Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Franchescanado posted:

I'm glad you liked it! I think I've rewatched it more than any other movie in the past few years. Such a treat. Sucks that it has a bare bones release because I would love a peak behind the curtain on that production and a commentary.

Apparently the divisive response to Spring Breakers taught me nothing because I went to the premiere of Beach Bum and walked out thinking it was going to be a huge hit. I think it's the greatest stoner comedy of all time and it turns out that Harmony Korine still strikes folks the same way he always has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Apparently the divisive response to Spring Breakers taught me nothing because I went to the premiere of Beach Bum and walked out thinking it was going to be a huge hit. I think it's the greatest stoner comedy of all time and it turns out that Harmony Korine still strikes folks the same way he always has.

I thought it'd be a runaway hit, but it was barely distributed (NEON kinda poo poo the bed on this, and I heard through the grapevine they shifted it's release dates for a lot of indie theaters, so no one knew when they could see it) , and it doesn't get advertised on Hulu. People just don't want to try a hyper-vulgar picaresque stoner tale of hedonism for some reason, unless it has Seth Rogen in it, I guess.

Anyway, I will continue to champion how great it is, with the huge caveat that it really isn't for everyone, but if it hits your tastes, it hits hard.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

cvnvcnv posted:

HBO Max
HBO + Max
HBO owns Cinemax
HBO Max does not include Cinemax

I don't get it. Glad they'll have some good stuff on the service, though.

AT&T sees Cinemax as little more as a clearing house for old mediocre WB/MGM movies, about as valuable as HBO Zone

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a shame about Cinemax. It's had some of the best action television in the last 20 years of tv. Strike Back, Quarry, Banshee, Warrior, Jett and The Knick being a great drama. Just great television top to bottom that people should be watching and should've been a lot bigger than they ended up being (Quarry being cancelled after one season is a true crime against television and Warrior only getting two seasons, also a crime).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Warrior’s second season will be its last? My TV app says it isn’t even airing until October.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Escobarbarian posted:

Warrior’s second season will be its last? My TV app says it isn’t even airing until October.

yea it was in production as HBO was making the announcement that Cinemax would be moving away from original programming.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i will say this, i wouldn't be overly shocked if stuff like Warrior ends up taking a brief hiatus and then showing up on HBO MAX. Cinemax may be moving away from original programming, but it's not like HBO's rights to these shows only allowed them to be aired on Cinemax, and I suspect a lot of why they're doing that to begin with at Cinemax is because HBO MAX is gonna exist.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yeah, Cinemax has a lot of really terrific content under its banner but it's gotten so little love from above that not even the Android app has casting capabilities and no Fire or PS4 apps exist so unless I torrent everything or buy Cinemax again through Hulu or Amazon, I have no way to get it on my tv. Really was thinking HBO Max would remedy this because why wouldn't they just throw it in and live fully in the year 2020? But uhhh

Savage.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Franchescanado posted:

I thought it'd be a runaway hit, but it was barely distributed (NEON kinda poo poo the bed on this, and I heard through the grapevine they shifted it's release dates for a lot of indie theaters, so no one knew when they could see it) , and it doesn't get advertised on Hulu. People just don't want to try a hyper-vulgar picaresque stoner tale of hedonism for some reason, unless it has Seth Rogen in it, I guess.

Anyway, I will continue to champion how great it is, with the huge caveat that it really isn't for everyone, but if it hits your tastes, it hits hard.

Here's a different take from someone who's watched all of Korine's stuff and pretty much liked it all; I walked out of The Beach Bum depressed af. Korine is so incredibly smart and sly, and what he slipped to people here is something masquerading aggressively as stoner comedy, but in actuality is brutal political satire. The people depicted in that film are the ones that currently run the world. Korine knows this, and time and again he presents the viewer with scenarios of them getting everything while doing nothing of value, making GBS threads on the poor, burning the world in their wake and getting an honorary degree for it.

The Beach Bum is a beautifully shot, wild, and sadistic examination of the psychotic neoliberal market order, where the Branson-esque gangsters of the world feign to empathise with us and are slick enough to have extensive environmental PR campaigns and carbon neutral investment portfolios, yet every breath they take on this earth is a further defilement in our name and on behalf of our species. So I guess what I'm saying is that The Beach Bum was brutally unfunny to me and I would never watch it again. I expect that I'm alone on this because every testimonial I read on it (positive or negative) only ever mentioned how lighthearted, carefree, and quirky it was, lacking in substance and message...and to me the message was a dire prognosis.

edit; so I guess I'd say the film is successful

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 27, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Here's a different take from someone who's watched all of Korine's stuff and pretty much liked it all; I walked out of The Beach Bum depressed af. Korine is so incredibly smart and sly, and what he slipped to people here is something masquerading aggressively as stoner comedy, but in actuality is brutal political satire. The people depicted in that film are the ones that currently run the world. Korine knows this, and time and again he presents the viewer with scenarios of them getting everything while doing nothing of value, making GBS threads on the poor, burning the world in their wake and getting an honorary degree for it.

The Beach Bum is a beautifully shot, wild, and sadistic examination of the psychotic neoliberal market order, where the Branson-esque gangsters of the world feign to empathise with us and are slick enough to have extensive environmental PR campaigns and carbon neutral investment portfolios, yet every breath they take on this earth is a further defilement in our name and on behalf of our species. So I guess what I'm saying is that The Beach Bum was brutally unfunny to me and I would never watch it again. I expect that I'm alone on this because every testimonial I read on it (positive or negative) only ever mentioned how lighthearted, carefree, and quirky it was, lacking in substance and message...and to me the message was a dire prognosis.

edit; so I guess I'd say the film is successful

I completely agree on all these points, and I've mentioned it as such in a few of my write-ups. It's biting satire of hedonism and how money perpetuates the most abhorrent lifestyles and debauchery is what makes it so great, because it makes Moon Dog's actions so appealing on the surface, but really it's why the world is hosed up. And he is a completely miserable person throughout the film. He is creatively bankrupt, he is nostalgic for an era 40 years gone (especially evident in the soundtrack), he is selfish in his romances and ruins the happiness of the people around him, he is destructive to the lives of everyone, he is a disappointment to fans who believe in him, and his money and power fuel the money and power of people even worse than him, and he is greatly rewarded for all of it.

But it's also incredibly funny.

I don't think it's mutually exclusive in anything it does. In fact, it's so masterful of this, because it handles emotional weight so effortlessly. It goes from funny comedy to sad heartbroken romance to self destructive drama to loneliness to melancholic loss to comedy again in a single scene. The wedding, Moon Dog seeing his wife and Lingerie's affair, Moon Dog realizing his daughter is moving on to a guy he hates, Moon Dog going to the bar to drink away his woes, Moon Dog's wife singing to him, the car accident, Minnie's death, Moon Dog being kicked out of the house; all in the span of 6ish minutes? Incredible.

It's absolutely a satirical dark comedy, but it's still a comedy. Korine's just put the acid deeper under the surface of a stoner comedy rather than on the surface like Spring Breakers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I completely agree on all these points, and I've mentioned it as such in a few of my write-ups. It's biting satire of hedonism and how money perpetuates the most abhorrent lifestyles and debauchery is what makes it so great, because it makes Moon Dog's actions so appealing on the surface, but really it's why the world is hosed up. And he is a completely miserable person throughout the film. He is creatively bankrupt, he is nostalgic for an era 40 years gone (especially evident in the soundtrack), he is selfish in his romances and ruins the happiness of the people around him, he is destructive to the lives of everyone, he is a disappointment to fans who believe in him, and his money and power fuel the money and power of people even worse than him, and he is greatly rewarded for all of it.

But it's also incredibly funny.

I don't think it's mutually exclusive in anything it does. In fact, it's so masterful of this, because it handles emotional weight so effortlessly. It goes from funny comedy to sad heartbroken romance to self destructive drama to loneliness to melancholic loss to comedy again in a single scene. The wedding, Moon Dog seeing his wife and Lingerie's affair, Moon Dog realizing his daughter is moving on to a guy he hates, Moon Dog going to the bar to drink away his woes, Moon Dog's wife singing to him, the car accident, Minnie's death, Moon Dog being kicked out of the house; all in the span of 6ish minutes? Incredible.

It's absolutely a satirical dark comedy, but it's still a comedy. Korine's just put the acid deeper under the surface of a stoner comedy rather than on the surface like Spring Breakers.

Yeah, great post. I guess I didn't watch it in a happy context either. At the time I felt surrounded by people irl and online who saw it as another innocent summer flick and nobody at the time seemed to acknowledge the poo poo that the film was actually saying. Sorry to be a bummer, but it's nice to know I'm not crazy.

edit;

Like not since Starship Troopers has a film been this misread by all the standard dipshits

quote:

The Beach Bum somehow manages to be an upbeat, triumphant tale of creativity and free-spiritedness.

quote:

The Beach Bum is barely a movie; it’s more of a joyous squiggle adorned with a paper cocktail umbrella, a “What did I just see?” dollar-store trinket. But in these dark times, it’s just the ticket.
:psyduck:

quote:

[McConaughey]’s so entertaining, in fact, that it takes nearly the entirety of “The Beach Bum” to fully absorb how little else there is to the film once the initial high of basking in Moondog’s perma-stoned glory wears off.

quote:

However, considering who was at the helm, it is not focused enough and winds up with nothing to say.

quote:

In short, the pursuit of pleasure is not confined to our hero alone but extended to all comers, with a horny democratic good will, and it’s typical of Korine to suggest that, in an era as acrimonious as ours, the true provocation is to harbor no grudges, to forgive us our trespasses, and to drift along, catching the tide of contentment.
:suicide:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 27, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, great post. I guess I didn't watch it in a happy context either. At the time I felt surrounded by people irl and online who saw it as another innocent summer flick and nobody at the time seemed to acknowledge the poo poo that the film was actually saying. Sorry to be a bummer, but it's nice to know I'm not crazy.

Like I said in an earlier post, I totally know it's not for everybody. But like Starship Troopers and Dr. Strangelove, it's message is bleak and nihilistic, but that's hidden under the veneer of an excellent example of it's genre, in TBB's case a stoner comedy. Doubly ironic, since Moon Dog's perpetual high is a very shallow mask of indulgence.

It works on a lot of levels (there's also a pretty strong theme about writer's block that feels genuine to Harmony's own struggles with the writer/filmmaker he used to be vs the writer/filmmaker he is now) and it's why I loved it so much.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Seconding that I didn't find it funny at all, just incredibly depressing. Glad I watched it though.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Crosspostin' from the Physical Media thread for Australian Criterion owners:

Hedrigall posted:

Attention Australian collectors, zavvi.com.au has 2 for $45 on Criterion collection blurays

Shipping was $8 to Brisbane, and these are all the UK editions so they're region B.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1272905953202114561?s=19

September releases

Beau Travail
The Elephant Man
Christ Stopped at Eboli
Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project 3 with Lucia, After the Curfew, Pixote, Dos Monjes, Soleil O, and Downpour
Naked City (Blu upgrade)
Brute Force (Blu upgrade)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty excited for World Cinema Project Vol. 3. The first two sets were a lot of fun to go through.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Of all the movies to end with a dance sequence set to 90s techno, I was not expecting it from Beau Travail.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
just finished the beach bum. chiming in to say that i too found it dark and nihilistic.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I come again, hat in hand, and request people to look over the movies leaving on june 30th then tell me what they think I should make sure to watch. I only know a few of these, so don't be afraid to shout out anything, even if it seems obvious.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Chakan posted:

I come again, hat in hand, and request people to look over the movies leaving on june 30th then tell me what they think I should make sure to watch. I only know a few of these, so don't be afraid to shout out anything, even if it seems obvious.

Looks like most of the Buñuel is bouncing so I'd rock something like The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chakan posted:

Well these do seem obvious, but they jumped out at me right away:

Mulholland Drive
In A Lonely Place
Nights of Cambria
God Told Me To
Dark Star
Raging Bull

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Well these do seem obvious, but they jumped out at me right away:

Mulholland Drive
In A Lonely Place
Nights of Cambria
God Told Me To
Dark Star
Raging Bull

God Told Me To rules, such a weird movie. Dark Star does not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chakan posted:

Mulholland Drive and Raging Bull are the super obvious picks but Nights of Cabiria and In a Lonely Place are fantastic picks too.

I would not recommend watching Blind Alley and The Dark Past since they're not particularly good movies but it's an interesting experiment to go through if you wanna see a movie get remade in a near identical way 9 years after it came out. They even use the exact same effects for a flashback sequence!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chakan posted:

I love Baxter, although if you don't like depictions if dog violence you should steer clear. The Preminger movies, Anatomy of a Murder and Bunny Lake is Missing, are more established classics

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely watch Nights of Cabiria. Great film. I’m due for a rewatch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chakan posted:

Raging Bull, The Pride of the Yankees, God Told Me To, Death in the Garden, Anatomy of a Murder, The Harder They Fall (underrated Bogart), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Mulholland Drive, The Limey (underrated Soderbergh), Sergeant York.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

God Told Me To rules, such a weird movie. Dark Star does not.

Dark Star might be more "important" than actually good but I think it needs to be seen at least once.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chakan posted:

Apart from what’s been mentioned, Phase IV and the big heat

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dark Star is fun and quite goofy (deliberately so) though it's very rough around the edges. It's Carpenter finding his bearings as a filmmaker so don't expect anything close to as polished as his more famous work.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dark Star is bizarre and hilarious. Phase IV is trippy. The More the Merrier is a classic screwball comedy. Wadjda is cool and good.

And to echo everyone else - Mulholland Dr, Nights of Cabiria, Raging Bull, and Mr Smith Goes to Washington are all essential viewing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mulholland Drive is def one of the best films of the last 20 years.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Absolutely make it a point to see Mulholland Drive before it goes away if you haven’t already.

Isn’t June supposed to be the Barnes and Nobel sale month? I’m sure things are tight due to COVID and the general mismanagement of the company by higher ups, but am I mistaken or is that not happening this summer?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Absolutely make it a point to see Mulholland Drive before it goes away if you haven’t already.

Isn’t June supposed to be the Barnes and Nobel sale month? I’m sure things are tight due to COVID and the general mismanagement of the company by higher ups, but am I mistaken or is that not happening this summer?

It's normally July, but who knows now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I watched Mulholland Dr back when it came to the channel in December I think. Otherwise it would be a perfect one for me. Apart from that, I’ll do as many movies from what was recommended as I can, thanks everyone for the suggestions! Whoever noted Oslo, August 31st the last time I did this: thank you, it’s a very good movie.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

It's normally July, but who knows now.

Pretty sure last year started in late June because my membership expires in a couple of weeks and I signed up while checking out with the Cassavetes box set and like 4 others. I then went back like twice a week until the sale ended.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My breakdown...

Masterpiece:
The Lineup
Mulholland Dr.
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Burglar
Nights of Cabiria

Very Good:
Le quattro volte
The Limey
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
In a Lonely Place
Dead Reckoning
My Name Is Julia Ross
Tristana
The Sniper
The Talk of the Town
The More the Merrier
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
The Big Heat
The Harder They Fall
L'age d'or
Human Desire
Raging Bull

Good:
Pushover
The Devil and Miss Jones
Nightfall
5 Against the House
You Can't Take It With You
The Brothers Rico
Johnny O'Clock
The Mob
Atlantic City
Two Friends
Drive a Crooked Road
Diary of a Chambermaid
Anatomy of a Murder
Captains Courageous
Dark Star

Fair:
Whirpool
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Foxy Brown
Ball of Fire
Tight Spot
Death in the Garden
God Told Me To
Affair in Trinidad
Shockproof

Bad:
The Milky Way
The Dark Past
So Dark the Night
The Fountainhead

Whew. When I started typing this, I didn't realize there'd be so many. You're welcome.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Death Race 2000 is great, watch that one before it leaves

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Fountainhead is bad but it's fascinatingly bad. It's got amazing art design and direction by King Vidor, but it's working from a script written by Ayn Rand herself who secured a tight contract that allowed her final approval for even the slightest change of phrasing in the dialogue. Vidor would even hold it over the actors' heads to get them to just get on with scenes: When Gary Cooper would complain about how awful the dialogue is and suggest changes, Vidor would threaten that they need to call Rand and get her to drive down to the studio lot personally to discuss and the prospect of dealing with her was enough to get them to just read the lines as written. If, like me, you're fascinated by ideologically insane storytelling, then it's worth a look.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FancyMike posted:

Death Race 2000 is great, watch that one before it leaves

It rules but it's also pretty much always on tubi/pluto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was not expecting God Told Me To to end with a psychic alien Jesus UFO cult :eyepop: