Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Blacklist is good but Sam suddenly appearing younger is weird. It’s also not a reboot of the series because it does reference events from previous games including Conviction.

fourth freedom means freedom of movement within the fourth dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m a member of BugsnakPAC, endorsing candidates who promote responsible use of our edible insect resources

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Random tidbit: Horizon was one of two concepts Guerilla decided between for their next game. The other one was Steampunk. This is just conjecture, but 1886's existence might have tipped the balance.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey lads,

I'm looking at getting a new TV for when the PS5 launches.
Other than being 4k is there anything else I should be looking out for? What refresh rate should I aim for?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It would be really funny if the bug game turned out to suck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Hey lads,

Other than being 4k is there anything else I should be looking out for? What refresh rate should I aim for?

Make sure you research the input lag. You can have the nicest HDR OLED in the world but if it has high input lag, you're hosed for gaming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It would be really funny if the bug game turned out to suck

mods??????

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Fix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrzz4usTnZM

This is a pretty funny video of a Japanese crowd's reaction to the PS5 reveal on an outdoor screen. Amusing to listen to the swell at different games, and then you get to GTA5.

lmao that silence.

also weird they didnt have a biohazard 8 trailer, just the west one...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I basically always paused Horizon and read the audio log in the menu rather than listen to it. I’m sure the voice actors did a good job but that poo poo takes time

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Infinitum posted:

Hey lads,

TVs are literally all just 60hz, you get some that claim to be 120 or even 240 but they're just marketing gimmicks that are actually awful frame-interpolation with horrific input delay when activated. (there may be some genuine 120hz TVs but they come with caveats longer than a CVS receipt)

Just focus on a good 4kTV with good HDR for now. Maybe if you want to wait another half year there will be TVs with formal HDMI 2.1 support including variable refresh rate, which both next-gen consoles are confirmed to support. That's the absolutely best in terms of input latency.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Hey lads,

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Make sure you research the input lag. You can have the nicest HDR OLED in the world but if it has high input lag, you're hosed for gaming.

Yeah input lag is the thing to watch out for. Wirecutter's TV buying guides are great, and they include display latency when evaluating models.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Maybe if you want to wait another half year there will be TVs with formal HDMI 2.1 support including variable refresh rate, which both next-gen consoles are confirmed to support. That's the absolutely best in terms of input latency.

You can get TVs that support variable refresh rate right now for not insane prices, I snagged an LG last fall that supports it. It's gonna be cool to see that work with PS5.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 17, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Talkin bout Bugsnax Pak

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

TVs are literally all just 60hz, you get some that claim to be 120 or even 240 but they're just marketing gimmicks that are actually awful frame-interpolation with horrific input delay when activated. (there may be some genuine 120hz TVs but they come with caveats longer than a CVS receipt)

Wrong.

My 4k Sony TV in my gaming room from 2017 accepts 120hz input at 1080p and displays it at 120 hz.

2019 and 2020 LG Oleds do 4k at 120hz and even support gsync and variable refresh rate.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 17, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, its getting more common but you're unlikely to get anything over 60hz from a PS5 anyway. They added VRR support to one of the Xbone revisions and that's kind of a big deal, I could see PS5 having that. You're gonna pay for a TV with VRR though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Knack is obvious a running joke but is the game itself "bad" or just "mediocre"?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Knack is obvious a running joke but is the game itself "bad" or just "mediocre"?

bad. flat bad. spiky flat bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It isn't awful.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It mega sucks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Knack meme isn't even about it being bad, it's that it's just total anodyne nothing that Sony inexplicably pushed hard and gave a sequel to. Why, Mark Cerny?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Knack is a nothing of a game, you wander around the stage hitting enemies and that's it. The only interesting thing about it is it being bizarrely hard despite looking like a kids game, but it's not even hard in an interesting way you just die in two hits :effort:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knack is absolute dogshit and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is not to be trusted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

The Knack meme isn't even about it being bad, it's that it's just total anodyne nothing that Sony inexplicably pushed hard and gave a sequel to. Why, Mark Cerny?

Nostalgia for the mascot platformer era? (He had a big role in Crash and Spyro's production, and was involved in some capacity in the Ratchet and Jak series, iirc)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Knack feels exactly like a forgotten PS1 mascot game that got an inexplicable HD remake with difficulty as padding.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Small Knack is cute. Big Knack is hideous. The human characters are also hideous, and look like they’re from one of those Brazilian Disney knock off movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quick PS Plus question. I just got it for the first time the other day, but with the free games I just have to 'buy' them in the PS Store and they then stay as 'owned' as long as I maintain a subscription, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

Nostalgia for the mascot platformer era? (He had a big role in Crash and Spyro's production, and was involved in some capacity in the Ratchet and Jak series, iirc)

And Sonic 2

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every single one of those games had a lot more personality than Knack (ie any personality).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stev posted:

Every single one of those games had a lot more personality than Knack (ie any personality).

Knack has a personality! That personality is "completely unearned levels of sassiness" but it's there!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dewgy posted:

Knack has a personality! That personality is "completely unearned levels of sassiness" but it's there!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Quick PS Plus question. I just got it for the first time the other day, but with the free games I just have to 'buy' them in the PS Store and they then stay as 'owned' as long as I maintain a subscription, right?

That’s right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The joke is that Knack does not inspire strong feelings in any way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Knack only trusts his fists

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Housh posted:

Have any of you guys bought cosmetics in multiplayer games? I used to hate on it but I'm starting to turn around. I don't know if it's cause the pandemic and realizing how much time I spend in virtual worlds or I'm regressing further into a manchild buying virtual action figures harkening the days of playing with GI Joes. Help.

I bought Elite:Dangerous on sale for like $7, because I was very unsure if I'd like it or not. I liked it a whole lot, and played for several hundred hours. I don't feel bad at all about having bought paintjobs for my fake spaceships. It felt like fair compensation for the amount of enjoyment I actually got from the game, plus they made my spaceships look cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It still amazes me that Knack even got a sequel. Everything I heard about the original was that it was totally forgettable and bland.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Housh posted:

Have any of you guys bought cosmetics in multiplayer games? I used to hate on it but I'm starting to turn around. I don't know if it's cause the pandemic and realizing how much time I spend in virtual worlds or I'm regressing further into a manchild buying virtual action figures harkening the days of playing with GI Joes. Help.

I was one of the OG cosmetics buyers playing dota2. Nothing wrong with it if you think something is cool and you don't feel like you're paying for content that should be included. Like I'd much rather pay a small amount for something I like than gamble on loot boxes.

Obviously if it's a regularly priced game selling me hats on top, then they can get hosed.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

How do I get a Snak Pak tag?

I was ironically into it and then I was seriously into it and a few days later the article today came out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Several of Knack's gameplay mechanics found their way into your so-called "game of the generation", God of War

He is also a healthier model of masculinity compared to Kratos

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think mods are giving out gangtags for free anymore, the expectation to my knowledge is that we have to just add it ourselves by buying it as an avatar to add it to the server, then put the image code in the text field for a new avatar. If people like the mockup I made I'd be happy to start that, but I might not actually have :10bux: at the moment so it might have to wait until tomorrow :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Knack only trusts his fists

Paging @SunhiLegend