Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tempura Wizard posted:

Unfortunately it depends and you really have no way of knowing. Typically Nintendo published games go up 9 PST the night before, but for third-party you may have to wait until 8 AM PST the day of release. The only way to find out is to check at 9 that night before. Your local system time doesn't matter.

Thanks! It was announcing it would use the internet to check so I didn't think the system time would matter, appreciate the clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I would hope a present day Pokemon Snap wouldn't be lacking for content since it's a rail shooter, and I don't think it's terribly unreasonable to assume there's not a huge amount going on under the hood; When you're essentially making a diorama and the point is to just see cool poo poo then one would assume it would be pretty high priority to jam pack it full of said cool poo poo that would lend tons of replayability. Sword and Shield put me firmly in the camp of thinking Game Freak is kind of pathetically lazy and the IP should be in the hands of someone else, so I'm glad it's Bandai Namco making this thing.

IIRC, Sword and Shield seemed to have a lot of issues in development, with Game Freak probably not focusing nearly as much as they should on their first HD console game but apparently having staff working on a bunch of other projects at the same time, which apparently were all flops.

Mind you, Game Freak itself doesn't usually develop the spinoffs, I think?

Pokemon Snap was a very short game, but it was still really good. I feel like it helps that it has the opposite feel that a rail shooter usually does, being relaxed and explorative rather than a frenetic race against the clock. (When you want to get a whole bunch of high-score photos in one go, that's another story, but you work up to that) There's even the bit on the volcano where the giant egg on the tracks stops you, and you can stay there as long as you want attracting enough Charmander until you have a lens-filling dance troupe.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The burnout thing should’ve been 20 dollars tops

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The burnout thing should’ve been 20 dollars tops

yeah i was expecting $30 with the switch tax but $50 is loving insane. i'm firmly in the "put everything on switch" camp but i'm not paying that for a 12-year-old racing game no matter how much i love it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

If it were Burnout 3 then we’d be talking

Yeah, I never really liked Paradise much. I don’t think open world works well for Burnout.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think it works great, but the base game's premise of finish lines didn't really help. With there only being 9 potential finish lines in the open world environment meant that eventually parts of races would get samey because there's only so many ways you can approach like the south-west finish line. The DLC put in some different non-landmark finish lines and it felt so much better.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ring Fit Adventure is showing up at a lot of retail websites over the past few days. Still get snapped up instantly but the hope is there.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
My joy-cons are becoming absolutely garbage and I was wondering if I should invest in a Pro controller. Anyone have any experience? Downfalls? Games that should work with one but doesn't?

Not that my switch library is huge: Animal Crossing, BotW, Dead Cells, Smash, MarioKart, Fire Emblem.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not a Children posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is showing up at a lot of retail websites over the past few days. Still get snapped up instantly but the hope is there.

I’m seeing a bunch of new ads for it and have personally seen a bunch of copies in the last week at stores. Seems like there was a massive restock. I recommend people to check out their local Walmarts. It’s $10 less there too.

Lucas Archer posted:

My joy-cons are becoming absolutely garbage and I was wondering if I should invest in a Pro controller. Anyone have any experience? Downfalls? Games that should work with one but doesn't?

Not that my switch library is huge: Animal Crossing, BotW, Dead Cells, Smash, MarioKart, Fire Emblem.

Absolutely. The only downfall is the dpad is too sensitive and isn’t that great but otherwise it’s a fantastic controller. If your joycons are drifting, make sure to have Nintendo fix them for free once they start reopening their repair centers back up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spoondick posted:

just saw sunless sea went up in april and started playing the poo poo out of it... it's good, basically a roguelike rpg on a boat with a fantasy victorian theme... kinda like the decemberists the video game

I can't tell if I'd like this or not. I like roguelikes and ships, but I'm not too into the grimdark thing.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Weedle posted:

yeah i was expecting $30 with the switch tax but $50 is loving insane. i'm firmly in the "put everything on switch" camp but i'm not paying that for a 12-year-old racing game no matter how much i love it

I adore Paradise and am almost certainly picking this up someday, but $50 is laughable for a simple port running at a higher resolution. The upcoming THPS game is a full blown remake with totally new assets, and it's only $40. Bringing old EA hits to Switch seems like a no-brainer, and yet EA still finds a way to set themselves up for disappointment.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Midjack posted:

The last time they came out for anything was the PSP in Japan in 2005. There’s a Capcom exec on record in an interview from 2010 saying that it wouldn’t be released on PSN due to lack of IP clearance. They probably signed a 10-year deal for some music track and couldn’t get it renewed, music rights always seem to be really contentious in Japanese media properties.

Isn't the Dragon Quest composer super stubborn about his tracks?

on top of being being a crazy nationalist

Lucas Archer posted:

I bought one of these and never looked back.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People have been born, graduated high school and now have children of their own since the last pokemon snap. About god drat time nintendo.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Lord Lambeth posted:

Isn't the Dragon Quest composer super stubborn about his tracks?

on top of being being a crazy nationalist
Yeah, he's a founding member of Japan's version of the RIAA and is the reason things get weird with DQ music like how the symphonic version gets ripped out of western releases in favor of the synth version or vice-versa.

also a homophobe

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

Pro controller is an excellent purchase. I've never noticed the issue with the D-pad myself. It has battery FOR DAYS, it seriously never dies and is fantastic. It's been holding up just fine and I expect not to replace it. In general I don't expect to replace controllers.

Also I just got my North American SNES controller! My folks mailed it to me finally after that goon was kind enough to buy it for me Stateside. I'm super pleased with it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Pro Controller owns, it's perfectly comfortable, the battery lasts like a fuckin week and the gyro is great. The only downside is the d-pad is good but not perfect and it's pretty pricey, also the only game it doesn't work with off the top of my head is Pokémon Go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chaleski posted:

Pro Controller owns, it's perfectly comfortable, the battery lasts like a fuckin week and the gyro is great. The only downside is the d-pad is good but not perfect and it's pretty pricey, also the only game it doesn't work with off the top of my head is Pokémon Go.

Super Mario Party. That colouring book game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Just noticed Project Highrise is on sale on the eShop. I've played it on PC but I'm wondering how the Switch port is if anyone here has played it.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna go pick myself up a Pro controller later. I'm looking forward to playing a game where I can move my character towards the screen now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm so defeated :negative:

The sound de-sync issue is so bad I can't play any games unless they are on mute. It's fine for mindless games where I'll listen to a podcast anyway but it's breaking my little heart.

Edit: this is a dock issue. It's fine handheld.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 17, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Super Mario Party. That colouring book game.

Snipperclips

Pro Controller is great though

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know if this was talked about but Thief Simulator apparently got a big update. Most people here probably got it for $2 when it was on sale.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are there any 3rd party controllers with HD rumble? I just think it's Neat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Caved and bought RE4 right before the sale ended and god drat it still looks good and plays good. They absolutely don’t need to remake it yet. Wait until 10th generation of consoles imo. I’d rather have a Code Veronica remake next.

YggiDee posted:

Are there any 3rd party controllers with HD rumble? I just think it's Neat.

No. Just the official controllers have it at the moment.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 17, 2020

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
y'all complaining about the cost of Burnout: Paradise Remastered but nobody mentioned the 2 year lag from other consoles and pc's? c'mon slackers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EA sucks so much. They could release compilations of classic games like Road Rash and the Strike series and I’d buy them up in a heartbeat.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

JawnV6 posted:

y'all complaining about the cost of Burnout: Paradise Remastered but nobody mentioned the 2 year lag from other consoles and pc's? c'mon slackers

I think at some point that just became an internalized part of The Switch Experience.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kevyn posted:

Pokémon Snap was AOC’s favorite video game growing up so if you buy this you are antifa

The photographer in Pokemon Snap conspicuously avoids any representation of exploitation and violence of urban pokemon.
You are only presented with a clean, wholesome, rural... sanitized view of the Pokemon world, wholly unlike the documentary film Detective Pikachu.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lucas Archer posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Gonna go pick myself up a Pro controller later. I'm looking forward to playing a game where I can move my character towards the screen now.
I have one of the wired Pro controllers and I don't like the layout all that much, the left analog stick being higher up on the controller messes me up and the + and - buttons are placed awkwardly IMO. I have a $20 adapter called the Magic-NS that allows me to use my Wii U Pro controller on my Switch instead and I love it. My Switch Pro Controller hasn't seen use in like a year or so now. It also works on PC and is compatible with the DS3 and DS4.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SeANMcBAY posted:

EA sucks so much. They could release compilations of classic games like Road Rash and the Strike series and I’d buy them up in a heartbeat.

EA has sucked from the exact moment that they decided to stop doing sequels to NFL/NBA Street

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

EA has sucked from the exact moment that they decided to stop doing sequels to NFL/NBA Street/Skate/Burnout/Dead Space/SSX/NBA Jam, Def Jam: FFNY...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so defeated :negative:

The sound de-sync issue is so bad I can't play any games unless they are on mute. It's fine for mindless games where I'll listen to a podcast anyway but it's breaking my little heart.

Edit: this is a dock issue. It's fine handheld.

Is your TV on Game Mode or whatever?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Commander Keene posted:

I have one of the wired Pro controllers and I don't like the layout all that much, the left analog stick being higher up on the controller messes me up and the + and - buttons are placed awkwardly IMO. I have a $20 adapter called the Magic-NS that allows me to use my Wii U Pro controller on my Switch instead and I love it. My Switch Pro Controller hasn't seen use in like a year or so now. It also works on PC and is compatible with the DS3 and DS4.

That’s not the official pro controller. The official one is wireless and very good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think EA had a problem with Dead Space having more sequels

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

They won't do that. Having a fixed camera makes the game 1000x easier to develop.

Andrast posted:

That would be like developing two different games

I don't see why taking the player off the rails affects anything. I don't mean make a different game with interactive elements, just being able to walk off the beaten path.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't see why taking the player off the rails affects anything. I don't mean make a different game with interactive elements, just being able to walk off the beaten path.

Because there has to be stuff back there!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Having a fixed camera means you can always control the scene and exactly what the player is able to see. You can use this to improve development time and increase performance by making scenes likes dioramas with incomplete or missing items where the player would never be able to see. By opening it up to full character/camera movement you're essentially creating an entirely different style of game and have to develop your scenes to be viewed from any angle which makes things much more complex.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

Caved and bought RE4 right before the sale ended and god drat it still looks good and plays good. They absolutely don’t need to remake it yet. Wait until 10th generation of consoles imo. I’d rather have a Code Veronica remake next.

No. Just the official controllers have it at the moment.

I'm about halfway through, I also bought it in the recent sale. A remake like RE2 or 3's could be GOTY material. It's still very playable and I'm having a blast. I really just wish the camera was better. If it had a modernized camera, I'd be right with you. However, I agree CV (or RE1 again) would be better to remake. It doesn't need a remake but I'd love to play one.

This is my first full play through of 4, this game gets so creepy and tense it is awesome. I understand why a lot of people think it's the best in the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah a fixed camera is an important part of what snap is. The game is designed around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pokemon Snap is pretty much entirely about finding the right moment to capture a shot. You can do this with free roaming but it's a fundamentally different game. It may not be a worse game but it's a different one since it takes away the need for precise timing and positioning.