Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't know anything about the character expect that pedos swarm to her. My introduction to CR was someone telling me I 'just had to' watch this video of someone RPing as Jester and it was a girl screaming for someone to stop anally raping her, but in a baby voice. Multiple people have gushed about how good and emotional and evocative of the character and the game itself it is to me.

If I draw a clear line that makes pedos feel unwelcome, -- no 'short' races, no tieflings, it means I'm not going to log onto Roll20 and find that someone has DMed me a rape fantasy (again). Maybe I'll miss like, someone's incredibly well executed tiefling character, but I enjoy the game enough that I don't really care.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ll allow sexual rp in the style of Chuck Tingle but that’s all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't know anything about the character expect that pedos swarm to her. My introduction to CR was someone telling me I 'just had to' watch this video of someone RPing as Jester and it was a girl screaming for someone to stop anally raping her, but in a baby voice. Multiple people have gushed about how good and emotional and evocative of the character and the game itself it is to me.

If I draw a clear line that makes pedos feel unwelcome, -- no 'short' races, no tieflings, it means I'm not going to log onto Roll20 and find that someone has DMed me a rape fantasy (again). Maybe I'll miss like, someone's incredibly well executed tiefling character, but I enjoy the game enough that I don't really care.
Holy poo poo, she's 20 years old and nothing like that ever happens in game, you just need to stop gaming with creeps. If your players can't be expected to not turn, like, a species that is literally baseline humans with horns into children getting sexually assaulted they're wrong. This is all wrong. Why do you talk to anyone who would show that video to you?

I'm not even upset because I play a tiefling but, dude, people into pedo poo poo are just going to be playing short humans or elves or whatever, the players are wrong.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GreenMetalSun posted:

I also ban all 'short' races (halflings, goblins, kobolds, kender, kenku, etc.), because if I had a dollar for every time a dude wrote me a six page rape fantasy that went on and on about how 'She looks like a toddler, but actually she's 35!', I'd have seven dollars. I also don't allow tieflings since CR came out, because same thing, only the rape fantasy is about the 9-year-old blue tiefling girl in that one.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm gonna level with you - this all sounds like a horror show, but I have absolutely no idea what it has to do with halfings, tieflings, etc. And I have no idea what that video you're referring to is, but the people who told you to watch it are idiots.

Also 6-page backstories of any kind are extremely 90's and should be a warning sign, regardless of content.

e: Yes, there are many goon games going on, with people without .... well, whatever in the world all of this is. Give some of them a try, and don't play with creeps, even online.

dwarf74 has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jun 18, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I play a game with a bunch of friends I knew and liked before we played dnd together and it's going great and completely not weird, your boundary doesn't need to be no short people it needs to be no sexual talk if you're rping with randos, imo. That'll just drive off the erpers anyway.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

PetraCore posted:

Actually, correction, I feel like I heard the kender are explicitly perpetual children but anyone using that to introduce sex needs to be kicked into the sun. Don't they reproduce by telling stories until fictional kender spontaniously become real or something?

They will the next time I run a homebrew game. Towns with a kender population either learn very quickly to subsidize the arts to keep them entertained or wind up with exponential population growth. The small reverse sonic boom (a moob) as air displaces to make way for a spontaneously-generated kender is a harbinger of famine and source of terror.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hello Sailor posted:

They will the next time I run a homebrew game. Towns with a kender population either learn very quickly to subsidize the arts to keep them entertained or wind up with exponential population growth. The small reverse sonic boom (a moob) as air displaces to make way for a spontaneously-generated kender is a harbinger of famine and source of terror.
Kender with no concept of sex but some weird taboos around where and when to storytell fictional kender would be funny.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Our group had one small size character in a previous campaign and two now and none of this weird poo poo came up. What the actual gently caress.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Where D&D has always failed is that the game is fundamentally about hitting guys with stuff until they fall down. By any measurement you'd want to use, that's what the game books end up being primarily focused around. Having non 'hitting guys with stuff' stats and skills is nice but they never make it actually equitable or workable.

Any character can walk up to a door and pretty much every single DM in the world will let them roll a dice and compare it to some number on their sheet and see if they can just smack it open by force because the number says their character is strong enough to do that.

However, in almost every single D&D game that I've ever experienced or seen played, a person who has a number on their sheet saying that their character is smart enough to do something doesn't get to walk up to a puzzle and roll a dice and smart it open by cunning. Likewise the poor sap who put his high number into being friendly; good luck tossing a dice and convincing that Storm Giant to sit down and talk out the whole kidnapped Princess thing (without a lot of dumb hoop jumping 'what do you say? let's play act it out' 'you didn't make Tim play act out putting his shoulder through the door' 'no but that's because it just says on his sheet that he's strong').

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreenMetalSun posted:

I have never seen anything like this in any fanart. If your buddy showed you that, that's a problem with him.

Sir I think the problem you have is that everyone you know is actually a pedophile and you haven't figured it out yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NorgLyle posted:

Where D&D has always failed is that the game is fundamentally about hitting guys with stuff until they fall down. By any measurement you'd want to use, that's what the game books end up being primarily focused around. Having non 'hitting guys with stuff' stats and skills is nice but they never make it actually equitable or workable.

Any character can walk up to a door and pretty much every single DM in the world will let them roll a dice and compare it to some number on their sheet and see if they can just smack it open by force because the number says their character is strong enough to do that.

However, in almost every single D&D game that I've ever experienced or seen played, a person who has a number on their sheet saying that their character is smart enough to do something doesn't get to walk up to a puzzle and roll a dice and smart it open by cunning. Likewise the poor sap who put his high number into being friendly; good luck tossing a dice and convincing that Storm Giant to sit down and talk out the whole kidnapped Princess thing (without a lot of dumb hoop jumping 'what do you say? let's play act it out' 'you didn't make Tim play act out putting his shoulder through the door' 'no but that's because it just says on his sheet that he's strong').

Just rolling to solve the puzzle might be less fun, though. I mean, in many cases stuff like "search for traps" or "disable trap" or "unlock door" or "cast spells" or "copy spell down to your book" or, indeed, depending on context, "how persuasive you can be with this noble" are things you can actually roll for or just do automatically with the right skill on your character sheet, but sometimes there are situations where "roll to obviate the problem" would just be anti-climactic. Feats of strength aren't usually on that list of things you'd rather do yourself, unless you're into really intense LARPing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I've also seen failures rped out in some really spectacular ways that have nothing to do with how smart/strong/charismatic the character actually is. Maybe the strong guy slips and eats poo poo instead of hitting the door, or the smart character gets distracted on a research tangent. Does it get absurd sometimes? Yes, but that can be pretty funny.

Then again I've seen a group accidentally turn the K6BD rpg into a slapstick farce because of how they kept rolling.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just rolling to solve the puzzle might be less fun, though. I mean, in many cases stuff like "search for traps" or "disable trap" or "unlock door" or "cast spells" or "copy spell down to your book" or, indeed, depending on context, "how persuasive you can be with this noble" are things you can actually roll for or just do automatically with the right skill on your character sheet, but sometimes there are situations where "roll to obviate the problem" would just be anti-climactic. Feats of strength aren't usually on that list of things you'd rather do yourself, unless you're into really intense LARPing.
Which is fine and good and a lot of games handle it exactly that way. D&D, unfortunately, has you write down on your character sheet (on every single character sheet) a 'How Good This Character Is At Solving Puzzles' number that you don't get to use to solve puzzles in the same way that the 'Break Down Doors' number breaks down doors.

(But this is super duper off topic and should probably head over to the TG forum assuming it's still around. Sorry, just poked a button in my head.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GreenMetalSun posted:

I also ban all 'short' races (halflings, goblins, kobolds, kender, kenku, etc.), because if I had a dollar for every time a dude wrote me a six page rape fantasy that went on and on about how 'She looks like a toddler, but actually she's 35!', I'd have seven dollars. I also don't allow tieflings since CR came out, because same thing, only the rape fantasy is about the 9-year-old blue tiefling girl in that one.
Sounds more like a problem with your players. Have you considered hanging around less terrible people?

e: Oh I see you play on roll 20. Have you considered putting "No paedos" in your game adverts?

Or maybe playing a different system?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NorgLyle posted:

Which is fine and good and a lot of games handle it exactly that way. D&D, unfortunately, has you write down on your character sheet (on every single character sheet) a 'How Good This Character Is At Solving Puzzles' number that you don't get to use to solve puzzles in the same way that the 'Break Down Doors' number breaks down doors.

(But this is super duper off topic and should probably head over to the TG forum assuming it's still around. Sorry, just poked a button in my head.)
I think this is something newer games (and even newer editions of old standbys like D&D) have generally been better at over the past decade or so.

Generally, not always.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NorgLyle posted:

There are two relevant TG threads TG As An Industry which is in the process of discussing the WotC statement and the responses to it for obvious reasons (starting with this post), and The Philosophy of Roleplaying Games which, well, the name says it all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PetraCore posted:

I've also seen failures rped out in some really spectacular ways that have nothing to do with how smart/strong/charismatic the character actually is. Maybe the strong guy slips and eats poo poo instead of hitting the door, or the smart character gets distracted on a research tangent. Does it get absurd sometimes? Yes, but that can be pretty funny.

Then again I've seen a group accidentally turn the K6BD rpg into a slapstick farce because of how they kept rolling.

I'm in a GURPS game where my character is an alcoholic. Normally this Disadvantage is a joke because GMs always forget about compelling it, so players get a free 15 CP during character creation. On our last assignment, I decided that poo poo was so stressful (it was a Resident Evil-style "laboratory hidden in a mansion" scenario) that he immediately began guzzling whiskey from a found bottle.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Splicer posted:

Sounds more like a problem with your players. Have you considered hanging around less terrible people?

e: Oh I see you play on roll 20. Have you considered putting "No paedos" in your game adverts?

Or maybe playing a different system?

I don't play with these people? I never said I did. People will DM me creepy poo poo when I have ads up. I've gotten poo poo like this when I've had 'This is a PG-13 game' in the ad. I've joined games with 'LGBTQ friendly! No Creeps!' and there's creepy Steve, describing how his halfing looks like a six-year old and is a massive cumslut.

Actually, re: the game with Creepy Steve, one of the dudes is still stalking me on reddit and harassing me (like a year later) for 'ditching them in the first session for no good reason'.

Banning these characters lowers the amount of weirdos contacting me because I guess it makes people not bother?

I'm sure everyone here has fully realized tiefling and halfling characters and I'm nothing but happy for you.

GreenMetalSun has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jun 18, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We need a palette cleanser of sorts.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please bring back the creepy hobbit characters instead

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You cleanse it with that!?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

That is NOT a palette cleanser.

Other than cleansing fire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell, it's not even a palate cleanser

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

chitoryu12 posted:

For those of us who have forgotten Matt Gaetz, he:

* Has a DUI and 16 speeding tickets in 15 years

* Used r/The_Donald posts to draft amendments

* Was investigated for witness intimidation against Michael Cohen

* Stormed the SCIF on Capitol Hill to protest Republicans not being allowed into impeachment hearings, despite Republicans already being present in the hearing he raised

* Sarcastically wore a gas mask to protest having to sign off on funds to handle the COVID-19 pandemic, then freaked out when he realized he had been exposed

* Said antifa needs to be "hunted down like terrorists"

He's well known as one of the wettest frat boys-turned-politicians in America. If he got trashed and fell off a bridge into the lake, it would make every part of the country better except for the lake.

You left out the best one:

* Allegedly got his dick curb stomped by a bouncer outside a Gainesville bar

Can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure it's been linked on the forums a few times.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I get the feeling (without commenting on the rest) that 'innie pussy' is something both insanely transphobic and anime-related.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GreenMetalSun posted:

I get the feeling (without commenting on the rest) that 'innie pussy' is something both insanely transphobic and anime-related.
Pretty sure they mean no visible labia minora. There's a weird incel myth that visible labia minora is a sign of loving too much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any time you spend thinking about that is time you'd be better off spending thinking about literally anything else.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
everyone I've ever known that's played a kender has played them for the almost exclusive purpose of annoying the rest of the group, particularly the one person in every group in existence that has an irrational hatred of kender

it's traditional

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

haha khajiit go prr

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1273673136274149376

"knowing more than one language is reactionary"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure they mean no visible labia minora. There's a weird incel myth that visible labia minora is a sign of loving too much.

Time to haul out an old classic:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

This take is 100% correct

Do you think most people in a country know more than one language?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

This take is 100% correct

Do you think most people in a country know more than one language?

... Yes? This is an amazingly American post lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

... Yes? This is an amazingly American post lmao

Lol this is an amazingly middle class post

You keep believing that

I can guarantee your European

But your incorrect to be clear

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's true that a shitload of people know more than 1 language. it's also true that most people who do don't bother posting on the internet in foreign languages.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol this is an amazingly middle class post

You keep believing that

I can guarantee your European

But your incorrect to be clear

wow you're pretty racist aren't you

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

OwlFancier posted:

Does the US not have, like, license points or whatever?

lisence points are a county thing so imagine laws that different on a state level x 1million.

Splicer posted:

naw im pretty sure they mean no labia at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

wow you're pretty racist aren't you

What

Wait this is the thing where we use woke language to justify bombing brown people that’s fun

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Truga posted:

it's true that a shitload of people know more than 1 language. it's also true that most people who do don't bother posting on the internet in foreign languages.

poo poo, you could have told me that before I spent years on this forum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell a majority of people don’t post on the internet in general

Despite what twitter might tell you it’s not exactly representative of the whole

It’s always going to better represent the middle class