Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeeeeeeeeesus.

https://twitter.com/DougTenNapel/status/1273263987845730305

https://twitter.com/DougTenNapel/status/1273292941470113792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can kinda see how Mike would get along with this guy without buying into his worst beliefs. Or, charitably, knowing/realizing his worst beliefs.

This is one of those types that so long as he minds his words and doesn't let the full facade show, he can come off as misguided but maybe reasonable enough. Then you take a peak past the polite mask and see the goblin show for what it is.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Asking very nicely, can we please not link directly to that shitheel's rantings in here?

I think we can all agree he's pretty gross; anyone who wants to read more can find him pretty easily.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Asking very nicely, can we please not link directly to that shitheel's rantings in here?

I think we can all agree he's pretty gross; anyone who wants to read more can find him pretty easily.

Yeah he's already responded to Mike's statement and as you can expect its as loving stupid a response as one can think.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I've been trying to follow this thread...did Mike actually say anything bad?

And yeah I don't think them making racy comments in Riffs is anything new.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AvesPKS posted:

I've been trying to follow this thread...did Mike actually say anything bad?
Not that I've seen referenced. But he co-founded and co-hosted a podcast with someone who has a long history of being extremely anti-gay (and gross in other ways).

So it's up to the individual to decide how much of an endorsement of this guy's views that implies.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/rifftrax/status/1273303744793411585

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This whole situation has made me realize how much of a workaholic Mike Nelson is. How many podcasts has he started while also writing and performing riffs?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
got to distract yourself from a horrible, lifelong headache somehow

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Doug keeps going...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DougTenNapel/status/1273312636202074113

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I always knew Doug was going to explode, he really isn't made for a post dark ages world.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

By popular demand posted:

I always knew Doug was going to explode, he really isn't made for a post dark ages world.

I literally only knew him as the guy who created Earthworm Jim until a day or two ago.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1272975577461460994

God Bless You, Frank Conniff

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Suffice to say, this isn't Doug's first homophobic tango.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Frank is the only one of the guys I follow individually, though Bill might get added now. This world doesn't deserve Frank (who looks ROUGH right now in some recent photos on facebook, but I think he might have lost a bunch of weight).

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Frank is the only one of the guys I follow individually, though Bill might get added now. This world doesn't deserve Frank (who looks ROUGH right now in some recent photos on facebook, but I think he might have lost a bunch of weight).

Bill has been killing it on Twitter lately, definitely pro-follow.

It's a pretty good response from Mike-- it's not great that he was doing anything with a renowned shithead like Doug, but at this point I will take what I can get from this disease-infested hell planet.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's at least far more than I was expecting. I agree with a lot of the suggestions on Twitter that he hold a Rifftrax sale where the proceeds go to BLM or some LGBTQ+ organization, or donate next month's 372 pages Patreon subscriptions to same.

This is a necessary first step that is a big relief (you know most hardcore conservatives would have flipped their poo poo about "SJWs and cancel culture" a la Doug here or Jerry Seinfeld or James Woods). Now the next step is to do something to show it isn't just words to try to make this issue go away.

I don't get the vibe from Mike in any medium that he's ultra-conservative in the way we mean that in 2020. He seems much more like an Arnold Schwarzenegger type Republican, where we'd probably argue until the end of time about taxes and education policy and tariffs and poo poo, but those are actual political issues you can debate and disagree on, unlike issues of basic human decency and empathy. Maybe that's just wishful thinking for a best case scenario, but I hope I'm at least close :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oh, Frank had a heart attack a while back and some lifestyle changes were forced on him if he wanted to keep, you know, living. I believe he's vegan now, but vegetarian for sure.

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273314197510782979

I guess people are mad Bill isn't throwing Mike under the bus now?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2020

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's at least far more than I was expecting. I agree with a lot of the suggestions on Twitter that he hold a Rifftrax sale where the proceeds go to BLM or some LGBTQ+ organization, or donate next month's 372 pages Patreon subscriptions to same.

This is a necessary first step that is a big relief (you know most hardcore conservatives would have flipped their poo poo about "SJWs and cancel culture" a la Doug here or Jerry Seinfeld or James Woods). Now the next step is to do something to show it isn't just words to try to make this issue go away.

I don't get the vibe from Mike in any medium that he's ultra-conservative in the way we mean that in 2020. He seems much more like an Arnold Schwarzenegger type Republican, where we'd probably argue until the end of time about taxes and education policy and tariffs and poo poo, but those are actual political issues you can debate and disagree on, unlike issues of basic human decency and empathy. Maybe that's just wishful thinking for a best case scenario, but I hope I'm at least close :ohdear:

That's the impression I've got from Mike as well. Conor has at least agreed that some 372 money is going to BLM/LGBTQ+ causes (I think all of the 372 patreon earnings go to charity anyway): https://twitter.com/clastowka/status/1273328929684762626

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Frank had a heart attack a while back and some lifestyle changes were forced on him if he wanted to keep, you know, living. I believe he's vegan now, but vegetarian for sure.

He also spent more than a decade living really heavily, drinking and drugging. He's been clean for 30-something years, now, though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Timby posted:

more than a decade living really heavily, drinking and drugging

wait....

...is that bad for you? :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Frank does talk about how he would get literally black out drunk while living in New York. In fact Time of the Apes reminded him of getting black out drunk, which is impossible!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
as many jokes as they make about the "stoic farmer that loved his wife so much he almost told her" i get that vibe from mike, he seems like he was born an old man and only wants to complain about people who "kick up a fuss". if you listen to him or read his books he is very much in the "there's no need to shout" demographic, i never read or heard anything of his that was specifically anti-(whatever) but he sure will make fun of someone for being loud. like, from his writings, he seems to be someone that just doesn't speak up and looks down on people who do.
i remember reading about mike being hired as a temp and, when his time at MST was up, he just quietly went back to his temp job until joel and the rest realized he wasn't there and reached out to him. he just seems like a funny, kinda dim guy that doesn't really think about these issues much.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273350969301049352

Scanning through a couple of the podcasts, this situation strikes me as Mike watching an old friend turn into a bigger and bigger rear end in a top hat over time but not really wanting to believe it. I hope he keeps making the right decisions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm thinking Doug TenNappel is either losing his drat mind or lost it years ago, every post he makes on Twitter he comes across more and more like the H.P. Lovecraft of homophobia.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I'm thinking Doug TenNappel is either losing his drat mind or lost it years ago, every post he makes on Twitter he comes across more and more like the H.P. Lovecraft of homophobia.
he lost it years ago. he used to go to queer forums and call people subhuman abominations, no hyperbole

it's been known for over a decade

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wasn't TenNappel the guy who was literally reduced to quivering tears in a corner because he realised he'd been in a room with A Gay?

If so, then holy poo poo about "snowflakes" being ultra-projection for these kinds of assholes.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I guess the game having a slimy brainless invertebrate dirt eater for a main character was semi-autobiographical

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'll still totally divorce Earthworm Jim, the Neverhood and Skullmonkeys from the man who created them. His homophobic brain worms can't make me hate those games, but they will make me not financially support him ever again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MachineryNoise posted:

Scanning through a couple of the podcasts, this situation strikes me as Mike watching an old friend turn into a bigger and bigger rear end in a top hat over time but not really wanting to believe it. I hope he keeps making the right decisions.

I wonder how much of Doug being Doug is easy to miss if you're not online very much like Mike is. Or isn't. That he tones it down in front of people who would react badly to the full monty in person (or in online teleconferencing, at least) would not shock me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’m a little conflicted on this whole mess. On the one hand I’ve never heard of this Doug guy before, and even in the original blog post that described this whole mess I found if notable that Mike was apparently not on all the episodes where the worst stuff was discussed. On the other hand, it sounds like it was well known that this guy was a piece of poo poo, and someone who knew him personally should’ve been aware of his issues even if they didn’t listen to those specific podcast episodes. I want to give Mike a chance, but it feels like a bit of a cop out to plead ignorance? I don’t know.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m a little conflicted on this whole mess. On the one hand I’ve never heard of this Doug guy before, and even in the original blog post that described this whole mess I found if notable that Mike was apparently not on all the episodes where the worst stuff was discussed. On the other hand, it sounds like it was well known that this guy was a piece of poo poo, and someone who knew him personally should’ve been aware of his issues even if they didn’t listen to those specific podcast episodes. I want to give Mike a chance, but it feels like a bit of a cop out to plead ignorance? I don’t know.

As I said earlier, Mike's libertarian leanings have been known, even since when he was hosting MST3K and occasionally interacting with fans. Beyond that, he literally suffers from a chronic headache almost all day, every day, and I imagine that severely limits his online time. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for the most part.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
We don't know Mike, or what he really thinks. We don't know how any of them truly think, really, except the terminally-online ones like Frank and Bill. It is kind of a cop-out to claim ignorance like Mike is doing but that's usually what is said when this sort of thing goes down. All we can really do is wait and see how he acts from here on in, and hope we see improvement. (My worst fear was "Mike boots Kevin and Bill, then starts riffing films with TenNapel" and that doesn't seem to be on the table, so I'm cautiously optimistic.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm really, really glad this godawful situation has been resolved in an apparently positive way for everyone except the bigoted jackasses.

Timby posted:

He also spent more than a decade living really heavily, drinking and drugging. He's been clean for 30-something years, now, though.

Just FYI this is the reason Bill W. got a credit in early seasons of MST3K.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 18, 2020

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm really, really glad this godawful situation has been resolved in an apparently positive way for everyone except the bigoted jackasses.

Just FYI this is the reason Bill W. got a credit in early seasons of MST3K.

And, getting clean and sober was how Frank got involved in MST3K in the first place, because he'd left NYC to go to rehab in Minneapolis, and started doing standup comedy there. Which of course eventually led to the MST3K gig. :)

E: also, as someone said, if Mike's apology statement is good enough for Frank, it's good enough for me.

And also,

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273361091557560321?s=20

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1273432214768881666?s=20

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Frank and Bill have said they believe Mike's apology is sincere. That's honestly good enough for me.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It's really wild watching the Audio Mullet and Babylon Bee gang cry over the twitter mob ruining Mike's life. Nobody's really mad at Mike anymore since he apologized, it's YOU everyone dislikes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Breadallelogram posted:

It's really wild watching the Audio Mullet and Babylon Bee gang cry over the twitter mob ruining Mike's life. Nobody's really mad at Mike anymore since he apologized, it's YOU everyone dislikes.

It's how they rope people in. They They make a big deal about how they're Christian or whatever to attract people who identify as Christian but aren't bigots. Then if those people realize that they've been hanging out with bigoted trash they deliberately don't criticize them, they criticize the people who rightly point out they're bigoted trash to give themselves a false veneer of being just ordinary folks being persecuted.

It's a weaponized version of that one Geek Social Fallacy.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's how they rope people in. They They make a big deal about how they're Christian or whatever to attract people who identify as Christian but aren't bigots. Then if those people realize that they've been hanging out with bigoted trash they deliberately don't criticize them, they criticize the people who rightly point out they're bigoted trash to give themselves a false veneer of being just ordinary folks being persecuted.

It's a weaponized version of that one Geek Social Fallacy.

Yeah, it's nothing new. It's just really jarring to see them employ this tactic when this has been the least "cancel culture"-y instance of this kind of thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I hope in the after times that we get more The Mads from MST3K tours, as Frank and Trace are wonderful live. (Their riff on "More Dates for Kay" in the live reunion show is a classic.)

Glad that we didn't have to relive the Mike/Joel/Jonah wars too much again.

Please, science, fix Mike's headaches so he can rest and maybe pick better people to do podcasts with. Bill's podcast was really good, as I recall.