Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

This is called transliteration and yes, it is hard to do well for the reasons you mentioned. I think they genuinely wanted this to land with western audiences after sinking so much love and care into it, and to address the translation issues from the first game. ("this guy are sick")

Good choice on restarting for elemental, though. There's only 2 of them in the entire game and unless you SEVERELY grind your face off with a battle Sim it won't be at lv2/3 by the time you go to hard mode.

Ack, I feel stupid as all hell. This is one of the problems with being a prep-school dropout who should have gone to college but hasn't yet. You can articulate stuff like that but never properly learned about it, including the basic goddamn term, sometimes.

Speaking of being old... I kind of assume a lot of people in this thread were born within a year or two of me (1985), meaning we were more or less of middle school or perhaps early high school age when we played it, which is of course a deeply impressionable time. I don't really... know about a lot of you but I cannot help but have an extremely emotional reaction to certain scenes and moments in this game. Aerith in particular, even though I always wanted to dislike her when I was a kid and first played it (I was a pretty dark and smoldering child), I sort of couldn't because even in the original game there was a sort of irrepressible warmth and kindness to her which you just could not deny. They more or less amped all of this WAY up in the remake in an aesthetic sense - Aeris as the fragile but resilient blossoming flower growing out of the broken rubble of the slums.

The interesting thing for me is that... I wasn't really hooked into this game for the first few chapters. I mean... I liked it a lot, I thought the battle system was great and the visual aesthetics jaw-droppingly fabulous - like a playable Advent Chilldren film, which wasn't even a pipe dream when AC came out in 2005. But I was finding the overall experience to be a bit... heartless, and lacking a certain je ne sais quoi I could not really put my finger on entirely. I was especially thinking this at the church sequence, which felt... wrong, and deeply discomfiting, given the presence of the Dementor-like shades. It sort of ruined the nostalgic vibe I was hoping for, though. I was so very thrilled and happy to hear the line "back then, we used to get by with just skinned knees..." staying in almost word for word. Don't know why but it's one of those lines that really stuck in my mind, and as an adult now for 15 years whenever I'm sick or hurt myself, it runs through my mind. Seems like an oddly significant line, it's almost a bit meta and I'm not still not sure precisely what it means, which to me is a good thing.

Anyway, the point where the game hooked me? When you go to Aerith's house for the first time, and it's like... the very first time you see an entire frame without any concrete, twisted metal, rubble, neon or signs of destruction. Also, just the way they manage to pull off Aerith's character! Once again, I feel like Cloud - I almost want to be annoyed at her, but I just can't do it because she's too legitimately sweet and warm. I do not really get into the whole thing about "shipping" Cloud with Tifa or Aerith (or Jessie for that matter), but I can't say I don't understand it on some level. I just feel the need to point out that I'm almost a bit grossed out at the prospect of a sexual thing with Cloud and Aerith - there's something very pure about the way her character comports herself and interacts with the world of Midgar. They just seem like friends. After watching chapter 9, they REALLY seem like just friends.

I have so many things to say about Wall Market and the new Honeybee Inn, WOW. I'll just say that I am downright envious of the questioning/queer kids today who get to play THIS version of FF7 and experience THIS version of the Honeybee Inn, where we get an amazingly awesome interactive dance number that turns into an episode of drag race complee with an affirming RuPaul-esque quote from Andrea at the end.

In our version of the Honeybee Inn back in 1997, a muscular man with a mustache and a penchant for yiddish rapes you while unconscious. So, yeah. Makes me feel a bit old, but it feels satisfying to note just how far we've come in the last 20-odd years, especially today of all days.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that they knocked the Wall Market sequence out of the park is always going to be the most impressive part of the remake to me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think they went a bit too Manic Pixie Dream Girl with Aerith's character in the remake, but given that everybody was worried about her becoming the shy and submissive girl that everybody's memories warped her into over the years and her appearances in the pre-release trailers certainly didn't do anything to reassure anybody, then I'm not too upset that they overshot in the other direction (and even then only really a little tiny bit).

Concrete example: Cloud sneaks out of Aerith's house to go to sector six:

"It's dangerous there, I'm not going to ask a woman to go along"
"What do you mean, not going to ask a woman to go along? Don't be a jerk. Mom, I'm going to go take Cloud to sector six, I'll be back later"
... Cloud sneaks out then gets accosted by Aerith ...
"You done [making excuses]? Come on, sector six is this way."

versus

"What are you doing?"
"waaaiting :razz:"
"Why?"
"because I'm not sick of you yet~ :razz:"

But like I said it's a minor thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kaworu posted:

Anyway, the point where the game hooked me? When you go to Aerith's house for the first time, and it's like... the very first time you see an entire frame without any concrete, twisted metal, rubble, neon or signs of destruction.
One of the moments in the game that really stuck with me was heading towards her house for the first time, noticing the steadily-increasing density of greenery, and realizing it was the first time I'd seen plants all game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

One of the moments in the game that really stuck with me was heading towards her house for the first time, noticing the steadily-increasing density of greenery, and realizing it was the first time I'd seen plants all game.

In abundance, that is. There's the flower patch in the church and some greenery around the orphanage(I think). It was not lost on me that those are places Aerith spends significant time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember when they first showed Aerith's face and a bunch of creepy dorks thought it made her look too old and cooked up an alternative where she looked like a literal baby?

Anyway, I hope they're loving miserable and hate this game as much as everyone else loves it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

In abundance, that is. There's the flower patch in the church and some greenery around the orphanage(I think). It was not lost on me that those are places Aerith spends significant time.

I think there's a sidequest where you explicitly deliver flowers from Aerith's house to the orphanage so yeah, she's the only one with a green thumb in that city it looks like.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Remember when they first showed Aerith's face and a bunch of creepy dorks thought it made her look too old and cooked up an alternative where she looked like a literal baby?

Anyway, I hope they're loving miserable and hate this game as much as everyone else loves it.

Oh god I definitely memory holed this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's a shame leslie is trash because his theme is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkSECUtiDk

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a shame leslie is trash because his theme is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkSECUtiDk

He looks exactly like a kakkoii Japanese college student hanging out with his high school girlfriend in front of the Shibuya crossing Starbucks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

I think they went a bit too Manic Pixie Dream Girl with Aerith's character in the remake, but given that everybody was worried about her becoming the shy and submissive girl that everybody's memories warped her into over the years and her appearances in the pre-release trailers certainly didn't do anything to reassure anybody, then I'm not too upset that they overshot in the other direction (and even then only really a little tiny bit).

Concrete example: Cloud sneaks out of Aerith's house to go to sector six:

"It's dangerous there, I'm not going to ask a woman to go along"
"What do you mean, not going to ask a woman to go along? Don't be a jerk. Mom, I'm going to go take Cloud to sector six, I'll be back later"
... Cloud sneaks out then gets accosted by Aerith ...
"You done [making excuses]? Come on, sector six is this way."

versus

"What are you doing?"
"waaaiting :razz:"
"Why?"
"because I'm not sick of you yet~ :razz:"

But like I said it's a minor thing.

Aerith's a PUA so she was negging Cloud to establish value.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He looks exactly like a kakkoii Japanese college student hanging out with his high school girlfriend in front of the Shibuya crossing Starbucks.

he looks like he's in the wrong game

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

he looks like he's in the wrong game

Stylistically, he fits in with Advent Children (which he wasn't in but he was in the novel set between the end of FFVII and AC.)

I'm guessing we'll meet up with him again in the second part of the remake seeing as he more than likely will be involved in the second Corneo incident in Wutai, seeing as how Corneo unbelievably survives the events of FFVII and beyond.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sapozhnik posted:

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

:pseudo:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

just finished my first playthrough and my biggest regret is not equipping the Nail Bat for that sweet sephiroth fight cutscene

e: I rushed through the first chapter on hard mode and had to solo the loving scorpion as barrett because I hosed up and got cloud ko'd. the autorepair heal was barely outpacing my damage until I could time a stagger with Catastrophe and then immediately after hit with a focused shot, lmao this game is good

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 16, 2020

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I want to go back and play the original again, is the Steam version + ReMako mod + Beacause retranslation the way to go nowadays?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I want to go back and play the original again, is the Steam version + ReMako mod + Beacause retranslation the way to go nowadays?

for the best experience, buy a PS1 and a CRT television and play it in your childhood bedroom

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

for the best experience, buy a PS1 and a CRT television and play it in your childhood bedroom

Even if a new family has long since moved in to that house.

Especially if.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Retroarch with a nice CRT shader works too. I recommend the iscar mattias shader although there's a whole bunch of shaders to choose from.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think we should talk about how great the music is during the Honeybee Inn dance sequence.

It's extremely good. I didn't really notice it because I was focused on the minigame and all the cool poo poo on screen, but listening to the soundtrack, the music itself is good as gently caress as well.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

PT6A posted:

I think we should talk about how great the music is during the Honeybee Inn dance sequence.

It's extremely good. I didn't really notice it because I was focused on the minigame and all the cool poo poo on screen, but listening to the soundtrack, the music itself is good as gently caress as well.

Everything about it is strictly better than the original game. Aerith's reactions are priceless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WaltherFeng posted:

Everything about it is strictly better than the original game. Aerith's reactions are priceless.

That's the thing: Wall Market was one of the segments I was most concerned about them loving up, and not only did they not gently caress it up, but they made it more amazing than I could've imagined in pretty much every way. Apart from all the other great parts, I really appreciated how, although they did sort of play Lady Cloud off as a joke, it was treated in a much more sensitive way than the original. "True beauty is an expression of the heart. A thing without shame to which notions of gender don't apply."

Just a great segment of a great game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PT6A posted:

That's the thing: Wall Market was one of the segments I was most concerned about them loving up, and not only did they not gently caress it up, but they made it more amazing than I could've imagined in pretty much every way.

Streamers and players alike reacting with glee when the final boss of the Corneo Cup was revealed was one of my personal highlights.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I beat the squat challenge after a dozen tries after whining up thread.

I just hit chapter 16 and am climbing the Shinra tower, currently on floor 60. About how many hours do I have left until the end?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Anti-Hero posted:

I just hit chapter 16 and am climbing the Shinra tower, currently on floor 60. About how many hours do I have left until the end?

I feel like 2-4 hours? But don't sleep on hard mode; it's pretty much designed to start off where Normal finished, difficulty-wise, and it's pretty satisfying.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

You'd think you're near the end but the game is about to chuck you a nice (haha) long derail which depending on how you felt about the long sewer section you're either going to love or hate.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just tried Hard mode and nope, it's not for me. At first I thought No Items meant no items in battle.

Then I realized you can't use items at all so I was half dead with no MP by the time I reached the boss.

Yeah, that's bit too extreme for me even with Chakra and Pray.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

PT6A posted:

That's the thing: Wall Market was one of the segments I was most concerned about them loving up, and not only did they not gently caress it up, but they made it more amazing than I could've imagined in pretty much every way. Apart from all the other great parts, I really appreciated how, although they did sort of play Lady Cloud off as a joke, it was treated in a much more sensitive way than the original. "True beauty is an expression of the heart. A thing without shame to which notions of gender don't apply."

:hmmyes:

The hand massage was amazing as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

Nailed it, I know, moving on

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I just tried Hard mode and nope, it's not for me. At first I thought No Items meant no items in battle.

Then I realized you can't use items at all so I was half dead with no MP by the time I reached the boss.

It gets easier as you get used to it. Honestly I died a few times to the scorpion boss at the reactor because I did something stupid and cloud or barrett went down and the I forgot to slot revive materia on the other person.

Mp restores from boxes and such keep you going through most of it and since you know when a chapter is going to end you can blow your wad (of Mp) more strategically.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OxySnake posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised there wasn't a trophy for seeing all three hand massages, because I did that and wow was it worth it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you can't use items at all in Hard and assuming you got all the weapons and armour and materia you wanted in your first playthrough, are Gil and chests irrelevant except for the rare time you have to pay money to a quest character?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

If you can't use items at all in Hard and assuming you got all the weapons and armour and materia you wanted in your first playthrough, are Gil and chests irrelevant except for the rare time you have to pay money to a quest character?

Yes.

And you will have so much gil that it's essentially a non-issue even if you ignore treasure chests.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

Yes.

And you will have so much gil that it's essentially a non-issue even if you ignore treasure chests.

The hope is that I could ignore chests, yeah. Assuming I keep my MP replenished the path through each chapter can be more blissfully linear.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

OxySnake posted:

The cheap massage scene is great.

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Your levels will be high enough during Hard Mode that the MP restore from crates can cover two Cure spells. That plus Pray/Chakra was enough to tide me over during my run.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am back up to Episode 8/9 in my playthrough, yaaay! And this time I've not only got that key Elemental materia I so desperately wanted, but I have gotten a MUCH better grasp of how to play each character and what their true strengths and abilities are. There is SO MUCH depth in how you can set up each character via equipment/abilities/play-style - and I mean REAL depth, in all four of the playable characters I have (so far).

And I am always finding out new things, still! Like, one really awesome thing I found out about Cloud that has totally changed the way I approach every single battle, is the fact that you *do not* have to be in Punisher mode to parry/counterattack! I thought that was the one and only way to counterattack with Cloud, but I learned randomly on the internet that if you just tap the Guard/Block button while in Operator Mode just as an enemy is performing a melee attack on you, you WILL parry their blow, counterattack, and switch into Punisher Mode. I had no idea.

I'm actually shocked I'm doing well and enjoying the combat in this game, because I'm used to avoiding third-person action games like the plague. I'm naturally truly awful at these sorts of games, since my instinct is to always just attack and totally forget that the block button exists at all. You can actually get away with this in a ton of games (way too many) including most random battles - and even some boss battles. It is a LOT easier and works better if you remember to block, though. I have actually been remembering to block lately so, yay.

Still can't get over how good this game LOOKS. Part of me doesn't understand how it looks THIS good, so much better than other current PS4 games; tt seriously looks like it's running on some high-end gaming PC - it is very impressive! I mean, I can *sort see what they're doing - they're the sort of graphics that look fabulous from a distance and less realistic the closer you look at them. The graphics have a very interesting quality, though - they're almost painterly, without feeling at all unrealistic. Hell of a feat. I'm at Aerith's House picking flowers right now, and it IS shocking how good this looks! The light is even perfect! I also noticed this is the one place in Midgar where you hear chirping birds, and see the insects in the sunbeams. It's stunning. No insects or birds or green grass and flowes and trees in most of Midgar.

I don't think I ever made the connection or realized that the reason why Aerith's house (and to a lesser extent the Church where she spends less time) has all that living stuff growing all around it is because of her, and it's not as if she's just the only one in the Midgar who wanted a flower garden, it's because she is who she is (a Cetra) and is able to commune with the planet in some special and particular way. The flowers and birds and insects all living and existing is because of Aerith is able to like, tap a special vein from the lifestream and get a natural flow of it to this one place, even though the Mako reactors have tapped the place so dry that a single flower is a wonder and a rarity.. Don't think I really "got" what was really going on with Aerith there. It's interesting, because as I recall she's very coy about her own feelings regarding eco-terrorism and doing whatever it takes to save the planet, and I don't think she every truly/officially join AVALANCHE, but I could be wrong...I tended not to use Aerith or Tifa in my original playthrough. Still amazed at how much more interesting Tifa is in this game, I found her... somewhat lacking in the original game, but if I were heterosexual and/or a boob guy I'm sure I would have different feelings. O_O

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It helps that in a gameplay sense Tifa felt like the most fun to play. Cloud is sort of barebones melee (although you can do interesting things with his counter attacks), Barret is barebones range, Aerith is also range but trading speed for strength. And then Tifa has her own branch of melee where she has a half dozen options to go into another half dozen options and all of them are viable to do different bad things to an enemy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DeathChicken posted:

It helps that in a gameplay sense Tifa felt like the most fun to play. Cloud is sort of barebones melee (although you can do interesting things with his counter attacks), Barret is barebones range, Aerith is also range but trading speed for strength. And then Tifa has her own branch of melee where she has a half dozen options to go into another half dozen options and all of them are viable to do different bad things to an enemy

When focusing on one enemy I prefer Tifa but with multiple enemies I like Cloud. The way that the constant decisions regarding your stance mix with your various methods of movement or closing the distance and the decision of when to block or not mean that I'm always striving to be this whirling blade of death across the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WaltherFeng posted:

A trick I liked to do was, when I was close to wrapping up trash mob fights, I'd have my Pray character build up two bars, and then input it as a command just before I finished off the last enemy. The prayer will still go off even if the battle ends before they finish. Using this tactic, I got to the point where I barely used any MP at all before the bosses. It definitely helps when you get at least your second Pray materia, though.

Honestly all throughout Hard Mode I still barely used Chakra. The healing amount is so small I just never found it very useful, so my healing was essentially just pray with the rare occasional cure spell.

If you do end up using cure, try to use it BEFORE busting up boxes. It's frustrating to get an MP shard that restores more MP than you were missing, only to realize you weren't topped-off HP-wise.

kaworu posted:

Like, one really awesome thing I found out about Cloud that has totally changed the way I approach every single battle, is the fact that you *do not* have to be in Punisher mode to parry/counterattack! I thought that was the one and only way to counterattack with Cloud, but I learned randomly on the internet that if you just tap the Guard/Block button while in Operator Mode just as an enemy is performing a melee attack on you, you WILL parry their blow, counterattack, and switch into Punisher Mode. I had no idea.

Wait, are you sure? I know that if you hit the button to SWITCH to Punisher just as an attack lands, it'll counter even if you weren't blocking, so you can use it as a form of "perfect parry". However, I've never heard of countering while still in Operator mode.

kaworu posted:

I also noticed this is the one place in Midgar where you hear chirping birds, and see the insects in the sunbeams. It's stunning. No insects or birds or green grass and flowes and trees in most of Midgar.

Actually I think you can see clouds of flies or gnats in the Sector 7 slums, but they tend to be close to the ground and small specs, so I guess they could just be dust particles whirling about. Either way, yeah, game looks drat good.