Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Animal-Mother posted:

How does Soong have a son when his wife was a robot?

In my headcanon, the Soongs have been reproducing by cloning for centuries, hence them all being identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Juliana Tainer was a real woman who died in the crystalline entity attack, Soong just modeled that android after her. Plus it’s not as if Soong couldn’t have had whatshisface with a different woman entirely.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In my headcanon, the Soongs have been reproducing by cloning for centuries, hence them all being identical.

Arik Soong probably rewrote his DNA so that he'll only have male clone offsprings, or some poo poo.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Think I've said it get before, but before Picard I'd never experienced a show that had pacing feel like it was simultaneously incredibly slow and insanely fast. It felt like it took forever to go anywhere or have anything happen, and that feeling never went away, even when I know that a bunch of stuff technically occured.

Plus I'm still salty about them immediately pivoting away from the three most interesting characters they introduced. I am, of course, talking about Number One and the two Romulan hired hands. Seriously, I think those were basically the only new characters I actually wanted to know more about and see more of.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/robertdmcneill/status/1273353977745362947?s=20

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My only issue with this is that the initials RDM don't refer to Ronald D. Moore.

(Or maybe they do. The camera cuts over to some random bearded guy who's going to explain things, and then he's never seen again.)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That would be great, but if they acknowledge onscreen that it's the same character wouldn't that open them up to a whole mess with the original creator of the character? Or would it not change anything about rights from the Voyager days since it's a whole different production?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

That would be great, but if they acknowledge onscreen that it's the same character wouldn't that open them up to a whole mess with the original creator of the character? Or would it not change anything about rights from the Voyager days since it's a whole different production?

I've heard other explanations. Producers and Robert McNeill said that Locarno was irredeemable and deep down a bad guy.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Nicholas_Locarno posted:

"The First Duty" writers Moore and Shankar never bought into the "irredeemable" argument however, stating on a later occasion that they were "bummed" that the very same actor McNeill was recast as Tom Paris, instead of reprising his role as Locarno as they could see no valid reason as to why Locarno's actions should have been irredeemable whereas Paris' equally serious actions were not. Shankar took a jab at any claim the decision was due to royalties when he jokingly added that he would not have minded the cheques either, knowing full well that he, as then tenured staff writer, was not entitled to any. (TNG Season 5 Blu-ray: "The First Duty", audio commentary)

The royalty thing keeps getting brought up but both were staff writers and wouldn't get residuals.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

My only issue with this is that the initials RDM don't refer to Ronald D. Moore.

(Or maybe they do. The camera cuts over to some random bearded guy who's going to explain things, and then he's never seen again.)

I too initially read that as a 4th wall breaking camera swing to the director's chair. And would totally go for that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

xerxus posted:

The royalty thing keeps getting brought up but both were staff writers and wouldn't get residuals.

I remember reading (on a buffy forum?) in the early 2000s that whenever the word Zima was used there was an ad-guy who gets residuals checks from tv shows. I want to keep believing this.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
I'm hearing a rumor that there's some ST:D writers involved in Foundation. Does anyone know if this is true?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1275883318354104323

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
What did Quebec do?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thom12255 posted:

What did Quebec do?

It knows.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

What did Quebec do?

Imagine an actual natively French-speaking person in a scene with Jean-Luc Picard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
actual natively French-speaking person
Quebecois

Pick one. :colbert:

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
The non-joke answer is that Quebec has laws about contests that most companies don't want to bother dealing with. They probably have to pay taxes or something I don't remember.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Psychorider posted:

The non-joke answer is that Quebec has laws about contests that most companies don't want to bother dealing with. They probably have to pay taxes or something I don't remember.

https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835

quote:

For example, in order for sweepstakes with prizes worth more than a certain value to be open to residents of Quebec, the companies sponsoring the sweepstakes must take some or all of the following steps:

-Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstakes' launch.
-Publish the full text of the sweepstakes' rules at least 10 days before the giveaway begins.
-Pay a fee of up to 10% of the sweepstakes' value, depending on who is allowed to enter.
-Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
-Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
-Allow the government of Quebec the right to approve any changes to the giveaway that need to be made once it has started, and to approve canceling the giveaway if it becomes necessary to do so.
-File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
-Agree to let the RACJ mediate any disagreements with the public.
-File security in the amount of the prize value, to ensure that the prizes are actually awarded.
-Offer the sweepstakes rules in French as well as English.
-Follow a number of other rules and guidelines listed under Quebec's Sweepstakes Laws.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://intl.startrek.com/gallery/every-image-we-have-from-lower-decks-so-far/star-trek-lower-decks-1171/9

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe Beverly isn’t dead?

https://twitter.com/trekmovie/status/1277713694588391427?s=21

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Not before she appears on Picard anyway

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"Jean-Luc, I..." *explodes*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not to be outdone by Icheb's death, a whole episode of graphic torture and death has been devised for beloved character Beverly Crusher

Tune into Picard while we kick your old dog

gently caress you viewers lol

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Picard talks about the value of life while Seven methodically phasers a basket of kittens in the background.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Picard returns to Earth to find Beverley in a mental institution, claiming she's married to a candle.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Beverly, you married me!”

“Jean-Luc, I know!”

Camera cuts back to Picard, who is now a candle sitting on a table. The end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

NSFW

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edit: thought it was new.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

“Beverly, you married me!”

“Jean-Luc, I know!”

Camera cuts back to Picard, who is now a candle sitting on a table. The end.

I'm loving sold

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lower Decks will launch August 6th on CBS All Access, still no word on non-US/Canada release.

Edit: poster

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 1, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Is there even a trailer for Lower Decks?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Is there even a trailer for Lower Decks?

Yep, right here.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Due to Covid budget cuts, everything after the first 15 minutes of the pilot will be a repeat of Wacky Deli.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do all modern Trek ships just have to be hideous? Is that a rule?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Arglebargle III posted:

Do all modern Trek ships just have to be hideous? Is that a rule?

That design is rather dumb and reminds me of the Oberth, with the primary and secondary hulls being widely separated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sad King Billy posted:

That design is rather dumb and reminds me of the Oberth, with the primary and secondary hulls being widely separated.

In this case it's both a joke about dumb ships and a metaphor for the division between the upper and lower decks

Probably, it's a comedy

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Did they photoshop folds into it? To make it look like a poster from prior to the mid-1980’s that were machine folded and mailed flat to the local movie distributors/exhibitors? For a show that is only available digitally?

I can’t wrap my mind around the folds.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Did they photoshop folds into it? To make it look like a poster from prior to the mid-1980’s that were machine folded and mailed flat to the local movie distributors/exhibitors? For a show that is only available digitally?

I can’t wrap my mind around the folds.

Yeah - apparently they were trying to evoke that feeling.

Maybe it'll also evoke TV Star Trek in the 80s and be poo poo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I do like the line work on the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why does it seem like they took better art and then auto-traced over it in Adobe Illustrator?