Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bobby Digital posted:

You guys like trains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like that Sydney connects to Isfahan of all places.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Last year my wife and I were curious about taking a train for our trip to Florida. The trip required us going from our local area, to Dallas, up to Michigan or Illinois (I forget) over to the new England area then finally down to florida. With a few other stops along the way.

We didn't travel by train.

That's my modern US train system story.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

BRB, got to throw together a Ticket to Ride knockoff.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

Last year my wife and I were curious about taking a train for our trip to Florida. The trip required us going from our local area, to Dallas, up to Michigan or Illinois (I forget) over to the new England area then finally down to florida. With a few other stops along the way.

We didn't travel by train.

That's my modern US train system story.

It was Chicago. The only ways from one coast to another are Chicago or New Orleans, and the New Orleans train goes straight to South Carolina for some reason so it's almost always slower by half a day.

Passenger rail in the US is in desperate need of work.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Memento posted:

My kids were watching the old Pokemon cartoon and there's a dude in it who speaks in a really thick Texan accent. I looked it up and it turns out that character speaks with a Kansai dialect, which is apparently kind of a Japanese redneck. So I learned a thing or two about Japanese dialects and internal bigotry.
Schwarzenegger, being Austrian, offered to do his own voice for the German dub of Terminator bit they decided they didn't want the Terminator to sound like a farmer.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Memento posted:

My kids were watching the old Pokemon cartoon and there's a dude in it who speaks in a really thick Texan accent. I looked it up and it turns out that character speaks with a Kansai dialect, which is apparently kind of a Japanese redneck. So I learned a thing or two about Japanese dialects and internal bigotry.

A Kansai dialect isn't a redneck dialect, unless you consider places like Kyoto and Osaka to be middle of nowhere hick territory. It's just noticeably different from the standard Tokyo dialect, usually compared to a Boston or Brooklyn accent.

The actual main redneck Japanese dialect is Touhoku, which is basically incomprehensible.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Scarodactyl posted:

Schwarzenegger, being Austrian, offered to do his own voice for the German dub of Terminator bit they decided they didn't want the Terminator to sound like a farmer.
gently caress I'd love a proper Somerset dub for a localised version.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw&t=68s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ariong posted:

Was that made by a flat earther? Why don’t any of the east coast Eurasian stops connect to any of the west coast American stops?

The Pacific Ocean's pretty big

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Plastik posted:

It was Chicago. The only ways from one coast to another are Chicago or New Orleans, and the New Orleans train goes straight to South Carolina for some reason so it's almost always slower by half a day.

Passenger rail in the US is in desperate need of work.

I always knew passenger rail was bad but honestly I was shocked by how bad that trip log was.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The northeast corridor (Boston to DC) is a great place to take a train because Amtrak owns the tracks. Outside of that area Amtrak just leases them and has lower priority than all other traffic. Those train rides can be fun, but you have to be less picky about what day you arrive at places.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Pacific Ocean's pretty big

Oh you’re right, obviously that was a result of the designer’s keen eye for logistics.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Meanwhile…

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Oh boy time for my trip from San Francisco to Phoenix

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

A truly visionary integrated North American rail network, Vancouver to Seattle with only one transfer in Buffalo, NY!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

For the ultimate version of this, watch A Very Secret Service on Netflix (French: Au service de la France). The scene where the Quebecois try to get the French to help with their independence movement is hilarious, even with subtitles. One weird thing is that even in French, the Quebecois have a really obvious accent. And I don't speak more than enough French to get a hot chocolate half the time. (The other time I ended up with a ham sandwich, sooo....)

Most Americans don't really realize that other languages have different accents, too.

There was an interesting twitter thread a while ago about the Quebec French dub of the Simpsons, which is done separately from the French dub in France, and how they will actually put a lot of work into the translation to regionalize a lot of the jokes (for example in the "steamed hams" bit, the references to upstate new york are changed to places in Quebec). One of the funny bits they mentioned is that in the episode where Bart goes to France, that posed a somewhat interesting challenge for them since the idea that Bart doesn't speak French is kind of central to the plot, so what they did is that when Bart has to talk to the policeman and he can't understand him, they had the cop speaking very proper Parisian French and Bart speaking in heavy Quebecois slang. After the cop fails to understand him for a while Bart has the line "I thought they spoke French in France?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/LLsunflower/status/1273474305939124225

https://twitter.com/LLsunflower/status/1273497988715986945

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sorry antipodeans, while we can build Atlantic ocean spanning spite trains, we must recognize you are barely human living out there on those weird islands and you still need to take the ferry from Australia to New Zealand.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Literally the map from Snowpiercer but worse

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wouldn't the continental drift steadily break those rail lines?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, but only at a couple cm/yr. We have trains that span continental divides already.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This seems like a safe place to build a city, where no foundations will ever break down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

IIRC the city of Hollister repaired that particular kerb, much to the chagrin of scientists.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

We found the spot where its changing, so we can just avoid it now

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bobby Digital posted:

It looks like it got hit by an earthquake. California HSR finally got built just in time to get murdered by the San Andreas Fault :rip:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Supposedly that rail map has all cities on it that have a subway system, with random lines drawn between them, and supposedly that's why Africa has less stuff - because it has less subway systems.

I have no idea if that's true though.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Supposedly that rail map has all cities on it that have a subway system, with random lines drawn between them, and supposedly that's why Africa has less stuff - because it has less subway systems.

I have no idea if that's true though.

It’s the cover of a book of transit maps which I own as it turns out: https://books.google.com/books/about/Transit_Maps_of_the_World.html?id=u82tDQAAQBAJ

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

It’s the cover of a book of transit maps which I own as it turns out: https://books.google.com/books/about/Transit_Maps_of_the_World.html?id=u82tDQAAQBAJ

Did...someone edit the cover so that Africa doesn't have any connections? It's labeled as "under construction" in the twitter photo, but on the cover there it's connected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Did...someone edit the cover so that Africa doesn't have any connections? It's labeled as "under construction" in the twitter photo, but on the cover there it's connected.

The one that’s been going around is the 2003 edition.

The 2015 edition has Africa connected.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The one that’s been going around is the 2003 edition.

The 2015 edition has Africa connected.

Presumably the earlier editions didn't have the African maps available?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tramfrau/status/1273591826344280064

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/Monogrammaton/status/1273743400139845633

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So they went to the effort of writing the book on subways but didn't put in the effort of having a not-terrible network

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The cover is usually not the author’s fault, they have very little input on it, but Ovenden seems to be taking credit for it, so maybe this is an exception.

https://twitter.com/markovenden/status/1273596610027675648

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

HardDiskD posted:

So they went to the effort of writing the book on subways but didn't put in the effort of having a not-terrible network

I doubt there’s any not-terrible way to hook up all the current subway systems of the world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Trebuchets.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I.... I guess Dallas has a subway? i mean it goes underground for a bit but really thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

I doubt there’s any not-terrible way to hook up all the current subway systems of the world.

Probably not, and I'm not a subway engineer or whatever but I'm positive there are better ways than this

and this