Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd prefer a Lando roof

This aesthetic is getting worse all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I honestly would have thought the generation that liked that poo poo were all dead by now.

I had really hoped I would never see another newish car with one of those for the rest of my life.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

I had really hoped I would never see another newish car with one of those for the rest of my life.

I didn't even know it was possible. I wish I had looked closer to see how they finished the edges around the tailgate opening. Then again, who cares, it's still garbage.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I honestly would have thought the generation that liked that poo poo were all dead by now.
Maybe I'm biased from seeing them all the time when I was little, but I kinda think 80's boxy luxury cars look nice with landau tops. It's not a good look for modern cars or SUVs, but if I had an 80s land barge with hail damage I might consider a landau.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
They're still not that uncommon as a way to cover up hail damage. Then marketed to people with no taste.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Iirc they're a way of salvaging hail damaged cars. At least, that's the explanation I've heard for it. Car gets tons of dents and damage from hail, throw a lovely vinyl landau top on it and then you've 'repaired it' and sell it to some poor schmuck.

Edit:

In trying to find who even sells landau topped cars, I found something much worse

http://www.4hearse.com/ct.htm

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Not disagreeing with the hail argument, I'm sure it's a legit reason. But somehow you just know those things were point-of-sale options and that's pristine metal under all that vinyl.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ishikabibble posted:

Edit:

In trying to find who even sells landau topped cars, I found something much worse

http://www.4hearse.com/ct.htm

Yeah in comparison the other one doesn't look that bad, that's just how terrible this is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Finger Prince posted:

Not disagreeing with the hail argument, I'm sure it's a legit reason. But somehow you just know those things were point-of-sale options and that's pristine metal under all that vinyl.

Given the reason vinyl roofs disappeared is that they are immense water traps that lead to roof rust.... I very much doubt the pristine metal bit

There has long been more than one reason to avoid a second hand car with a vinyl at all cost.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given the reason vinyl roofs disappeared is that they are immense water traps that lead to roof rust.... I very much doubt the pristine metal bit

There has long been more than one reason to avoid a second hand car with a vinyl at all cost.

This always cracked me up. I always wondered if was saving a buck for paint or if the adhesive wasn't compatible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/Only9built/status/1273752122195140609?s=19

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hey speaking of Porsches

https://twitter.com/jimfromtheradio/status/1273600168403832834

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Why yes, I'd like a custom airbrushed tailgate on my brand new gladiator! :buddy:

Driver looked like a 28 year old hipster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's kinda cute.

Be real hard to make the Gladiator any uglier than it's own mother did.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
looking at how lumpy it looks around the edges, that could well be vinyl

even if it's not, yeah nothing of value was lost

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

As someone who used to work in Woodstock, that's exceptionally on brand for there.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I once saw two adults on a smaller (125cc) scooter, but the passenger was facing backwards, holding a hand cart which was pulling a refrigerator. Seemed to be working out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It gets better when you see the other pic

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/porsche-driver-charged-for-pulling-hot-tub-on-wooden-cart-1.4990472

968?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you can tell they spent a lot of time on it, good effort

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

taqueso posted:

you can tell they spent a lot of time on it, good effort

If they spent more than $20 on the wood, they’re idiots. A Home Depot truck rental is $19.
Well, I mean they’re idiots regardless, but even more so if they were trying to save a buck by doing it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those carts use bronze bushings instead of bearings. I bet that got hot.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
While it was inoperable for quite some time Bus 142 has finally been airlifted out of the Alaskan Stampede Trail. I imagine the locals are happy, as dipshit hikers kept dying trying to reach it.

It would have been nice if it was left undisturbed but I think it’s a good thing it was removed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frond posted:

While it was inoperable for quite some time Bus 142 has finally been airlifted out of the Alaskan Stampede Trail. I imagine the locals are happy, as dipshit hikers kept dying trying to reach it.

It would have been nice if it was left undisturbed but I think it’s a good thing it was removed.

Was that the Into the Wild bus?

Edit: yep https://www.dvidshub.net/news/372418/alaska-national-guard-airlifts-into-wild-bus-stampede-trail

Midjack fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 19, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably all they had to do was improve the crossing of that one river that people kept drowning in.

Wikipedia says the bus was shot up a bunch so it probably wasn't much fun to visit anymore.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol the wiki article about it has already been updated. movie was not so great but the soundtrack by Vedder is great

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TotalLossBrain posted:

The wheels on carts like that can be roller/ball and plain bearings, but either way not exactly rated for being trailer wheel :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

The wheels on carts like that can be roller/ball and plain bearings, but either way not exactly rated for being trailer wheel :lol:

The ones on mine are ball bearing x 2 each wheel, but neither they nor the tires are up to highway speeds. Or even city street speeds.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

BraveUlysses posted:

lol the wiki article about it has already been updated. movie was not so great but the soundtrack by Vedder is great

The soundtrack is good but I prefer the original version of “Hard Sun”. I am biased though as I am Canadian.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BraveUlysses posted:

Vedder has a knack for writing about people getting themselves killed.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Photos of the move:

https://i.imgur.com/M1jdU5H.mp4

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Fortnite 2 looking kind of bland honestly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Fortnite 2 looking kind of bland honestly

Well it's an ugly part of alaska tbh. That area is all marsh and mosquitos north of the foothills of the alaskan range.

Put that poo poo in the Chugach mountains and now we're talkin.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
How was he able to just drive in a big rear end old bus but people end up dead if they try to see it?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The New York Times posted:

How was he able to just drive in a big rear end old bus but people end up dead if they try to see it?

He didn't drive it, it was already there. The bus had been used as accommodation by road construction crew and was dragged around with a bulldozer before being abandoned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede_Trail#Bus_142

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The New York Times posted:

The famous dead dude didn't drive the bus there.

EDIT: Beaten

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

slidebite posted:

Why yes, I'd like a custom airbrushed tailgate on my brand new gladiator! :buddy:

All I can see here is :imunfunny:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s in ok condition considering it’s been there for 60 years.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bought proper bearing wheels for my hand trolley a few years ago and every side of the packaging had NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE printed on it in the biggest letters that would fit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Memento posted:

I bought proper bearing wheels for my hand trolley a few years ago and every side of the packaging had NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE printed on it in the biggest letters that would fit.

that's just for liability, the real limits are miles away from that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finger Prince posted:

Oh they were at one point, and I'm sure some Cadillac dealer still offers it.

But it's not pristine metal after a few months under that poo poo.

slidebite posted:

I'm down for custom airbrushed tailgates, when well done. And they need to be on a proper minitruck - say, a Nissan Hardbody, Mazda B2000, Mitsubishi Mighty Max, 80s/early 90s Toyota pickup (Hilux for those outside of the US)... I'll take an old school S-10 if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather it be on Nippon minitruck sheetmetal. I'll carve out an exception for late 80s/early 90s Chevy full size pickups, but only if they have the full bodykit for the era.

This... doesn't meet a single one of that criteria. :barf: