Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You again?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lenn?!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There was just enough vomiting and pissing to meet my high gaming standards.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

Arthur is a real interesting guy. Before I had the game and I saw the gameplay on youtube I always thought his voice sounded kinda forced and fake. But it's really a big difference to play as him.

I'm the type who can't bring myself to be more bad than I have to so I keep on playing with high honor. Therefor my Arthur is generally always a kind soul...unless he's under the thumb of Strauss ofc.

I think high honor is the most thematically consistent with the story. Arthur is a thief and a vicious killer, and deep down he knows his whole life is a series of tragedies, but a flimsy code of honor lets him not think too hard about it. That line of his to John about "Do you ever think we never really was what we remember," is like the summation for the whole story.

It's cool how the game uses dramatic irony. The characters talk fondly about the old west but it's portrayal in the game world is relentlessly negative.

Anyway I just got to chapter 4 and the game does a great job of building mounting dread. Each mission marker on the mini map is a fresh opportunity to make Arthur suffer.

This is the most literary game I've played since Disco Elysium.

The game even gives you footnotes in the form of Dutch's book collection, which I think have real titles mixed in.

I'm not sure about all this because I haven't finished the story and am unwilling to google it for fear of spoilers.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 17, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

How do I get items crafted when I don't have a place to store pelts, etc.?

Also: the menus for the trapper, Pearson, etc. are hot garbage because there's no way to know that you have the parts to craft something unless you drill all the way down to the specific item. Without an in-game way to create an ongoing list of needed items I can't see myself bothering with any of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just take out a pen and a scrap of paper my dude.

What you need to do is drop off pelts with Pearson or the trapper and they will stay fresh forever in their loving embrace.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lemme just say you guys should watch these if you already havent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWdv5asDlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aj2Pt5vWT8

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh so RDR2 is a prequel? This is how little I know going in.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

They really needed to have a Steam port for RDR1that or remaster it in RDR2s engine

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh so RDR2 is a prequel? This is how little I know going in.

Oh man, please posts your thoughts on the epilogue when you get there. I would be so confused as to what the gently caress was going on and why if I hadn't played RDR1 first.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Triggered.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You lose honor for looting strangers but not for shooting them down in cold blood. Weird inconsistency of the game or weird inconsistency in Arthur's moral framework?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Arglebargle III posted:

You lose honor for looting strangers but not for shooting them down in cold blood. Weird inconsistency of the game or weird inconsistency in Arthur's moral framework?
"Honorable" isn't the same thing as "moral," which is one thing I really like about the jank-rear end moral and legal system in the game. Picking over someone else's leavings is what scavengers do, and Arthur he's better than that at least.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

As Arthur says in the beginning. "Were bad, but we ain't them"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any way to steal a coach with outriders that doesn't involve blowing away four to five guys though? A lot of missions ask you to steal a coach. Genuinely curious, my stick up robberies tend to devolve into gun battles.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any way to steal a coach with outsiders that doesn't involve blowing away four to five guys though? A lot of missions ask you to steal a couch. Genuinely curious, my stick up robberies tend to devolve into gun battles.
I just quietly put an arrow into a coach driver's head and the passengers just ran off once they realized it had rolled to a stop and wasn't starting to move again. Dunno if that's the same situation you're dealing with, but it worked out well for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Looting has always been a bad thing In games. In AssCreed for example you risk being attacked by an angry mob if you loot a dead body.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any way to steal a coach with outriders that doesn't involve blowing away four to five guys though? A lot of missions ask you to steal a coach. Genuinely curious, my stick up robberies tend to devolve into gun battles.

yes! but it involves several mototovs and a complete disregard for human and equine life

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arthur only gets his big poo poo-eating grin once in a blue moon so the art gallery erupting into a brawl was a treat. He's so happy!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, this game is so much more fun since I started using a modded-in trainer to disable wanted levels and bounties. I can finally just shoot a dude or rob a store without an army of psychic teleporting ultra-cops instantly descending on me. It's not even like it makes me get into fights any less, because any of the people and lawmen who are already there will still go after me, it's just no longer an endless rush of hivemind clones spawning in specifically to kick my rear end. This is really how the game should've worked from the beginning.

Also, I just went to Lake Whatsitsname to get my white Arabian. Didn't find the Arabian, but I did find a white bison. Maybe I should've just tried riding that. Found the Arabian afterwards and broke it in like thirty seconds no sweat... and then a swarm of wolves spawned literally on top of me and the game crashed, because getting both the special horse and a legendary kill in less than ten minutes was just too much fun and success for it to tolerate. Luckily, everything was still there after I reloaded.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Spent the last 2 months playing this on PC and finally beat the epilogue yesterday. Took 71 hours, and I'm at about 85% completion. In my effort to avoid spoilers, I didn't look up any of the achievements that can't be completed once you've missed the opportunities, so I've got a number of those. I also haven't found any dinosaur bones or whatever, and a number of other things. I've also noticed that there are some parts of the map where the story never leads you, such as Armadillo, which I just visited, and there's a plague there, which is totally irrelevant. So I killed everybody I could find, cause they'll be dead soon anyway.. Are there more cool spots to go visit that the story never takes you to? I didn't play RDR1, and I'm thinking that some of it is related to that... if it ever comes out on PC, I'll play it.

Overall, I rate this experience a 9.5/10. Haven't had this much fun in a single-player game since HL2.

And holy poo poo, those credits were long. Like 20 minutes. What the gently caress.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Has anyone been able to find a black Arabian horse in Saint Denis before being able to buy it? There's allegedly something tied to a robbery moment but I remember having that moment and I don't remember a nearby horse. It's likely patched out by this point but I wonder if anyone's run into it nevertheless

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

Spent the last 2 months playing this on PC and finally beat the epilogue yesterday. Took 71 hours, and I'm at about 85% completion. In my effort to avoid spoilers, I didn't look up any of the achievements that can't be completed once you've missed the opportunities, so I've got a number of those. I also haven't found any dinosaur bones or whatever, and a number of other things. I've also noticed that there are some parts of the map where the story never leads you, such as Armadillo, which I just visited, and there's a plague there, which is totally irrelevant. So I killed everybody I could find, cause they'll be dead soon anyway.. Are there more cool spots to go visit that the story never takes you to? I didn't play RDR1, and I'm thinking that some of it is related to that... if it ever comes out on PC, I'll play it.

Overall, I rate this experience a 9.5/10. Haven't had this much fun in a single-player game since HL2.

And holy poo poo, those credits were long. Like 20 minutes. What the gently caress.

Everything southwest of Blackwater (including Blackwater itself) is part of the RDR1 map, yeah (RDR1 also continues south of the river into Mexico). It is kind of weird that they put it in the game and did nothing with it; my guess is either they had plans they didn't have time to execute, or they just wanted the map to be that big for RDO.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Morter posted:

Has anyone been able to find a black Arabian horse in Saint Denis before being able to buy it? There's allegedly something tied to a robbery moment but I remember having that moment and I don't remember a nearby horse. It's likely patched out by this point but I wonder if anyone's run into it nevertheless

That couple near the town square, if you gun down the thieves they just walk away and leave a black Arabian that you can take without issue

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sneeze Party posted:

You're pretty much right on the money. Armadillo is the equivalent of Valentine for RDR 1

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Sneeze Party posted:

Are there more cool spots to go visit that the story never takes you to? I didn't play RDR1, and I'm thinking that some of it is related to that...

Have you found the shack down by Tumbleweed that does something when you get close? Don’t want to spoil it if you haven’t.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Professorjuggalo posted:

That couple near the town square, if you gun down the thieves they just walk away and leave a black Arabian that you can take without issue

That's what i was looking for: i spent a good solid hour reloading and rolling for that but it never happened. That's what makes me think it got patched out. Know any way to invoke that? Also, is it possible to do so before such a horse is for sale?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

winter.mute posted:

Have you found the shack down by Tumbleweed that does something when you get close? Don’t want to spoil it if you haven’t.
I'm not sure if this is it or not, but I did come across a shack where there were some Mexican gang members present, Los Lobos I think they were called, and I killed them and stole their poker money, which was inside. I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to. I'll have to look around some more. I also found an old church, but it was locked up. There was a guy out back doing some work related to the plague.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I survived a tough mission in Strawberry, and when I got back to camp I decided that I should finally take the time to review my inventory before going on any further adventures. I noticed that I had several consumables that mentioned boosting XP, so one by one I ate/drank them, and sure enough I gained improvements in various areas. The last was a bottle of rum that left the screen blurry.

Encouraged I kept digging through my satchel and noticed that several herbs I'd collected had no details available. I wondered if like in Skyrim eating them might reveal the effects, so I ate some oregano and it worked! I quickly ate my way through the unknown herbs, like sage and indian tobacco.

And then Arthur leaned over and barfed, bringing an end to my experimentation.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

making your character barf is one of the little pleasures

you can also use this to vomit-rope down from cliffs without taking fall damage

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can you only buy Missouri Fox Trotters/Turkomans in singleplayer or are there places in the wild you can find them? I really want a Gold Turkoman.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

FuturePastNow posted:

making your character barf is one of the little pleasures

you can also use this to vomit-rope down from cliffs without taking fall damage

I may have to try this. :barf: away!

I also just saw a video where the player was getting drunk at his shine shack's bar, puking via plant ingestion and the resulting dogpile by all the NPCs counted towards the daily "drunken player interaction". Vomiting into the woodburning stoves seemed to cause a nice fire, as well.

Managed to pull off two distant deliveries last night for the daily, of 3 and 4 goods respectively, from Heartlands near Valentine to Armadillo and Annesburg.

Still having the "disappearing pelt" issue, but not everywhere; gatoring near Lagras, they evaporated on me. Got near the mudflat shack north of St Denis, and I could collect more than enough for the daily. :iiam:

Either something glitched, or doing a Legendary bounty doesn't count towards the "bring in x bounties" daily.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can you only buy Missouri Fox Trotters/Turkomans in singleplayer or are there places in the wild you can find them? I really want a Gold Turkoman.

You can only buy them and only towards the end of the game, it sucks.

You could always spawn one in with a mod if you want to go to that effort.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm confused about which horses are good. Though it doesn't seem to matter at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They're all good boahs

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

It boggles my mind that they're not doing anything with online, it's like already in maintenance mode. No season pass, new content, barely any fixes... nothing. Like hell, even if they were like "hey guys we're working on stuff it was delayed by covid" that'd be a massive improvement.

It feels like they've abandoned it. I've been wanting to pick it up again but I've been waiting for new content as I was starting to get burn out from logging in just to do a daily. I don't want to get started on that again until there's something new to jump on for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm confused about which horses are good. Though it doesn't seem to matter at all.

Yeah I don't really know quite what the difference between all of them is but here's my lazyman power ranking

White Arabian -- very fast horse you can get for free in chapter 2 if you google it and know where to look. Stamina isn't great and it's apparently easily spooked (though I've never struggled with this but lots of people say it) but it's a good girl who'll be a top of the line horse until chapter 4

Chapter 4 -- just buy one of the horses that's available in the stables, they're all good. Black Arabian is a little better than white by some metric that I can't quite recall but shares the stamina/spook issues. The other horses aren't as fast as the Arabians, but they're still very fast in their own rights, and their stamina means you can push them harder without needing horse drugs.

Everything else I never found myself needing to care about

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I've never had a stamina issue. You just gotta remember to praise them every so often to recover stamina. :3:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Tapping in rhythm with their gait also seems to not drain stamina or drains very little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I only ever really notice it when traveling very long distances and even then it's honestly not a big deal. Horse drugs are plentiful enough to push you through it if you don't feel like waiting for it to recharge on its own.

The real problem with the White Arabian is that it's kind of a tiny horse and you look like a clown when you're riding with your posse