Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

So lets say I can conconvince Spectrum to upgrade me to their gigabit plan for next to nothing, and I currently have the Arris TM1602A, what would be the best gigabit from their approved list (assuming they don't just send me one, or if I can request one):

Arris SBG8300
Netgear CAX80
Netgear CM1000v2
Netgear CM1100
Netgear CM1200

Does Spectrum in your area charge $5/mo to lease you one that has wifi? If so, get a modem-only (well, I think they're all technically eMTAs now) modem from Spectrum and buy your own router (this thread can help recommend one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Trabant posted:

Popping in for some help, again, please, because I have a weird thing happening. Here's my home network:

code:

ISP 
          (gigabit fiber)
                 |
                 |
            wired router 
           (Ubiquiti ER-X)
              /         \
             /           \
        desktop       wireless router 
                      (ASUS RT-N56U)
                            |
                            |
                         laptop

It seems that when I run some SQL scripts from my work laptop, it does ~*something*~ which causes the wired router to become completely unresponsive. The internet for the entire home dies, both wifi and wired, and I can't even reach the ER-X router through my desktop. The only solution is to cycle the power on the ER-X.

This doesn't happen every time nor for every SQL script, but it sure as hell seems to happen when I start queries. It never happens when I'm only using my personal desktop. I'll be doing some testing this weekend to see if I can replicate it with any consistency.

But so that I know if I'm completely insane: is this even possible? Could the router be having some kind of... I don't know, allergic loving reaction to the SQL code? Is it the spike in network traffic? What would you be looking for if you were trying to test this out?

Trabant posted:

The only computer I run SQL from is the work laptop, so that shouldn't be it (if I understood your question). But if I need to check those multiple-connection settings on the laptop, I'm all ears.

It's a fairly vanilla MS SQL Server connection to a company server through our VPN, at least to the best of my understanding.

1) Where is your VPN client running?
2) Do you have hwnat enabled on the ER-X?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

astral posted:

1) Where is your VPN client running?
2) Do you have hwnat enabled on the ER-X?

1) It's a utility running on the work laptop.

2) I do:

e: originally enabled via the console, not GUI

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KKKLIP ART posted:

So lets say I can conconvince Spectrum to upgrade me to their gigabit plan for next to nothing, and I currently have the Arris TM1602A, what would be the best gigabit from their approved list (assuming they don't just send me one, or if I can request one):

Arris SBG8300
Netgear CAX80
Netgear CM1000v2
Netgear CM1100
Netgear CM1200

Assuming Amazon's stock hasn't changed, I tried ordering the SBG8300 on Tuesday, and they were looking at new shipments of those not arriving until July. I got the CM1200 for $20 more.

edit: Correction, I was ordering an SBG8200. I also prefer to not have my wifi and modem in the same box, so CM1200 it was.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 19, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

astral posted:

Does Spectrum in your area charge $5/mo to lease you one that has wifi? If so, get a modem-only (well, I think they're all technically eMTAs now) modem from Spectrum and buy your own router (this thread can help recommend one).

I mean I already have Spectrum and a USG3 / AP Lite, so the networking equipment wasnt the issue, just the fact that I would need a new modem. And they foot the bill for the rental, which is nice. They shot me down for the free upgrade anyway, so it is a moot point.

E: Is there a non unifi switch that can power an AP AC-Lite or three? I don't mind not having my switch out of the Unifi ecosystem and don't need any fancy stuff like VLANS

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 19, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment and I'm wondering what wifi solutions I should consider to get a good signal from my router (X) to my PC (Y):

I'm on a 500 mbit package from my ISP, so I'd like something that can manage near that speed via wifi. Does anyone have suggestions which products to consider?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I'm trying to figure out an issue I'm having with my Archer C7 that's causing the 2.4 ghz network on it to slow to a crawl (below 1mbps on a 300 mbps connection, to be clear). LAN always gives me what I'd expect and the 5Ghz network seems to keep chugging along while this is happening. Resetting seems to fix it for a little while but it always comes back after some time.

My setup is basically isp modem --> c7 --> a couple of devices and aps. The ap networks work fine as well, so I'm pretty sure its something specifically with the C7. Could it be that the 2.4Ghz radio is dying? How could I check that?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment and I'm wondering what wifi solutions I should consider to get a good signal from my router (X) to my PC (Y):

I'm on a 500 mbit package from my ISP, so I'd like something that can manage near that speed via wifi. Does anyone have suggestions which products to consider?

So maintaining 500mbit over WiFi is a tall order, especially if any walls are in play.

In general, with 802.11ac, good speeds with walls is anything above 250mbps. For example, I have a two story home and my devices get about 285mbps from just about anywhere (3-node Netgear Orbi RBR50 setup).

You could spring for a WiFi 6 compatible setup like the RBR850 (AX6000 chipset). That might get you a little more but you’re still dealing with physics - i.e. walls are still gonna mess you up. Nevermind the fact that the RBR850 is like $800 for a router + satellite and sold out most places.

Assuming you can’t run hardwire somehow, I would get something like the Orbi RBR50 (802.11ac). The one advantage you get there is it uses multiple 5GHz radios on the backend as the backhaul to eek out a little more performance.

For example, my setup looks like:

- EdgeRouter 4 — via hardwire cat6a —> Orbi A
- Orbi A — via wireless backhaul —> Orbi B
- Orbi B — via hardwire cat6a —> Alienware desktop

That setup gets me in the 360-400mbps range. If used the WiFi NIC in the Alienware desktop instead, it’d get around 300mbps. You *might* eek out an extra 50-100mbps with the more expensive WiFi 6 routers but I don’t think it’s worth it.

Also - keep in mind that most things you do don’t require much more than 100mbps outside of straight up downloading bigass files. Streaming 4K UHD content is <50mbps and latency matters more in gaming than raw speed.

TL;DR: Get something like the Netgear Orbis that has a dedicated wireless backhaul if you’re trying to maximize speed - you’ll get around 350-400mbps depending on placement and what the walls are made of. Google’s Nest WiFi or the Eero products don’t have the dedicated backhaul.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ok but seriously is there any recommendations for a USB wifi adapter that doesn't suck

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Ok but seriously is there any recommendations for a USB wifi adapter that doesn't suck

Generally Asus WiFi adapters are a good bet: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Adapters-Products/

If it’s stationary, get something with full blown antennas like the USB-AC68. I have the variant of that that is PCI-E (PCE-AC68) and it’s a solid device.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dick Nipples posted:

Generally Asus WiFi adapters are a good bet: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Adapters-Products/

If it’s stationary, get something with full blown antennas like the USB-AC68. I have the variant of that that is PCI-E (PCE-AC68) and it’s a solid device.

Man I'm reading reviews and they all talk about random disconnects and just not seeing the network anymore..does no one make a reliable USB one? I find these complaints all the time

I had a RNX-N600UBE before and it was great but it does after like 10 years of use and I'm trying to find something like it

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 19, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Man I'm reading reviews and they all talk about random disconnects and just not seeing the network anymore..does no one make a reliable USB one? I find these complaints all the time

I had a RNX-N600UBE before and it was great but it does after like 10 years of use and I'm trying to find something like it

Ya - unfortunately I can’t speak specifically to the USB ones. I haven’t used one in 10+ years at this point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO you're never going to have a totally reliable USB adapter because of the multiple USB standards and lovely chipsets that currently populate the USB dominion.

On a laptop you're definitely better off with a mini-PCIe solution if your laptop has a slot for one; with desktops you gotta go with a PCIe card. Intel makes the best WiFi hardware IMHO.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't had good luck with USB adapters. They're always so drat flaky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Get one from Amazon and keep the packaging. If it shits the bed return it as defective and make amazon pick it up. It's hidden behind a "show more return options". UPS will come right to your door and pick it up. Update to latest firmware and drivers but fail fast - those products continue to exist because people put up with it. Returning it as defective costs the manufacturer a mountain of money from Amazon.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

H110Hawk posted:

make amazon pick it up. It's hidden behind a "show more return options".

:catstare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Only works for things that are their fault. Otherwise it's $15.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I almost think that the best thing to do for good Wifi is to scavenge an Intel wireless adapter like an 8625 or some poo poo, throw it into a mini-PCIe to USB enclosure, and then drill holes for stupid big antennas.

Just another project I intend to work on..... one of these days....

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Garrand posted:

Kind of a tough one with the limited troubleshooting capabilities of ISP routers. If this device is eating up the DHCP pool it still shouldn't effect the desktop as long as it's connected since the router will just keep giving it the same address forever. Once the pool runs out it just rejects new device requests. This device may also be trying to set it's own IP addressing apart from DHCP for some reason. Do you have any smart tvs on the network at all? Those are notorious for just grabbing and keeping IP addresses forever, often holding onto multiple addresses at a time because they suck.

If it is actually an IP conflict, the best way to tell would be to ARP ping the IP address from another device when the desktop is acting up. I don't know what your other devices are but it doesn't look like there's a good way to do it in windows without downloading third party software. The reason I say ARP ping specifically is that all devices have to respond to ARP whereas a lot of devices will ignore regular pings (windows devices have ICMP responses disabled by default).

Without downloading third party software, you could do this, from another (windows) device:
arp -d //clears the arp table
ping [ip address of desktop] //see if anything responds
arp -a //shows the arp table, see if you see a mac address for the ip in question and if it actually matches the mac from the desktop

if one of those other devices does happen to be linux it may have arping in it (or it can easily be installed) where you just run it like a normal ping so
arping [ip address]
and that's it. See if some other unexpected device responds.

So it happened again... from the other machine, ping responds and the arp table mac addresses indeed matches the desktop

I physically unplugged the desktop afterwards and plugged it back in, and that also resolved the problem

Weird :\

I'm now wondering whether it's a software problem on the desktop itself, although I have no idea what could cause that either

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 20, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Revisiting my ideas for getting wired Ethernet to my living room, opinion check on two options:

Scenario: My living room / TV area basically is right above the fireplace which actually juts out over the edge of my house, deleting any easy access from the garage below.

1. The PO already had a low-voltage guy add a cable jack to feed the TV, which I discovered he basically did outside the house already. Punched a hole in the stucco outside the garage, and then underneath the fireplace. It’s not in a conduit, just bare RG whatever. I could MoCA this to a little switch and then feed all my devices, but that’s too easy. Since the dude already knocked holes in the exterior, thinking about just following this path, but adding a conduit (PVC or metal?) that I’ll run the cable inside.

2. Knock some holes in drywall in a closet, try to bring up runs from the garage, run under a cabinet, knock out two more holes in the wall, an old fireplace wall and then end up where I need.

Number 2 is all interior which is appealing but is a lot of hole punching to get stuff where I need it to go. Number 1 is outside but it already did the work of putting a goddamned exterior hole in, and if I add conduit, I should be able to use my Monoprice Cat6 solid core (right?).

In either case, I think I want to run 6-8 drops to feed an AP, at least a TV and ATV and then spares for future stuff like consoles. What size conduit should I be looking at for that (plus I guess I’ll keep a coax in there).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It would have been nice to know beforehand that the Dream Machine requires you to have a UI account to set it up. Cool, so we're DRMing our loving gateways now, is it? That won't ever go wrong if Ubiquity goes out of business or something.

Thing is loving going back and I'm getting the old Edgemax + Unifi AP combo again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It would have been nice to know beforehand that the Dream Machine requires you to have a UI account to set it up. Cool, so we're DRMing our loving gateways now, is it? That won't ever go wrong if Ubiquity goes out of business or something.

Thing is loving going back and I'm getting the old Edgemax + Unifi AP combo again.

That does sound obnoxious, but apparently they've already promised to fix it.

Disturbingly, however, the official comment by Ubiquiti which allegedly said this was in a thread that is a dead link now: https://community.ui.com/questions/...62-8cc6688f2d81

movax
Aug 30, 2008

astral posted:

That does sound obnoxious, but apparently they've already promised to fix it.

Disturbingly, however, the official comment by Ubiquiti which allegedly said this was in a thread that is a dead link now: https://community.ui.com/questions/...62-8cc6688f2d81

Putting in a UDM-Pro at my parents’ place in a few weeks... will trip report on how that goes. Definitely going to end up with two controllers in the short term, but I guess with one login you can choose between sites?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't buy Ubiquiti to continually diddle with poo poo, I buy it because when new wifi tech comes out, I just swap out the AP and otherwise it will run until the heat death of the universe.

God, why would I ever willingly tell relatives that I can fix their wifi remotely, might as well shove fish tape up my urethra. Both equally painful but at least with the fish tape I might clear a kidney stone or two.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Google wifi helps me out by letting me see their ap's remotely. Means when my inlaws complain that their internet is slow I can just tell them to plug back in the kitchen puck or to call frontier because I can't get to anything.

If it requires an on-site visit and I arrive around 4:30pm or later my father-in-law will instinctively offer me a gin and tonic. Win win.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone here have any experience with running Unifi controller on a Raspberry Pi? Considering double-purposing my Pi-Hole to save a buck. Strongly leaning that way if the Cloud Key 2 demands a UI.com login as well.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 21, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with running Unifi controller on a Raspberry Pi? Considering double-purposing my Pi-Hole to save a buck. Strongly leaning that way if the Cloud Key 2 demands a UI.com login as well.

My one concern would be RAM usage, just double check you have enough to go around. I am running both but not really using the pi-hole. I do have some of the logging turned on, I could try nuking those logs and seeing if that helps. I also have openvpn and deluge running.

pre:
[hawk@nucaduck ~]$ ps -u 1000 fu
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
1000      2914  0.7  9.4 3674432 349512 ?      Ssl  May10 431:22 java -Xmx1024M -jar /usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar start
1000      2968  1.4 12.4 1733632 459388 ?      Sl   May10 888:20  \_ bin/mongod --dbpath /usr/lib/unifi/data/db --port 27117 --unixSocketPrefix /usr/lib/unifi/run --logappend --logpath /usr/lib/unifi/log
[hawk@nucaduck ~]$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3697624     1839344      257800        1452     1600480     1611472
Swap:       3842044     1123780     2718264

Edit: per below I am using docker and some sketchy public repo for both pi-hole and unifi controller. I use macvlan to isolate them from the host OS userland.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 21, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can also easily run a controller in Docker if you have anything doing that already. Runs great on my Synology NAS.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It ran fine on my Pi until it didn't, seems like it sometimes doesn't like being run off SD card.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

KKKLIP ART posted:

It ran fine on my Pi until it didn't, seems like it sometimes doesn't like being run off SD card.

Yeah. Mine did that when the SD card filled up. I'm running it off a bigger card and doing the log2ram thing. Works fine except for the time it didn't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wacky Delly posted:

Yeah. Mine did that when the SD card filled up. I'm running it off a bigger card and doing the log2ram thing. Works fine except for the time it didn't.

H110Hawk posted:

My one concern would be RAM usage, just double check you have enough to go around. I am running both but not really using the pi-hole. I do have some of the logging turned on, I could try nuking those logs and seeing if that helps. I also have openvpn and deluge running.

pre:
[hawk@nucaduck ~]$ ps -u 1000 fu
1000      2914  0.7  9.4 3674432 349512 ?      Ssl  May10 431:22 java -Xmx1024M -jar /usr/lib/unifi/lib/ace.jar start
1000      2968  1.4 12.4 1733632 459388 ?      Sl   May10 888:20  \_ bin/mongod --dbpath /usr/lib/unifi/data/db --port 27117 --unixSocketPrefix /usr/lib/unifi/run --logappend --logpath /usr/lib/unifi/log
[hawk@nucaduck ~]$ free
Mem:        3697624     1839344      257800        1452     1600480     1611472
Swap:       3842044     1123780     2718264
Edit: per below I am using docker and some sketchy public repo for both pi-hole and unifi controller. I use macvlan to isolate them from the host OS userland.

Sounds like as long as I use the 8 GB version and a sufficiently large SD card, I should be fine, should probably still be cheaper than a Cloudkey 2, right?

edit: wrong. $75 for the Rpi 8 GB before anything else.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 21, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I had the same experience. One day I'd go to access the controller or ssh into the Pi to discover the whole thing was dead. In one case I was able to revive the SD card but I had to flatten and restore several times.

Some people use free/cheap VPS instances but security aside, I'd be worried about accidentally killing my WAN connection. Seems like it would be just like changing your settings over wifi and accidentally making your APs unreachable, not that I would know :kiddo:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like as long as I use the 8 GB version and a sufficiently large SD card, I should be fine, should probably still be cheaper than a Cloudkey 2, right?

And I'm using a nuc. Note how much ram is in mine - not much.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pi Hole chat is probably a good time for me to ask... I’d rather not use a Pi as my DNS server. Any equivalent that can run on the ER-4?

I have an ESXi host as well that I’m bringing up but part of the idea of me getting an ER-4 was to divorce network functions from another host. But if a container (podman!) and secondary DNS is the way to go then...so be it I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

Pi Hole chat is probably a good time for me to ask... I’d rather not use a Pi as my DNS server. Any equivalent that can run on the ER-4?

I have an ESXi host as well that I’m bringing up but part of the idea of me getting an ER-4 was to divorce network functions from another host. But if a container (podman!) and secondary DNS is the way to go then...so be it I guess.

PiHole runs on anything if you use this docker stuff: https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/blob/master/README.md . I don't own any RPi's. It does churn disk though just like the unifi controller, so make sure you are writing to sturdy media.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

movax posted:

You could use nextdns.io as your resolver as configured by the ER-4. That's what I'm using - I'm quite happy with it. Though my setup is a little more complex as I'm using a separate appliance to act as a DNS forwarder via unbound so that I can force DNS-over-TLS.

That's the main thing missing with EdgeRouters for me - no builtin DNS-over-TLS. Makes me sad.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean I'm running on a RPi 3B+ which only has a gig of ram and haven't noticed any problems with pihole and the controller running. Here's my readout:

pre:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ps -u 1000 fu
pi        6853  0.1  0.3  12236  3644 ?        S    18:26   0:00 sshd: pi@pts/0
pi        6856  3.4  0.3   8488  3716 pts/0    Ss   18:26   0:00  \_ -bash
pi        6868  0.0  0.2   9788  2532 pts/0    R+   18:26   0:00      \_ ps -u 1
pi        6836  1.5  0.6  14596  6660 ?        Ss   18:26   0:00 /lib/systemd/sy
pi        6839  0.0  0.3  36356  3036 ?        S    18:26   0:00  \_ (sd-pam)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ free
Mem:         999028      410024       40652       47816      548352      475960
Swap:        102396       26368       76028

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I run my PiHole on a 1B+ without issue (last reboot was Feb). If anything, it's too reliable so I forget keep on top of updates. It now emails me whenever there's raspbian updates, I just need to do the same for the Pi-Hole software itself.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I'm running some ethernet from my office to the basement - there's a (finished) stretch in my basement through which I haven't been able to feed cable fish line. However, I noticed that there is an unused piece of coax cable that is fed through this stretch.

Is there a ethernet-to-coax adapter I could use to run through this stretch? Or would I be better off really taping a piece of ethernet cable to the coax cable and pulling it through? The coax cable feels pretty loose and easy to pull back and forth through the stretch so this might work.

EDIT: Most of the poo poo I see looks pretty expensive - I think I'll just pull the cable through using the coax.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

pocket pool posted:

I'm running some ethernet from my office to the basement - there's a (finished) stretch in my basement through which I haven't been able a cable fish line. However, I noticed that there is an unused piece of coax cable that is fed through this stretch.

Is there a ethernet-to-coax adapter I could use to run through this stretch? Or would I be better off really taping a piece of ethernet cable to the coax cable and pulling it through? The coax cable feels pretty loose and easy to pull back and forth through the stretch so this might work.

EDIT: Most of the poo poo I see looks pretty expensive - I think I'll just pull the cable through using the coax.

You can do either. For the coax, I believe you'd need a pair of MOCA adapters to make it work, and if that coax is connected to the outside you'd need a filter to go between the outside connection and your house.