Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think the fake Candyman is definitely working in Real Candyman's favor because he builds the legend and that's what Candyman survives on. Once the fake one is arrested, a certain portion of the people who feared Candyman are going to forget about him, so he has to figure out a way to resurface in people's minds. He's not unlike Freddy in that way.

The kid knows the guy they arrested isn't the real Candyman but that's just one kid.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
"number 4, step forward and say the line"

*stiff flat delivery* we hear you're looking for Candyman bitch

Always got a laugh out of me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I grew up in the projects and Fake Candyman is a very real kind of guy. Someone using fear and the community's knowledge that help won't come from the outside or the system because of the racism to try and be king and hold power. And he uses the name and rep and image of a feared legend to enhance his rep and gain more juice. And in doing so Real Candyman also gains power and strength. Helen comes into the community and threatens them both by exposing the myth of Real Candyman and the fraud (both as "Candyman" but as "power" of the community) of Fake Candyman. Fake Candyman strikes and Helen pushes back and gets him arrested. Real Candyman needs to strike as well because if Helen can expose Fake Candyman and make it seem like he was the driving force of the myth it threatens Real Candyman. So he tries to corrupt her and make her seem like as much of a threat as the rest of the outsiders and system. Like Fake Candyman uses fear to make himself king, Real Candyman uses fear to make himself the devil. And he nearly succeeds until Helen defies him and gives the community a symbol of hope. And in that Helen's reputation is born and gives her power.

Its not a story of a crazy woman who imagines all this. Don't do that dumb SMG thing. Candyman is a true force, powered by fear and hopelessness. Helen just gets caught up in it and used but he evil forces taking advantage of the system.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

:yeah:

Did you watch the director's cut? I was initially a little put off by the length too even though I like Flanagan, but it was paced well and it didn't feel too long. I found the scene where Danny accepts his 8-year chip at the AA meeting genuinely moving. Agreed on the fan-servicey stuff, especially the blood from the elevator bit which served no purpose other than "hey remember this?".

Unfortunately I rented it VOD and wasn't aware that there was a director's cut that people actually liked out there until after I watched it. Once the bug to watch it again hits me, I'll be checking that version out.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I grew up in the projects and Fake Candyman is a very real kind of guy. Someone using fear and the community's knowledge that help won't come from the outside or the system because of the racism to try and be king and hold power. And he uses the name and rep and image of a feared legend to enhance his rep and gain more juice. And in doing so Real Candyman also gains power and strength. Helen comes into the community and threatens them both by exposing the myth of Real Candyman and the fraud (both as "Candyman" but as "power" of the community) of Fake Candyman. Fake Candyman strikes and Helen pushes back and gets him arrested. Real Candyman needs to strike as well because if Helen can expose Fake Candyman and make it seem like he was the driving force of the myth it threatens Real Candyman. So he tries to corrupt her and make her seem like as much of a threat as the rest of the outsiders and system. Like Fake Candyman uses fear to make himself king, Real Candyman uses fear to make himself the devil. And he nearly succeeds until Helen defies him and gives the community a symbol of hope. And in that Helen's reputation is born and gives her power.

Its not a story of a crazy woman who imagines all this. Don't do that dumb SMG thing. Candyman is a true force, powered by fear and hopelessness. Helen just gets caught up in it and used but he evil forces taking advantage of the system.

I think this raises a more interesting question than is Helen crazy the whole time. You say Candymany has made himself the devil, so just how malicious is real Candyman? He's definitely complicit in allowing fake Candyman to continue the story, but would he be out there killing people to keep the story alive without fake Candyman?
He obviously needs the stories to sustain himself and the easiest way to keep them alive is through fear. But the story of Daniel Robitaille coming back from the grave to stalk Cabrini Green doesn't make any sense. Why would he kill the people there? Shouldn't he be out getting revenge on the ones who killed him?
Did he do that and now he's come home to a place he feels comfortable? That would have been a much better story for a sequel.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guess Candyman is like a reverse Freddy from FvJ.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Crawl just got added to Hulu.

quote:

When a huge hurricane hits her hometown in Florida, Haley ignores evacuation orders to look for her father. After finding him badly wounded, both are trapped by the flood. With virtually no time to escape the storm, they discover that rising water levels are the least of their problems.

It's a fun little horror flick and I think a lot of folks here will like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it in theaters. It’s really fun. Only issue is I wish it was gorier and had a greater body count lol.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Couldn't you read it then, since candyman looks like pimp, named like a drug dealer, and that's what keeps the projects down, and once the hero comes looking, she's corrupted by that too? Or is that too simplistic?

When I first watched candyman, I liked it so much, I watched both sequel immediate. I just thought it was black revenge,and that was new and cool.

I watched it again like last year, and now the projects and environment was much more impactful, and I kinda hated the heroion even more, with her fancy clothes playing around. I guess I see candyman as a hero still..

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 19, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Crawl was much better than I expected! Real fun, loved the chemistry between dad and daughter. Nice to have a horror movie where you really root for the protagonists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
CineD Z-Fest returns this weekend for another 24 hours.

The schedule's just been posted. Tune in for some Z-Grade horror flicks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I never for a second got the impression that the gangster was calling himself Candyman. I always saw it as "he's a guy doing gangster poo poo, now there's this white lady poking around, white ladies are bad for business, club her with a hook and make her run off"

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Skrillmub posted:

I think this raises a more interesting question than is Helen crazy the whole time. You say Candymany has made himself the devil, so just how malicious is real Candyman? He's definitely complicit in allowing fake Candyman to continue the story, but would he be out there killing people to keep the story alive without fake Candyman?
He obviously needs the stories to sustain himself and the easiest way to keep them alive is through fear. But the story of Daniel Robitaille coming back from the grave to stalk Cabrini Green doesn't make any sense. Why would he kill the people there? Shouldn't he be out getting revenge on the ones who killed him?
Did he do that and now he's come home to a place he feels comfortable? That would have been a much better story for a sequel.

Yeah, I think this gestures toward the question of whether he's an rear end in a top hat ghost that just enjoys killing people (ala Freddy), or whether he instead arbitrarily kills people who say his name specifically because that's what the urban legend prescribes that he must do. Did he create the rules and the legend, or does he merely embody them?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crawl is great. it's almost like a Jurassic Park movie the crocs are so primordial and horrifying

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King of Bleh posted:

Yeah, I think this gestures toward the question of whether he's an rear end in a top hat ghost that just enjoys killing people (ala Freddy), or whether he instead arbitrarily kills people who say his name specifically because that's what the urban legend prescribes that he must do. Did he create the rules and the legend, or does he merely embody them?

The latter, probably. It's the same theme as Hellraiser: "You called. We came."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

alf_pogs posted:

Crawl is great. it's almost like a Jurassic Park movie the crocs are so primordial and horrifying

Yeah, it's on Hulu now so everyone should watch it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skrillmub posted:

I don't truly see Candyman and Daniel Robitaille as the same person. I mean, they are but his death and the curse that has come down on him has twisted him into a monster. This is similar to the "good boy" Jason thing. Some of the iconic monsters in horror were monsters from the start like Freddy, Michael, or Chucky and they have an agenda. And some ghosts are specifically seeking revenge to find some kind of peace. But a lot of them are just cursed spirits and twisted ideas who lash out at any bastard unlucky enough to come into the wrong house or pick up a hitch hiker or watch the wrong video or something. Daniel Robitaille was the victim of horrific hate and violence and that evil twisted him and turned him into something that may see itself as seeking revenge but is very much its own monster. Candyman's like any other ghost that was murdered and now lashes out against innocents. Or Jason. He started as a victim and what happened to him is still reflected in what he's become, but what he's become is monstrous and evil.

Whether he enjoys it or not, I don't know. He certainly enjoys the power it grants him. And you can see that as a twisted reflection of his life and death and the helplessness society gave him. Like I said, I think Daniel Robitaille is gone and Candyman is left. And Candyman wants to be Candyman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Candyman is one of those stories where the 100% literal events happening in the film are not quite as coherent or important as the obvious metaphorical meaning they have.

Which explains why Jordan Peele is attached to this new one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I love that the dad wanted to do home repairs in his crawlspace right before/during a hurricane.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Drunkboxer posted:

I love that the dad wanted to do home repairs in his crawlspace right before/during a hurricane.

I thought he was down there specifically for hurricane prep. Shutting off the water, sealing up the vents, that kind of thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Lately I've dusted off my box of shame and started painting some of my Warmahordes minis that have been in a box since I moved a few years ago. I've started putting on Hulu/Blumhouse Into The Dark movies when I do this.

For the most part they're something I can duck in and out of while I alternate between painting and waiting for it to dry. They're pretty shallow and watchable, if not usually good. Most of the time there really is nothing under the hood, so I don't really miss anything. I feel like watching one of these movies is how most people experience other movies.

I just watched the Judy Greer one (Good Boy) last night and it was... not great, but mildly entertaining at least. Mostly because I like her and it had a cute dog. Any ones in particular you'd recommend?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

I thought he was down there specifically for hurricane prep. Shutting off the water, sealing up the vents, that kind of thing.

Yea I mean there was some flimsy reason why he needed to go down there right before the hurricane but whatever, the story needed them to go down there so they went down there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I guess that makes sense. I thought he was just fixing the vents or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just watched the Judy Greer one (Good Boy) last night and it was... not great, but mildly entertaining at least. Mostly because I like her and it had a cute dog. Any ones in particular you'd recommend?

That's about how I'd rate most of them that I've watched so far. They're good for when you have to do something intermittently for an hour and a half and can get away with just listening for parts.

I do kinda like Pooka and Pooka Lives. I do hope they round it out as a trilogy when the apocalypse is over. Pooka Lives isn't nearly as good as the original, and Felicia Day really got on my nerves, so it might not be for everyone.

I remember enjoying The Body, but it's been a minute since I watched that one.

All of the ones I've watched feel like they could have used some more "finishing" to make them better. Like there are decent concepts and usually elements that make me think they're not bad.

For instance School Spirit was sorta The Breakfast Club as a slasher, and although it was predictable, could have used some more gore, and a tightening up of the script. It wouldn't have made it good, but it would have made it better.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Sir Ian Holm kicked the bucket today.

I'll never forget watching Alien as a small kid, too young really, and being totally floored his depiction of Ash the android. I've done a small amount of acting, and can tell you straight out that Holm, not Weaver, was the heavy lifting star of that show.

Even as a boy, I could tell that Ash wasn't right. The unnatural pauses in conversation, the little ticks in logic, Holm gave us something that was but wasn't a man and walking that razor-thin line is loving rough. Then of course we have the reveal, body horror bonanza, and the chilling decapitated speech. For my money Ash's final speech is the best severed head scene ever. Re-Animator, and horror as a whole, owe a lot to this man.

I'll be giving Time Bandits a whirl tonight, with Alien not too far behind it.

Suck my dick 2020.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Working my way through the recommendations I got in this thread and from friends, I think the last thing I posted about was Possession which was incredible. Since then I watched Blood Quantum, which I thought was pretty solid - the colonialism as zombie virus thing was done well, some cool deaths. Now I am starting my day off with Crawl, which is very stupid so far, but that's okay because I expected it to be very stupid.

After I get through this junk food I'll have to go see where we're at in the Director tourney thread.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'll be giving Time Bandits a whirl tonight, with Alien not too far behind it.

"Little things! Hitting each other!"

What a crappy way to start the weekend (Holm dying, not watching Time Bandits).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'll never forget watching Alien as a small kid, too young really, and being totally floored his depiction of Ash the android. I've done a small amount of acting, and can tell you straight out that Holm, not Weaver, was the heavy lifting star of that show.

One of the best things about his performance is the part where he he first throws Signourney Weaver against a wall and the camera pans around his back and pulls back and he looks annoyingly at that wind chime that's making noise, then glares back at Ripley before throwing her towards it. The part where it chimes and he looks at it and then back at her was a completely unintentional thing that happened because the cameraman bumped against the chime while backing down the corridor that they chose to keep in and it rules because Ian Holm rules. Like normally "the cameraman bumps into something" is a goof we laugh at but even though there's no reason other than "the camera bumped into it" for the wind chime to go off, it feels completely organic and creepy when Ash looks up at it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Really loved Antrum, and I think it really helped me going in with the expectation that the actual cursed film isn't necessarily that scary.

I'm no expert on music and photography and stuff but something about it started to remind me of the extremely odd dreamy feelings I got from Stalker. The way they explored the hell out of a seemingly simple bit of landscape and imbued it with creepy magic just clicked for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Severin will be selling Fulci for Fake starting june 26th for preorders. Pretty stoked to watch it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

As a Floridian who’s been in every hurricane for the past few decades, I can tell you last minute prep and people staying during a hurricane when they are told to evacuate is very common and made complete sense.

The implication is that the gators were already down there and nested and he discovered them and got attacked when went down to work on the house. Not too outlandish.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’ve prepared for one Hurricane in my 37 years of living in Florida. (It was the second to most recent one though!)

The unpredictability of hurricanes makes you numb after awhile, stupid as that may seem.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was so good to see Barry Pepper again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was so good to see Barry Pepper again.

Leverage!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yo watching crawl right now and it sucks

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

A VW bug with headlight eyelashes is a better actor than Barry Pepper

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AKZ posted:

Yo watching crawl right now and it sucks

You are wrong and I'm sorry

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

You are wrong and I'm sorry

This movie looks like a SYFY original that plays on a tuesday at 11 am

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I forgot how creepy The Invitation is, it's a fun movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
With Daario Naharis and John Carroll Lynch? I hated that one, except for the final shot.

Watched Crawl and loved it. Haters are wrong.

It's kind of what I hoped that terrible Underwater would be. Wish I had watched Crawl in theaters instead of Underwater.