Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Warbird posted:

Rude Tales of Magic: Ride or DIE for Stirfry

If the series just ended with Stir Fry singing Hey Soul Sister I would be perfectly at peace with that

Also there’s no catch all dnd actual play thread so I’ll say it here, the latest episode of dungeons and daddies gaslit me so hard I legit had to pause it more than once and be like, no I’m not going crazy this doesn’t make sense, was a solid sode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

I just finished a murder of crows and would now officially would Die For Stirfry.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like Come at the King so far. What are the odds that Fredrick, Grimothy's Forever Friend, was eaten at last years power ball?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
TBH I'm finding Smellulus really hard to listen to (and I too would Die For Stirfry). The voice just hits my brain wrong.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

TBH I'm finding Smellulus really hard to listen to (and I too would Die For Stirfry). The voice just hits my brain wrong.

I’m glad someone else feels this way. I don’t know what it is, but the closest I can describe it as hearing someone in the process of developing a voice but they aren’t quite there and it isn’t a finished product.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Smellulus's voice works for me, but I hear it as him trying to redefine himself. That said, I also don't think he ever defined himself as an adult in the first place. And now he's doing this awkward thing of trying to fit in and be the person people expect him to be as if he's pushing his boundaries and doing things for himself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I listened to the newest episode while exercising and the dust conversation made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off a treadmill.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
As an unapologetic bosstones fan, what a good episode :allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Valleyant posted:

As an unapologetic bosstones fan, what a good episode :allears:

Same, got a huge stupid grin on my face when I realized what was being referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

Same with the Reel Big Fish song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc

Ska lives on in my heart.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Smellulus's voice works for me, but I hear it as him trying to redefine himself. That said, I also don't think he ever defined himself as an adult in the first place. And now he's doing this awkward thing of trying to fit in and be the person people expect him to be as if he's pushing his boundaries and doing things for himself.

I was thinking about this more, and I think the issue for me is, when he starts talking you can't be sure if he's going to keep talking for another 5 seconds or another 3 minutes, so I wind up tuning out.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I, Butthole posted:

hee hee hee heeeeeee

erry day

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A+ ep

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Was a good sode

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tim Platt has a real talent for creating just the most pathetic characters.

Ali Fisher breaking character to declare "it's just too sad" was highly relatable.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I am way behind and am just now catching up and I cannot believe they did a Jackass episode, I'm dying

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I don't want this to be a show based on recontextualized alt rock radio hits of the mid to late 90s and early 00s but here we are and I'm not mad.

I'm not super hot on Smellulus but gosh with Jean-Luc. "I really liked you!"

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 2, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Smellulus was skimming from the top at his old job, or if he had hidden debts. Maybe a drug or alcohol problem.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wondered if they were going to make the emperor cool after his description in episode 2, because that seems to go against Branson’s general ethos, but of course he isn’t. Just as Hammerhair is an almost humanly beautiful bugbear, the emperor is an almost bugbearly handsome human :haw:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awww, poor Grimothee.

Also, here's an animatic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVcTKb_3PW4

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I got some woody Allen vibes from the emperor

Also ill loving kill you I lost my poo poo aha

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 16, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
jesus christ smellulus

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep going back and forth on if Smellulus is doing this as an act.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I'm not a big fan of Come at the King compared to the normal campaign, but episode 3 is one of the best podcast episodes I have ever heard. Pure gold from start to finish.

I keep forgetting the minotaur guy is in the party, and constantly mix him up with Smellulus until the sad apartment bit.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao was NOT expecting that plot turn but I like it, so good

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 29, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guys what if Smellulus dies and Torrin, as his adopted daughter, becomes Empress and breaks up the Empire :aaa:

Anyone listen to Critical Bits? Tim Platt was a guest on an episode that also premiered today and his manic Tim Platt-ness was turned up to 11.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I gotta be honest, I kind of don't blame Smellulus for making the choice he did.

Also, he got to kiss a dragon and a free turtle, things are working out well for him so far.

Edit:

Oh! The turtle is named Little one! and that huge turtle in the sewer was named Little one! Calling it now, same turtle.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 29, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wonder how much of the plot swerve was due to them realizing this sub campaign may have to go longer than expected due to this being a country of fuckups.

Edit: The US that is, not the other one.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 29, 2020

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this really feels like a 'ruh roh, time for act 2!' kinda swerve but its also genius so

but drat if i can't help but wonder why they are even playing d&d at this point

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh! The turtle is named Little one! and that huge turtle in the sewer was named Little one! Calling it now, same turtle.

Yeah and BRanson made a big deal about how all those goodberries will give him a healthy long life.

Excellent episode, got a bunch of big laughs from me. I continue to love Ali's horrible little harpy voice.

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

Warbird posted:

I wonder how much of the plot swerve was due to them realizing this sub campaign may have to go longer than expected due to this being a country of fuckups.

Edit: The US that is, not the other one.

In Rude Talks of Chatting they said they’ll be going back to the main campaign when Come at the King comes to a natural conclusion since they know the pandemic is going to last a while and they’ve gotten comfortable recording remotely now. They’re not going to stretch it out because of the lockdown.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I gotta be honest, I kind of don't blame Smellulus for making the choice he did.

Shooters shoot, baby, you know it!!!!

I wasn't really liking this mini-season, but hoo boy, this episode turned that RIGHT around

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lmao Tzu posted:

In Rude Talks of Chatting they said they’ll be going back to the main campaign when Come at the King comes to a natural conclusion since they know the pandemic is going to last a while and they’ve gotten comfortable recording remotely now. They’re not going to stretch it out because of the lockdown.

How are the bonus podcast episodes? I was considering signing up to the Patreon but didn't realise $10 a month was the lowest tier that got those, which is a bit too much for me right now.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Lmao Tzu posted:

That's good! I stopped after the first ep of the miniseries because I just didn't like it as much as the main arc, but if it's going to be pretty short then I'll give it another try. (Doesn't help that the last episode of the main arc was one of the best episodes of a roleplaying podcast I've ever heard.)

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

Party Boat posted:

How are the bonus podcast episodes? I was considering signing up to the Patreon but didn't realise $10 a month was the lowest tier that got those, which is a bit too much for me right now.

The Rude Talks of Chatting are interesting behind the scenes stuff that go into what Branson had planned vs what ends up happening, how they use their experience doing improv together in roleplaying, the session zero for Come at the King, a few deleted scenes etc.

The Vampire the Masquerade one off was amazing and almost worth the price of admission alone.

I’d say it’s worth paying $10 once and downloading all the content if you can’t donate monthly.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yeah the masquerade one was great I had patreon till the other month when my spouse lost her job due to covid, discretionary income dropped a lot, I’ll probably sub again at some point, I generally will switch up my patreon and binge through but have a soft spot for rude tales

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Come at the King has been real good, but recently having started a commute again and listening to old episodes, I really miss the OG crew :(

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Yeah haven’t been enjoying Come at the king so I dropped it until the regular series comes back. It lacked the same charm the regular series has and I didn’t really enjoy the characters.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I do enjoy the Come at the King stuff, but it does have a much different tone. It's kind of like Naddpod and Trinyvale, much better in small doses. I don't know if I'd keep listening if this wasn't going to just be a short term thing. The harpy is loving hilarious to me though.

And I'm relistening because I just signed up for the patreon, and I do enjoy the original characters more.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If you’re missing the original cast of characters, they’re doing a live event at the end of the month:

https://mobile.twitter.com/of_rude/status/1293233293660479488

Today’s episode has been delayed. It’s prime podcasting-at-work hours, and I don’t have my content :argh:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Taylor's said that they're looking to have the live show be a purchasable download after the fact