Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
10 Tallnecks? I haven't counted, but I didn't think there were that many in the game. Still a lot, though, and all are very cool.

I don't like Nil as much as some people do. He's interesting, though, for a messed up dude.

Alternate Paths- Meeting Varl is a plot wall. There are two other gates to get out of the Embrace, but they are closed until you meet the young warrior. His dialogue changes slightly if you approach him on foot instead of riding a Strider. There's actually a lot of random background dialogue that changes based on that too.

You can explore the Embrace a bit before you leave and get a lot of cool moments. There's an awesome monologue Aloy delivers at Rost's Grave if you visit there that references your attitude when you told him goodbye outside Mother's Heart before the Proving. You can actually Fast Travel back to the Grave throughout the game and get one of these after every Main Quest Mission. I highly recommend searching them out on YouTube or in the game yourself if SP does not include them in the future. They're too cool to transcribe the words.

You can start the side quests in the Embrace now too, if you haven't done them already. Ourea and Thok will both reference that you are a Seeker in their dialogue too, rather than Outcast. You can help Odd Grata too, but it has less meaning since it's done after the Proving and Aloy has already won, so you get no prayer from Grata to win. :( But you will fill Grata in on Rost's passing and Aloy's new status as Seeker instead. You may be able to do this by continuing to visit Grata after her quest is complete as the game progresses- I have not been able to confirm it. If you do wait till later on the game to help Grata, she will also lament that she is starving despite her faith in All-Mother remaining strong. Aloy really needs to help this poor woman!

If you visit Mother's Heart, it's very empty now because most of the Nora are either dead, out with the War Party, or gathered up on the Mountain to pray with the Matriarchs. There's also a new side quest- a woman named Enara in Mother's Heart who's old enough to be a Matriarch but isn't since she has no children (she will lament this fact) will direct Aloy to visit her niece in a village outside the Embrace and gather some healing herbs on the way. I'm not sure if SP is going to do this quest later, so I'll say no more specifics about it for now. It's also possible to get the quest from the niece later on. Both niece and aunt are Nora Healers helping Braves wounded in the War Party Massacre.

If you talk to Karst in Mother's Cradle before you go, he can still sell you stuff. There's some collectible maps that are very helpful (you can get these from most any merchant now). Aloy also expresses surprise Karst isn't with the Nora who are praying. He says he's not religious. Aloy then reminds him there might be buyers among the pilgrims and he is interested in that, so he considers the idea.

Nil's dialogue in the game when you see him later changes depending on when you meet the guy. It is actually possible (and quite funny) to go through the entire game and not meet him until the end of his questline. Not saying any more about that right now.

Most players will probably help find Sona at this point- complete story quests as they come up and screw Resh, as SP said. I'll cover the changes if you wait to do it at a later point. The quest does eventually become mandatory.

I like Aloy's Horse Archery too, though there needs to be more shots on the move. I'm hoping in the sequel they add that- also maybe a way to set a mount's path and have it follow that path automatically while you fire. Give a whole new meaning to rail shooters and circle strafing!

The Brave at the Massacre Site has the same character model as a jerk guard outside Mother's Heart. Probably not the same guy, though. Aloy will never meet that jerk guard or Teb's father again far as I know- some jerks do escape her sass revenge. :(

You can start finding data points outside the Embrace that hint at the state of the world before the apocalypse. You have to fill in a lot of the blanks yourself, but it has changed a lot and not for the better. Climate change, increasing automation, dystopia in many ways. I'll post specifics after SP makes more of a decision on how she wants to show off data points- I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion of the state of the world as the game reveals it. You naturally can't learn that much yet. The big events will be shown off later in the game.

Cool details about Tallnecks- you can't hurt them. Try and Aloy comments that it's impossible for her to take one down. They do kill a lot of wildlife, though. My first playthrough I needed a Raccoon Skin for an upgrade, had lots of trouble finding a raccoon never mind killing it for this random drop, and then a Tallneck EMP fried several for me! LOL Tallnecks can also step on wildlife and kill them. You are vulnerable to this too.

Critical Hit is another skill you have to buy from the upgrade menu. It can be upgraded also. It is very useful. Some more inept LPers I've watched have gotten through a good chunk of the game not having it!

Sona is indeed a badass and Aloy will- eventually- earn her respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Then we track Sona down. Sona does not gently caress around. It's really nice to see the war chief is a woman and PoC at that. She takes us to a camp full of the bad guys to raid. The actual fireworks will be next video.

On the one hand I accept that the premise of the game implies a post apocalypse, post racial society in which new prejudice has come to help stop the bleeding caused by the gaping hole of missing prejudice, but I'm still a tiny bit miffed by our main character, a brave from a tribe in Northern America being, well, white as hell.

I do like that the clothing doesn't look like poo poo and looks very competent. I've made a few points about that in the very, extremely, completely related Dawn Of Man LP, I think.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
SP is back! And this game is super good, and this LP will probably get me to make another attempt to finish it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nil certainly has a taste in hats.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

On the one hand I accept that the premise of the game implies a post apocalypse, post racial society in which new prejudice has come to help stop the bleeding caused by the gaping hole of missing prejudice, but I'm still a tiny bit miffed by our main character, a brave from a tribe in Northern America being, well, white as hell.

I do like that the clothing doesn't look like poo poo and looks very competent. I've made a few points about that in the very, extremely, completely related Dawn Of Man LP, I think.

I don't want to get into the whole Social Justice thing, but this game has helped teach me that prejudice is unfortunately always going to be a huge problem in the world. Even in a future where people were not segregated by skin shade, they segregate themselves by tribe and prejudge each other in awful ways. The scene where a peace-preaching Carja priest is bombarded by tomatoes is proof of this, so is Resh and other characters' treatment of outcasts (I highly doubt all the High Matriarchs would want their shunning system to work out like that) and other things we'll see later. Kudos to Aloy for standing against such judgements whenever she encounters them- we'll see a lot of this. But even she can't end them forever, just like in real life. :(

Interviews I've read about the game's development have mentioned how they went through a lot of designs for Aloy, including some with different hair color and darker skin. Eventually it was decided that she needed to have red hair to stand out- probably why she and her middle-aged doppelganger are the only ginger people in the game, which along with the setting in Colorado gives me some South Park crossover vibes (Aloy vs Corrupted Mecha Streisand?). Then the conversation director was home sick, saw Dutch actress Hannah Hoekstra on TV, and her image just clicked as Aloy's face. Not sure if they had the voice cast before or after that.

Never played Dawn of Man. I may need to check out that LP.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So a tallneck is basically an E-2 Hawkeye?

I've seen pictures of tallnecks all over the place, now I know what they are. Cool.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
DWACS (the D is for Dinosaur)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dinosaur With A Crazy-rear end Satellite-dish-instead-of-a-dinosaur-head

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 18, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And what was that big burst of blue that happened when Aloy rappelled off it?

Is it like an EMP which stuns enemies? It looked like there were some electrical effects when it hit things on the ground.

There was another enemy, I think the sabretooth one, which put out a big blue burst which SP said could detect you if you weren't totally stationary.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The burst of blue from the Tallneck is indeed EMP. It prevents you from landing in a field of hostile machines after rappelling down. Sadly, it does not prevent the Tallneck itself from stepping on you once you land.

It was a Scrapper (hyena type scavenger machine) that used a radar burst earlier. That will find Aloy in tall grass if she’s not still. Scrappers aren’t the only machines to use it either.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I am curious. Are those "The many faces of Aloy" -thumbnails done by the magic of the YouTube algorithm or are those handpicked and curated favorites?

Also the bow that shows up in the cutscenes is not our trusty hunter bow and i guess not the sharpshooter bow either. So some special cutscene model?

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 19, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

OutofSight posted:

I am curious. Are those "The many faces of Aloy" -thumbnails done by the magic of the YouTube algorithm or are those handpicked and curated favorites?

Also the bow that show up in the cutscenes is not our trusty hunter bow and i guess not the sharpshooter bow. So some special cutscene model?
That's YT picking the thumbnails. They do account for your outfits in cutscenes but the weapon is always a default model.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Not much nuance. It is all cliche for now. In the next episode, Aloy will prove how strong and resourceful she is, and this will add more to her reputation and legend. It so cliche that — random thought — I predict the other Nora child outcast is the one who killed Rost, and now that I have thought about it, I hope I am so wrong on that point. It would be so cliche. If that child outcast were to live, it could be more nuance if Nil turned out to be that outcast.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Flair posted:

I predict the other Nora child outcast is the one who killed Rost, and now that I have thought about it, I hope I am so wrong on that point. It would be so cliche. If that child outcast were to live, it could be more nuance if Nil turned out to be that outcast.

The world is bigger than just the Nora and Nora politics. Have you seen the size of the map?
Or remember the visitors at the proving. You got human-sized dwarves like Erend, shady scrap peddlers like Olin and crazy sun-bros. I am certain there is a place for some independent machine gun wielding cultists with their own delightful agenda, too.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 20, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't know if you're taking suggestions for the data points, but if you are, what I'd personally most like is if you gave a brief overview of what they say, and then do a roundup video for all of them, or in chunks, or something like that. Just my personal preference.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

OutofSight posted:

The world is bigger than just the Nora and Nora politics. Have you seen the size the map? Or remember the visitors at the provings. You got human-sized dwarves like Erend, shady scrap peddlers like Olin and crazy sun-bros.
I am certain there is a place for some independent machine gun wielding cultists with their own delightful agenda, too.

Speaking of which, can someone post a picture of the map, or is that spoilers?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Speaking of which, can someone post a picture of the map, or is that spoilers?
If someone wants to link one that's fine, but I'd rather not have one posted inline.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This one time at Bandit Camp

We start off outside a bad guy camp and we're gonna clear it out. When I recorded this I was trying to stealth the whole thing (which I've done before) but the AI wasn't having any of it. Sona and the others would just go full ham and start a bunch of poo poo. So I gave up on a total stealth approach and just let the arrows fall where they may. After beating some rear end Varl shows up, gets yelled at by his mom and we find an audio log directing us to a "ring of metal" where the rest of the murdering fuckheads are hanging out with a fuckton of blaze. Which means we can blow poo poo up, yay.

Then we meet up with Nil for our first bandit camp. Being the tutorial, so to speak, means this one is piss easy. The later ones aren't. Game does a pretty good job with his AI. Kinda like Ellie in TLoU he's invisible to enemies, pretty much even when he's stabbing them in the head. It'd be nice if you could tell him to go somewhere or attack a target, but alas those aren't options. When you clear them out you'll get access to a campfire and a merchant so you can sell off all the garbage you looted.

The next video will show off my hilarious attempts to handle Sona's quest but getting sidetracked, attacked and basically distracted from it in every conceivable way.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SubponticatePoster posted:

When I recorded this I was trying to stealth the whole thing (which I've done before) but the AI wasn't having any of it.

Are you sure the complete stealth approach is intended by the developers? I just looked up other let's plays and walkthroughs, and at that part, the AI start raining arrows from the sky regardless if Aloy was stealthy or not.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flair posted:

Are you sure the complete stealth approach is intended by the developers? I just looked up other let's plays and walkthroughs, and at that part, the AI start raining arrows from the sky regardless if Aloy was stealthy or not.
Dunno if it's intended, but since I've pulled it off it's definitely possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Would the game make use of that bandit camp and have people fill it up over time?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The War Chief's Trail- I wish you had cleared the camp stealthily, SP. It would be the first time I saw such a feat accomplished in an LP. I have tried but failed to do it myself. I don't think it changes the subsequent dialogue any, please let me know if I'm wrong.

It's implied but never explained directly by the game that the Corrupted Residue enemy Corrupted machines leave behind is Nanomachines (son). The machines produce this residue after contact with a Corrupter, it strengthens and controls them, and it can hurt organic life, but it does not survive long outside a mechanical body. Kill the machine spreading it, wait a few seconds, and it dissolves.

This is the first area in the game to point out how Blaze barrels explode if shot with a fire arrow. It did take me a bit to connect the dots and start killing enemies carrying such barrels using them (they're called Dredgers, if anyone cares).

Bandit Camps- As previously mentioned, Nil's dialogue does change if you missed him on the road and first meet him here. Not much other than starting out with "Be careful, bandit camp ahead!" Aloy asks what a non-Nora is doing in the Nora's outer provinces, and he says he's hunting bandits, then introduces himself and the dialogue picks up as shown in the video. If you decline his help in clearing the camp, he shrugs and says he will enjoy watching you do it alone.

There are several bandit camps in the game, however Nil only shows up at three of them. You also have to speak to him before finishing the mission, or he won't join you to help out. If a green exclamation point (side quest marker) appears on the map near a camp, that's probably him. Nil gives you more of his story as you interact with him, I'll address it after future camps. I hope SP will be clearing out more of them as the game goes on.

Scalding Coffee- The game has the camp full of bandits when it first appears, and then full of generic villagers after you clear out the bandits. That scene with Jom the Outcast after the first camp is to explain how one becomes the other. No cleared bandit camp village in the main game has any interesting scenes unfortunately (the one in the DLC does), but they are good sources of loot. The bandits' bodies remain where slain until you save and reload, and their supply crates remain unlooted until Aloy finds them. Said supplies often include healing potions and ancient objects you can sell for lots of shards. Some of the latter may be recognizable as common household objects in the modern day.

There are many tactics you can use to clear bandit camps. One I like but haven't seen a lot of in LPs is abandoning a Strider where bandits patrol (but staying in stealth yourself) and watching how many kills your robo-horse gets once they start going after it.

Alternate Paths- Not much to say this time around, other than what was said above. The game has a lot of distractions and side stories, I suspect we'll see more of them in the next video. Two of these in particular I'm looking forward to commenting on.

Oh, and for the curious, the area we're in, Devil's Thirst, was once the city of Colorado Springs. It also includes the church graveyard from the game's opening cutscenes. That statue of the two men riding horses is there- it's called "The Pikes Peak Range Riders" and promotes a local charity horse riding association of the same name. Aloy can wander past the statue in general gameplay, it does not appear in any specific mission. One has to wonder, though, what the Nora make of such a statue and whether it gave Aloy the idea to ride Striders. There are no similar statues in the Embrace and she may or may not have been outside that area since her naming day, but perhaps she still has memories. :)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We talked about how nice the architecture was, actually functional and everything, and now we have this bandit camp, there are holes in the walls, and the roofs, and the stockade. And it's not for lack of construction materials. I am miffed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

We talked about how nice the architecture was, actually functional and everything, and now we have this bandit camp, there are holes in the walls, and the roofs, and the stockade. And it's not for lack of construction materials. I am miffed.

Well you see these aren't real people they're bandits. Be glad they're not doing dismembered-corpse-chic like Fallout raiders.

Edit: The Ring of Metal is 'cursed'. I wonder if Aloy's focus includes a geiger-counter?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 21, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They could have the prisoners fix up the camp and be evil slavers too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the idea is that Bandit camps aren't permanent, but temporary strongholds set up close to other population centers for easy access to travellers that move on to other ruins when things get tight looking for fresh victims, as eventually people will just stop going near their territory. So they find a mostly intact structure, build some fencing to keep invaders out and hunker down for a few weeks until it's time to move on.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That bit of NZ lore reads as feeling legit/somewhat authentic to someone from there!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Boy, I feel like a true idiot for not catching I could tag more than one enemy at a time. My attack on that bandit camp was pretty much a comedy of errors including the alarm going off, half of which came about because I didn't realize I could track everybody and I figured out where bandits were when I saw a red circle suddenly pop up followed by shouting. Much nicer to watch somebody NOT screw that up.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im confused. Why are non-red barrels exploding?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the idea is that Bandit camps aren't permanent, but temporary strongholds set up close to other population centers for easy access to travellers that move on to other ruins when things get tight looking for fresh victims, as eventually people will just stop going near their territory. So they find a mostly intact structure, build some fencing to keep invaders out and hunker down for a few weeks until it's time to move on.

Sure, but the fencing is so inefficient, that's a shitton of wood that they are using completely wrong and leaving holes all over the place, I'm not asking for them to build camps like legionnaires, I just want walls to keep the animals out, and then walls and roofs to keep the elements out. Even if it's a propped up ruin.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Are npc enemies actually interesting to fight in comparison to weird robot animals? To me it looks just like the typical shooter gameplay and going for headshots.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You are lost in your old ways and and are a product of an bygone age before your smartphone and gardening robot started to plot your ruin.
We are ready to accept the new blazing hotness of the new world.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 21, 2020

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Because explosions are cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sona is just so ridiculously badass. Her voice actor knocked it out of the park.

And they really were just digging up a machine out of the ground. Huh.

You'd think something so old it got covered by such a serious depth of dirt and rock would be too busted to be useful.

Also - a loot question. I'm guessing white is general pickups. Green is next level, then blue and purple the level after that?

And naturally, there'll be a couple more we haven't seen yet.

EDIT: Almost forgot. I saw this symbol on the Nora when they jumped into things at the enemy camp and Nil had it over his head too.

It obviously means "friendly", but what is it exactly? It looks like either a very short candle or a cupcake with a lit fuse.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 21, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I always saw it like a head/torso. However I will now think of it as a cupcake with a lit fuse. As far as loot goes, it maxes out at purple.

OutofSight posted:

Are npc enemies actually interesting to fight in comparison to weird robot animals? To me it looks just like the typical shooter gameplayand going for headshots.
Honestly humans are the most boring things in the game to fight. When you get more skills like the ledge kill it gets a bit more fun, but for the most part it is just that. Headshot or silent kills. As we saw in the proving video it can get a bit hairy if they're carrying a heavy weapon but the strategy remains the same: break LoS and then try to get behind them or on the flanks. Traps can also be effective/hilarious but overall fighting people isn't really fun. I hope they do something about that in the sequel. Although after sick nasty robo dinos people are gonna be kind of boring no matter what.

That was the last of the banked footage. I've done some recording since the LP started, and that's worth another couple videos but then it'll be new stuff. I'll probably record once a week for a few hours and then put out a couple updates, lather, rinse, repeat.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
how is robbo formed

On my way to catch up with Sona and all sorta poo poo happened. After talking to Nil I was out dicking around and watched some random guy get run the gently caress over by a horse. He talks about the Hunters' Lodge, which we won't be doing for some time as they suck with lower tier weapons. This is a bit of a catch 22, because you get the best weapons (at least pre-DLC) from doing them :sigh: But once we've got most of our stuff up to blue we can do the easy ones here.

kw0134 posted:

The Nora-NORAD connection seems obvious. What is less obvious is do the machines replicate somehow? Is there an in-game explanation or is there inexplicable abundance a gameplay concession?

And here's the answer to that question! They come from what is essentially a factory known as a Cauldron. They're sorta like dungeons; you explore them to the end and have a big fight and get a prize. The prize being more override codes for other machines. And some decent loot, too. There'll be at least one chest with a purple in it. Also the boss will also drop you a purple, at least most of the time. Cauldrons are exceptionally loving creepy the first time you go into one. They're kinda maze-like, if linear and the HR Giger cables/pipes doesn't help. Once you've done one though they're pretty routine. I show off my patented Get In the Boat TM method. Shoulda used more tripwires though. And the correct element against that bellowback :argh: Some of the later ones have :stonk: machines in them we haven't seen yet that can really gently caress you up, but this method seems to work on all of them. Plus you'll have more tools later on so it's really not too bad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someone really loves to make robot animals.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Probably to be expected, but that raises more questions than it answers.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alternate Dialogue- Aloy can express being disturbed by Nil's attitude and say it's wrong, but this doesn't change her future with him. We'll see that dude again down the line. :)

Not surprised Cren got run over by a Strider, he's so accident-prone. :)

I was wondering about when you'd do the Hunters' Lodge stuff. I look forward to seeing it when you're ready. The other side quest I want to see you do is the Vantage Points- I'll just mention that name for now and see what you do with it in the future.

I personally thought the first Cauldron was cool, not creepy, but I can understand how it might be seen otherwise. BTW, you don't just have to come across Cauldrons in the wilderness, at least not the first one (the game has several, Sigma is the first). There's a Nora huntress you can meet in the nearby village of Mother's Crown. If you approach her, Aloy notices she's injured and asks about it. The huntress (name is Dral) explains she got knocked down by a Watcher that snuck up on her while she was chasing a Grazer. She considers the injury a lesson because she got close to a Cauldron, a mysterious doorway that machines come out of- maybe they're made in there, nobody is sure? Aloy is intrigued of course. The huntress discourages Aloy from going to such an obviously cursed place, then gives in to "describe the place I should avoid" and gives Aloy directions. Later Cauldrons you'll have to find on your own.

There are multiple side quests to pick up in Mother's Crown and another nearby village called Mother's Rise. Hope you'll go there at some point.

Good luck!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I just realized that Nil is wearing bike retroreflectors on his hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The cauldrons feel like they come from another game entirely. Not a bad one, mind you, just a very different one.