Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froggeryz
Dec 23, 2008
I just ran into the 27-headed Lernaean hydra in my run and decided to use a phantom mirror on it and, well,

You reflect the 27-headed Lernaean hydra with the mirror, and the mirror
shatters!
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra barely misses the 27-headed Lernaean hydra.
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x2
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra. x4
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x2
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra completely misses the 27-headed Lernaean hydra.
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra!
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra. x2
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra.
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x3
Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra. x3
The 27-headed Lernaean hydra dies!
Okawaru is honoured by your kill.

It died instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of dancing weapons, worshipping Gozag, there's no death message for them, because I guess they turn into gold instead of dropping so at first I was confused wondering wtf it went.

Anyway, one win of the tournament down, and my first Skald win. I think I just have Warper left, but Sequell is down.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Froggeryz posted:

I just ran into the 27-headed Lernaean hydra in my run and decided to use a phantom mirror on it and, well,

It died instantly.

You inspired me to do this exact same thing on my run. Wasn't quite as lucky but basically killed it anyways.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Charun posted:

if they're susceptible to tukima I'm gonna :ughh:

edit- nope, no worky

invis should be doable, always forget about that when I don't have an evokeable for it. Thanks!

They're not susceptible to it directly via some obscure gotcha, they just happen to drop a steady supply of gigantic loving weapons at your feet for you to animate and sit behind, as they have no abilities other than punching so they can't punish you for sitting behind a meatwall. Or standing next to while invis, etc.

It was a a funny idea you only think of after the fact, the default goto for my enchanters is invis, and eventually working up to a decent evasion so you can manfight things in zot 1:1.

edit:vvv oooooh. of course it would. What a terrible change.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 19, 2020

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

modern tukima's only animates weapons your foes are holding, doesn't it?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Has there ever been a player animate weapon spell? I guess Tukima's Dance and Spectral Weapon cover that, but having spell animate every weapon in your inventory or on the floor to spawn a friendly swarm of multiple flying quickblades could be a decent high level charm/hex.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
That was Tukima's Dance Party, a spell from 0.8 that never made it out of trunk, presumably because it was either hilariously strong or completely useless with no inbetween.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 19, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Worthleast posted:

Has there ever been a player animate weapon spell? I guess Tukima's Dance and Spectral Weapon cover that, but having spell animate every weapon in your inventory or on the floor to spawn a friendly swarm of multiple flying quickblades could be a decent high level charm/hex.

Literally yes. Old tukima's animated the wielded weapon, so you could base a midgame build around lugging around every heavy weapon you saw (item weights where still in back then). Ogres animating mass clubs where particularly funny (if hardly optimal) at this. There was even a proposed spell that animated every weapon on the visible floor, but of course that got axed since it sounded far too badass.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It was bound to happen eventually

quote:

1400785 LeastActionHero the Swordmaster (level 27, -10/249 HPs)
Began as a Gnoll Archaeologist on June 17, 2020.
Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
Killed from afar by Toyjoh the pandemonium lord (26 damage)
... with a great icy blast
... on level 1 of the Depths on June 20, 2020.
The game lasted 10:52:58 (91741 turns).

In conclusion, I still have no idea how weapons work. I'd have thought I could kill that guy, alone, from full health with my incredible 52 base damage weapon. Instead he repeatedly ice stormed me while I missed or did barely any damage. Would my other weapons have been better? :shrug:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dark Maul looks great on the surface but the thing about it is it's basically a trap weapon, because it swings really loving slowly. The time it takes between attacks will get you killed eventually, it's just no good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Pretty much any of the other weapons you carried except Vampire's Tooth would have gotten you through that fine(I'd have gone with the Trishula or Punk, personally). Dark Maul is just that bad because of how slow it is. (and vamp tooth is only bad in this situation because you can't drain HP from demonic enemies, although it would be worth swapping to it for Usk parastabs)

Not really sure why you were rocking a +1 scalemail as your endgame armor either. Sure, the resists are nice, but there has to be some setup better than that available if you've cleared extended.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Vampire's Tooth might have been enough to handle it anyway simply by virtue of not getting stuck in place. The timely ability to run away and bravely fight another day should never be underestimated.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The right thing to do would have been to run away effectively much sooner, though he was much faster than me. The scalemail was a nice find, as it was a way to get regen while in lichform without giving up the amulet of faith. I could have gotten like +5 ac if I switched to something highly enchanted. Maybe more if I used all my scroll enchanting some random dragon armour or platemail, but then I'd be dropping my EV by a 10, and giving up level 9 spells?

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought punk or cerebovs sword would actually have been better. I was clearing out levels with one weapon or another for kicks, and I wasn't taking any more damage with the dark maul than anything else. Maybe because I ordinarily took no damage?

Gnolls are kind of exhausting just because everything is potentially an option. Maybe I should play felids for a while.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Put the “run” into “orb run” with this one tip (Orb Guardians hate it!!)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I read that four times as "Darth Maul" and thought there was a big joke about a Lajatang in there somewhere...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, we could include a special jallalalajatang that always glows red and is called the Zabrak when identified.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LeastActionHero posted:

It was bound to happen eventually
In conclusion, I still have no idea how weapons work. I'd have thought I could kill that guy, alone, from full health with my incredible 52 base damage weapon. Instead he repeatedly ice stormed me while I missed or did barely any damage. Would my other weapons have been better? :shrug:

How the hell do you trawl through post-endgame for so long and not know to right click on the weapon to see what it's delay is, spelled out in plain English?!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I know perfectly well what the delay is, and I know how valuable mindelay is on all weapons with a base damage in the range of 0-20. I had been using dark maul more or less successfully since Lair. It's not like I blindly stumbled into killing every other pan lord by chance.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You'll understand our confusion, since you just said, and I quote:

LeastActionHero posted:

I still have no idea how weapons work.

Most people who YOLO an endgame character onto a pan lord at least accept the blame on themselves.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
With mindelay and being hasted would the Maul swing at a normal weapon's speed? I guess what I'm asking is what would it take to swing that heavy boy repeatedly enough to not get creamed while trying to hoist it back up.

Bonus points for having the (gloves?) of the assassin that let you stab with anything...

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Ok, so my next newbie question(s):

I've internalized that I should pick a single weapon skill and train it to mindelay, as spreading yourself between two or more weapon skills is foolishness.

Is this something I should just decided on turn zero "I guess I'll run maces/flails this run, hope I loot one soon"? Or should I let the loot dictate this, ie "here is a pretty badass earlygame axe, I guess it's axes for me". Is the game just big enough + loot common/customizable enough that I don't have to worry that the rng will never give me a decent polearm, etc?

Is there ever a situation where you've been playing maces/flails to exclusion all game, then you see a +9 long sword of murdering midgame, where it's worth switching gears entirely to use that crazygood item?

If I'm playing a caster should I still be leveling a weapon to mindelay first?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 20, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean yes, you get to pick your starting weapon type so it's a good idea to keep on with what you have. That being said, its not unheard of to swap weapon types entirely if some sort of bombtastic item drops. The further you are into the game, the more bombtastic that item has to be to make up for the greater and greater lost xp and painful transition period. Be aware some weapon types "cross-train" with others, eg short blades with long blades, providing a +5 training bonus to the inferior skill - helps a lot with swapping schools. But generally new players tend to over-estimate how special a good (but off-colour) drop is, and 90% of the time you should just stick with what you've got as an on-colour drop is usually around the corner.

For casters, depends utterly on the archtype. For a blasty-mage, absolutely not; you're better running for your life than taking a clumsy swing with a dagger. A blaster-mage's "min-delay" is getting their next big spell to 1% failure and good spellpower. Some hybrids are built around weapon use such as Skalds, Enchanters, or Arcane Marksmen, so obviously they train combat skills but "min delay first" goes out the window as they have to balance xp with support spellcasting.

As an aside, all characters of every stripe will eventually train fighting as it provides HP. Depending on the character "how soon" and "how much" are rather variable.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For melee dudes if I find something particularly murder-y before lair, I'll switch to that weapon type. Past that it's probably not worth it, because this is a game where it's fairly easy to make your own endgame weapon. By mid to late game you have enough scrolls where you can just find a good base weapon type, brand it, and enchant it a bunch and that'll work fine.

For mages I tend to get my main damage spells online, and just pick up whatever is the best weapon on the ground and use that when I run out of mana. Then around lair I'll decide which weapon type to use, and there's usually an obvious answer by that point. Spells still take precedence though, weapons on a caster are mostly for killing weak baby enemies without using mana.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Melee chars generally want to stick with whatever weapon type you started with unless you find something incredible early. If you're an archaeologist and therefore don't start with a weapon skill, either go with what your manual is(if it's a weapon skill manual) or whatever the first decently branded/higher tier weapon you find is. Pretty much all weapon types are guaranteed to have something decent enough for a 3 rune win drop at some point. Top-tier long blades are the rarest, but a great sword/demon blade isn't too hard to find and will do okay.

Mages generally want to use staves as their melee backup - on top of the low skill investment, elemental staves use your spell schools & evo skill to add bonus damage(fire/cold/air/death ignore AC but do check resists, earth just checks AC), and you want to be wielding one eventually anyway. I usually don't worry about training Staves skill until lair branches or Vaults-ish.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 20, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

With mindelay and being hasted would the Maul swing at a normal weapon's speed? I guess what I'm asking is what would it take to swing that heavy boy repeatedly enough to not get creamed while trying to hoist it back up.

Bonus points for having the (gloves?) of the assassin that let you stab with anything...
With 27 M&F, swinging the Dark Maul takes 1.7 turns 50% of the time, 1.6 turns 50% of the time. With haste it should take either 1.2 turns (about 50% of the time) or 1.1 turns but I'm getting different behavior in wizmode (as low as 0.9 turns which seems plain wrong). FSIM gives average of 1.1 turns rather than 1.15 that I was expecting.

In 0.25 it is the hood of the assassin (hat slot) and it makes your attacks backstab like short blades. Obviously with Dark Maul most things die in one hit without stabbing bonus...

Speleothing posted:

Only glowing/runed weapons can have a +/-

Just in case that got missed in all the other discussion. If the weapon isn't blue (magic) or bright white (artefact), then there's no need to check it for bonuses.
Is this gooncrawl only? In 0.25 plain appearing weapons can be e.g. -2 cursed.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2020

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I tend to lean towards maces&flails for a backup weapon for classes that aren't melee focused because they tend to have lower min delay requirements and better base stats than other weapon types, though if you find a good randart or something early just go with that instead probably.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You know, I used to think that the assassin boots change in trunk was bad and dumb but now I just realised it means that ogres can get GSC stabs.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
Sorry if this is a stupid question - does anyone know how to, in the online version, check a list of what starts/classes/etc. you've won with? Or just dump total wins? I'm shooting for all starts/classes/gods and want to know what I'm missing, since it's sometimes months (or years) between getting back into the game.

Was't there, like, an achievement or something for doing something similar? Greatplayers list?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Your morgue page has a chart that keeps track. Gooncrawl is kept track of here. You can get to your mainline crawl morgue by clicking on your player name in the chat box. Other branches may or may not have a sever-run morgue, depending on which server you play on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haifisch posted:

Your morgue page has a chart that keeps track. Gooncrawl is kept track of here. You can get to your mainline crawl morgue by clicking on your player name in the chat box. Other branches may or may not have a sever-run morgue, depending on which server you play on.

Win Percentage posted:

6.72%
:negative:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, that's still 6.7% higher than I can ever manage, don't feel bad.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Oh wow, didn't know this was being tracked...
lol 808 games, guess those O-tab games I was only half paying attention to add up oops

Also, just got my very first ever rune! Did a tele out of some trouble, and ended up right next to it. Managed to survive grabbing it and getting off another tele.

Not going to Elf yet probably helped, but I enjoy slaughtering elves so much.. mayb just the first level, i'll be careful

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

wtf

quote:

x - the amulet "Nofap" {Harm *Drain rPois}.

It is an ancient artefact.

It increases damage dealt and taken.
It protects you from poison.
It causes draining when unequipped.

You took it off a deep elf knight on level 2 of the Elven Halls.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

kaschei posted:

Is this gooncrawl only? In 0.25 plain appearing weapons can be e.g. -2 cursed.

Plain weapons can be cursed and have negative bonuses, but only glowing/etc can have positive bonuses

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baby delivery truck posted:

Plain weapons can be cursed and have negative bonuses, but only glowing/etc can have positive bonuses

Which is dumb btw. Don't punish me for finding an mace while I skill up to use the flail game!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's apparently rare enough that I don't think I've ever actually seen it happen, although that might just come from generally not bothering with anything that doesn't scan as obviously magical in the first place.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm old enough to remember pre-boot knife era Crawl where you couldn't butcher a monster unless you had an edged weapon so you'd grab a random dagger or something and lol it's cursed, gently caress you

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeesh, yeah, I imagine that would stick with you... pun entirely intended, lol. Got lucky with that, I guess, or at least I don't remember ever getting hosed over by it. I've been playing this game since it was still Linley Henzell's Dungeon Crawl as well, so it's nice to see some of the other old-timers around.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was only screwed over by having a cursed non-edged weapon once or twice in the ~400 or so games during that time period, specifically due to not being able to butcher and I was running out of food. Makes for a good story but I don't miss the tedium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my "favorite" old crawl story is starving to death as a spriggan because roving packs of harpies would steal and eat your bread rations :( those bastards