Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
borat voice my wife actually did that when she was a planner for Mountain Village. For it to work the area has to be totally closed off to traffic, which Mountain Village is, and there are a bunch of other hoops to jump through (forming a legal entity for participating businesses, insurance, etc.). This way, they can just temporarily extend their liquor licenses into the street and delivery trucks can still get in. Should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Same thing happening in Aspen, Carbondale, and New Castle. Honestly not too bad if you just drive around the closures, although Aspen and Bonedale need better signage for detouring imo. From what I remember when I was in Telluride last year, it has fewer side streets which could get annoying.

Still, it helps restaurants operate closer to their undistanced max capacity which is hugely important for their survival so I'm all for it. And the weather has been amazing so it's a double bonus

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Eating outside is not the worst thing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Calskigoons: its baaaaaaaaack!

https://www.skicastle.ca/passes/?fbclid=IwAR3UjBv_dTxQgva49A6oEa4QCXawVPQERPRbFn7YvPpl0PVdfGFhfOi2h3k

Not going to spring for a season's pass until I finally get to ski (it closed before I moved to Alberta) it but from what I have heard its a magical place and might wind up my go to hill

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Last day of the season. At least it was a pretty day

It was mostly bushwhacking up and down for, I dunno, 10-15 turns. More of an excuse to just be outside, but hey, still counts.

Total days: 71
Resort days: 26
Skinning or backcountry days: 45

Eejit fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 15, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice man. Looks terrible but fun.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The turns on the steeper part of the face were actually good. The rest was 5" deep slush

Amazing how quickly everything has melted out. There are still a few lines here and there, but you really have to hike for them. And without good beta, it's a lot of guessing. Best way to do it would be to spend a day scouting and then do it the next. But I have other things to do, like actually have fun on the MTB

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Looks like Liftopia is going bankrupt; https://www.snowindustrynews.com/articles/2020/june/liftopia-facing-bankruptcy-3-million-owed-to-alterra-aspen-skiing-co-others/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Was Liftopia actually any good? I never used them. Was their whole business model just reselling lift tickets?

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Was Liftopia actually any good? I never used them. Was their whole business model just reselling lift tickets?

I used them occasionally back in WA. They sell (sold?) discounted tickets with the caveat of no refunds and only a certain amount per day so you've got to buy further in advance for the best price. Good for facilitating hopping between areas over the season. I'll be slightly disappointed to see them go but presumably if we ever get to ski again some other outfit will either fill their place or help resorts do the same type of pricing on their own websites.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I wasn't sure I was really going to snowboard regularly but still wanted to try out the nicer resorts I used to to use them a lot. The progression of seasonal multi-resort passes kind of killed the appeal once I bought into the sport though.

Sad that they didn't make it, but a sign of the times where every resort is being bought some Vail or some other holding group. Liftopia's origin story was pretty cool and consumer-friendly

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Since SA is dying, here's a channel y'all can join on Discord. I'll flesh it out later

https://discord.gg/fXyHcDz

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/garibaldi-at-squamish-ski-resort-february-2019-project-update

I still have serious doubts about this, but more is better, right?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A Whistler-sized resort, in sub-Whistler altitude, an hour's drive away from Whistler? I can't really see it happening. There's definitely room for another Cypress-sized daytrip resort along that corridor, but the market is full, and the snow will be worse than WB.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Maybe phase 1 will happen since it is more of the higher elevation terrain? Based on what I know of skiing near Vancouver is that there already is a huge lack of snow.

Not sure if it will but they should invest in a huge bike park and other summer attractions. Looks like there will be some hiking and biking trails. I would try to outdo whistler's bike park.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There will be no snow there period. Where they want to build gets something like a meter of snowfall a year. They’re pretending to build a ski resort so they can buy the land to sell condos at 95% off.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HookShot posted:

There will be no snow there period. Where they want to build gets something like a meter of snowfall a year. They’re pretending to build a ski resort so they can buy the land to sell condos at 95% off.

That is brilliant.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Maybe phase 1 will happen since it is more of the higher elevation terrain? Based on what I know of skiing near Vancouver is that there already is a huge lack of snow.

There's been one terrible year in the 11 years I've been here and a couple of bad ones. The last few seasons have been reasonable. This one obviously got ruined by Covid, but there was lots of snow in March/April.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

ha, that is pretty smart on their part.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Well guess what happens when everybody from Texas and Arizona shows up in your town

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Are you in Colorado? I know that Texas and Arizona have huge increases right now. Worried about all the places they are visiting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Well guess what happens when everybody from Texas and Arizona shows up in your town

All the mountain towns had an absolute shitload of private jets carrying it in this week. They had to do some restrictions that usually only happen in winter on Wednesday because there was enough ski country traffic that it was necessary.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

The area around Aspen is just teeming with Denverites and people from out of state. Good for the economy, not so good for the health of valley residents

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’ve been generally staying away from the high country for that very reason (though I am trying to assess the feasibility a short backpacking trip involving contact with zero other humans).

I can’t imagine what Winter Park and Summit are like this weekend.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Backpacking is fine. As usual, the crowds are non existent on less popular or remote trails

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Been having trouble finding crowds even on popular mtb trails. Avoid Smuggler, I guess

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah all the crowds are in town. Nobody on Snowmass or Prince Creek

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

I probably won't do it since I'm not planning on travelling much in the 20/21 season but stacking the Epic Pass at $979 with an Ikon Base Pass at $699 is tempting.

I've got hundreds of bucks back on our Epic passes for next year and I'm still not sure whether it'll be worth it at this point.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Residency Evil posted:

I've got hundreds of bucks back on our Epic passes for next year and I'm still not sure whether it'll be worth it at this point.
Yup, COVID has thrown a wrench into things. I'm not sure what this upcoming season and racing is going to look like. My kids had their post season ski racing championships cancelled this year and this coming season will be their last as U14s so I'm hoping we can have a race season but I'm not confident. I'm definitely not traveling much.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

The area around Aspen is just teeming with Denverites and people from out of state. Good for the economy, not so good for the health of valley residents

You invited us :colbert: or something like that.

But yeah we basically avoided being near anyone pretty well.

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve been generally staying away from the high country for that very reason (though I am trying to assess the feasibility a short backpacking trip involving contact with zero other humans).

I can’t imagine what Winter Park and Summit are like this weekend.

Not sure about this weekend but generally Summit hasn't been too bad. we have had fairly empty trails

Residency Evil posted:

I am waiting until as late as possible at this point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I've got a question/thought experiment for this thread.

Lets say that my partner and I are looking at a 5-10 year plan to move to a ski town permanently (currently we're in SoCal). Where should we go? There are several criteria to help narrow down candidate locations:

-Distance from major metro areas, general mountain crowding. One major appeal of living in a ski town for us is NOT dealing with the weekend-warrior crowds like those at say, Mammoth. Sure you can try to generally ski weekdays and not weekends, but it be better to not have to deal with it. If we are strict on this it eliminates a lot of places: SLC, the I-70 corridor in CO, Tahoe, Mammoth, much of the PNW, etc.

-Affordability. The goal would be to move permanently and buy a home wherever we end up. Affordability is relative of course, but it means in a place like Jackson Hole or Aspen we'd be limited to small condos and priced out of any single family home. We're not trying to leave the big city so that we can live in a 600 sqft apartment.

-Size of the town/local industry. Small town life is part of the appeal, but if given the choice I'd prefer a local economy that isn't wholly dependent on the ski area (like Mammoth). This provides more buffer for long term employment flexibility (though the whole plan sort of assumes I can transition my current career into 100% remote work, which the pandemic is accelerating).

-Length of ski season/quality of the skiing. If I'm going to live somewhere I can ski nearly every day, I'd much rather have a resort with a 6 month season than a 3 month season.

-Year round/off season quality. Most ski towns are pretty great in the summer for mountain biking, hiking, etc so not sure how much this moves the needle.

As far as I can tell, the only American cities that check all these boxes are Bend, OR and Bozeman, MT. (maybe somewhere east of the Rockies but, c'mon now) There are surely some candidates in Canada but immigration presents additional hurdles.

Are there more I'm missing that I should consider? Can folks who live or have lived somewhere that violates some of my criteria offer some input on their importance? Am I over-emphasizing the importance of avoiding weekend crowds, or of having a long season, etc?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 9, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Salt Lake City area? Don’t have to live right in SLC; Park City’s probably pricy but might work, and the proximity to SLC gives some economic options/insurance.

E: nvm I see you’re eliminating it because of weekend crowding.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Snowbird is extremely high on my list of personal favorites and I've skied there nearly every March for the last 25 years. But my friends who live in the area constantly bitch about the canyon traffic and weekend crowds, and SLC in the summer is kinda not the best.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Honestly not sure you're going to be able to check all those boxes, you're pretty much looking for the holy grail. How small a town you're willing to entertain is another factor.

Driggs or Victor would work, but they're very small and the entire economy is tourism and based on the other side of the pass. Targhee would rule as a home hill though and the backcountry options are endless. I'd also scope Crested Butte/Gunnison or the Telluride area, but affordability and non-tourist economy is probably gonna go in the shitter.

Eastern Washington has an economy and excellent access to North Idaho resorts. Sandpoint, Idaho might be a great option, with a big lake, distance from major metro areas, and a great resort with Schweitzer. Very good access to the powder highway in Canada for weekend trips, two hours from Spokane for shopping. I would look very hard at Sandpoint. Keep in mind North Idaho is extremely chudly country with a legit white supremacist population if that's a factor for you.

Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula is a serious hidden gem, but you're maxing out at 700ft of elevation and Mt Bohemia is going through some growing pains. The area is even better in the summer than winter, and has an engineering university and a few small firms in town for an economy. It's the only real consistent snow between the Rockies and East Coast, but you have to deal with it in town. World class XC skiing, sea kayaking, and MTB. It's perhaps the closest I think you'll find to a real 70's-80's mountain town experience, including a low-key hardcore outdoor community. You can buy a nice house walking distance to downtown for under $200k, or get 40 acres and a house for the same ten minutes' drive away.

I know literally nothing first-hand about East Coast options, but I know a few people who live in Vermont and love it. Burlington sounds like a cool town and is surrounded by resorts and mountain access.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it's definitely a picky list of criteria. Part of why I'm asking is for some feedback on which bits are worth being more flexible on. For now I'm more inclined to have flexibility on the town size/local economy than say the weekend crowds bit.

I'd forgotten about northern ID. I skied Schweitzer once and it was excellent. The hyper-chud nature of northern ID does concern me though for a permanent home.

edit: this post might alternatively be titled, "how to convince my SO to put aside her nostalgia for her Jackson Hole ski bum days and consider Bend or Bozeman instead?" She loved it there and has a bunch of friends still there, but the housing prices are just ridiculous.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 9, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why not move to Truckee

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My understanding is that the bay area weekend influx in Tahoe has been getting truly insane in recent years. Would love to hear from Steve French (I think?) on Truckee life.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah the nostalgia is real. I grew up in steamboat in the 90s and gently caress it was the good life.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Okay you can come to Telluride
E: pm me for home buying secrets

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Eastern Washington has an economy and excellent access to North Idaho resorts. Sandpoint, Idaho might be a great option, with a big lake, distance from major metro areas, and a great resort with Schweitzer. Very good access to the powder highway in Canada for weekend trips, two hours from Spokane for shopping. I would look very hard at Sandpoint. Keep in mind North Idaho is extremely chudly country with a legit white supremacist population if that's a factor for you.

This is basically our plan. We are 34 and planning on about 7-10 years from now moving up this way. My brother already lives in Spokane as well. I already ski the powder highway all the time so just makes sense (although if the loving border guard asks me if my insurance will work in Canada again I might punch him in the face, there is one dude that give every american total poo poo and is a total rear end).

Spime Wrangler posted:

Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula is a serious hidden gem, but you're maxing out at 700ft of elevation and Mt Bohemia is going through some growing pains. The area is even better in the summer than winter, and has an engineering university and a few small firms in town for an economy. It's the only real consistent snow between the Rockies and East Coast, but you have to deal with it in town. World class XC skiing, sea kayaking, and MTB. It's perhaps the closest I think you'll find to a real 70's-80's mountain town experience, including a low-key hardcore outdoor community. You can buy a nice house walking distance to downtown for under $200k, or get 40 acres and a house for the same ten minutes' drive away.

As a Tech alum I do love the UP. I don't think this is the right choice though if you are truly looking for mountains. It is cheap, good skiing but not the west, amazing biking though.