Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

devmd01 posted:

Not that we have any requirements for having cameras on for meetings, but once we we got sent home due to covid I stopped getting dressed before noon and just throw on a bath robe. I was very vocal about that fact, then turned my camera on for a minute during a our morning team stand up. Never gonna have to turn it on now!

That took a lot of courage to do.

Frankly, I am impressed by your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have to shower and get dressed as part of my daily routine, otherwise my day is totally hosed.

Bob Morales posted:

Phone rings. It's the IT director!

"Hey, can you go over to the executive conference room and help ____?"

Uhh sure.

Are these people just coddled so much that they don't need to call the help desk? This is something they can fix in 30 seconds. But they call the drat IT Director, who was apparently driving somewhere and then has to call us?

$ITVP gave out his cell number as an effort to be more “accessible”

Now a bunch of people text him when they have problems, then he calls or messages us on teams.

He doesn’t see why it’s a problem.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 16, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Moo the cow posted:

That took a lot of courage to do.

Frankly, I am impressed by your balls.

Hopefully the camera was pointed a little higher than that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Are these people just coddled so much that they don't need to call the help desk? This is something they can fix in 30 seconds. But they call the drat IT Director, who was apparently driving somewhere and then has to call us?

Yes, and the bad "IT Directors" and "CIOs" encourage it because it makes them look good with the in crowd. Talk to them and they'll get their top engineer on it right away.

I always fight it when I'm in management. Right now I'm a "senior engineer" and my management partakes in this idiocy and it drives me insane.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think part of it is that the IT director was the 'IT Department' back when they re-organized the hospital a 8-10 years back.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I think part of it is that the IT director was the 'IT Department' back when they re-organized the hospital a 8-10 years back.

I'm glad to see your hospital is no different than mine with c-suite people calling my IT Director directly for help on issues and avoiding all contact with the help desk lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

For sure, I am sure that contributes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Phone rings. It's the IT director!

"Hey, can you go over to the executive conference room and help ____?"

Uhh sure.

Yes.

We are a big enough company that we have a help desk just for executives, and they still ignore it and call whatever manager or director of the group they think is responsible. It kills any ability to get work done because everybody gets sucked into 4 hour calls everyday trying to convince an exec to restart their laptop.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

On the plus side, that's 4 hours of loving the company up that you've taken away from that exec.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jaded Burnout posted:

That or colleagues who get irrationally pissy when your camera's off.

"I turn it off when I smoke crack so you won't be distracted"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Proteus Jones posted:

Or get a 34" 21:9 ultra wide on a swing arm and never look back. I have 3 Spaces set up (macOS) one for my Python IDE and references/ebooks, one for work things like Office and RDP/ssh and one for faffing about online and messaging apps. It's glorious and I just swipe back and forth as needed to the different workspaces as needed.

This is also an excellent idea. I'm on Windows and like using the Windows shortcuts to put apps in a quarter/half of a screen or move them between screens (Windows key plus arrows) - yeah I know there are apps that would do this on one giant monitor but that's just one more app I have to deal with and I've become somewhat minimalist over the years.

Also a 34" 21:9 doesn't have as much screen space as three 32" 4Ks (as usual with diagonally-spec'd things this is misleading, the actual dimensions are 28x16).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Invoke-WebRequest uses the same .Net calls that IE uses and doesn't pay attention to the systemwide proxy set by netsh winhttp. I wasted like 4 hours between today and yesterday troubleshooting a new proxy before I found that out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love, love my 34'' 2:19 ultrawides. I have one at home and one at work. It's true that snapping a window to one side or another isn't the same as your standard 16:9, but the vast majority of things work great in that aspect ratio. There is also PowerToys that you can use to set a custom snap-point for the center that's larger and more similar to 16:9. There are also super-ultrawides that are coming out, but honestly that may be a bit much.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I moved from a 29" 21:9(UW-FHD) to a 32" 16:9(Q-FHD) and i honestly prefer the conventional ratio(beside the small size bump), windows scaling has still some catching up to do and most apps are designed for 16:9, making some menus/panes stretched up.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 17, 2020

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I love my new ultrawide monitor *running at 1024x768*

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

grillster posted:

I love my new ultrawide monitor *running at 1024x768*

At $AWFUL_JOB my manager had a 16:9 23' monitor and he'd run it with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd offer to fix it, and he staunchly insisted it was correct and not stretched. It was infuriating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At $AWFUL_JOB my manager had a 16:9 23' monitor and he'd run it with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd offer to fix it, and he staunchly insisted it was correct and not stretched. It was infuriating.

6 short years ago I had a boss who used a single 17" gateway CRT and a matching clicky-clacky keyboard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mobile device email can be terrible.

1. Register user in UEM
2. Send email with QR code
3. Download UEM app on user device from app store
4. Have user enter app store password
5. Scan QR code
6. Have user enter device PIN
7. Accept and install MDM profile certificate
8. Have user enter app store password again so it can auto-download email app
9. Create new password for email app
10. Have user enter device PIN
11. Enter user credentials for email
12. Enter newly created email password

Even worse is the newer iPhones where the user has to unlock the phone with their face.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

grillster posted:

I administered Good back in 2006 on a fleet of Palm Treos before the office switched to Blackberry in 2009. I hadn't thought about that software in eleven years until yesterday, then today I read your post about it.

Wasn't a bad product.

I know a story about how Good nanaged to get banned from even being considered at a major multinational you've all heard of largely by not being Good as it were. Possibly more about how incredibly dumb Good's salespeople were vs Airwatch though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Me "so, we can't see poo poo"
Guy 1 "uhh impossible...wait wtf is going on, I'm calling guy 2"
Guy 2 "sup, I'm told something impossible is happening"
Guy 1 "try it"
Guy 2 "uhhhhhhhhh I'm going to call guy 3, this is so weird"
Guy 3....on and on

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guy 4 is in the call now

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Mobile device email can be terrible.

1. Register user in UEM
2. Send email with QR code
3. Download UEM app on user device from app store
4. Have user enter app store password
5. Scan QR code
6. Have user enter device PIN
7. Accept and install MDM profile certificate
8. Have user enter app store password again so it can auto-download email app
9. Create new password for email app
10. Have user enter device PIN
11. Enter user credentials for email
12. Enter newly created email password

Even worse is the newer iPhones where the user has to unlock the phone with their face.

I just went through a migration from Airwatch (Workspace ONE) to Intune and I still can't believe how terrible the entire process was.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

I just went through a migration from Airwatch (Workspace ONE) to Intune and I still can't believe how terrible the entire process was.

I've only got 200 numbers to deal with so I cannot WAIT to get this done.
We haven't picked up intune yet but as soon as we do I'm gonna push it from Knox KME and be loving done with it.
Hell, even if I had to do it all from scratch I'd rather do that than ever have to loving touch Airwatch again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Much prefer Intune, that's for sure. If you can push it from Knox KME, that's cool. I wish I could have used Airwatch to push Intune, but sadly it doesn't work that way. On iOS, the process of accepting the management profile is way too complicated for 90% of our users. In Android, Android Enterprise is great, but in typical Android fashion it is not consistent across devices. Also, the whole separate work profile bit is awesome from a technical standpoint, but it confused users and meant we needed to do things like push VLC to open voicemail attachments because otherwise the work profile had no way to open the file. Oh, and for folks who wanted their contacts synced to their personal profile to be able to text people from their person profile or see contacts in Android Auto or whatever.

Most of my headache was from Modern Auth and using old O365 MFA instead of Azure Conditional Access. If you have "Remember Multi-Factor Authentication" turned on, it WILL cause mobile devices to ask the user to log back in at the interval you have set instead of using a "app token." Once I turned that off, it was relatively smooth sailing.

I guess while I'm recollecting, I would also be sure to turn on some sort of Conditional Access / Device Compliance on, as when you turn that on it will ask the user to accept an Intune device certificate and the UI for it is awful in iOS, and Microsoft says there is no better way to do it. So probably better to do that as part of the cutover instead of down the road so it's not just randomly ambushing the user.

My only other real complaint with Intune is that it can take for-loving-ever to check in for policies. And that there's no way to disable or do role-based access for the "Wipe Device" function. If someone can "Retire" a device, they can also "Wipe Device." Except in iOS "Wipe Device" wipes the entire thing and "Retire" just pulls off corp data. I am waiting for the day when one of our techs clicks the wrong button.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I disabled the webcam device on my laptop. Until they pay to have AC installed in this house I will be as clothed or unclothed as the temperature requires.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I turned down interviewing for Paul Allens person IT person. A friend of mine took it though. Now he just works directly for vulcan in vip IT service tho lol

When it comes down to it this is probably the best effort/income position in IT in my experience - been doing it for a couple Fortune 500 companies the last decade and you do have days where you get paid deece figgies to reset passwords and walk someone through using Skype meetings for the 3rd time this month.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
A CEO of a startup contacted me and asked if I’m interested in joining. Sure, why not? Then he told me I’ll have to be interviewed by dev team first. No problem. Dev team emailed me available time, it’s either 7 PM on Friday night or 1 PM on Saturday, with interview scheduled for approx. 3 hours. :psyduck:

NO THANKS

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Aesis posted:

A CEO of a startup contacted me and asked if I’m interested in joining. Sure, why not? Then he told me I’ll have to be interviewed by dev team first. No problem. Dev team emailed me available time, it’s either 7 PM on Friday night or 1 PM on Saturday, with interview scheduled for approx. 3 hours. :psyduck:

NO THANKS

At least they were honest and upfront about what a shite company they are.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

NO THANKS

You should be thanking them; they answered all of your questions about work/life balance without you even having to ask them. Really convenient to knock those out of the way right off the top.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

You should be thanking them; they answered all of your questions about work/life balance without you even having to ask them. Really convenient to knock those out of the way right off the top.

I've talked about Stripe for this, right? One of their openly stated hiring criteria was "if this person was in the office working on a Sunday, would I come in to the office just to hang out?". So many red flags in one sentence.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
It's not wage theft if it's recreation!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Complex project that calls an API, with no good documentation or Dev test cases is going to have to be tested in prod. These tests will be carefully controlled, but still what could go wrong?

Also Classic ASP can gently caress itself, but you know this already.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Customer has 21TB of data on a scratch Lustre deployment. Months ago we notify them of the inherent instability of their current set up (think RAID-0 over twenty hard disks) and urge them in a simple, declarative email and subsequent followup calls to move off of their current setup to persistent storage FSx for Lustre and perform a full end-to-end update, including backup to S3.

Customer: nah

One guess what happened.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh well, at least the CYA is stored in the customer record

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Customer has 21TB of data on a scratch Lustre deployment. Months ago we notify them of the inherent instability of their current set up (think RAID-0 over twenty hard disks) and urge them in a simple, declarative email and subsequent followup calls to move off of their current setup to persistent storage FSx for Lustre and perform a full end-to-end update, including backup to S3.

One guess what happened.

1. Do you have an email of them accepting the risks of it failing?
2. The person who accepted the risk on their side, is he now going to get fired?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

One guess what happened.

RAID 0: The zero is for how much data you'll have left when it inevitably fails.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the better way to look at it is the 0 stands for how many fucks you give about the data.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bull3964 posted:

I think the better way to look at it is the 0 stands for how many fucks you give about the data.

You say tomato, I say tomahto.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Agrikk posted:

One guess what happened.

Linus Tech Tips released a new video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hah hah hah. Now they are saying that they had done a full backup restore validation on their production environment. But what they meant by that is they visually spot checked it. Like what does that even mean?

The hot-potato bullshit that must be going on behind closed doors over there must be insane. They tried heaving it onto us but the email was produced and we got to say "the thing we asked you to do, you didn't. The thing we warned you would happen, did."

Steakandchips posted:

1. Do you have an email of them accepting the risks of it failing?
2. The person who accepted the risk on their side, is he now going to get fired?

1. of course not. no way anyone over there would accept any kind of ownership of anything.
2. see above.