Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

MariusLecter posted:

Never seen the show but I assumed 'How I Met Your Mother' was gonna be a guy telling his kids about actually meeting their mother and their relationship as they fell in love and whatever.

But from everything I've heard about the show it's actually a guy telling his kids about his lovely single life with his lovely friends and their lovely stories that go nowhere. Like hours and hours of 'You had to be there' nonsense.

It is. It's just that they stretched about 2 seasons-worth of that plotline over 9 seasons because the show just kept being popular and recommissioned.

And never listen to other people talking about a show here to decide if you're going to like it. If only you watched stuff that people here said they liked, you'd be confined to Pokemon, Transformers and maybe one anime series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

And they laud Barney for being a serial rapist. One gag is that he sold a woman into sexual slavery for a car.

Yup. And another is about what kind of secret the main dude's date might have that makes her undatable and it's literally the ''woman walks into the men's room and uses the urinal'' gag from the 80s when they thought this poo poo was acceptable. And they all gasp in horror.

Less horrifying but still weirdly lovely, a storyline has Barney start dating a stripper, at which point all his friends stage an intervention because duh, obviously she's playing an angle, she's a dirty stripper. They do show that it's kind of lovely to assume that but it's done in such a milquetoast way that the end message is ''they were right to think she's a gold digger, just not in this case.''

I almost wish I had kept notes of all the horrible poo poo in that show.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed it at the time but I’ve rewatched some clips and was like :stonk:

Like I remember Barney being gross and the bad yellow face episode but it’s really 80s comedy level of how the gently caress was this appropriate. Even discounting the problematic bits (to be very generous) the show ran on way too long.

I was also about to say that it wasn’t that long ago but it started 15 years ago.

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jun 19, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MariusLecter posted:

Never seen the show but I assumed 'How I Met Your Mother' was gonna be a guy telling his kids about actually meeting their mother and their relationship as they fell in love and whatever.

But from everything I've heard about the show it's actually a guy telling his kids about his lovely single life with his lovely friends and their lovely stories that go nowhere. Like hours and hours of 'You had to be there' nonsense.

From what I know, they deliberately spin the framing device as a shaggy dog story where the guy really is just telling his kids this long, meandering story with a bunch of random bits of bullshit that go nowhere until he finally gets to the point. And that was intended from the jump; I believe that the scenes with his kids actually were all filmed in one shot right at the start of the show, so that they can imply it's just one absurdly long story.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hyperhazard posted:

Speaking of idealized millennial lives in the 00s, I listened to the Avenue Q soundtrack recently, and oof. Everyone's A Little Bit Racist is terribly, hilarious out of touch.

Considering it came out in NYC during stop and frisk, it might as well be called White Privilege the Musical.

e: since I realize not everyone's a musical nerd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9n_UPyVR5s

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jun 19, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cleretic posted:

From what I know, they deliberately spin the framing device as a shaggy dog story where the guy really is just telling his kids this long, meandering story with a bunch of random bits of bullshit that go nowhere until he finally gets to the point. And that was intended from the jump; I believe that the scenes with his kids actually were all filmed in one shot right at the start of the show, so that they can imply it's just one absurdly long story.

It's also why the ending made no drat sense because they filmed it nine years before and had forgotten until the last episode that they actually had to bring things back around to "Ted somehow ends up with Robin".

Which is why the last episode is "And that's how I married your mother and Barney married Robin. Also your mom is dead and Barney and Robin just got divorced".

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I stopped watching HIMYM a season or two before it ended but my wife kept on and when she told me the ending I felt so vindicated.

Robin time and time again established she didn't want kids, it's why she broke up with Ted (twice?) and her fiance that one season. So once Ted has kids and his wife dies? Sure! Stepkids are totally different! Not to mention the message that Robin was only acceptable to Ted once he had kids. And Robin and Barney broke up because Barney was a bad husband, but when he knocks up a random woman and marries her he becomes a great husband? No hosed up messages about women and motherhood there!

What a trash show, I'm pissed I watched as much as I did.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Speaking of things that (allegedly) haven't aged well, that author writing that piece is some big (alleged) :ironicat:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's amazing how often the cast of it's always sunny in philadelphia resemble the main cast of other sitcoms, but the other sitcoms don't intend for their characters to be massive unrepentant piles of poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Did Malcolm in the Middle age well? Only potentially poorly aged thing I can remember off the top of my head was an episode with a cardboard cutout of a black dude and I don't remember how it played out.

rodbeard posted:

It's amazing how often the cast of it's always sunny in philadelphia resemble the main cast of other sitcoms, but the other sitcoms don't intend for their characters to be massive unrepentant piles of poo poo.

Basically ask yourself "does this character get laughs or a punch in the face for their reprehensible behavior?"

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Did Malcolm in the Middle age well? Only potentially poorly aged thing I can remember off the top of my head was an episode with a cardboard cutout of a black dude and I don't remember how it played out.

I feel like Malcolm would age fine. Wasn't it a cutout of a black janitor with a mop and a 6-pack of beers or something and Lois thought it was racist or something like that?

I loved the one where they brought Hals black friends to the house to scare the racist grandma from staying.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Humerus posted:

I stopped watching HIMYM a season or two before it ended but my wife kept on and when she told me the ending I felt so vindicated.

Robin time and time again established she didn't want kids, it's why she broke up with Ted (twice?) and her fiance that one season. So once Ted has kids and his wife dies? Sure! Stepkids are totally different! Not to mention the message that Robin was only acceptable to Ted once he had kids. And Robin and Barney broke up because Barney was a bad husband, but when he knocks up a random woman and marries her he becomes a great husband? No hosed up messages about women and motherhood there!

What a trash show, I'm pissed I watched as much as I did.

IIRC Barney doesn’t marry the woman he gets pregnant, he just decides he wants to be a good father.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’a a little bit of a running joke with that since one episode it seems like Hal’s not feeling like part of the group because they’re all black, when it’s really they’re all academics and professionals and he’s a lowly office worker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

In Ireland we used to have an icecream called a "Golly Bar" which featured a caricature of a golliwog on the label thus:

It stayed there until 1992, when people finally started asking if it was really ok to have a racist caricature on a bloody icecream, so it was removed but the name wasn't changed for years; at some point it became a"Giant" bar, then a "Big Bite'. It's also literally the most vanilla icecream imaginable, just a brick of vanilla on a stick.

Not quite as racist but Norway have a weird habit of linking stereotypical pictures of people of different ethnicity on our foodstuff:

(Eskimo ice cream)

(Canned meatballs in sauce, this one has gotten a ton of backlash recently from sami people and might not last long)

(Mocha beans)

(spice)

( Like Golly Bar the logo of this spice company was removed, but for a long time there was a spice company called Black Boy in Norway)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's good that HIMYM aged as poorly as it did, because otherwise it'd be stealing GoT's "ending retroactively ruins all good seasons" thunder

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

I feel like Malcolm would age fine. Wasn't it a cutout of a black janitor with a mop and a 6-pack of beers or something and Lois thought it was racist or something like that?

I loved the one where they brought Hals black friends to the house to scare the racist grandma from staying.

Right, now it's coming back to me. She thought it was racist based mostly on the fact that his name was "Slappy," which I didn't entirely get but I figured it was a reference to some old racist stereotype or something.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's good that HIMYM aged as poorly as it did, because otherwise it'd be stealing GoT's "ending retroactively ruins all good seasons" thunder

I was actually going to post about this, how both HIMYM and GoT ended so poorly that they effectively erased themselves from the cultural zeitgeist overnight. Are there any other examples of this? Where it ends and all of a sudden nobody could possibly give a poo poo?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

I was actually going to post about this, how both HIMYM and GoT ended so poorly that they effectively erased themselves from the cultural zeitgeist overnight. Are there any other examples of this? Where it ends and all of a sudden nobody could possibly give a poo poo?

Dexter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hattie Masters posted:

:lost:?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That was just the last nail in the coffin. Dexter hadn't been good since season 4.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hattie Masters posted:

I never watched it, but Desperate Housewives was massive for a few years and everyone knew of it, before it seemingly disappeared without a trace.

For an older one, Murphy Brown was apparently very big when it was originally airing, but faded very quickly. A lot of that seems to have been its topical, political humor dating it, and didn’t get syndicated like a lot of other shows. I originally only knew of it from the Seinfeld episode where Kramer appeared as an extra, and could have easily assumed it was a fictional show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sweet geek swag posted:

That was just the last nail in the coffin. Dexter hadn't been good since season 4.

Not quite true - it had a chance to come back to life at the start of S7, but blew it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Right, now it's coming back to me. She thought it was racist based mostly on the fact that his name was "Slappy," which I didn't entirely get but I figured it was a reference to some old racist stereotype or something.

It was the whole gestalt of a Black janitor with a patronising name and a shiteating grin holding up a six pack IIRC. Episode ended with her putting it back up specifically to piss off a racist coworker because it was increasing the number of Black customers, I think?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I mean, was Lost erased by its ending or cemented forever, just in a negative light?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Hattie Masters posted:

Battlestar

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Hattie Masters posted:

Aside from certain channels refusing to stop showing it, and following on the HIMYM bandwagon, what about the other Chuck Lorre monstrosities - Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I thought the ending of Malcolm with Lois talking about Malcolm being President and explaining how the rich eat poo poo and gently caress over poor people was pretty great for a Nickelodeon show. Haven’t seen it in years now though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I thought the ending of Malcolm with Lois talking about Malcolm being President and explaining how the rich eat poo poo and gently caress over poor people was pretty great for a Nickelodeon show. Haven’t seen it in years now though.

MitM was Fox

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sweet geek swag posted:

that's mostly true but also consider this

the last season was so bad, even compared to other bad seasons, that it's less of a last nail in the coffin and more like a final, paranoid stake through the corpse's heart so we can be sure it'll never rise again

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

HIMYM also teased the mother for seasons and how great she fit in the group, only for her to get one scene per member except for Ted who got none, and the group kind of split off right after the wedding.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I mean, was Lost erased by its ending or cemented forever, just in a negative light?

Opinions may vary on whether it was ruined or just reinforced, but it was certainly the case that people very quickly forgot it ever existed.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

Not quite as racist but Norway have a weird habit of linking stereotypical pictures of people of different ethnicity on our foodstuff:

(Eskimo ice cream)

(Canned meatballs in sauce, this one has gotten a ton of backlash recently from sami people and might not last long)

(Mocha beans)

(spice)

( Like Golly Bar the logo of this spice company was removed, but for a long time there was a spice company called Black Boy in Norway)

I think it tends to happen in countries that are extremely mono-cultural, so it come across as insensitivity/ignorance more than active, malicious racism. Up until about 20 years ago Ireland was extraordinarily white so non-white people could easily be represented by racist caricatures and there was virtually no-one around to point out how crappy these things were.

(btw Fritt Vilt is a really good film and Norway should be proud)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I hated that ending because it seemed to be saying “You will never get to do what you want, and you must follow the life plan that I, your horribly abusive mother have set for you” and Malcolm just takes it.

Seriously, that whole show was an endless parade of emotional and physical child abuse. I dunno how people like it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
MitM has aged very poorly in a lot of respects, yeah.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I hated that ending because it seemed to be saying “You will never get to do what you want, and you must follow the life plan that I, your horribly abusive mother have set for you” and Malcolm just takes it.

Seriously, that whole show was an endless parade of emotional and physical child abuse. I dunno how people like it.

Personally, I could relate to it a lot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Eddie Murphy and Dick Cavett were on Letterman showing something Cavett found in Bangkok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-hrBFSRfA&t=2494s

I couldn't believe it was real.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

This post is in Wikipedia under the category, "Incorrect Assessments Of Malcolm In The Middle".

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Eddie Murphy and Dick Cavett were on Letterman showing something Cavett found in Bangkok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-hrBFSRfA&t=2494s

I couldn't believe it was real.

They still sell those, they just changed the name to "Darlie" at some point and instead of having a cariacture of blackface, they have a Gentleman Of Indeterminate Race. You can find them at most asian markets, and honestly it's not a bad tasting toothpaste.

No idea if it'll survive the most recent wave, it might go the way of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben too.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Hattie Masters posted:

Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Two series that were huge and iconic in the UK, ended around the same time as Lost, and then vanished completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Whybird posted:

Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Two series that were huge and iconic in the UK, ended around the same time as Lost, and then vanished completely.

Life on Mars had a US remake but over here the British shows are more or less unheard