Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have worse teeth than my younger brother and he got braces with the promise i'd get them "soon" and here I am at 24, still with hosed up teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
Ok, content. Here’s the text I sent my mom before I blocked her on everything. I have been working with a therapist for several years, basically since my dad’s suicide, and he gave me the green light on it:

”me” posted:

Mom,

I am writing this to tell you that I will be estranging myself from you. Do not attempt to contact me in any way. I want you to know that this is not to punish you, it is to protect myself. I want very much to have a normal mother-daughter relationship like many of my friends have with their moms. I know [sister] wants that to. However, you have proven to us, over and over, that this is not possible with you at this point in time.

I do not want an apology from you. Your “I’m so sorry”s and “please forgive me”s are words that you use to ease your own emotional discomfort while never actually changing the behavior that you apologize for. Those words mean nothing coming from your mouth anymore, and in fact cause me great pain to hear.

My hope is that with intensive therapy and self-reflection, you will someday be able to understand how your actions affect others, how to respect boundaries, and manage your negative emotions in a healthy way without projecting them onto the people around you.

If/when we speak again, it will be in a moderated setting with a licensed counselor. This is non-negotiable. My therapist has offered to do this if yours is unwilling to do so. But do not expect it to be anytime soon — you need to work on yourself a lot before we can revisit having a relationship again, and I also need time and distance to heal.

-HAM ON THE BONE

Aaaand here’s the letter I got from my mom a week after cutting off contact:

gaslighting queen posted:

Dear HAM ON THE BONE,

I know that [stepdad that she married mere months after my dad’s suicide] called you and said “Your mom tried to kill herself”. Well I didn’t try to commit suicide. I would never do that no matter how bad I feel. Not after what your daddy did. I know the pain that caused all of us, and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that again.

I am happy with my life. I would never do that to you or your sister. I love you both so much.

This is what actually happened. I had three glasses of wine throughout the evening. I finally decided to tell your sister that we were moving to TX (note: my sis’s husband had gotten a job in TX a few months back and they had to move with their 2 kids, age 2 and 9 months). I was very excited and thought she would be happy. Then when she reacted the way she did I felt sad and dejected. She had said “what do you think you are doing not talking to me first about the move?”. Then she said she wouldn’t come see us because two hours away is too far.

(edit: for clarity, mom had decided to buy a house in texas TWO HOURS from where my sister lives. she claims this was the closest house in her price range. she sprung this on my sis with zero warning and expected her to pack two kids under age 3 in a car every week for a 4 hour round trip. lmao)

After that reaction I just wanted to go to sleep but I was too upset. So I took some valium. It was stupid I know but I couldn’t take the pain. I must have passed out at that point and hit by head. So you can see when [stepdad] walked in and I was on the floor with my head bleeding and he saw the pill bottle how it looked (note: she conveniently ignores that right before all this went down she texted my sister the following: “now i want to die [sister], thanks a lot. god will never forgive you for this”).

It was all a stupid accident on my part which I am still paying for.

This is the God’s honest truth, HAM ON THE BONE. If you choose not to or not believe me is up to you.

It would be a shame if I had to go the rest of my life not seeing or talking to you. I have been talking to a therapist since this happened. I have also had no alcohol (aaand the lie detector has determined... this is a lie. my aunt told my sis and I that mom had switched to blue moon beer instead of wine because it’s a lower alcohol % lmao). [Stepdad] and I are also in couples counseling. Things are getting better. I hope we can move on from here.

Love,
Mama

I did not reply.

e: edited for clarity

HAM ON THE BONE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 17, 2020

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
"Ok, but let me talk about myself a bunch"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That's a lot of I statements!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This oddly just popped up in my feed and gently caress it is spot on with my father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRMhS6oeehY

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Gaslighting queen" lmao perfection.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Gaslightning McQueen

good username

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father was the type that always needed a reason for his constant rage, so he was in luck with me, between glasses and braces as a kid, and then ten surgeries on my face when I was a teenager. I remember being in first grade and a bully grabbed my glasses right off my face, threw them on the ground, then stepped on them. It probably took me an hour to walk home from school sobbing that day because even then I understood that I would catch a beating for the broken glasses, regardless of how it happened. When I eventually got contacts, because glasses were causing me migraines, he would lose his loving mind if he happened to walk by the bathroom and I hadn't closed the door while putting them in or taking them out. He had a thing with eyes (also cotton) and would smack me around if he "caught" me doing anything with my lenses.

As for the cotton thing, if he needed anything from a pill bottle and someone hadn't already opened it and removed the wad that's usually on top, he would scream at my mother or beat the poo poo out of me.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father was the type that always needed a reason for his constant rage, so he was in luck with me, between glasses and braces as a kid, and then ten surgeries on my face when I was a teenager. I remember being in first grade and a bully grabbed my glasses right off my face, threw them on the ground, then stepped on them. It probably took me an hour to walk home from school sobbing that day because even then I understood that I would catch a beating for the broken glasses, regardless of how it happened. When I eventually got contacts, because glasses were causing me migraines, he would lose his loving mind if he happened to walk by the bathroom and I hadn't closed the door while putting them in or taking them out. He had a thing with eyes (also cotton) and would smack me around if he "caught" me doing anything with my lenses.

As for the cotton thing, if he needed anything from a pill bottle and someone hadn't already opened it and removed the wad that's usually on top, he would scream at my mother or beat the poo poo out of me.

My dad is nowhere near as bad as any of the parents in this thread, (we're even close now, now that he's aged and mellowed and learned how to express regret) but boy he was an angry rear end in a top hat when I was a kid and he used to flip the gently caress out about weird specific poo poo like that. his triggers were poo poo like:

- too many brown foods in the same meal
- scraping sounds
- not bringing the exact right number of serving spoons to the table
- not closing the front door with the exact right amount of force

and a whole bunch of other nonsense. I'm actually fairly sure that poo poo did legitimately wind him up in a way he just didn't have the tools to handle* and like I said, he's one of the better ones because he eventually somewhat sorted his poo poo out, but jesus christ I don't miss living in a home where normal, necessary activities had to be navigated with the delicacy and precision of mine-clearing. If he hadn't been able to eventually do some self-reflection and deal with the scars of his own lovely childhood, and his consequent poo poo parenting, I don't think any of his kids would talk to him at all right now.

*He was born in the 40's and never diagnosed with anything, but I'm diagnosed autistic and I'm 99.99% sure one of my brothers is also, and we're pretty sure my dad's mum was too, and. Well. Growing up a probably autistic left-handed bastard child of adultery in a Catholic family in Scotland in the 40's left some fuckin marks, ay, but way to pass on that generational trauma to four loving kids, dad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a weird...semi-phobia? about tissues and tissue paper and stuff like that, I think it comes from being constantly like forcibly face-cleaned by family members and just an un-ending stream of tissue packets shoved into my coat as a kid? Whatever, they gross me out now / make me a little angry when i see them left around. I don't use them, I just use other things instead. So when someone like, leaves a torn piece of tissue on the floor I get real annoyed and kinda grossed out (even if there's nothing on it!! thanks brain!!) and refuse to pick it up. It's petty and dumb and weird and I hate it but oh well guess I'm gonna live like this forever.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was a kid I loved baths. Sometime before I was 6 my parents tried to get me into showering but I didn't want it. So of course they'd force me in and hold my head under the stream so I'd just get used to it. Only now at nearly 40 I still can't put my face in the shower stream without my brain shutting down and having an extreme panic attack.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Things got a lot better between my mother and me after I went to see a therapist during my last stint in college, but I think we might have ended up estranged if I hadn't moved a thousand miles away before that [therapy] happened. Now we talk a couple of times a week and I see her for one week during Thanksgiving, and that's felt like a pretty good balance.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
There's this bizarre compulsion for conformity a lot of parents have -- I know mine did -- which drives them to force their children to conform to the most utterly bizarre bullshit. Nothing I ever did was right unless it matched their idea of what it should look like. Even playing with other kids was something they would police. Playing video games or board games with friends? Wrong way. Here's a basketball, go play basketball. It doesn't matter that this is your leisure time, you're not doing it right! Like splitting your food by type and eating them one by one? Wrong! You're supposed to mix these and eat a bit of everything as you go along! Don't let me catch you trying to finish one thing before the other! Putting your pajamas on as soon as you're home? No, that's sleep-only clothes!

Just an endless barrage of absurdity after absurdity to the point where I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of my "am I doin' this right?" anxiety comes from and hearing the phrase "that's (not) how you're supposed to do it" in any context still makes me see red to this day.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I think the positive brainworms have gotten to my mom. She's kind of forgotten the dumb, thoughtless poo poo she used to do, and I'm okay with it?

Like, I got the, "We spent $3000 on your braces and retainers, and you wouldn't wear your binator, so that's why your teeth are crooked!" bullshit for most of my teens and college years. Turns out, I had a deviated septum and couldn't breathe effectively through my nose, and my binator blocked me from breathing through my mouth, so I'd wake up in the morning with it lying on the floor somewhere. I didn't consciously remove it. I just apparently stopped loving breathing and my unconscious hands knew what to do. Oh, and my wisdom teeth came in sideways, so even if I had kept the drat thing in, my teeth would have gone sideways either way.

But yeah, she's forgotten a lot of poo poo. I would be less charitable about it, but she's decided if she can't remember what happened, she was at fault, and blames herself even if it was poo poo I did. Like, we lived in the same town for 6 years, and I never invited my parents over because my apartment was small, dingy, and uncomfortable, and I turned my living room into a music/art/electronics workshop, so it wasn't suited to having guests over. My parents, conversely, had amazingly comfy furniture, multiple fridges full of refreshments, and had a nice entertainment center with cable and satellite radio. Why would I subject them to a lumpy third-hand futon and torrents of anime on a laptop when we could drink cold beer on recliners and watch live sports in HD?

I feel a little bit bad that she's beating herself up over poo poo she didn't actually do, but I am appreciating that she's remembered the stuff she did do. It's been very weird.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I've got a weird...semi-phobia? about tissues and tissue paper and stuff like that, I think it comes from being constantly like forcibly face-cleaned by family members and just an un-ending stream of tissue packets shoved into my coat as a kid? Whatever, they gross me out now / make me a little angry when i see them left around. I don't use them, I just use other things instead. So when someone like, leaves a torn piece of tissue on the floor I get real annoyed and kinda grossed out (even if there's nothing on it!! thanks brain!!) and refuse to pick it up. It's petty and dumb and weird and I hate it but oh well guess I'm gonna live like this forever.

yeah i hate tissues, i find them disgusting. i had a friend as a kid whose sister always just shoved used tissues into the folds of the couch and poo poo like that

i blow my nose with tissues but i only do that if i have a trashcan nearby so i can just dump them right away, i dont want that poo poo festering in my pocket. snot is gross but its infinitely grosser if it's been lingering in the open air on a moist tissue all day

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

small ghost posted:

My dad is nowhere near as bad as any of the parents in this thread, (we're even close now, now that he's aged and mellowed and learned how to express regret) but boy he was an angry rear end in a top hat when I was a kid and he used to flip the gently caress out about weird specific poo poo like that. his triggers were poo poo like:

- too many brown foods in the same meal
- scraping sounds
- not bringing the exact right number of serving spoons to the table
- not closing the front door with the exact right amount of force

and a whole bunch of other nonsense. I'm actually fairly sure that poo poo did legitimately wind him up in a way he just didn't have the tools to handle* and like I said, he's one of the better ones because he eventually somewhat sorted his poo poo out, but jesus christ I don't miss living in a home where normal, necessary activities had to be navigated with the delicacy and precision of mine-clearing. If he hadn't been able to eventually do some self-reflection and deal with the scars of his own lovely childhood, and his consequent poo poo parenting, I don't think any of his kids would talk to him at all right now.

*He was born in the 40's and never diagnosed with anything, but I'm diagnosed autistic and I'm 99.99% sure one of my brothers is also, and we're pretty sure my dad's mum was too, and. Well. Growing up a probably autistic left-handed bastard child of adultery in a Catholic family in Scotland in the 40's left some fuckin marks, ay, but way to pass on that generational trauma to four loving kids, dad.

This is where I am with my dad too. I've reconciled with my parents and brother, but there was a point 7 years ago when i cut them off entirely, as soon as I got a job and could afford to live with roommates and pay rent. My dad has mellowed out as he has aged, and I feel like me moving out has changed the dyanmic enough that he realizes he could lose me permanently. I don't think he is autistic, but for lack of a better way to describe it, he lacks emotional maturity. If he's unhappy with something, everybody needs to immediatly know it, and it used to be that if you got him angry, then he expressed it physicall immediatly. Some of my earliest memories are thinking I or my brother or my mom were about to die because my dad was barreling at someone ready to punch them. My brother also was in the habit of doing stuff like that, but he has matured a lot in his late 20s, whereas my dad is much, much less violent, but still very emotionally immature.

He also doesn't remember a lot of the things that happened. He doesn't remember his hostility to homosexuality (which affected me a lot, and led me to not come out till 25). He does not remember the neighbors calling the cops, due to the screaming and crashing, on us on at least 3 occasions I can remember. He does not remember ripping the phone out of the wall, or overturning furniture or smashing things. He knows he got angry, but the specifics are always a surprise to him. I think it's genuine too, he just seems to have blocked it out.

I'm glad I have a relationship with him now, but I've sort of tried to compartmentalize the past, and treat the mellow, friendly dad I have now as sort of a seperate person. I don't want to go digging up old memories anymore, doesn't seem to be a point with him. But I also am very glad for the distance between us, and I would never move in again.

This thread has been really cathatic for me. As much as my parents were not as bad as what I have read here (in fact, my mom wasn't a problem except that she enabled my dad, and reacted to his anger by always trying to appease him, because that's what she was taught), it's nice to read this and realize I'm not singular in my experiences. I swear, I've tried to talk to friends about this, and the idea that you could not trust your parents, or hold them in high regard, is foreign to a lot of people. There's a lot of conversations at work over lunch that I completely step out of because my own take on stuff is so different from everyone else's.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 18, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid I loved baths. Sometime before I was 6 my parents tried to get me into showering but I didn't want it. So of course they'd force me in and hold my head under the stream so I'd just get used to it. Only now at nearly 40 I still can't put my face in the shower stream without my brain shutting down and having an extreme panic attack.

yeesh.

Showers rule tho.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i hate tissues, i find them disgusting. i had a friend as a kid whose sister always just shoved used tissues into the folds of the couch and poo poo like that

i blow my nose with tissues but i only do that if i have a trashcan nearby so i can just dump them right away, i dont want that poo poo festering in my pocket. snot is gross but its infinitely grosser if it's been lingering in the open air on a moist tissue all day

Glad it's not just me, drat.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Relentless posted:

Basically the same trick for friendgroups, too.

It wasn't until I was in college that I started to figure out why I connected so easily with some people, but just couldn't properly communicate with others.

People who've been through that shared trauma tend to have a tell. I don't think it's even what they're saying, or how they're saying it, but more in looking for the reaction to what they said. Making sure they're not accidentally stepping on a verbal landmine. And when the other person with shared trauma gives a countersign back that says "You're good.", the whole thing shifts and both people can relax just a little bit. Which is something they do not get from the people who've made them so paranoid in the first place.

Probably not the best description, but people without sign/countersign tend to come across as incredibly fake to me, and I just have a difficult time empathizing with them.

aaaaahaaahhhhhhhhh

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I invited my mom and sister to spend some time with my son and I this weekend because he's six years old and misses his grandmother and aunt. I'm not looking forward to it but they're not the massive fucks they usually are when hanging with my son, so maybe it'll go okay. I mean, it most likely will because I'll just straight up take him and leave if they try any poo poo, which they know. They have been pretty desperate to spend some time with my son but no way in hell would I send him to spend time with either of them alone.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The Little Death posted:

This is where I am with my dad too. I've reconciled with my parents and brother, but there was a point 7 years ago when i cut them off entirely, as soon as I got a job and could afford to live with roommates and pay rent. My dad has mellowed out as he has aged, and I feel like me moving out has changed the dyanmic enough that he realizes he could lose me permanently. I don't think he is autistic, but for lack of a better way to describe it, he lacks emotional maturity. If he's unhappy with something, everybody needs to immediatly know it, and it used to be that if you got him angry, then he expressed it physicall immediatly. Some of my earliest memories are thinking I or my brother or my mom were about to die because my dad was barreling at someone ready to punch them. My brother also was in the habit of doing stuff like that, but he has matured a lot in his late 20s, whereas my dad is much, much less violent, but still very emotionally immature.

He also doesn't remember a lot of the things that happened. He doesn't remember his hostility to homosexuality (which affected me a lot, and led me to not come out till 25). He does not remember the neighbors calling the cops, due to the screaming and crashing, on us on at least 3 occasions I can remember. He does not remember ripping the phone out of the wall, or overturning furniture or smashing things. He knows he got angry, but the specifics are always a surprise to him. I think it's genuine too, he just seems to have blocked it out.

I'm glad I have a relationship with him now, but I've sort of tried to compartmentalize the past, and treat the mellow, friendly dad I have now as sort of a seperate person. I don't want to go digging up old memories anymore, doesn't seem to be a point with him. But I also am very glad for the distance between us, and I would never move in again.

This thread has been really cathatic for me. As much as my parents were not as bad as what I have read here (in fact, my mom wasn't a problem except that she enabled my dad, and reacted to his anger by always trying to appease him, because that's what she was taught), it's nice to read this and realize I'm not singular in my experiences. I swear, I've tried to talk to friends about this, and the idea that you could not trust your parents, or hold them in high regard, is foreign to a lot of people. There's a lot of conversations at work over lunch that I completely step out of because my own take on stuff is so different from everyone else's.

Selective memory. My dad has that too. I've also wondered if my dad's on the spectrum. He's really, really into trains. Anyway, he doesn't remember his tirades where he'd go off on usually Democrats and describe, screaming at the top of his voice, the violent death and dismemberment they deserved. Then how they should be dug up and dismembered again, etc. There would be no actual political discussion going on beforehand. He'd just start going off with this crazy poo poo one moment, and he'd get very creative with his violent fantasies. It would have been funny if he wasn't so angry and so determined. He doesn't remember his temper tantrums. I don't buy it. I don't think it's some intentional thing he's doing though. His behavior just doesn't stand out to him. Like it wasn't worth remembering, because consequences that affect other people don't register with him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AuntBuck posted:

Selective memory.

I call it 'revisionist history' with my dad, and he gets incredibly mad at me when I use that phrase with him. Of course, he'll claim he never did something, but if it gets pressed it devolves into 'that was a long time ago' or 'put down that burden, it's heavy.' (I absolutely loving hate that phrase).

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I like 'revisionist history'. I can use that. It's annoying they won't accept any accountability. I'm out of patience for gaslighting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

I call it 'revisionist history' with my dad, and he gets incredibly mad at me when I use that phrase with him. Of course, he'll claim he never did something, but if it gets pressed it devolves into 'that was a long time ago' or 'put down that burden, it's heavy.' (I absolutely loving hate that phrase).

I remember realizing just how stunning cognitive dissonance could be when during an argument my mother used something I sarcastically said when I was 12 while yelling at me about my grades in my years later and when I brought up something she had done like 6 months ago she told me I needed to learn to move on and let things go.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
My dad blocked me today because... I couldn't buy drugs for him. He cares more about getting a vape pen than about having a relationship with his children. It's loving absurd and I'm so upset that my parent would treat me that way

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Your dad doesn't deserve to have a relationship with you.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Should have gotten him one of those vapes that gave people popcorn lung.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
He just threatened to kill himself over all of it so I called the cops.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rat posted:

Jesus Christ. That blows, rodent goon.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

LOL my parents are leaving me literal poo poo (they're hoarders)

Rat posted:

Good :unsmith:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AuntBuck posted:

LOL my parents are leaving me literal poo poo (they're hoarders)

I know for a fact that when mine croak, I won't be mentioned in the will and if I am, it'll be for some pisspoor amount. Which means I'll have to challenge it in court, which means my Golden Child siblings will get annoyed at me more than they currently are, because their payouts will get delayed until I get the 25% I'm entitled to. Which, if it needs to go through the High Court, will take about 4 or 5 years.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I don't see much downside in taking it to court then. Even non-assholes can get amazingly petty and selfish when there's an inheritance.

I don't expect my dad will have anything prepared, so if he dies first, I'm going to have a huge mess to clean up, financially and literally.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
mine would have to stop giving money to dodgy “military man in search of a wife” dudes and fake windows support scams before i ever got anything. which i won’t

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Stay well, possum goon

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rat posted:

Good, and I'm sorry you had to go through that because of him

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Stay well, possum goon

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you get over the anger and need for them to acknowledge what they did to you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

time. therapy too, but time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Picnic Princess posted:

...I *understand* this. I struggle with even just washing my face because my grandmother used to insist on washing my hair in the sink. Constantly. And was horrible at it. I got water and soap in my eyes and mouth a lot. I'm 28 years old and still have to be slow washing my face and have to have a towel ready at the shower to dry my eyes and face frequently. The supreme anxiety has finally lessened over the past few years, but I still can't have water in my face for long.

Don't get me started on swimming pools....

More directly related to estrangement, today was my father's birthday (I'm terrible at dates, I literally only have my own, my mother's and my girlfriend's birthday's memorized). And apparently he's sending his (recent) ex-wife to try to get me to contact him. Not my (half-)sister. Not my (half-)brother. Not my mother (who I am still, thankfully, cool with). His ex-wife.

After he previously harassed my mother shortly after the estrangement started.

Needless to say, I'm ignoring her.