Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you're doing it for non-commercial purposes, probably that DJI Mavic Mini. Beyond line of sight may start to be an issue depending on what the building is made of. I believe you can program the flight course and review footage later. You may run into geo-fencing issues, though, and I don't think it has collision avoidance sensors. Someone else will probably chime in with more accurate info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If you're doing it for non-commercial purposes, probably that DJI Mavic Mini. Beyond line of sight may start to be an issue depending on what the building is made of. I believe you can program the flight course and review footage later. You may run into geo-fencing issues, though, and I don't think it has collision avoidance sensors. Someone else will probably chime in with more accurate info.

It does not have collision avoidance sensors except for one looking down. You can not program flight paths and let it fly itself. The only autonomous things it can do is stuff like taking a "dronie" which is not useful in this case.
Geofencing should only be an issue if you got a no-fly zone nearby.
Beyond line of sight is no problem though. Even with a building in between it should be able to do something like 300m range easily. Although, yeah it would be a bit risky without sensors. But if you are only flying on your property you should know where the trees are!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Also in the UK it’s illegal to fly beyond visual line of sight...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slash posted:

Also in the UK it’s illegal to fly beyond visual line of sight...

There's an exception for POV cameras (with a spotter), but even so, it's not a reasonable request to have direct line of sight a couple of metres above your own roof. I'm willing to take the risk on my own property, since the worst that would happen while out of LOS is damage or loss of my own property.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 18, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Corky Romanovsky posted:

If you're doing it for non-commercial purposes, probably that DJI Mavic Mini.

So I've just checked the price, and this is on me, but I forgot to say "budget price range, willing to take a hit on quality". I'll keep the mavic mini in my back pocket, though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's an exception for POV cameras (with a spotter), but even so, it's not a reasonable request to have direct line of sight a couple of metres above your own roof. I'm willing to take the risk on my own property, since the worst that would happen while out of LOS is damage or loss of my own property.

I assume you mean FPV. In which case the spotter has to be competent and maintain line of sight.

Also you’re not allowed to fly within 50 Metres of people or buildings(and 150M from gatherings). Whether you adhere to these rules or not is up to you.

If you’re being compensated for flying a drone you also need a PFCO(permission first commercial operation) license to stay within the law.

I do drone racing in public parks and often have to deal with members of the public so try to make sure I’m familiar with the rules.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slash posted:

I assume you mean FPV. In which case the spotter has to be competent and maintain line of sight.

Also you’re not allowed to fly within 50 Metres of people or buildings(and 150M from gatherings). Whether you adhere to these rules or not is up to you.

If you’re being compensated for flying a drone you also need a PFCO(permission first commercial operation) license to stay within the law.

I do drone racing in public parks and often have to deal with members of the public so try to make sure I’m familiar with the rules.

It's literally so I can check out hard to reach parts of my property without risking people's lives climbing on roofs, but I appreciate you looking out for me, law-wise.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
On your own property? Jack-booted thugs are on the way!

It's a bit of a novelty suggestion, but I did it with one of my drones:

* 270 size frame
* 2204 motors and 6x3 props
* little GPS puck for position hold
* 2 cameras and a video switcher (regular fpv cam, and a downward-facing camera)

My setup was a 450 with bigger motors, but the purpose was to try and rescue downed drones on rooftops.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

insta posted:

On your own property? Jack-booted thugs are on the way!

On one hand I understand, laws are laws, and they're there because it's not too hard for malfunctions and whatnot to cause a drone on your property to suddenly not be on your property, but given the balance of risks to doing it other ways I'm willing to take the chance of an encounter with the local fuzz.

insta posted:

It's a bit of a novelty suggestion, but I did it with one of my drones:

* 270 size frame
* 2204 motors and 6x3 props
* little GPS puck for position hold
* 2 cameras and a video switcher (regular fpv cam, and a downward-facing camera)

My setup was a 450 with bigger motors, but the purpose was to try and rescue downed drones on rooftops.

I will investigate, thanks.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Still relevant today:

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I don't see how some other contraption of rods/pipes, and your extant camera and servo equipment would be less viable or accurate.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I used my ancient DJI F450 with a Xiaomi Yi gopro knockoff on a sketchy 2 axis gimbal to fly over a neighbor's barn and document the roof that was falling apart.

So what exactly is the budget? I understand not wanting to spend too much if you just need it this one time, so maybe see if you can rent it or find someone who has a drone? I think it's either the DJI Spark or the cheap Mavic knockoffs, all of which look like garbage (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhckSe0pL4c&t=836s) but might be good enough. DIY could get you good results if you use a nice camera but it'll be a huge pain in the rear end to start from scratch and will probably end up more expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

So what exactly is the budget? I understand not wanting to spend too much if you just need it this one time, so maybe see if you can rent it or find someone who has a drone?

Budget probably caps out around £200. Anything more than that and it becomes an investment that needs to see more ongoing usage, becomes a bit of a boondoggle sort of thing.

Once I'm into renting, I may as well hire a roofer to do the inspection.

It's totally OK if my use case is impractical with what's on the market now, but it would be nice to be able to go "oh poo poo there's water ingress in this room, let's check the flashing on the nearby skylight" without having to set up an access tower or book in a roofer.

mobby_6kl posted:

I used my ancient DJI F450 with a Xiaomi Yi gopro knockoff on a sketchy 2 axis gimbal to fly over a neighbor's barn and document the roof that was falling apart.

DIY could get you good results if you use a nice camera but it'll be a huge pain in the rear end to start from scratch and will probably end up more expensive.

I do have a go pro knockoff floating around, but yeah I suspect there'll be far more hassle involved trying to rig something up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah makes sense. Check out the video I linked or one of his other reviews, if it looks good enough, that could be your solution.
This one for example looks a bit better and is £120. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6aBr8J_s8M

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah makes sense. Check out the video I linked or one of his other reviews, if it looks good enough, that could be your solution.
This one for example looks a bit better and is £120. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6aBr8J_s8M

That looks like the sort of price/quality point I was looking for, thanks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lost my favorite 5" into the very top of a tree, right at the very end of the battery. Not enough juice left to turtle mode it out, but I was able to at least spot it. Brought the mavic out to carry a rope over the branch, then crashed it because I'm an impatient dumbass who descended way too fast on the other side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNRKACVWMMM

Damage isn't too bad:

All the above is fixable, or at least easy enough to pop back in place despite a couple busted screw housings. What sucks is this innoculous looking damage:

This is the piece that stops the leg's travel after rotating out of the storage position. It will still stop the leg at the right position, but with very little force it will continue to rotate upward about 15 degrees. It will still snap back to the regular position though, but is not rock-solid in place like the other leg.

It still flies, seemingly without issue. I've got both insurance and DJI refresh, so I'm debating sending it in for repair. I don't think repair cost will be more than the $119 or whatever to get a replacement.

The 5" is still in the tree.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

That looks like the sort of price/quality point I was looking for, thanks!

Looks like I'm SOL on this one for now, as it requires 5ghz wifi capability on your phone which mine does not have. Oh well! Will keep it in my back pocket.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hello, old friend.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So even though I limited my throttle and I did end up messing with my rates a bit, the babyhawk R is proving difficult to learn on, it can get away from you so easily. Can anyone recommend a smaller/whoop style drone that would be better for learning fpv outdoors? Preferably with a frsky receiver.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So even though I limited my throttle and I did end up messing with my rates a bit, the babyhawk R is proving difficult to learn on, it can get away from you so easily. Can anyone recommend a smaller/whoop style drone that would be better for learning fpv outdoors? Preferably with a frsky receiver.

I’ve been really happy with my beta FPV meteor65. 1s ducted whoop that you can crash into anything and is tame enough to fly indoors. There’s also the mobula 6 if you don’t want to swap to a new battery connector.

I had the chance to fly a tinyhawk freestyle2 recently as well that was a lot of fun and quite capable if you want open props

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

https://betafpv.com/products/hx100-se-fpv-quad

Might be a good fit for you. Only 1S, so much lower power, but it's still very much an outdoor drone, so you should find it easier to go back to your babyhawk once you've got practice in. The trouble with tinywhoops is that they feel totally different to anything else because they're so underpowered. They're great fun though don't get me wrong.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lower the throttle high point until you're comfy with it. You'll be fine.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Another random though, have you tried out any of the simulators?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I suppose I can reduce the throttle further and try that before I but anything. I like the look of that mobula 6.

I did try a simulator (liftoff) last year, and I should probably give that a shot again too.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 26, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, wouldn't reducing the rates be more useful than just reducing max throttle? What exactly are the issues you have with flying?.

But basicaly, find a big open field, get comfortable flying in a big space (You'll still crash a lot) and then get lower and closer to stuff.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erhh, wouldn't reducing the rates be more useful than just reducing max throttle? What exactly are the issues you have with flying?.

But basicaly, find a big open field, get comfortable flying in a big space (You'll still crash a lot) and then get lower and closer to stuff.

It may be just a space limitation, but the drone is so fast I run out of space very quickly. A smaller drone would work a lot better in the limited space. I've already reduced my rates to around 600 deg max I think, could probably go more.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
One of the best pieces of beginner advice is to fly sim. If you crash, push button for instant reset. Instant. You don't need to walk over and untangle the drone, get it out from under the sofa, knock it out of the tree. Instant reset. Get your first hundred or thousand crashes out of the way in the simulator.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Seconding playing on sims, especially if you can hook up your radio to your pc and use it as a controller. Playing a few hours on sims when I started out really helped me get my bearings. There's no worrying about batteries and if you crash you just hit a button and restart instantly. In other words, there's no downtime and you can iterate faster. I use Liftoff but I think other options like DRL or Velocidrone are available?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Corky Romanovsky posted:

One of the best pieces of beginner advice is to fly sim. If you crash, push button for instant reset. Instant. You don't need to walk over and untangle the drone, get it out from under the sofa, knock it out of the tree. Instant reset. Get your first hundred or thousand crashes out of the way in the simulator.
Yup, I came from flying fixed wings into quads and can say that simulators were 100x less frustrating than physical flying to learn on. I started with the basics flying LOS just hovering in place for a pack, then walking around with the drone in front of me, then got stuck when trying to fly it left and right to my sides. Switched to Liftoff and after an evening I felt like I was so much better. Even after learning to fly I still play the simulators to experiment with when trying new things so it isn't like you'll outgrow them after a few days either.

RealFlight - not great for quads unless you want to see what flying a quad 5 years ago was like. I dunno how they get away with charging $100 for this poo poo, but I guess it is nearly the only game in town for fixed wing
Liftoff - Great simulation, cool and varied locations, more outdoorsy feel, fun to do infinite race practice online to see other people flying too
DRL - Great simulation too, tracks are more epic DRL race tracks that are more fun to race but not as fun to screw around on
DCL - I've only tried this on their free weekend and it was alright but mostly race-focused so I'd skip it to learn on

I'd say get either Liftoff ($16 now) or DRL ($9 now). I'd prefer Liftoff for learning on, but you can't beat the price of DRL. In both of these don't even worry about adjusting PIDs. I'm not sure why either game even has these since the simulated quads will fly fine even with crazy values in the PIDs. Just set your rates and goooooo. I hear what you're saying about feeling like you're running out of space when you fly though. I am [trying to] tune a 3" in my back yard, which is about 20ft x 15ft of opens pace with a tree overhanging the area and with the FPV goggles on I feel like there's nowhere I feel safe.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

velocidrone is deece also. currykitten sim is basic but free.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I would 100% recommend Velocidrone. It was definitely the most realistic one of all the aims I've tried.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Velocidrone is a good enough sim that you can try things like rates in it and carry them over. It actually runs (an old version of) betaflight in the sim.

There's not much gaminess to it compared to liftoff but it's the best actual simulation

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I already have liftoff from when I was messing with it last year. Set it up again this morning, finding it difficult to emulate how the babyhawk feels (just for a reference). I'm not sure what would affect feel the most, I'm assuming weight and thrust. Like I feel like I need to push the throttle a lot higher to get off the ground in the sim. Not sure if there's a way to calculate thrust from the motor type or some poo poo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Call for a DIY IK
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930843

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here know anything about fireworks? I’m headed to a show tomorrow on private property where I’m flying my drone (parrot bebop 2) in a circle around the fireworks show.

It will be dark so I’m gonna program a flight ahead of time in flight plan that will just do circles around the launch area.

The beebop flight planner will let you set the altitude of the drone and the altitude of the point of interest you want to film.

I’m gonna set the POI at the launch point at maybe 200 feet up with the drone maybe 300 feet up?

I’m filming the ones below. more substantial than your average Walmart fare, less gnarly than your cities 4th of July show. What say ye goons? What’s your guess at altitude?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
So I've never flown an RC before and want a cheap-ish, controllable-main-rotor-pitch helicopter that can survive a crash. Blade Nano S2 and XK K110 seem to be the recommendations but they're out of stock across the UK. Anyone want to suggest some alternatives to check before I order off Banggood and have to wait a month to get it? Specifically collective-pitch because I like helicopters and without that it's not the same, and something that can work with a fancy transmitter if I get into it would be cool.
I have flown (fullsize) heli sims a bit.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 4, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I got a XK k120 so that I could fly it indoors. It's ok. Radio is usable
This guy got a good review of the K110 and seems to rate it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yIB2-KSZyk
My hot take is that you're better off with 180+, but costs also goes up exponentially and crashes become expensive.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have an XK K110. It is my first helicopter experience, besides a tiny bit simulated in MSF and ArmA. A couple of packs in I did a loop and a short bit of inverted. It was terrifying. Would recommend.

I have a bunch of XK stuff, generally pleased with it. Used a Futaba T10J with the heli. If you can't find the K110, I bet their other models are good too, though that 3 blade replica Airbus(?) is anemic w.r.t. 3D flight. The chargers that came with do overvolt a bit. I think in saw 4.3 or 4.35 on a pack, so keep that in mind.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I've owned two XK K110s. The first time I bought it, I beefed it pretty hard a few times and it never flew right for me. The K100 I owned at the same time never game me any such trouble.

Six or seven months later, I bought another K110 after outgrowing the K100 and loved it. I think what made the biggest difference is I was using my Taranis X7S with a multiprotocol module to fly it this time instead of opting for the RTF version. The transmitter that comes with the RTF package is very nice for an RTF radio, but the dead zones are too big and configuring curves is a pain in the rear end. The price difference between the BNF and RTF versions is about the same as a 4-in-1 multiprotocol module, so you may has well go that route anyway, espcially since having a multiprotocol module opens the door to using your transmitter to fly all sorts of things in the future. I can share my OpenTX model file if you are completely new to setting up a collective pitch helicopter on a radio.

There are some things you should do to make owning a K110 a much more enjoyable experience:
  • As stated earlier, using your own hobby grade transmitter (if you have one) makes a world of difference. Every move you make will feel smoother and more precise. Configuring curves and rates will be much easier too.
  • Buy a shitload of replacement parts in advance. At this point, I almost have enough to make a whole new helicopter, minus the motor and receiver board. I recommend getting extra main blades (WLToys V911s blades are compatible and much cheaper in bulk), main shafts (probably the carbon fiber version--more on that below), horizontal shafts, tail props, main gears, bearings, and a spare servo. The K110 is a sister model to the older WLToys V977, so try searching for parts under that name to find them cheaper. There is also a limited amount of cross-compatibility between the K110 and the K100/V966 (for instance, the servos and all main blade parts are identical, but anything to do with the tail probably isn't).
  • Carbon fiber main shafts are slightly cheaper than the steel ones, a lot more resistant to bending, and they won't send crash energy to other components as much. However, they are 1-2mm too long at the top and need to be filed down to get the screw hole to line up with the rotor head.

Carbon fiber shafts won't bend the first time you make a mistake, but they aren't indestructible and will lose their torsional rigidity over time (due to internal cracking/disbonding, probably). It will take many, many crashes to make this happen, but if you start noticing intermittent mystery vibrations that are bad enough to affect tail hold and can't track it down because the shaft is still perfectly straight, a really rubbery, twisty main shaft is probably why.

Protip: this is a bizarre discovery, but I've found that the lovely knockoff main gears sold on AliExpress fit the carbon shafts beautifully because the holes are slightly smaller than the ones on the genuine gears and more closely match the 3/4 moon shape cut into the bottom of the shaft. You'll want some of these if you go carbon fiber. Stick with the genuine OEM gears if you're going to continue to use steel shafts though.
  • Put heat shrink over the tail boom. They are made of carbon and are prone to cracking during a tail strike if not reinforced. You don't need to cover the whole length. Covering just the front half will improve durability immensely.
  • Put tape over the top center (near the rotor head) and bottom one-thirds (near the landing skids) of the canopy. Those parts tend to make contact in nose crashes and will crack easily if not protected. I like to use acetate cloth tape (the kind often used on bind-and-fly quads to secure motor wires to the arms) because electrical tape comes undone after a while.
  • GNB 450mAh LiHVs fit the battery tray of the K110 perfectly. They are cheaper than the stock batteries and provide noticeably more power (my starting head speed went from 5,000 RPM to almost 6,000). You'll need to either build a Molex-to-JST PH 2.0 adapter or replace the battery harness on the ESC directly to use them though. The stock battery is trash and will fail sooner than you think, so expect to do this mod at some point.
  • You can buy full replacement tail assemblies, but it's worth learning how to splice new motor wires on if you ever have to replace a tail motor or fix pinched wiring because individual parts are much cheaper. This model uses enamel wire because it is thin enough to run through the inside the tail boom, but it's actually not bad to work with. If you ever have to cut off a damaged portion of the wire, the coating can be stripped back by touching a soldering iron tip to it briefly.

For whatever reason, both K110s I bought had a servo that started dying after a mild crash on day one. Both times I replaced them, all the servos were unkillable after that. Go figure. If you're amassing a spare parts hoard, it's unlikely you'll need more than one of these.

I've messed with Horizon Hobby products in the past and they have always left me unimpressed. The two Blade mCP X helicopters I played around with had really sloppy stabilization, notchy motors that kick on way too hard during startup, and do really unstable pirouettes. I don't know if this carries over to other models, but I would stay away. By comparison, the XK K100 and K110 had higher head speed and gyro stabilization that was much more locked in, so I would definitely recommend them instead.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Cool, thanks. Seems like almost everything is out of stock, so I have an XK K110 coming to me from China in a month or so.
I will heatshrink and tape it up for sure.
Now I guess I'll throw some paper aeroplanes or something...