Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

dbzfandiego posted:

Maybe if so many people are misinterpreting something, the point was really poorly made.

I don't think many people "misinterpreted" it outside of those who came into these films with baggage because of Z*ck S*yder or the "not my Superman" crowd. And I put it that quotations because it's art and it's all interpretative but some have more... weight than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

We are talking about the exact same scene

Alright, while for the first scene, the people observing his heroics are the people who are in frame observing his heroics.

For the montage, the people observing his heroics are the people who are on screen discussing his heroics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

the filmmaker cannot fail, the filmmaker can only be failed

The Book of Henry suggests otherwise.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Book of Henry suggests otherwise.

you're just misinterpreting the movie

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

love to revolve my entire online identity around endlessly caping for incredibly banal filmmakers

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
quote is not edit

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

The last sentence here is interesting because it feels like an admission that yeah, Clark is actually incredibly aloof and distant in the movie, and we have to just assume he enjoys saving people despite this not ever really being made clear in the movie and a half leading up to this scene. You can't just rely on the audience's assumption that "oh, he must enjoy it?" or "I guess that would suck?", that's just an excuse to skip character work. And if you're going to ask, "well, why does he save them then?" the pretty clear answer presented by that scene is "he feels burdened by obligation."

To go back to this, the film does show that super heroics are very often not enjoyable, and Clark does clearly feel an obligation to do this work. There's nothing I object to in any of that.

But to go from that to Clark is "not interested empathy or human connection" is a hell of a leap.

Alaois posted:

love to revolve my entire online identity around endlessly caping for incredibly banal filmmakers

This discussion started in response to someone making a whole-rear end 15 minute internet video about an incredibly banal filmmaker.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh no, fifteen minutes, perish the thought

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alaois posted:

Throwing a couple posts into the void on a topic you find personally interesting is not “basing an entire personality” around it, you weirdo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a whole-rear end 15 minute internet video

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Woah, woah, woah. Someone made a short video about a movie? What the gently caress.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

excuse me, i don't cape ... i simp.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats a whole 3 minutes longer than an episode of Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law!

Laterite posted:

excuse me, i don't cape ... i simp.

you see i chose the word cape because ah nevermind

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I thought this thread was all about disgustingly long multi-hour video essays about poo poo, when did 15 minutes become insurmountable

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alaois posted:

a whole-rear end 15 minute internet video

I don't have a problem with people making nerdy essay videos. But if you have a problem with people spending their time writing a posts in a thread then I have bad news about how much time and effort goes into making even a short video essay.

Crocoswine posted:

I thought this thread was all about disgustingly long multi-hour video essays about poo poo, when did 15 minutes become insurmountable

When making a post on a forum requires orienting your entire online identity I can only assume a 15 minute video is loving sisyphean.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 18, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there is not actually that much time and effort put into a 15 minute video essay. furthermore, who gives a poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't have a problem with people making nerdy essay videos. But if you have a problem with people spending their time writing a posts in a thread then I have bad news about how much time and effort goes into making even a short video essay.

people on this forum have been having the same discussion about man of steel continuously for 7 years and are showing absolutely no signs of slowing down

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

You can't say "this scene is from the perspective of normal people observing Superman's heroics" when there aren't any people in frame to observe his heroics.

?

Arist posted:

You can't say "this scene is from the perspective of normal people observing Superman's heroics" when there aren't any people in frame to observe his heroics.

?!

Wow, I guess I imagined all the people standing around in a circle around him then?

That first image is from the perspective of one of the people he rescues, and it very obviously beats you over the head that the people he's rescuing see him as a sort of angelic or divine being. The second image is of a group of people, which, to clarify tbecause this apparently isn't clear, just observed Superman rescuing a girl from a burning building, not only treating him with reverence, but also Supermans obvious discomfort at being treated like that. He likes helping people, he does not like being treated as some God and worshipped.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is why the internal struggles of Clark in earlier films usually isn't as criticized as much because we see him actually try and form connections with people as Superman, he talks to them as equals and tries to spread the kind of goodness he was taught by his parents so when the plot's about how people struggle with the idea that this one guy has so much power you the audience know that No Clark Is really trying to be good and just be a nice boy scout who helps people and saves them.

Christopher Reeves never floats back down to earth in a t-pose like he's christ on the cross and isn't framed as the faceless all powerful god floating down silently as he stoically surveys the damage as people actively worship him on screen.

It's a cool thing, Framing and Tone. They can really change the meaning a film gives, even be at odds with the story presented.

Well...yes? The framing and tone is so that we, the audience, can understand why people are concerned about this flying demi-god who can shoot lasers out of his eyes and level cities. If you want to make a convincing argument that people are scared of Superman, you need to show why too. Just having a talking head go "No man should have so much pooower, nyaah" is all well and good but it's the kind of thing the audiences brushes off because we know Superman is awesome and that guy is speaking out of ignorance. BvS does an excellent job of showing why and how people project their own fears and hopes on him, and how that shapes their perception of him, including Lex and Bruce's. In fact, it adds a sense of legitimacy to Bruce's vendetta.
But we also know that he's "just a guy trying to help" because the film literally tells us this. It beats us over the head with that fact. The whole point of the conversation with his mom is that he helps people not out of some sense of duty, but because he wants to.
This is building further on MoS where Lois says "The only way you'll keep this a secret is if you stop helping people, and I don't think you can do that". This is about as subtle as a god drat sledgehammer between the eyes.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

people on this forum have been having the same discussion about man of steel continuously for 7 years and are showing absolutely no signs of slowing down

I'll slow down when the people who are wrong see the error of their ways :colbert:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

15 minutes is, like, at least 5 Sargons don't you know

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah he's always been a real one.

Also gently caress the axe cop guy too

https://twitter.com/AXECOP/status/1273329739915096064

Is his older brother an rear end in a top hat too?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i thought Ethan was the older brother, are you telling me the little kid who "wrote" axe cop is actually the one who went kooky

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alaois posted:

i thought Ethan was the older brother, are you telling me the little kid who "wrote" axe cop is actually the one who went kooky

Nah you’ve got it right, Ethan was the older one and the kid who made the ideas is Malachai, who I think is still a minor

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

To go back to this, the film does show that super heroics are very often not enjoyable, and Clark does clearly feel an obligation to do this work. There's nothing I object to in any of that.

But to go from that to Clark is "not interested empathy or human connection" is a hell of a leap.

Yeah the take I'd have from it is that the movie would've been improved by more Clark Kent or Superman having a few more scenes of conversation with people, even if it was dealing with a reporter.

That might undermine some of the Messiahanic tones of the movie though since it was focused on his alienation.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 18, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never really had a place I posted on before I registered for SA. I didn't sign up for MySpace twitter or Facebook because I was boring and did nothing so I didn't see a reason to sign up for a website all about talking about yourself. So most of the time I just used the internet for youtube and flash games.

Oh right, I did get a tumblr and kill lots of time on there and imgur's funny tumblr screenshots.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hmm Posting this may be crossing the line and in bad taste and if anyone has a problem with this post I'll edit out/delete this post but uuuh BRAD HAS A KID??? :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1273421790619013121

https://twitter.com/_HollyChristine/status/1273447136173207552

I watched Brad (and all his shows. Cinema Snob, Midnight Screenings, Brad tries, everything) for almost 10 years, and he never, not once, brought up the fact that he had a kid. Now I know for alot of internet people, that wouldn't be weird, but Brad was always very open with his life and in hindsight, probably overshared with his audience way too much. (thats one of the reasons he attracted so much drama. He was always very open and public with the falling outs he had with former friends and all the drama going on in his life)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brad Dad Soccer Dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

My first internet "home" was the Bob & George forum.
Same, and I got someone temp banned for being a creepy weirdo once and they responded to this completely rationally by somehow finding my personal info online and calling my house

The internet was always trash

sexpig by night posted:

the internet is a dumpster and we're all terrible little raccoons fighting for old meatball subs, but some of us have rabies, and those guys are bad.
I love this analogy

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really like Maggie Mae's videos, but her Snyder stuff has just been bad, sorry. This conclusion first, evidence later school of criticism isn't anything I can hang with.

Anyway, The Armchair Auteur (who doesn't get nearly enough views) did a video after reading every unproduced Superman screenplay out there that's pretty good and I think gets to part of the problem in doing Superman on-screen.

https://youtu.be/aXzMgmcJOd8

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Since Superman and Phelous have been mentioned in recent pages, I have an excuse to post the best Phelous video ever made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvwWTFxfUaA

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Right, starting with a conclusion (Zack is an islamophobic Randian) and working your way backwards is exactly the problem with Maggie's videos on the subject

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

there’s a very simple reason why internet content creation has become what it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td-MH_QJHnE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Hmm Posting this may be crossing the line and in bad taste and if anyone has a problem with this post I'll edit out/delete this post but uuuh BRAD HAS A KID??? :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1273421790619013121

https://twitter.com/_HollyChristine/status/1273447136173207552

I watched Brad (and all his shows. Cinema Snob, Midnight Screenings, Brad tries, everything) for almost 10 years, and he never, not once, brought up the fact that he had a kid. Now I know for alot of internet people, that wouldn't be weird, but Brad was always very open with his life and in hindsight, probably overshared with his audience way too much. (thats one of the reasons he attracted so much drama. He was always very open and public with the falling outs he had with former friends and all the drama going on in his life)

“Brad Jones Has A Secret Teenage Son or Daughter”...

Sure, whatever, okay. One more stamp on that big loving 2020 Bingo card I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cinema discusso posters accusing someone of working backwards from a conclusion

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Alaois posted:

:jerkbag:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alaois posted:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alaois posted:

someone else somewhere did a thing too

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

lunar detritus posted:

I wonder how hard it is to move from something pretty stable (if soul sucking from what every youtuber has said) to... well, anything else. The temptation to just go back and make another video must be pretty strong if things get tough.

YouTube isn't all that stable unless you're managing to stick to a schedule and/or have a very solid Patreon following, and even then there's a constant pressure to produce. From what I've heard Twitch is actually a more regular form of income relative to the amount of work it takes, once you've managed to garner a stable minimum of watchers. I don't expect her to come back unless she really feels like making a video for fun again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alaois posted:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I don't see why it's a big deal to talk about the subject of a video posted in this thread. People have multi-page details about anime or video games that have nothing to do with what this thread is supposed to be about, at least this is about a video from an internet personality.