Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Is that reissue of the Vince Price volume 1 set from Shout an absolute certainty?

edit: Never mind, you can already pre-order it.

There’s a few small differences on it from the first press. No more vintage introductions, but there will be some new extras and Masque of Red Death is getting a remaster with two cuts. I call that a fair trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

There’s a few small differences on it from the first press. No more vintage introductions, but there will be some new extras and Masque of Red Death is getting a remaster with two cuts. I call that a fair trade off.

I never even knew there was an alternate version of Masque of the Red Death. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I never even knew there was an alternate version of Masque of the Red Death. Does anyone know what's up with that?

It was a co-production between American International and the UK-based Anglo-Amalgamated, so like a lot of US/UK co-productions, the UK version had some extra violence and nudity. Apparently, the camera negative is cut to the US version, but the extra footage was in an original 35mm print of the UK version owned by Joe Dante. The Film Foundation borrowed it for last year's 4K restoration to fill in the spots where footage was missing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Target is having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal going on right now.

Some pretty good UHD deals in there. Grabbed Halloween [2018], Star Trek [2008] and A Shape of Water. Got Shape for free.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 14, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there an edition of John Wick 1 & 2 out there with the original stylized in-frame subtitles? Maybe it's buried in the menus of the discs I already own...?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought the stylized subs were burned in?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Negative - everything on my discs is below frame boring white by default.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Are you from the US?

Mine have the cool subtitles.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Canada, bought retail. I just spot-checked Santino's arrival in John Wick 2 to be sure.

They probably took them out for the multilingual market. Is there any way to ensure I get a US copy on Amazon? I've been meaning to order Thief but couldn't justify shipping a single disc.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Saw vampire hunter d bloodlust for the first time in a long while and goddamn do it need a 4k release. It's super pretty and would really benefit from hdr

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It was a co-production between American International and the UK-based Anglo-Amalgamated, so like a lot of US/UK co-productions, the UK version had some extra violence and nudity. Apparently, the camera negative is cut to the US version, but the extra footage was in an original 35mm print of the UK version owned by Joe Dante. The Film Foundation borrowed it for last year's 4K restoration to fill in the spots where footage was missing.

Is there going to be a standalone Masque of the Red Death blu-ray? I already have the box set.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion in September:
Beau Travail
Christ Stopped at Eboli
Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Project No. 3
The Elephant Man
Plus blu-Ray upgrades for Brute Force and The Naked City

I know Elephant Man has a 4k release in the UK, so that might be the better option for region free folks.

CPL593H posted:

Is there going to be a standalone Masque of the Red Death blu-ray? I already have the box set.

Yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Finally managed to snag a copy of Jaws 4k by preordering on Amazon before they even got them back in stock. Supposed to be delivered today.

When I preordered I got it for $19.99 and then a few days later the price jumped up to $35. Got lucky I guess.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah $8 shipping is the flat rate no matter how much you order, it’s great

I got 3 Wes Anderson movies (Rushmore, Royal Ts and Life Aquatic - I already have the criterion of Moonrise Kingdom) plus Tampopo, Anatomy of a Murder and Only Angels Have Wings.

Heads up, they seem to have added a few more titles to this, including some Gilliam and others. I think I'm gonna snag My Brilliant Career and La Jetee/Sans Soleil.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oof, I really gotta give my spending a rest. I'm still waiting on like 15-20 more blurays/boxsets I ordered recently to come in the mail.

Also I bought a 25 pack of blu-ray amaray cases because I'm sick of how many cases in my collection have the spindle broken or otherwise are cracked :argh:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Hedrigall posted:

Oof, I really gotta give my spending a rest. I'm still waiting on like 15-20 more blurays/boxsets I ordered recently to come in the mail.

Also I bought a 25 pack of blu-ray amaray cases because I'm sick of how many cases in my collection have the spindle broken or otherwise are cracked :argh:

Yeah, after reassessing my bank account I'm gonna have to give it a pass, especially as Brisbane cinemas are finally reopening over the next couple of weeks. Will just have to hang out for the Barnes and Noble sale next, I think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is Bamboozled worth a blind buy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

It’s probably Lee’s second or third best movie

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It's an extremely great movie* which hits like a freight train at the current moment in our history. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it during its initial theatrical run when nobody knew what to expect.

*It does feel extremely dated aesthetically in the way that many early 2000s DV movies tend to look & sound; however while I usually despise that stuff on a gut level (I love Richard Linklater but I can't bring myself to watch Tape again), I was very much able to get over it for Bamboozled.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Absolutely pick up Bamboozled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Jaws UHD is gorgeous. Well worth the upgrade considering it's probably one of the top-3 most influential films in my movie-going life and that the previous blu ray I owned cost me like $7.

Edit: And I just caved and ordered the Columbia set. The reviews I read made it seem like basically every disc in there is reference quality and I'm not sure it'll ever be cheaper than it is right now.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 18, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

trdn89 posted:

It's an extremely great movie* which hits like a freight train at the current moment in our history. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it during its initial theatrical run when nobody knew what to expect.

*It does feel extremely dated aesthetically in the way that many early 2000s DV movies tend to look & sound; however while I usually despise that stuff on a gut level (I love Richard Linklater but I can't bring myself to watch Tape again), I was very much able to get over it for Bamboozled.

a very very very strong mix of emotions and draining emotionally.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

The Jaws UHD is gorgeous. Well worth the upgrade considering it's probably one of the top-3 most influential films in my movie-going life and that the previous blu ray I owned cost me like $7.

Edit: And I just caved and ordered the Columbia set. The reviews I read made it seem like basically every disc in there is reference quality and I'm not sure it'll ever be cheaper than it is right now.

I pre-ordered it and my big worry is that it'll drop to like 50 bucks around Black Friday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

I pre-ordered it and my big worry is that it'll drop to like 50 bucks around Black Friday.

Hard to say. It depends on how many they printed and how much they'll be looking to get rid of them come November. I doubt it would drop that much though even for Black Friday considering the full retail price is listed at $160.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
My copy of Artificial Eye's Parasite steelbook arrived through my country's Covid-19 locked down borders.

Featuring former Wales and British & Irish Lions captain Sam Warburton, as my lovely assistant:

The front

The back

The full spread

Inside

Disc 1 is the red one, with the regular version of the film. Disc 2 has the black and white version.

Under disc 1

Under disc 2

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is the B&W version of the movie worth bothering with or is it more of a novelty than anything else?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CPL593H posted:

Is the B&W version of the movie worth bothering with or is it more of a novelty than anything else?

You can probably live comfortably without having it, kind of like the "noir" edition of Logan - it's a fine film as is, and the b&w version is just the director indulging in a bit of their vanity because they can.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The only essential B&W versions I can think of are Fury Road (need both) and The Mist

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lizard Combatant posted:

The only essential B&W versions I can think of are Fury Road (need both) and The Mist

How many other ones are there? From the above posts I didn’t realize they did it with superhero movies too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Mist is a bit of a special case because Darabont wanted to release the film in black and white but the studio refused, so it's not an after the fact curiosity but an actual director's cut. I haven't even seen the color version and I doubt I ever will.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Logan black and white cut is pretty fun, I mean not essential or anything but there are a few standout scenes. The scene at night when the Logan clone comes to the house to kill everyone jumps to mind right away. The lighting felt a lot more dynamic in the black and white version.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The B&W re-edit of Nickelodeon that Bogdanovich did is pretty good, but I think it's stuck to the standard def era unfortunately. That is another case of "the studio wouldn't let them make in black & white" though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Now what are the must have colorized home videos to own.

hahhhhhhhhhhh

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Now what are the must have colorized home videos to own.

hahhhhhhhhhhh

:frogout:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the trippy version of Metropolis is the only acceptable answer to that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did anyone actually like colorization?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes. Ted Turner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like colorization as like a novelty thing to watch once after I've seen a movie a bunch of times already. Like, I enjoyed watching colorized Frankenstein the one time just to see what they did with it but I've seen the movie at least three or four times since then and felt no desire to watch it in color again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ted didn’t even really like it, he just thought it was the only way he could get people below a certain age to watch classic movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Cameo posted:

Ted didn’t even really like it, he just thought it was the only way he could get people below a certain age to watch classic movies.

Considering what we know about boomers, that makes a lot of sense