Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Speaking for my friends with arts PhDs: what the gently caress is a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53096584

RFU to review the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good, the way the English sing it is a crime in itself.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the review is for cultural appropriation since iirc the song itself isnt racial in nature? although if you banned everything the english culturally appropriated they'd wear plain grey and sit in silence

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

kecske posted:

the review is for cultural appropriation since iirc the song itself isnt racial in nature? although if you banned everything the english culturally appropriated they'd wear plain grey and sit in silence

It's basically what we deserve

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

kecske posted:

the review is for cultural appropriation since iirc the song itself isnt racial in nature?

not exactly. it's a spiritual song most likely written by an african american slave about elijah ascending to heaven.

then some rugby fans sung it because of martin 'chariots' offiah.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vaders Jester posted:

Thank Christ.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

HappyCamperGL posted:

not exactly. it's a spiritual song most likely written by an african american slave about elijah ascending to heaven.

then some rugby fans sung it because of martin 'chariots' offiah.

Notably not actually singing it for the first time at an England international at Twickenham to him, but to Chris Oti, another black guy.

This is one of those things where a tradition has possibly dodgy origins, but the people continuing it don't intend any offence, and just see it as a harmless singalong. As a non-English person, I'd be glad to see the back of it (as it's pretty tedious).

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 19, 2020

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I wonder if in the light of everything going on and stuff like this being reviewed, Exeter will cast a critical eye on their whole loving deal. Surprised they've been able to get away with it this long to be honest.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they sang more than two lines it would be nice.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

oh no computer posted:

I wonder if in the light of everything going on and stuff like this being reviewed, Exeter will cast a critical eye on their whole loving deal. Surprised they've been able to get away with it this long to be honest.

I wouldn't hold your breath, Chiefs have been pretty belligerent about doing anything with their branding for years and Rowe, despite hating Sarries, is a prick.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does Super Rugby have a salary cap? Never really heard it discussed.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Vaders Jester posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath, Chiefs have been pretty belligerent about doing anything with their branding for years and Rowe, despite hating Sarries, is a prick.

if Chiefs had to review their name, would Saracens not?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

kecske posted:

if Chiefs had to review their name, would Saracens not?

Potentially. Though Saracens, as much as they are massive cheating bastards, don't have things like that stupid tomahawk chop and fans wearing native American headdresses like the Chiefs.

So it's a silly name to have these days but they're not leaning into anything particularly dumb like the Chiefs do and haven't build their identity around any Middle-Eastern cultures, as far as I'm aware so they have less pressure on them to change.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 20, 2020

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Australia have a $5m cap, can't seem to find anything on the SA or NZ teams but I'd imagine it's around about the same.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mister Chief posted:

The NZ teams have $4.65million as of 2017, but it may have gone up. It is a bit complicated though, since the team that the majority of Super Rugby players is largely determined by geographical location and the provincial union they're signed with.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brock James joins Ospreys as attack coach.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Refs just straight up running distractions for the Crusaders now.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Speaking of coach hirings, Gloucester have signed ex-London Irish 2nd row George Skivington as head coach, following the whole weird Ackermann/Humphreys debacle.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

oh no computer posted:

Speaking of coach hirings, Gloucester have signed ex-London Irish 2nd row George Skivington as head coach, following the whole weird Ackermann/Humphreys debacle.

And somehow triggered another debacle in the process.

Did Gloucester kick a black cat through a old wise-woman's mirror or something?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Chiliboy Ralepelle banned for 8 years for his 3rd PED violation.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dude needs more practice at hiding it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, now he has lots of time to work on it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Should have stayed off the hot stuff.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

You'd think getting caught twice already would be enough to give him the hint that maybe they're keeping an eye on him.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Retched reffing in this game.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Retched reffing in this game.

The two sides the refs always favour: the Crusaders and whoever is playing the Chiefs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That's Mr Greg off to Japan for a pay day. Maybe he can teach them a thing or two about slowing the game down and really hurt the Japanese game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it'll turn out he just needed everyone to get into position faster and his game will open right up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Go reds.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Super Rugby Au leading Reds.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester posted:

When I was at the Wales vs England friendly in the Milennium Stadium the Welsh guy next to me kept winding up the English fans on the other side of me. At one point he lectured them at length about how they were singing a song about slavery, and to be fair most of the English fans on the other side genuinely looked like they had no idea what he was on about.

Not sure how enforceable that would actually be though. Who do you punish when 30,000 people start singing a song?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should give everyone a song book or stick some karaoke on the big screen. A giant assembly in the stadium. The public school types should love it, they wouldn't even have to watch the game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

When I was at the Wales vs England friendly in the Milennium Stadium the Welsh guy next to me kept winding up the English fans on the other side of me. At one point he lectured them at length about how they were singing a song about slavery, and to be fair most of the English fans on the other side genuinely looked like they had no idea what he was on about.

Not sure how enforceable that would actually be though. Who do you punish when 30,000 people start singing a song?

Well they're already watching England play rugby sooooooooooooooooo

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Probably less about stopping people from singing it, even if the rendition from England fans is rough at best, but telling people that it's actually a slave spiritual and where it comes from. Won't stop the prawn sandwich brigade but they're just there to be seen at the rugby anyway.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
As a white American I was always very confused by England fans singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot. To me it wasn't really about race, though I'll defer to the Black community on that one, it just struck me as cultural appropriation and having no understanding of where it came from or what it meant. Though considering how the British Museum was filled I guess it's par for the course really. Glad to see it go.

Now the Chiefs need to change their name and racist rear end logo too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the 10 second uncredited novelty ringtone of cultural appropriation.

Most people probably just assume it's a generic hymn. Assembly music, like I said earlier.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

goatface posted:

It's the 10 second uncredited novelty ringtone of cultural appropriation.

Most people probably just assume it's a generic hymn. Assembly music, like I said earlier.

Ignorance by the individual doesn't change the root issue.

And yes it isn't a huge issue on the scale of a lot of things, but to me it always made me uncomfortable since that song was too important and holy almost to be used in that way. And I'm white. It's a big deal in the Black community. That was what I meant by cultural appropriation. That the song was grabbed with 0 thought given to where it came from and what it means.

I think that the Chiefs logo is a much bigger deal honestly.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

drunk leprechaun posted:

As a white American I was always very confused by England fans singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot. To me it wasn't really about race, though I'll defer to the Black community on that one, it just struck me as cultural appropriation and having no understanding of where it came from or what it meant.
I'm pretty sure it started life in rugby as a bawdy song ([testicles] swinging low, coming forth, etc) that was sung in local clubhouses years before supporters of the English national team started singing it at matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

As a white American I was always very confused by England fans singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot. To me it wasn't really about race, though I'll defer to the Black community on that one, it just struck me as cultural appropriation and having no understanding of where it came from or what it meant. Though considering how the British Museum was filled I guess it's par for the course really. Glad to see it go.

Now the Chiefs need to change their name and racist rear end logo too.

They only really have to change the logo, they can use local history and use a leader of the Dumnonii tribe as their 'chief'.