Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Man, I spent like 10 minutes looking poo poo up and yikes, I somehow never came across that Neil was not such a good person.

I mean, he's married to Amanda Palmer. That tells you all you need to know about both people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, he's married to Amanda Palmer. That tells you all you need to know about both people.

Let's pretend, for a moment, that I don't know who that is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Let's pretend, for a moment, that I don't know who that is.

Very obnoxious singer with bad drawn-on eyebrows.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Very obnoxious singer with bad eyebrows.

That much is evident, but... 's that it?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

King Vidiot posted:

That much is evident, but... 's that it?

She's a very much the personification of upper-middle-class art school grad girl, take that as you will. She ticked off some for tone-deaf statements about class and privilege (money not racial). As far as I know she just annoys people vs. being horrible.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
She also somewhat caused her boyfriend to relapse, OD, and die, and then used the audio in her music iirc

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean has gaiman been accused of rape or sexual assault?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Coffee And Pie posted:

She also somewhat caused her boyfriend to relapse, OD, and die, and then used the audio in her music iirc

Did not know the first part of that, all I knew about that story was "she faked her own death and recorded her then-BF coming home to find her 'body'" and that's the audio she later used as interludes on an album.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

END ME SCOOB posted:

Did not know the first part of that, all I knew about that story was "she faked her own death and recorded her then-BF coming home to find her 'body'" and that's the audio she later used as interludes on an album.

Jesus, that's pretty hosed up. That's straight up emotional abuse right there.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

isn't that sort of like that story (I don't know if it was fabricated or not) that Taylor Swift deliberately broke up with guys so she could write break up songs?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Palmer was one of the first musicians to successfully fund a tour / album cycle through Kickstarter, I think to the tune of a million dollars or so.

Then she attempted to pay other musicians on the tour with "hugs and beer", which didn't go over well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aces High posted:

isn't that sort of like that story (I don't know if it was fabricated or not) that Taylor Swift deliberately broke up with guys so she could write break up songs?

it came out during the filming of Cats that Taylor Swift is pretty much owned as property by her dad, who forced Tom Hooper to include the catnip orgy scene because it made her "sexier"

Taylor Swift's life is an absolute rabbit-hole of staggeringly awful that nobody wants to go down

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t deny that Taylor Swift is probably puppeteered to hell and back, every pop star is, but a lot of the complaints about her having too many breakups just came across as a sexist meme to me. What, a woman in her 20s not having settled down yet? Shock, gasp.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t deny that Taylor Swift is probably puppeteered to hell and back, every pop star is, but a lot of the complaints about her having too many breakups just came across as a sexist meme to me. What, a woman in her 20s not having settled down yet? Shock, gasp.

Unpopular opinion but many would go “why are we singling our Taylor?? Sexist!!”

But like she’s one of the biggest acts on the planet male or female

And she was dating men that were also hugely famous too

Then in a pop world where you don’t want people to just buy your songs they want to buy you as a person, as a brand, which Taylor does quite well with her fans thinking they have this great insight to her life and her house and cats and mum being all part of her story- she writes songs sometimes with the famous ex in the title!

Of course people are going to comment. That is why your song is popular!!!

Dates John Mayer
Breaks up with John Mayer
Leaks to tabloids lots of goss on relationship but never says anything “officially”
Writes song called “dear john” about a breakup with many of the same traits as the leaked information
“Oh I don’t talk about inspiration for my songs”

She wants to have her cake and eat it too. Sure there are some sexist idiots but I don’t think it’s crazy to wonder about if the most manicured and controlled pop star image conscious woman in music right now had thoughts about her heavily publicised love life that she famously wrote hit singles about.

Also her biggest early song you belong with me is a slut shaming anthem soooo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nothing Taylor Swift has done compares to faking your own death, if that's true it's such an evil thing to do to someone.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’d fake my own death if I thought anyone would care

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nothing Taylor Swift has done compares to faking your own death, if that's true it's such an evil thing to do to someone.

Yeah, no, that's true. She discussed it on a podcast that happens to have convenient transcripts over here. The only part of that story I hadn't heard was "boyfriend later ODed over it" which I don't think is accurate from any telling I've heard. All she says on the show is "he was dead six months later".

...but she does also confess to using the audio recordings of him on the album post-mortem which is still pretty fuckeddddddd

quote:

Colleen: Okay, so there was a time where I came across this video of you, you were at a show, Amanda, and you were talking about how, and I'm going to use some words here that I think could be triggering to some of your audience. So I just-

Dylan: Colleen is right. This next section deals with suicide, drug use and death. And if those are three things or any one of those things are not something that you should be listening to right now or something you just don't want to hear, skip ahead approximately seven minutes and six seconds and you will skip this entire part.

Colleen: You had talked about how you would faked your own suicide in an attempt to convince your partner to stop doing drugs and you like you filmed it. Even used the audio in your music and that, when I watched that little video, I sat there dumbfounded. I was like, "What?" So I wanted to ask you, is that situation, was that real? Is that a thing that actually happened? Just, if you could help me understand that situation? Because that is something that I do look at and wonder, "What?"

Amanda: Yeah. I was a freshman in college, I was 17. And my boyfriend at the time was not using heroin, but had been, and it was a condition of our relationship that he not used again. And so, one night, and it was an agreement in our relationship that I didn't care what he does as long as he was honest with me, all I asked is that he not lie. I was like, I can handle anything. So if you're going to go back and you're going to use, if it's going to happen, at least come talk to me, but don't let me find out by accident So, he came to me one night, and he told me, "I promised I would tell you and I just have every intention of going out and doing this." And it was very frightening. And really, kind of heartbreaking because I was like, "Oh, wow, here you are considering me and telling me the truth. But what you're telling me is really terrible." And I was-

Colleen: Yeah.

Amanda: I was 17. You have to understand. I just didn't come from a background where I had any junkie friends or I knew what any of it meant. I was so lost. And-

Colleen: Right.

Amanda: All I knew is the degree to which it was bad and dangerous. And I mean, this is coming from a teenager who did a lot of drugs, but I didn't do a lot of hard drugs or really any hard drugs until I was older, and even then. (LAUGHTER) This was just like, I was out of my wheelhouse. And I was so angry at him, and I didn't know how to express it, and I didn't know what to do. And he had also told me, "I'm going to come home to your dorm at the end of the night." And I was like, I don't even know what this means. I don't even know what's going to happen. I don't even know what these drugs do to him. I just don't know anything. And, I was like an over dramatic performance art theatrical weirdo in my freshman year of college. And I don't look back at this with any kind of like, braggy pride, but I definitely look back at that 17 year old and I'm like, "Man what is lovely situation." And so I like got some fake blood and chocolate syrup and like poured it all over my bed and I lay there, in a pool of blood in my freshman dorm room bed and was like, "I'm just going to wait here until he comes back."

Dylan: Yeah. Yeah.

Amanda: This is my way of expressing I'm really angry and confused and I don't know what to do. And I also, I didn't film it or video it but I did have... I was an experimental music major. I taped everything in my life at the time. So I left a tape recorder running in my room.

Colleen: Got you.

Amanda: And he came in. I lay there for like an hour flipping the tape over again and again and again for two hours, it seemed endless and he finally came back.
And he was scared shirtless for a second. And I let him be a scared shirtless for like 20 seconds, which felt like an eternity and then I laughed and I said, "Fooled you. You've really scared the poo poo out of me and you've really disappointed me and I don't know what to do in my relationship right now." And he thought it was really sick and funny. But he also had a very black sense of humor, we both did, it was what attracted us to each other.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The story I heard was that she faked her own suicide to scare her boyfriend straight and it ended up making things worse to the point where he basically killed himself with drugs

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

The story I heard was that she faked her own suicide to scare her boyfriend straight and it ended up making things worse to the point where he basically killed himself with drugs

That sounds like people trying to attribute it to her because they don’t like her already.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

teacup posted:

She wants to have her cake and eat it too. Sure there are some sexist idiots but I don’t think it’s crazy to wonder about if the most manicured and controlled pop star image conscious woman in music right now had thoughts about her heavily publicised love life that she famously wrote hit singles about.

I can buy this, in high school I remember one of the kids that had a band wrote a song about a girl he dated, a girl I was good friends with, and she was absolutely livid when it was getting school radio play because the content was straight up fabrication of what their relationship was like. It's a song that's stuck with me because it was also a really awful song and I don't think his career went much further than high school radio fame

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

G Willow Wilson commented on the Warren Ellis situation

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1273267066829549568

TL;DR
1) She believes Ellis' accusers and witnessed predatory behavior herself

2) It was an open secret in the 90s-00s (she left the industry for a bit after, so she can't vouch for how things were then). Essentially every pro in the industry knew, which obviously comes with
a) everyone looked the other way, and it's heavily implied that
b) a number of them significantly greater than 0 did so because they were abusers themselves

3) Ellis was a gatekeeper. If you broke into the business during that period, it was entirely because of who you knew. You had to make a good impression/get in good graces with him and a handful of other artists/writers. There were no applications, hiring initiatives, talent searches. All of this goes back to 2b in that he almost certainly wasn't the only one taking advantage of people during this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1273367167996583936?s=21

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
About loving time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

worst person in Scientology after David Miscavige

gently caress him I hope the church is in complete turmoil over everything going on right now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

worst person in Scientology after David Miscavige

gently caress him I hope the church is in complete turmoil over everything going on right now

He’s not in Scientology! We hardly know him! You’re a suppressive person if you say he represents Scientology!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Looking forward to this tone from the eventual statement

https://twitter.com/Steeeeeeeevens/status/1273077371986477056

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm assuming this is fake, mostly because she says she was 21 when it happened so was obviously too old for him, but still a good thread.

https://twitter.com/livstadler/status/1273105636507766790?s=20

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, no, that's true. She discussed it on a podcast that happens to have convenient transcripts over here. The only part of that story I hadn't heard was "boyfriend later ODed over it" which I don't think is accurate from any telling I've heard. All she says on the show is "he was dead six months later".

...but she does also confess to using the audio recordings of him on the album post-mortem which is still pretty fuckeddddddd

Thanks for posting this. While the fake suicide thing is immensely hosed up, 17-year olds are also going to do stupid as hell poo poo. But if you don't really seem to realize that by the time you're an adult and even seem weirdly proud of it to the point where you're sharing it with others like this, I think you haven't really learned anything past the smell of your own farts.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's been a few articles about their open relationship being more his idea than something she was 100% okay with. She asked him to be monogamous while she was pregnant with their kid but that only lasted a month or so before he told her he wasn't going to do it anymore.

This is just relationship drama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I didn't know that stuff came about about Taylor Swift and her old man. I know that's been the talk around Britney Spears for years though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stage parents are some wild, horrible poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't know that stuff came about about Taylor Swift and her old man. I know that's been the talk around Britney Spears for years though.

Britney Spears dad is a major league rear end in a top hat, he managed to weasel his way into controlling all of her money despite the fact she's now a 38 year old woman. She hates the dude and isn't on speaking terms with him, but legally he owns her. It's a creepy as Hell situation.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Skwirl posted:

I'm assuming this is fake, mostly because she says she was 21 when it happened so was obviously too old for him, but still a good thread.

https://twitter.com/livstadler/status/1273105636507766790?s=20

She told this exact story on the Blocked Party podcast back in December. Like ten years ago I heard on some podcast I can't remember that every young female comedian in LA has a Chris D'Elia horror story.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Britney Spears dad is a major league rear end in a top hat, he managed to weasel his way into controlling all of her money despite the fact she's now a 38 year old woman. She hates the dude and isn't on speaking terms with him, but legally he owns her. It's a creepy as Hell situation.

Is it a power of attorney thing that’s a holdover from the 07/08 “public meltdown?” That’s so hosed.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Is it a power of attorney thing that’s a holdover from the 07/08 “public meltdown?” That’s so hosed.

Pretty much.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't think Spears' father (Jamie Spears) still has that power of attorney. He requested to 'temporarily' step down last year, not long after Kevin Federline filed a restraining order against him on behalf of his two children, due to an abusive incident. The conservatorship was under legal review.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 19, 2020

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Story just came out about Ansel Elgort so Baby Driver's icky for two reasons now!

WARNING: The story is kinda graphic so read at your own risk. I've put it in spoiler tags in case

https://twitter.com/ltsgabby/status/1273974928853827584?s=20

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wanted to figure out who Ansel Elgort was and found out that he might have bullied people using racial slurs in high school and is into open relationships too. (I believe that most of the time, one person is way more into a open relationship, than the other person in the relationship is)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Not sure if it's in those links, but he also said in an interview that he keeps nerdy things in his home to disarm women because he describes himself as "very threatening"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure if it's in those links, but he also said in an interview that he keeps nerdy things in his home to disarm women because he describes himself as "very threatening"

oh wow that's quite a thing to say :stare: