Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only Arcade1Up unit I'd buy if they announced is MvC2, but a Konami beatemup featuring Simpsons would be a second.

I'm actually really surprised they didn't either put MvC2 on the Marvel one, or announce a Capcom Naomi Classics one with MvC2, Cannon Spike, Power Stone, and whichever is cheaper to license between Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Spawn. Naomi emulation is pretty much solved at this point, and you don't need particularly beefy specs for it if you're just trying to run the games at native res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

That would be such a good direction for the series.

I'm loving all the casual treason in this game. It's a decision made with the same levity as choosing what to eat for lunch.

It's a thing in the original novel that the characters are constantly announcing how they're not actually committing treason by setting themselves up as warlords in the middle of a swamp. It's all "We're daring bandits taking down the Man! ...But not the emperor who is divine and therefore not the Man!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm actually really surprised they didn't either put MvC2 on the Marvel one, or announce a Capcom Naomi Classics one with MvC2, Cannon Spike, Power Stone, and whichever is cheaper to license between Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Spawn. Naomi emulation is pretty much solved at this point, and you don't need particularly beefy specs for it if you're just trying to run the games at native res.
NAOMI emulation currently requires Sega's copyrighted BIOS ROMs, IIRC.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sega is really good about licensing their stuff to random American companies, for better or for worse. But would they give a company the keys to their arcade kingdom?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If we’re bringing up NAOMI, why not go ham and say gimme dat SFA3U (which didn’t make the Street Fighter Collection)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sega is really good about licensing their stuff to random American companies, for better or for worse. But would they give a company the keys to their arcade kingdom?
NAOMI was heavily licensed back in the day, so it might be either "is Arcade1up willing to shave yet more off their premiums in licensing fees" OR "is Arcade1up capable of getting what basically amounts to Dreamcast emulation running smoothly on what basically amounts to a low-end Android tablet's CPU"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder Arcade1Up cabinet almost got me to buy one. The problem is that it's one of those four-player cabinets and only one of the games on the machine supports four players (the marquee game). The rest of the games only support up to two players max, so it feels like kind of a waste. They could've licensed some other Sega games that supported four players like Arabian Fight or Quartet, or at least got a few three players max games like Alien Storm or Gain Ground.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a shame that Sega's The Amazing Spider-Man isn't on there, that game is great.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

It's a shame that Sega's The Amazing Spider-Man isn't on there, that game is great.

game rules. Comic shop at the King of Prussia mall still has it (or at least did pre-pandemic) iand it's still fun to play.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
One day I want to pick up a cheap Arcade1Up cabinet for modding. Everything after the Marvel Super Heroes cab has a good screen and stereo speakers so you don't need much.

If they ever put out a Super Off Road + Track Pack + Super/Championship Sprint cabinet I'd be all over it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I finally have an area where I can set up a gaming area and I want to set up some retro systems.

This is all going to be used on a 4k TV that only has HDMI inputs.

If I get multiple NTCS systems that support RBG out (Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, SNES, etc) is the best way to set them up like this:

SCART cables from the sytems to a SCART switch like the Hyrda, gscartsw or something like this thing

Go from the scart switch to either a RetroTink2x Scart or a OSSC upscaler

From the upscaler to my TV via HDMI

Second question: For systems that don't do RGB like the FZ-1 3DO, I will need to get a seperate RetroTink2x Pro, right? If I understand right, the other Scart version and the OSSC do not support S-VIDEO input?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just a heads up that the Saturn version of King of Fighters '95 now has a custom hack that makes it so you no longer need the proprietary cartridge that came with the game originally. You need a 4mb RAM cart, but not the KOF95-specific one. As a hack for Ultraman, the only other game with a proprietary cart, got a custom hack earlier, you can now play the full Saturn collection with a simple ODE or a chipped Saturn+CD-Rs, and a generic 4mb RAM cart.

The same hacker also did a modification for the Saturn version of Castlevania SOTN so it could leverage a RAM cart and get faster loading and smoother animation.

https://www.retrorgb.com/saturn-king-of-fighters-95-4mb-ram-cart-hack.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man what a crappy thing to do. Imagine if different N64 games came with proprietary expansion packs. Yikes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Man what a crappy thing to do. Imagine if different N64 games came with proprietary expansion packs. Yikes

I never knew that was a thing. :stonklol:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it was only 2 Japanese games that did this, likely due to costs involved. It was their way of boosting what the console could do, by having some of the game's data pre-loaded into the expansion cartridge (for those unaware, the Saturn has a straight-up catridge slot in the back that doesn't require anything fancy to use, you just slide a cart in and out like you would on a Genesis/Mega Drive).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Ambitious Spider posted:

game rules. Comic shop at the King of Prussia mall still has it (or at least did pre-pandemic) iand it's still fun to play.

I think that shop closed, wasn't there last time I went :( (They could've just moved but I don't remember seeing it)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In a similar vein, it amazes me that there were 32X CD games. According to wikipedia, there were 6 such titles.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

univbee posted:

Just a heads up that the Saturn version of King of Fighters '95 now has a custom hack that makes it so you no longer need the proprietary cartridge that came with the game originally. You need a 4mb RAM cart, but not the KOF95-specific one. As a hack for Ultraman, the only other game with a proprietary cart, got a custom hack earlier, you can now play the full Saturn collection with a simple ODE or a chipped Saturn+CD-Rs, and a generic 4mb RAM cart.

The same hacker also did a modification for the Saturn version of Castlevania SOTN so it could leverage a RAM cart and get faster loading and smoother animation.

https://www.retrorgb.com/saturn-king-of-fighters-95-4mb-ram-cart-hack.html
Interesting, I always presumed that cart was ROM (not ram) that was assets to load quicker. If it was, hacking it to somehow load those assets from disc in advance first seems pretty challenging.

Also I think that's a super smart idea, if it was indeed a ROM, which makes it completely different from N64 style RAM stuff. Basically it would never have to read from disc to fill the 4m cart with assets. Loading 4m of data from an un-optimized CD with seeking all over probably takes quite a while.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would be unable to not buy a CvS2 1up. I have ZERO interest in MvC. Although XMen VS SF is pretty drat good. Aren't there actually 4 titles in the XMen/Marvel VS. series?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kazvall posted:

I would be unable to not buy a CvS2 1up. I have ZERO interest in MvC. Although XMen VS SF is pretty drat good. Aren't there actually 4 titles in the XMen/Marvel VS. series?

XvsSF, MvsSF, MvC and MvC2

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What about Children of the Atom?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazvall posted:

Why would anyone get MvC?

MvC2's far better! :v:.

Also holy poo poo has the price on PAL DC copies jumped a good $200AUD since I snagged mine :stonklol:.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like mvc1 more than 2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just found out that Sega almost got Microsoft to make the original Xbox backwards compatible with Dreamcast games.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Rinkles posted:

In a similar vein, it amazes me that there were 32X CD games. According to wikipedia, there were 6 such titles.

One of them was a Brazilian exclusive to boot!

They're all FMV games so they aren't worth playing but spending $400 in Sega hardware during 1995 to play Supreme Warrior would constitute insanity

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like mvc1 more than 2

It's a more coherent game, but 2 has everything and the kitchen sink in it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just found out that Sega almost got Microsoft to make the original Xbox backwards compatible with Dreamcast games.

Dude, what?! If only.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always felt like the Xbox was basically Dreamcast 2, but it went deeper than I expected. This video documents the relationship between Sega and Microsoft in the Dreamcast and Xbox era.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

This sensational headline should perhaps cite its source with a link that's not a youtube video of some guy rambling?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Dude, what?! If only.
There were discussions between Microsoft and Sega's chairman at the time, Isao Okawa, shortly before his passing. From the sounds of things, the big sticking point was Sega insisting that their online multiplayer games stay online, while Microsoft wanted the only online service on the platform to be their own Xbox Live.

falz posted:

This sensational headline should perhaps cite its source with a link that's not a youtube video of some guy rambling?
A Kotaku article that you might need Google Cache to view at the moment, citing tweets by a former Microsoft exec.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 19, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Kins posted:

There were discussions between Microsoft and Sega's chairman at the time, Isao Okawa, shortly before his passing. From the sounds of things, the big sticking point was Sega insisting that their online multiplayer games stay online, while Microsoft wanted the only online service on the platform to be their own Xbox Live.

Well that's too bad. Would have definitely made me consider an Xbox at the time.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

J4U is a cool rear end site. I ordered a DSi and the drat thing got here in 3 days. It looks clean as hell and came in the box for 20 dollars + shipping. Awesome site.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went with Xbox at the time because of all the Sega titles plus Morrowind. In hindsight, I'd probably have been happier with a PS2 and it's vast library of JRPGs, but I did enjoy the Xbox.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

falz posted:

I find it hard to believe that there's anyone out there who cares about the original Xbox more than MVG.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

falz posted:

MVG isn't just some guy. He does ramble though, even through the sponsored segments of his videos.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I like mgv. No where in the quite I quoted even said it was from him or anywhere else.

Really my snarky comment was just asking for a source of any kind.

Does anyone know his irc handle from back in the day? I still have irc chat logs from my Xbox hacking days from back in the day too. I didn't do any dev like him but I did compile and distribute very early builds of xbmp (which became xbmc and then Kodi).

I got the original Xbox mainly because it just became hackable, it's a great console.

Edit: oh my, I still have a bunch of this stuff, irc chat logs and compiled binaries

code:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 falz  1001    66M Sep  4  2006 #xbins
-rwxr-xr-x   1 falz  1001    63M Sep 11  2006 #xbins-chat
-rwxr-xr-x   1 falz  1001    28M Sep  4  2006 #xbins-help
-rwxrwxr-x   1 falz  www     65K Mar 26  2003 xboxhackerlog.txt
-rwxr-xr-x   1 falz  1001   9.1M May  2  2006 #xbmc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 falz  1001   343B Aug 28  2006 #xbox
-rwxr-xr-x  1 falz  1001    6169897 Mar 30  2005 #alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox*
code:
$ ls
config.xml                              xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-22-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-19-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-13-03.zip
README.TXT                              xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-23-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-20-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-14-03.zip
shoutcast.zip                           xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-24-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-21-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-15-03.zip
xbmc_alpha_xbins_10-01-03.txt           xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-25-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-22-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-16-03.zip
xbmc_alpha_xbins_10-01-03.zip           xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-26-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-23-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-3-03.zip
xbmp_2_4_cvs_compile_xbins_8-24-03.zip  xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-27-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-24-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-4-03.zip
xbmp_2_4_cvs_compile_xbins_9-10-03.txt  xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_3-2-03.zip   xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-25-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-5-03.zip
xbmp_2_4_cvs_compile_xbins_9-10-03.zip  xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_3-3-03.zip   xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-26-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-6-03.zip
xbmp_2_4_cvs_compile_xbins_9-11-03.txt  xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_3-4-03.zip   xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-27-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-7-03.zip
xbmp_2_4_cvs_compile_xbins_9-11-03.zip  xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_3-9-03.zip   xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-29-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-8-03.zip
xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-17-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-10-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-30-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-9-03.zip
xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-18-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-10-03a.zip    xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-31-03.zip     XNSPlsEdit_v1.1.zip
xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-19-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-12-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-1-03.zip
xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-20-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-13-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-10-03.zip
xbmp_2.3_cvs_compile_xbins_2-21-03.zip  xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_1-18-03.zip     xbmp2_cvs_compile_xbins_2-11-03.zip

falz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 19, 2020

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I've always wondered what that would have looked like if it had worked out. It would have to have been mostly hardware based backwards compatibility, the same way PS1 on PS2 worked. The Xbox's architecture would have to be somewhat different as I doubt it would have been cost effective to include the DC chips merely for legacy purposes - even the PS2 didn't do that, with the PS1 CPU doing double duty as the PS2's I/O processor. Would the hypothetical Dreamcast-Xbox even have a DVD Drive? What would a hybrid DVD-GDROM drive have cost in the early 2000s? The Xbox controller already looks like it was designed to use a VMU, and having VMU functionality with Xbox titles would have been awesome.

Not that it mattered, I think the existing Sega/Microsoft relationship was enough to poach quite a few Dreamcast owners as it was. I didn't buy an Xbox until Shenmue II was released for it, and the Xbox I bought came bundled with Sega GT and JSRF. Most of the early titles I bought were all Sega or Dreamcast successors, like Panzer Dragoon Orta and PGR. It was well over a year before I ventured much further into the Xbox's library. I'm glad I did though, I would have hated to miss out on stuff like the first Halo, KOTOR, and the awesome homebrew had I ended up with a PS2 instead.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 19, 2020

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

falz posted:

I can't get more than 60 seconds in to Viewpoint, to me it seems like a super lovely Zaxxon but harder to gauge where you are.

Yea I didn't make it through Viewpoint, I got to the crab boss and got pretty discouraged. Maybe I'm kind of picky with shmups, I don't really want to quarter feed my way through them but I also don't want a shmup so hard it seems futile for my skill. Which is why I think I preferred Blazing Star, it was difficult but I think if I put time into it I could probably get good enough to one credit clear it.

Speaking of hard Neo Geo shmups... what are the opinions of people who are really into shmups on Ghost Pilots? At first I was digging it, then after credit feeding probably 100 credits to clear the game I kind of hated it. I'm not great at shmups, but it seemed unreasonably difficult and not difficult in a fun way. I'd be super impressed if anyone could one credit clear that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

katkillad2 posted:

Moving on to the TG16/PCE/PCECD/Supergrafx next. I haven't played through anything yet, making a list of english friendly games, but initial surprises are an Altered Beast and Ninja Gaiden NES port that I didn't know about. Where as Neo Geo's library was about 1/3rd fighters, TG16/PCE/PCECD seems to be about 1/3rd shmups... there's literally like a hundred shmups :stare:

There are indeed a lot of shmups, but some of my best retrogaming memories were putting up $15 for a MagicEngine license and exploring that library in the early 2000s. Well, the HuCards. I was on dial-up at the time so trying CD games didn't come until later (and required virtual mounting with Daemon Tools lol). I found the system and its games to be absolutely charming, and eventually bought a real one (a NA "NIB" Duo, one of the last ones in stock at Turbo Zone Direct).

I still might support Konami/M2's efforts with the mini, if they do another run of them.

univbee posted:

for those unaware, the Saturn has a straight-up catridge slot in the back that doesn't require anything fancy to use, you just slide a cart in and out like you would on a Genesis/Mega Drive

It's for this reason that my first experience importing JP games was Saturn stuff. It was so unbelievably easy to plunk a cart in the slot and get to it. Whereas I would've had to get my PS1 modded. DC was the man in the middle with its boot discs.

katkillad2 posted:

Speaking of hard Neo Geo shmups... what are the opinions of people who are really into shmups on Ghost Pilots?

It's the only game on the system that mimics the Toaplan formula. For that I give it praise because I'm a fan of the Toa. The name itself is a tribute - apparently the player craft in Fire Shark is canonically piloted by an apparition. The NG game is significantly easier than its inspiration, there are some boring spots throughout, and the presentation is very much early NG, but if I saw it in the wild, I'd absolutely put some credits in. Same with AF2, that's a great game.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I went with Xbox at the time because of all the Sega titles plus Morrowind. In hindsight, I'd probably have been happier with a PS2 and it's vast library of JRPGs, but I did enjoy the Xbox.

i think the xbox was better than most people remember, i liked halo, it also had ninja gaiden, jsrf, shenmue, some other good poo poo.

i didn't own a ps2 at the time but even now that i own one (actually two, PAL and JP), i find surprisingly little that i want to play on it. i guess i just don't like post-SNES jrpg's and survival horror