Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Int is supposed to be like "book learning" but yeah, changing that might be an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

It's not even supposed to be a measure of how "smart" you are, that's rolled into the wisdom stat. It's just for wizards to keep track of how well they memorize spells

In 5E Intelligence affects History, Investigation, Nature and Religion, ie. things based on knowledge and research. Wisdom is Animal Handling, Insight, Medicine, Perception & Survival, which is a weird mix of knowledge, observation, interpersonal skills and woodcraft.

D&D stats are just dumb and make no sense and would be among the first things I'd change (or throw out) if I were redesigning the game.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

OwlFancier posted:

Replace the entire stat block with Gumption Moxie Spunk Razzamataz Chutzpah and Enthusiasm.

help I rolled 6 negative numbers in a row

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

Replace the entire stat block with Gumption Moxie Spunk Razzamataz Chutzpah and Enthusiasm.

As always, Kingdom of Loathing did it right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1273657837210779649

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

what the gently caress

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

StillFullyTerrible posted:

you had me until here

Jesus, I meant something like "x went to wizard school and got good at magic." Not some horseshit like "he's not as dumb a your average ork!".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For those of us who have forgotten Matt Gaetz, he:

* Has a DUI and 16 speeding tickets in 15 years

* Used r/The_Donald posts to draft amendments

* Was investigated for witness intimidation against Michael Cohen

* Stormed the SCIF on Capitol Hill to protest Republicans not being allowed into impeachment hearings, despite Republicans already being present in the hearing he raised

* Sarcastically wore a gas mask to protest having to sign off on funds to handle the COVID-19 pandemic, then freaked out when he realized he had been exposed

* Said antifa needs to be "hunted down like terrorists"

He's well known as one of the wettest frat boys-turned-politicians in America. If he got trashed and fell off a bridge into the lake, it would make every part of the country better except for the lake.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

d3lness posted:

Jesus, I meant something like "x went to wizard school and got good at magic." Not some horseshit like "he's not as dumb a your average ork!".

oh I wasn't implying anything like that, i'm just one of those dumb nerds who loves stupid overcomplicated crunch :shobon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

For those of us who have forgotten Matt Gaetz, he:

* Has a DUI and 16 speeding tickets in 15 years

Does the US not have, like, license points or whatever?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OwlFancier posted:

Not for rich white dudes, no.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of counties rely on speeding tickets for revenue, so they don't come with points unless you do something egregious.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

So.... Toon?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ALLIANCELGB/status/1273654295653646343

Mask slipping.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also I don't know about his part of Florida, but you have to try *real* hard down here in SFL to get a speeding ticket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving lol at the terf brigade coming out to defend marrriage inequality.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If yall wanna see grognards there are several subforums here full of them, like trad games or the blizzard subforum.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GreenMetalSun posted:

In my experience, people who want to be as outlandish as possible with their race/class combinations are doing it in lieu of having a personality.

There's this weird disconnect in D&D too, where a number of the other 'races', tieflings, genasi, aasimar, gith (depending on if you use the lore that they were humans altered by illithid genetic tampering), are literally humans. I've personally witnessed a woman in her late thirties throw a sobbing, screaming, literally shaking temper tantrum in the middle of a game because I was like, 'Yeah, tieflings are just another phenotype of humans who happen to have horns and water genasi are just another type of humans who happen to have gills. No one on the world would even think to suggest that they weren't human'.
Yeah, I think it should be easier to tweak so the starting template isn't human but like, halfling or whatever, but the entire cluster is just human with weird outsider magic tweaks. It allows you to get some cool flavor and customization but was she trying to insist they weren't in any way human and wouldn't be seen as human?*

*Then again, given how good people in real life are at making outgroups, it's not absurd there could be that friction, it would just be objectively incorrect, like bigotry always is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Biplane posted:

If yall wanna see grognards there are several subforums here full of them, like trad games or the blizzard subforum.
Trad games here has extremely few RPG grognards.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

loving lol at the terf brigade coming out to defend marrriage inequality.

That's their secret: they're actually just homophobes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

dwarf74 posted:

Trad games here has extremely few RPG grognards.

Uh yeah in my experience the tradgame forum here on SA is one of the few online TTRPG places where you can safely be non-binary, non-white or whatever and not have someone screaming about what stat maluses you'd have in D&D, and where people genuinely enjoy many non-traditional takes on RPG's. It's a breath of fresh air.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Anyway it's cool to be able to homebrew what you want but orcs and kobolds having the only species stat penalty is dumb and it's good that's being scrubbed, I hope they scrub the racist flavoring from the orc text too.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

level 1 male human fighter spotted

I also ban all 'short' races (halflings, goblins, kobolds, kender, kenku, etc.), because if I had a dollar for every time a dude wrote me a six page rape fantasy that went on and on about how 'She looks like a toddler, but actually she's 35!', I'd have seven dollars. I also don't allow tieflings since CR came out, because same thing, only the rape fantasy is about the 9-year-old blue tiefling girl in that one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The trad games forum here is one of the few trad games spaces where people call out Mike Mearls for being the piece of poo poo that he is. I guess it helps when fellow forums posters have been victimized by known pants making GBS threads rapist Zak S, who Mearls provided personal information to.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OwlFancier posted:

Cold, hosed Up, Mean, and Relentless

GreenMetalSun posted:

I've personally witnessed a woman in her late thirties throw a sobbing, screaming, literally shaking temper tantrum in the middle of a game because

This sounds amazing. Did you post it to grognards.txt and/or the catpiss thread?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

GreenMetalSun posted:

I also ban all 'short' races (halflings, goblins, kobolds, kender, kenku, etc.), because if I had a dollar for every time a dude wrote me a six page rape fantasy that went on and on about how 'She looks like a toddler, but actually she's 35!', I'd have seven dollars. I also don't allow tieflings since CR came out, because same thing, only the rape fantasy is about the 9-year-old blue tiefling girl in that one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't think your "dude"s are representative. :stare:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GreenMetalSun posted:

From the sounds of it, and keep in mind we know very little right now:

1) They're removing racial ability score penalties entirely. No more, 'welp, orcs are just genetically stupid!'
2) You will now (when the book comes out) be able to have your culture/background influence your ability scores, instead of your race. Like, 'your character was a gladiator, +1 strong', or 'your character studied at the wizard school, +1 think'.

They already did the first one in 4th edition. Did they bring that back for the fifth?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GreenMetalSun posted:

I mean, your perogative, but Jester is super clearly an adult and the shorter races should be too, so if you're getting pedoshit you should ban the pedos.

Also, uh, one person's tiefling oc being a short blue prankster shouldn't retroactively taint the entire race even if you really dislike the character?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

They already did the first one in 4th edition. Did they bring that back for the fifth?

The player races included in the PHB didn't have penalties, but they felt compelled to add penalties for orcs and other monstrous races.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm all for DnD becoming more inclusive and I cringe every time someone posts a story about how terrible the players they have encountered can be. I've played for years on and off and thank goodness I've never encountered the weirdos who write sexual assault/rape poo poo.

Just had a secret nazi DM once :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreenMetalSun posted:

uh, I think the problem is something other than hobbits and tieflings here

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

PetraCore posted:

I mean, your perogative, but Jester is super clearly an adult and the shorter races should be too, so if you're getting pedoshit you should ban the pedos.

Also, uh, one person's tiefling oc being a short blue prankster shouldn't retroactively taint the entire race even if you really dislike the character?

GreenMetalSun has the racial trait "Only Games With Creeps" obviously

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Actually, correction, I feel like I heard the kender are explicitly perpetual children but anyone using that to introduce sex needs to be kicked into the sun. Don't they reproduce by telling stories until fictional kender spontaniously become real or something?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Banning Kender is the only reasonable thing in that post, but that's simply because Kender are loving terrible and should always be banned

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

people made out of pure metaphysical mind stuff with, like, four arms and three lives and light-based metabolism or whatever*: realistic
they're not a hivemind: unrealistic

*I couldn't be bothered to look up actual weird dnd races

There's this weird dichotomy in Tolkien where elves are spiritual beings of light in temporary humanoid form, but there's also half-elves and elf/human couples and other proof that elfs gently caress, because Tolkien was thinking more in the spirit of lineages and ancestries rather than actual theory behind elf dicks and vaginas, the logistics of which require some very specific biological mechanics that have an undeniable impact on societal and interpersonal relationships.1 While he could not have foreseen the internet, he was well aware of networked communities of speculative and horny fantasy nerds.

He should have said "Alas, elves can't gently caress, because magic. Alas." and left it at that.

Splicer posted:

Warhammer orkz are definitely peak ork. e: started pulling in non social media WotC diversity idiocy

See, orkz don't gently caress. They grow from spores like fungus or something, an assexual and extremely unhorny method of reproduction so an attempt to sexualize them is automatically non-canon and un-orky. At least I think so. I never read or played WH40K but on the internet you pick up a hell of a lot of WH40K lore by osmosis. And I believe they do something similar with many human factions by chemically castrating them2 and cloning them in creches, so their focus (and by extension the focus of their players and authors) should be fixated upon martial duty and not marital duty.

1. Great, Elise the (2016, August 23) re: Ask Me about Making Horrific Silicone Fantasy Dildos! [NWS], The Something Awful Forums
  2. Parsons, Zack (2008, April 28) Blue Stripe 40,000 Interview Special, Something Awful Dot Com

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jun 18, 2020

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I don't know anything about the character expect that pedos swarm to her. My introduction to CR was someone telling me I 'just had to' watch this video of someone RPing as Jester and it was a girl screaming for someone to stop anally raping her, but in a baby voice. Multiple people have gushed about how good and emotional and evocative of the character and the game itself it is to me.

If I draw a clear line that makes pedos feel unwelcome, -- no 'short' races, no tieflings, it means I'm not going to log onto Roll20 and find that someone has DMed me a rape fantasy (again). Maybe I'll miss like, someone's incredibly well executed tiefling character, but I enjoy the game enough that I don't really care.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

as an IRL person with dwarfism I'm gonna say that you're kind of a weird dude and I would probably not game with you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Andrast posted:

uh, I think the problem is something other than hobbits and tieflings here
Right? Jesus gently caress dude. This is why I have a "No sexual RP at my table" conversation 1 on 1 with literally every player well before they even draw up a character... and I've still had two people violate the rule and get kicked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GMS you gotta get out of whatever subfandom you're in and play good RPGs (so not D&D) with goons instead.