Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Shyrka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvbK-7n3ec

ValykyrieAurora has posted this and taken down all her videos from youtube. I don't know if there's anything deeper going on beyond what's said, but I'm pretty sad to see her go. I saw her put up an FFX video a couple days ago that I hadn't gotten around to watching and now it's gone along with all her other videos which gave me many laughs.

I just saw this too. Really liked many of her videos. I can totally understand wanting to move on from youtube, but the decision to remove all of her old content is really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arist posted:

My point is that Ghostbusters, at its core, is not a horror movie, especially 2016 which is a straight-up children's comedy. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Five Nights at Freddy's do appeal to a lot of children, but those kids know what they're getting into when they read/play/watch them.

idk. i am almost 30 weirdo who at least finds the first FNAF game designs creepy. they get less creepy the better scott gets at building models and stuff. thats not to be a insult in any way. its more the designs have that weird uncanny valley effect that made me scared of animatronics when i was a kid.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The culture war poo poo is funny because all the mouthbreathers got all frothed up about lady Ghostbusters when the reason it's bad is a guy.

yeah. the movie is bad because the director was a wendig like moron who hosed up the movie by making it all about ad libbing and references. all the actresses in it were great and if they had a good director and writers, it could have been a solid/good movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The later FNAF games play up the comedy angle a lot more since the original games became such memes. It's certainly more focused on the fun side of horror these days.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Eddache takes a look at something that's been circulating in (at least my) Youtube recommendations, "Half-Life but the AI is Self-Aware," and what the series actually is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEDnlVPOWA

I think I'll check it out now based on that video.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It is legitimately quite good.

Hello, Gordon! :yayclod:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
If I remember right, when Scott Cawthon started out, a bunch of the games he put out were criticized over the characters being creepy and artificial-looking.

One of Cawthon's earlier games

Those criticisms were what inspired him to Five Nights at Freddy's.

I don't care about FNAF, but I do find that story really interesting, because he obviously acknowledged the criticism, but instead of altering the way he designed characters, he thought to use the same kind of designs for a horror game. It's art from adversity, or something like that...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the movie is bad because the director was a wendig like moron who hosed up the movie by making it all about ad libbing and references. all the actresses in it were great and if they had a good director and writers, it could have been a solid/good movie.

Like all chud tempests in teapots, they could have just ignored it and it would have gon eaway without much fanfare. AVGN apparently had the right idea. (Cut to The Critic's Jay Sherman saying "If the movie stinks... just don't go!")

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Shyrka posted:

ValykyrieAurora has posted this and taken down all her videos from youtube. I don't know if there's anything deeper going on beyond what's said, but I'm pretty sad to see her go. I saw her put up an FFX video a couple days ago that I hadn't gotten around to watching and now it's gone along with all her other videos which gave me many laughs.

Oh, that's a big shame. I never watched a lot of her stuff, but the stuff I did was generally pretty good.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Shyrka posted:

She's explained pretty much the same thing Twitter (which she's going to change as well). Basically she just doesn't enjoy making videos anymore and wants to move on to other things.

https://twitter.com/pixievalkyrie/status/1272743205721825281

Hungry posted:

I just saw this too. Really liked many of her videos. I can totally understand wanting to move on from youtube, but the decision to remove all of her old content is really sad.

They weren't deleted, just made private:

https://twitter.com/pixievalkyrie/status/1272897813932900354

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1273365215669862406

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1273366466872717318

Holy poo poo :stare:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

JFC what brainworms got into him?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It surely took way more effort for Brad to have done all this instead of just keeping on making fun of 80's slasher flicks and exploitation films, right? That was the path of least resistance?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

It surely took way more effort for Brad to have done all this instead of just keeping on making fun of 80's slasher flicks and exploitation films, right? That was the path of least resistance?

Yeah, the really baffling thing about all this was Allison was totally cool with Brad staying neutral. She wasn't going to give him an ultimatum or anything. She even spoke out against people harassing the remaining producers during the exodus.

It wasn't until that awful interview that Brad did where he mocked the CtCers and tweeted that Allison and the others were just mad Doug didn't take them to AppleBees or something. Then came all the attacks from Brad where he accused Allison of doxing and sticking a mob on him and his wife.

Brad really did decide to go down with Doug and Mike Michaud's sinking ship. :psyduck:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
(sensible chuckle) Oh Brad, you piece of poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's like... sometimes, people are addicted to digging. They just want to finally see China, damnit!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, the really baffling thing about all this was Allison was totally cool with Brad staying neutral. She wasn't going to give him an ultimatum or anything. She even spoke out against people harassing the remaining producers during the exodus.

It wasn't until that awful interview that Brad did where he mocked the CtCers and tweeted that Allison and the others were just mad Doug didn't take them to AppleBees or something. Then came all the attacks from Brad where he accused Allison of doxing and sticking a mob on him and his wife.

Brad really did decide to go down with Doug and Mike Michaud's sinking ship. :psyduck:

I know Brad was friends with the Walkers before Channel Awesome came to be, but sometimes I wonder if Michaud and/or the Walkers have some sort of blackmail material on Brad, because I don't know why he'd stay with CA, other than to compete with Guru Larry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems like he’s a really monstrous piece of poo poo, so that might have something to do with it.

Did internet videos used to just be silly fun without any stakes like ten years ago, or was I just not paying attention? Was there a time when people could just not be constantly swarmed by nazis and misogynists and tedious loving culture war poo poo about star wars?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It was fun, then adults had to justify their interest in children's media so they started applying politics to them to show its for deep thinking grown ups.

E: Also money starting exchanging hands

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2020

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He seems like he’s a really monstrous piece of poo poo, so that might have something to do with it.

Did internet videos used to just be silly fun without any stakes like ten years ago, or was I just not paying attention? Was there a time when people could just not be constantly swarmed by nazis and misogynists and tedious loving culture war poo poo about star wars?

It was just way harder for poo poo to publicly leak out like that.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

It was fun, then adults had to justify their interest in children's media so they started applying politics to them to show its for deep thinking grown ups.

Yes, clearly it was those people who think critically about media's fault that we have huge harassment movements dedicated to stalking women online. Great take! :thumbsup:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ten years ago social media was still just coming into vogue. Facebook was fairly insular, and twitter hadn’t taken off in a big way yet. People also didn’t have strong alternatives for income, you either risked your livelihood or kept your head down. Like, remember that the Walkers strongly controlled things like advertising for one’s patreon since alternate income threatened their stranglehold on their members.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamie Faith posted:

Yes, clearly it was those people who think critically about media's fault that we have huge harassment movements dedicated to stalking women online. Great take! :thumbsup:

Considering the alt right also does these deep thoughts about media to justify said harassment... yes?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Leal posted:

E: Also money starting exchanging hands

Watching shows for toddlers is activism actually.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

Considering the alt right also does these deep thoughts about media to justify said harassment... yes?

Talking about how the Star Wars prequels depicts how democracy is easily transformed into fascism is not comparable to bigoted losers whining about there being girls and black people in Star Wars.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Leal posted:

So should people just not think deeply about media or should they only think deeply about things like The Wire or Breaking Bad or other hackneyed American poo poo that's considered prestigious?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We had a discussion about Mike Nelson and his politics, and I mentioned his right-leaning podcast. Well, Mike posted something and it made his co-host, Doug “A Black Woman Getting An Abortion Should Get The Same Sentence As A Cop Murdering A Black Man” TenNapel a bit cranky.

https://twitter.com/dougtennapel/status/1273312636202074113?s=21

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hilarious to see open contempt for analyzing media in the thread dedicated to discussing people who analyze media for a living. Just :lol: Why are ya'll even here?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

We had a discussion about Mike Nelson and his politics, and I mentioned his right-leaning podcast. Well, Mike posted something and it made his co-host, Doug “A Black Woman Getting An Abortion Should Get The Same Sentence As A Cop Murdering A Black Man” TenNapel a bit cranky.

https://twitter.com/dougtennapel/status/1273312636202074113?s=21

Bill Corbett responded

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273361091557560321

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean I don't like Steven Universe or She-Ra and that kind of crap either.

But it's hard to think of something less mature than rolling your eyes at people for watching "toddler shows". That's some first grade poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean I don't like Steven Universe or She-Ra and that kind of crap either.

But it's hard to think of something less mature than rolling your eyes at people for watching "toddler shows". That's some first grade poo poo.

You can watch and enjoy any media you want, regardless of demographic. I'd never judge anyone for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtxBvU21J28

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

She's explained pretty much the same thing Twitter (which she's going to change as well). Basically she just doesn't enjoy making videos anymore and wants to move on to other things.

I wonder how hard it is to move from something pretty stable (if soul sucking from what every youtuber has said) to... well, anything else. The temptation to just go back and make another video must be pretty strong if things get tough.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Watching shows for toddlers is activism actually.

I'll put it plainly

The question was "Wasn't this all for fun"

And then people started going "oh this means this or this means that or this actually means this"

And then other people disagreed

Now you got a bunch of people gunning for one another's throats cause skulllord69 talks about how paw patrol shows the need for a strong government and thats why we need to stockpile guns to take the country back from the government and bongvapes710 talking about how dora the explorer is actually symbolism for spanish conquistadors and turning away swiper is colonialism. And now bonghitz and skulllord are furiously googling eachother's name and grabbing the yellow pages and posting it to twitter and looking at one another's facebooks to send photoshopped tweets to their family

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget to vote the thread 1 everyone

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

I'll put it plainly

The question was "Wasn't this all for fun"

And then people started going "oh this means this or this means that or this actually means this"

And then other people disagreed

Now you got a bunch of people gunning for one another's throats cause skulllord69 talks about how paw patrol shows the need for a strong government and thats why we need to stockpile guns to take the country back from the government and bongvapes710 talking about how dora the explorer is actually symbolism for spanish conquistadors and turning away swiper is colonialism. And now bonghitz and skulllord are furiously googling eachother's name and grabbing the yellow pages and posting it to twitter and looking at one another's facebooks to send photoshopped tweets to their family

So because bongvapes710 and skulllord69 are weirdos that means we should never analyze media? Come on dude.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

so where's the line. when does something become open to being critically evaluated?

going "all of this is bad" is just lazy. of course there are bad takes. of course some people are doing pointless deep dives into kids stuff that doesn't warrant it. no poo poo. but you should have something novel to say about this!

pretending you've stumbled on some true revelation just because you've rewritten "im just trying to grill, for gods sake!!!" isn't actually insightful. you're making the exact same mistake that you think those people are: you have A Take, and just present it to the world. actually insightful stuff is about having a take, and interrogating it into something worth reading.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That’s a really terrible summary when we’re discussing Brad and the Walkers, a situation that had little to do with the content of show and everything to do with terrible management of a collection of content creators.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The question was "wasn't internet stuff just fun and there was no stakes' come the gently caress on people

mustanginexile
Jan 26, 2011

by Athanatos
:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

The question was "wasn't internet stuff just fun and there was no stakes' come the gently caress on people

If you don't like reading/hearing/seeing people analyze things, you're in the wrong thread lol