Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Heart of the enemy is bugged (at least on PS4) and you can repeat it as many times as you want for 100 caps/8 script every time. Last I checked it bugged out scorchbeast bodies so you can collect dna from already dead scorchbeast corpses every time you start the daily over too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I'm going to start Fallout 3, which I have never played before (but I loved Fallout 1 and 2 and am wrapping up new vegas which I LOVED so I'm not totally new to this series).

I just had a quick question of what build I should start with/what I should pile points into for SPECIAL, etc. I always tend to go heavy on speech and such because I like the non-violent solutions and alt dialogue options if I can, but I don't know the Fallout 3 character development tree. Like what perks should I get first? What differences from New Vegas should I be prepared for?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Floodixor posted:

I'm going to start Fallout 3, which I have never played before (but I loved Fallout 1 and 2 and am wrapping up new vegas which I LOVED so I'm not totally new to this series).

I just had a quick question of what build I should start with/what I should pile points into for SPECIAL, etc. I always tend to go heavy on speech and such because I like the non-violent solutions and alt dialogue options if I can, but I don't know the Fallout 3 character development tree. Like what perks should I get first? What differences from New Vegas should I be prepared for?

drat dude if you're going to Fallout 3 from New Vegas you're in for a rough time, specially with weapon/build options

Finesse at lvl 10 is just as good as expected
Black Widow if you're a woman is good, since most enemies are male
avoid Swift Learner since you gonna get vomited XP through the game
Educated early on can make you snowball skillpoints pretty fast, get it at lvl 4

frajaq fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 15, 2020

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I think I’m finally at a point in the game where I have almost every kind of weapon I want. Explosive .50 caliber, explosive tesla shotgun. Two explosive double barrels, one that’s a two shot and another that’s instigating. Now I just need to make the perfect melee weapon!

https://youtu.be/nqdsdCPc1vA

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Go for like 8 points in Intelligence, and straight to Rivet City as soon as you leave the vault to get the bobblehead, and you'll max out your SPECIAL by the level cap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this game still terrible? I bought it right when it came out and gave it like 5 hours and haven't picked it back up since.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

KillHour posted:

Is this game still terrible? I bought it right when it came out and gave it like 5 hours and haven't picked it back up since.

I like it, but I enjoyed fallout 3 and 4. It works and doesn't have a lot of the issues that made it unplayable anymore.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

IUG posted:

Go for like 8 points in Intelligence, and straight to Rivet City as soon as you leave the vault to get the bobblehead, and you'll max out your SPECIAL by the level cap.

Explain, please. Also if it's like cheating the game, I don't want nt want to do it that way. I like by the book but doing it smart. I just know that there were some points and perks that really weren't worth putting anything into, ever, and boy I'd LOVE TO AVOID THOSE

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Floodixor posted:

Explain, please. Also if it's like cheating the game, I don't want nt want to do it that way. I like by the book but doing it smart. I just know that there were some points and perks that really weren't worth putting anything into, ever, and boy I'd LOVE TO AVOID THOSE

Going straight to Rivet City is extreme powergaming to get one extra point of SPECIAL, I don't recommend it. The point is that Intelligence is by far the best stat in Fallout 3, and your build must have it at either 9 or 10. The "Educated" perk is also extremely good, it amounts to an extra 75 skill points.

Don't take any of the skill-increasing perks like "Little Leaguer", because you'll be able to get all the skills that matter to 100 anyway.

Tagging Explosives and Repair will be extremely helpful for a couple early game quests.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MarshyMcFly posted:

I think I’m finally at a point in the game where I have almost every kind of weapon I want. Explosive .50 caliber, explosive tesla shotgun. Two explosive double barrels, one that’s a two shot and another that’s instigating. Now I just need to make the perfect melee weapon!

https://youtu.be/nqdsdCPc1vA

Don't stress about getting a perfect melee weapon because unless they changed cursed weapons, the cursed pickaxe from the wendigo collosuss boss fight will be the best melee weapon in the game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A potentially fun mystery was found and bits related to it were datamined. Some of it seems related to Cabot house and the interloper

necrofin
Dec 26, 2009
You know you're an addict, a gaming junkie when you have a week and a half to just chill at a beautiful summerhouse in great weather, can go fishing and do whatever uh.. outside activities people do in nature, but all you can think of is your next camp plan, character build and what guns you want/how annoying it's gonna be to roll everything just right and how much scrip/bullion you are losing not being able to log in! (weekly caps plox).

Worst part is I don't even really have a valid gameplay/progress related reason to do it, I just want to see myself how much I can break the game.

Anyway, here's my new phone wp.. I'll just stare at it wistfully.

ps. Hey Tenz, sorry I can't annoy you in steam for a bit by posting essays (I didn't really get that out of hand.. yet) while you just try to prob chill in Stardew. :v:

necrofin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 16, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I've only been playing this for the past few weeks and I just finished the wastelanders quest over the weekend. I amassed enough treasury notes to cap out Saturday and Sunday, but now I seem to not be getting any any more, is there only a chance to get notes from public events, not a guarantee? I did 4 or 5 events last night and 3 this morning and still have 0 notes to turn in at the gold machine.

The daily caps seem way too low considering I have a stash full of legendaries waiting to for the scrip machine, and a full inventory as well. If I can't even get my 200 bullion per day because I am getting unluckly, and I can't pick up any more legendaries or scrap because I don't have room for them, then I'm losing my motivation to even log in. I prefer to the events to the daily quests because the dailies are the exact same drat thing every day with more loading screen time than gameplay.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

necrofin posted:

You know you're an addict, a gaming junkie when you have a week and a half to just chill at a beautiful summerhouse in great weather, can go fishing and do whatever uh.. outside activities people do in nature, but all you can think of is your next camp plan, character build and what guns you want/how annoying it's gonna be to roll everything just right and how much scrip/bullion you are losing not being able to log in! (weekly caps plox).

Worst part is I don't even really have a valid gameplay/progress related reason to do it, I just want to see myself how much I can break the game.

Anyway, here's my new phone wp.. I'll just stare at it wistfully.

ps. Hey Tenz, sorry I can't annoy you in steam for a bit by posting essays (I didn't really get that out of hand.. yet) while you just try to prob chill in Stardew. :v:

Break your screen addiction a bit and enjoy outside

Walk around and pick up some trash and pretend you're playing fallout76?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

I've only been playing this for the past few weeks and I just finished the wastelanders quest over the weekend. I amassed enough treasury notes to cap out Saturday and Sunday, but now I seem to not be getting any any more, is there only a chance to get notes from public events, not a guarantee? I did 4 or 5 events last night and 3 this morning and still have 0 notes to turn in at the gold machine.

The daily caps seem way too low considering I have a stash full of legendaries waiting to for the scrip machine, and a full inventory as well. If I can't even get my 200 bullion per day because I am getting unluckly, and I can't pick up any more legendaries or scrap because I don't have room for them, then I'm losing my motivation to even log in. I prefer to the events to the daily quests because the dailies are the exact same drat thing every day with more loading screen time than gameplay.
treasury notes only come from public events, ie the events that are free to travel to with the little exclamation on em. these would include things like Tea Time (2 notes), Scorched Earth (4 notes), Heart of the Swamp (3 notes) etc

you can also get 9 notes a day by doing the raider daily (3 notes), the settler daily (3 notes) and the overseer daily photograph quest (3 notes)

all other quests and events, like Bots on Parade, Powering Up, Enclave events, or any event that you have to pay caps to travel to, do not award treasury notes

why they did this is a loving mystery of bad game design decisions

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

CapnBry posted:

is there only a chance to get notes from public events, not a guarantee? I did 4 or 5 events last night and 3 this morning and still have 0 notes to turn in at the gold machine.

The events that reward notes have an exclamation point in the middle of the yellow hexagon on the map.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

all other quests and events, like Bots on Parade, Powering Up, Enclave events, or any event that you have to pay caps to travel to, do not award treasury notes
why they did this is a loving mystery of bad game design decisions
Ohhhhhh now that makes sense. I did Enclave: Bots on Parade, Enclave: A Real Blast, Powering up Thunder Mountain, and The Messenger, Manhunt, Protest March, and Alpha Horde. Now that you guys have pointed it out like 8 times I finally put my glasses on and realized none of these have an exclamation mark in the hexagon. Well this is even more ridiculous than I thought if not every event can earn you notes.

EDIT: I just server bounced until I came across one that had an event with the exclamation on it and I got notes. Hooray! Except not so great due to how few events there actually are once you exclude all those others.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 16, 2020

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Really I wish they would make other events and dailies give notes, even if just like 1 each for things like Enclave or BoS events. Kinda lame since sometimes you can get on a server that just doesn’t have public events spawning.

necrofin
Dec 26, 2009
If you want events, install the chat mod from nexusmods (+SFE).. people are constantly asking players to join various better (scrip, high level, more fun) events like Radiation Rumble, Encryptid and Project Paradise, you just have to deal with the clunky Fo76 social interface, but the mod is fully configurable in appearance and function.. I can't check atm, but it might have friend invites built in now.

It's also great for trading and occasional freebie resources or gear.

necrofin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So like the chat mod is an irc type of thing? It doesn't like load to the server does it?

necrofin
Dec 26, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

So like the chat mod is an irc type of thing? It doesn't like load to the server does it?

It has server crossing global, but it only works when you load onto an ingame server first. It does have local server proximity chat as well as global trade-, clan chat and party chat (/help or /nhelp to configure ingame).

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/151

It needs SFE to run just like the perk loadout manager mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/287

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I've switched from Unyielding/Bloodied to a PA Heavy Gunner / Vanguard full health build and I'm having a loving blast. Storming West-Tek and face tanking the mutants while you shred them with a .50 cal is great fun.

Or just standing in front of the Queen, unloading into her face while she does gently caress all damage to you. I've done 10 SBQ fights so far and I died once because I forgot to keep an eye on my radiation levels. :bravo:

Plus, the friggin fast travel bug does not seem to exist when you are not playing a bloodied build. 2 days and haven't had it once where usually I would have to try 2-3 times for it to work. Amazing coding there...

Only thing I'm missing is the absurd carry weight in Unyielding at 10% health but eh, less hoarding. :D

And they've added Trading Cards on Steam.

Switching builds every now and again really brings back the fun.

necrofin
Dec 26, 2009
Yep, I run Excavator PA with all the carry mods, 425 cap.. only event where I could use more tank is Encryptid. SBQ is a joke from tanking perspective, so I am eventually gonna switch to Bloodied from Junkies for her only pmuch because I really would like to see the hp bar move even ever so slightly from my dmg input, so I don't have to feel like what I'm doing has no impact on the fight whatsoever. -_-

Every normal mob I'm already one shotting or roasting in seconds without problems, including the other event bosses except maybe fakesquatch.. but at least my dmg input makes a difference on that fight (and stimpak spam keeps me alive np if I keep moving).

I have semifunctional stealth fixer build as well, when I don't feel particularly stompy.

They really did a number on PA usability didn't they? Even with half my points in weight reduction I would not be able go on looting spree anywhere in any other PA.

Beth can shove those atoms only scrapping kits up where the nuke glow doesn't shine.

necrofin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 16, 2020

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I just beat New Vegas for the first time and it was so so good. So I'm now going to play Fallout 3 for the first time. I was curious if anyone had any mods they thought were must-have for overall experience?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tale of Two Wastelands or you're likely to be disappointed, really. Turn FO3 into a massive expansion instead!

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands or you're likely to be disappointed, really. Turn FO3 into a massive expansion instead!

it sounds like a really neat mod, but I like my other mods in new vegas! And I modded up Fallout 3 already! Oh, here's a thing that I can't figure out, despite googlin'

I have the weapon mod pack and FOSE, but I CAN'T figure out how to run FOSE with Vortex/NMM. I'm reading that there's something about looking for a section that said there's a thing that said "Launch Fallout 3" with a dropdown to select the primary option (FOSE, in this case). But I swear I can't find that whatsoever.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

heh, so right after I posted that, I figured it out. OK.

Anyway, for mods, I'm using the following:

NMC Textures Upgrade
Fellout
Weapon Mods Kit
EVE - Energy Visuals Enhanced
MTUI
DC Interiors

It looks really good! But any other suggestions are welcome (including gameplay suggestions like best builds and such - I dumped almost everything into Intelligence - 9 - per this thread's suggestions). I just roamed over to the trike factory and got destroyed by ghouls. I'm pretty aimless right now, both in this game and in real life

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Floodixor posted:

I'm pretty aimless right now, both in this game and in real life
Then I would recommend you stay away from the Red Racer Factory in real life, just to be on the safe side. I don't want your mother's ghost haunting me because her only child became a garbage burner.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Floodixor posted:

I just beat New Vegas for the first time and it was so so good. So I'm now going to play Fallout 3 for the first time. I was curious if anyone had any mods they thought were must-have for overall experience?

Throw it in the trash and play New Vegas again.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Then I would recommend you stay away from the Red Racer Factory in real life, just to be on the safe side. I don't want your mother's ghost haunting me because her only child became a garbage burner.

I still think about this post and laugh, so thank you.

So I'm a few hours in to a modded fallout 3 and it's Lind of what I feared - as I tromp through the wastelands, I can start to see the small (and sometimes large) things that NV improved on, and by proxy the weaker elemts of fallout 3. That said, I still think it looks great-even better than NV at times - and I will kill and kill until I stand atop a pile of skulls, bloated with XP.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think Fallout 3 has a better world to explore than New Vegas, while New Vegas has better writing and characters. NV's gameplay is better unless you want to use heavy weapons, which are practically useless.

I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 without fast travel, but that's a miserable experience in New Vegas because there's so many "go to this city and talk to this guy" quests. Once I decided to use fast travel I enjoyed NV way more. I just wish I could run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without crashes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried the lets give fo3 another chance thing, maybe its not that bad. Got out of the vault and non spot crashes. c'est la vie

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Id recomend looking up thesaltfactory on youtube. Hes done several videos on "is this as good as i remeber" on fallout 3, new vegas, and several elder scrolls. They are a long, but enjoyable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chamale posted:

I think Fallout 3 has a better world to explore than New Vegas

I think the city center itself was kinda bullshit. It was a bunch of tiny walled areas only accessible by the subway and navigating from any one to another was an exercise in frustration. I don't think there was a real gameplay reason for that to be the case either.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

infernal machines posted:

I think the city center itself was kinda bullshit. It was a bunch of tiny walled areas only accessible by the subway and navigating from any one to another was an exercise in frustration. I don't think there was a real gameplay reason for that to be the case either.

The top two things I remember about FO3 are precisely what you just said, plus the game ended at least one major POI before I expected it. Like the location where the game ended I kind of rushed through it because I thought there’d be another one after it and then the game just ended.

It’s also the only FO I haven’t played through at least twice though I’m thinking about playing it again because I think it’s also the only FO I never played the DLC of.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The top two things I remember about FO3 are precisely what you just said, plus the game ended at least one major POI before I expected it. Like the location where the game ended I kind of rushed through it because I thought there’d be another one after it and then the game just ended.

It’s also the only FO I haven’t played through at least twice though I’m thinking about playing it again because I think it’s also the only FO I never played the DLC of.

There's one major (free?) DLC that extends the story pretty significantly. Broken Steel or something like that. It changes a lot of things about the world map only after you beat the original storyline of 3, things like clean water in most of the map, checkpoints for handing out that water, different factions move into different locations, etc. Plus the story continues until you drive out the Enclave I believe. It's probably been like a decade since I last played it.

Yes, I'm spoiling something a decade old, someone's playing FO3 right now in this thread.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

infernal machines posted:

I'm pretty sure the downtown DC poo poo was due to technical limitations (mostly of consoles) at the time it was released.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Good point about the DLC, the story ends in an abrupt and unsatisfying way without Broken Steel. I assume anyone playing it nowadays has all the DLC.

And yeah, Washington was a bit chopped up because of consoles having less than a gig of RAM, same with the New Vegas Strip. I think there are fewer loading screens in Fallout 3 than in New Vegas.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The fallout 3 story is complete rear end that is only beaten in its rear end like quality by fallout 4. There is no reason to play those two games for their stinker of a plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Clark Nova posted:

I'm pretty sure the downtown DC poo poo was due to technical limitations (mostly of consoles) at the time it was released.

That's how it felt, but I figure it may also have been the usual "Gambryo is rickety rear end" factor as well. It made exploration a right pain in the rear end though, there were spots on the map you'd think you could explore, but nope, no way to get there, and some you could get to, but involved figuring out the right identical looking subway exit to take and so you could never be sure if the spot didn't exist or was just horribly designed. Even if you planted a location marker it was entirely random what direction the compass indicator would direct you in while in the subway, and it rarely had anything to do with where you actually had to go.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 20, 2020