Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lawnie posted:

Has anyone else with the Husky adjustable desk affixed anything custom to the bottom of the tabletop? I want to make a rack to hang my tower from, but I’m not sure how to go about it exactly.

I'm not sure what kind of tools you have access to, or what kind of case you have, but if I were to decide I wanted to go hard on affixing my computer underneath my desk, I would probably consider:
* drilling 2-4 holes in the top of the case (with no components inside, obv)
* long bolts, bolt head inside case (upside down)
* very large, wide surface-area washers inside the case against the bolthead
* lockwasher outside the case
* nut outside the case (to keep the bolt affixed to the case, for installing)
* drill a hole pattern through the desk
* large fender washer above the desktop
* lockwasher above the fender washer
* nut

Could get away with locknuts instead of lockwashers.

The downside to this approach is that you will have those nuts/bolts sticking above the desk a little. You may hate that aesthetic, or need the entire desktop smooth for other reasons. Also not all cases would work for this; obviously anything with a top fan would be right out.

While I'm sure it would be safe to find some sort of cage/rack and just screw it to the underside of the desk, I like doing dumb things I guess :v:

Edit: Oh, you said you'd want to make a rack. Hmm, I'm not sure how I would go about making one per se - I feel like everything I ever make out of wood looks janky, so I'd probably go industrial and look at either making it out of pipe/fittings, or threaded rod and flatstock.

I wonder if there are pre-made cages you could buy and just affix to the bottom of the desk.

I'd think no matter what it was, I'd want it to be very open for airflow reasons.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure what kind of tools you have access to, or what kind of case you have, but if I were to decide I wanted to go hard on affixing my computer underneath my desk, I would probably consider:
* drilling 2-4 holes in the top of the case (with no components inside, obv)
* long bolts, bolt head inside case (upside down)
* very large, wide surface-area washers inside the case against the bolthead
* lockwasher outside the case
* nut outside the case (to keep the bolt affixed to the case, for installing)
* drill a hole pattern through the desk
* large fender washer above the desktop
* lockwasher above the fender washer
* nut

Could get away with locknuts instead of lockwashers.

The downside to this approach is that you will have those nuts/bolts sticking above the desk a little. You may hate that aesthetic, or need the entire desktop smooth for other reasons. Also not all cases would work for this; obviously anything with a top fan would be right out.

While I'm sure it would be safe to find some sort of cage/rack and just screw it to the underside of the desk, I like doing dumb things I guess :v:

It’s not a bad idea for a more permanent installation, but I’m looking more toward grabbing some angle iron and screwing it into the bottom to make few L-shaped brackets to set it on.

E: to add, have access to a battery powered drill and assorted bits, plenty of other basic tools as well. I can cut bar stock at work if I need to.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lawnie posted:

It’s not a bad idea for a more permanent installation, but I’m looking more toward grabbing some angle iron and screwing it into the bottom to make few L-shaped brackets to set it on.

E: to add, have access to a battery powered drill and assorted bits, plenty of other basic tools as well. I can cut bar stock at work if I need to.

They have nut inserts for wood. Might help in this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wifYMPWB1IE

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The problem with the screws-only approach is that your case becomes the weakest load bearing point still so if you have a flimsy aluminum full tower case you're hoping to hold up possibly 40+ lbs worth of equipment strapped to the top panel's strength to withstand deforming. You'd want to have a reinforcing bar or rigid plate on the inside of the case that can bear the sustained weight indefinitely beyond the washers and nuts. I'd advocate for something like this guy

Also, here's my adjustable desk. Takes way too much effort to conceal cables I tell ya, and with a table this long and with this much weight on it I'm not about to test the motor load capacity.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That under desk holder is cool.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Anyone have reccs for non-ikea butcher blocks/counters /etc to use as a desk top (costs an extra $200 for Ikea to ship to where I am)? Ideally at a similar price point or less, ie ~150/160 for a 62"-68" top. All y'alls standing desks have convinced me to finally buy a frame (and some back pain...).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

foutre posted:

Anyone have reccs for non-ikea butcher blocks/counters /etc to use as a desk top (costs an extra $200 for Ikea to ship to where I am)? Ideally at a similar price point or less, ie ~150/160 for a 62"-68" top. All y'alls standing desks have convinced me to finally buy a frame (and some back pain...).

just find yourself a lumber store/supplier I guess? Maybe a kitchen/cabinetry supply?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

just find yourself a lumber store/supplier I guess? Maybe a kitchen/cabinetry supply?

Yeah, there might even be a special fancy countertop store near you. But I just got this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Solid-Wood-Top-for-6-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G7200AS-US/206497844

Home Depot sucks, so hopefully you can find something else, but that's an option.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Still happy with my Husky adjustable workbench.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, there might even be a special fancy countertop store near you. But I just got this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Solid-Wood-Top-for-6-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G7200AS-US/206497844

Home Depot sucks, so hopefully you can find something else, but that's an option.

3000 pound holding capacity on that workbench.:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:.....I think I found my new ideal fishtank base.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

The problem with the screws-only approach is that your case becomes the weakest load bearing point still so if you have a flimsy aluminum full tower case you're hoping to hold up possibly 40+ lbs worth of equipment strapped to the top panel's strength to withstand deforming. You'd want to have a reinforcing bar or rigid plate on the inside of the case that can bear the sustained weight indefinitely beyond the washers and nuts. I'd advocate for something like this guy

Also, here's my adjustable desk. Takes way too much effort to conceal cables I tell ya, and with a table this long and with this much weight on it I'm not about to test the motor load capacity.

Ah yeah that’s the load bearing configuration I was going to do myself, but $50 is hard to beat for the VEVO thing. I have their monitor arm and it’s really good quality for what I paid.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

foutre posted:

The table top in my photo is this one and together with the $230 for the desk frame it was a lot cheaper than the 72" adjustable desks I saw online. I prefer this top over ones I've seen from Ikea because it's solid wood(-ish) instead of particle board with some laminate veneer over it nor a really heavy block that cost substantially more. Also, this is Covid era and I had a hell of a time buying anything from Ikea these past months because I bought 5 items and I received 3 of them and wound up having to wait another 4 weeks in the end to order the 2 I should have gotten.

The other option I was considering was going to be like $350+ for a live edge slab that would have taken like 5 coats of varnish and oil and frankly I don't want to go through that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

foutre posted:

Home depot and Lowe's both sell finished tops for workbenches around that price.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Cool, thanks for all the links/advice. I'll check some local lumberyards first, and if that doesn't work check out some of the links y'all sent. Excited to have a standing desk!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
New curved displays and mount + recently purchased peripherals.

I had to upgrade since "going out" is no longer a thing.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have the vivo under desk thing.

Get it.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Another thumbs up for the Husky adjustable height worktable, this is the 72 inch version. Just waiting on some straps to tuck that bundle of cables behind the right leg. A+ would buy again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

llibja posted:

Another thumbs up for the Husky adjustable height worktable, this is the 72 inch version. Just waiting on some straps to tuck that bundle of cables behind the right leg. A+ would buy again.

Ugh, I've been watching Home Depot's site to try to get the 46" version in white, but so far it's never been in stock since it was mentioned here. Also, I didn't know that Husky was Home Depot's store brand until like yesterday when I was trying to find it being sold elsewhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I will never trust a person who engages in "cable management" at home.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You have no option when you have cats. Either that or you don’t mind them electrocuting themselves

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

necrobobsledder posted:

You have no option when you have cats. Either that or you don’t mind them electrocuting themselves

Same with kids.

I've got 2 cable cages under my desk that house my power strips because my kid kept crawling under the desk attempting to unplug stuff

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

llibja posted:

drat! I thought this was going to be the smart alternative for me but it only goes up to 42". That seems too low for most, right? The uplift desk goes up to 50" (at 3x the cost).

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did you accidentally find your way into this thread or did you seek it out?

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 28, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

drat! I thought this was going to be the smart alternative for me but it only goes up to 42". That seems too low for most, right? The uplift desk goes up to 50" (at 3x the cost).

Did you accidentally find your way into this thread or did you seek it out?

42" would be too low for many people I think.

I'm only 5'10" and the perfect standing desk height for me is 43". I have the Uplift Commercial C frame.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I switched from a Razer membrane keyboard to a mechanical today with Cherry MX Brown switches, which I realize are not even the lightest ones, and the difference is incredible. Typing is actually fun now and not a chore like it was before.

I got the Durgod Taurus for $100 and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

reL
May 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Helluva take. I mean, what if I just want my desk or TV area to not look like crap?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

somebody clearly hasn’t been introduced to the phrase “living like poo poo”

(while we’re all engaged in reminiscing about the good times in the forums, ‘lest they blow away)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The mass of cords about my e-station make me feel vary Lain-level cyberpunk, where the general distress about the rest of my apartment is reflective of the shrine-like nature of the items of central importance.

Of course, this is because my apartment is a total gooncave and I'm always worried about the chairs destroying some cords. Still, with the VR setup it feels pretty cool for the brief time you're not thinking about the setup in a macro sense.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
edit: today i learned the difference between [img][/img] and [timg][/timg]

my friends in the synthesizer thead suggested I post here
I upgraded today by putting my back against the wall.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 7, 2020

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

i'm the piss jug under the bed

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Neslepaks posted:

i'm the piss jug under the bed

hah! it's a water jug. I dont piss in jugs!11! I drink out of that thing :devil:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

excellent bird guy posted:

edit: today i learned the difference between [timg][/timg] and [timg][/timg]

Oh God you weren't supposed to post here, you were supposed to look for ideas or help. You'll be lucky to get out with your life.

Just kidding. The generic answer is a butcher-block top of a length and width that works and some homebrew base. Outside of that, you're gonna have to get specific about what your wants and needs are, like where you need to fit it, if you need tiers, etc.

Also nice piss jug.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
hah yes, I'm just going to lurk the thread for ideas. Whatever it may be, everything has to pack into the back of my pickup truck every few months. At my real house I have a huge heavy oak desk from the early 20th century.
For now, I might have to practice my body ergonomics, crossing my legs for so long I can tell it's bad for my knees.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hah yes, I'm just going to lurk the thread for ideas. Whatever it may be, everything has to pack into the back of my pickup truck every few months. At my real house I have a huge heavy oak desk from the early 20th century.
For now, I might have to practice my body ergonomics, crossing my legs for so long I can tell it's bad for my knees.

If you’re moving around a lot and don’t really care about the looks I’d go grab a big collapsing/picnic table from Costco.

To step it a bit up from that aesthetically maybe go with a really cheap setup from the IKEA desk bar, but it won’t be nearly as rugged as one of those injection molded tabletops.

If you’re moving that often pretty much any “real furniture” you use is gonna look like poo poo after a year or two.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Chinatown posted:

New curved displays and mount + recently purchased peripherals.

I had to upgrade since "going out" is no longer a thing.

Looks great. What lighting is this?

edit: today i learned the difference between [timg][/timg] and [timg][/timg]

What are you running on the Thinkpad? Looks like an old school console... OpenBSD?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Finally got it how I want it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VectorSigma posted:

Finally got it how I want it.

What speakers are those?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

muskrat posted:

Looks great. What lighting is this?

I'm not the OP, but probably something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Nex...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I ended up putting some under one of my desks, so it isn't so drat dark in here at night, and it's been pretty nice. Tempted to get some pure-white ones and put them in the kitchen, under the overhead cabinets for better countertop lighting.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

rickiep00h posted:

What speakers are those?

Logitech G560.

The screen sampler was bugged and hitched badly for me until a fix came just last month. Here are the lights in action:

https://i.imgur.com/yIuz4xW.mp4

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

VectorSigma posted:

Logitech G560.

The screen sampler was bugged and hitched badly for me until a fix came just last month. Here are the lights in action:

I would find that too distracting but it's still pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VectorSigma posted:

Logitech G560.

Gosh I keep meaning to get a set of these!

Which kit is that?