Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JJ did ignore TLJ? Like, Snoke's dead / had to be replaced with Palp, but nothing that happened to TLJ really appeared to impact the events of RotS. If anything, RotS felt like the third movie in a completely different trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not only does TROS feel like a sequel to a different Episode VIII, it doesn't even really feel like a sequel to JJ's own Episode VII!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
John Boyega and Adam Driver were so good in the brief periods when they were actually allowed to be interesting.

Daisy Ridley and Oscar Isaac too but their characters were never really interesting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What RotS has going for it is that it let the new cast take center stage. TLJ was dominated by Luke and Luke's story, and TFA by someone jabbing you in the side going 'remember Star Wars?' and also more than the necessary amount of old Harrison Ford (none).

I wonder how the sequels would be received if they weren't presented / conceived as a trilogy. TFA could just be 'Star Wars 2000', TLJ could be the start of some new story that wouldn't have to write around TFA, and RotS basically does stand alone, but it could have been done a lot better if it wasn't set up as a third act. Not that I trust Disney's writers to be able to craft a stand alone story any better *cough* Rogue One *cough*, but, y'know, someone could have.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
TLJ's plot emerges from, "So where the gently caress is Luke?" though. It's opening JJ's mystery box.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think its easy to skip over blowing up the first Death Star, at least for viewers... Aside from the medal ceremony Luke never appears to be treated as a galactic hero in the OT. The ST treats the loving Knights of Ren with more awe than Luke ever got in episodes 5/6.

Yeah, his friends are clearly all aflutter about Luke's new sick Jedi skills in RotJ, but in the briefing for the Endor mission nobody seems to care much about his arrival except for Leia and Han. And that's the entirety of Luke's contact with the Rebellion in the movie, he barely hangs out with them at all and interacts with no other rebels besides Leia.

As for him blowing up the Death Star, that was a glorious victory but the Rebellion got its poo poo kicked in a while after with Luke barely surviving. That tends to dull the glory a bit, even though it could build towards a myth where this war hero is just too tough to die or something. But it's still a long way away from the boner every single character, no matter the alignment, seems to have developed for Luke Skywalker in the ST.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Goon posted:

I wonder how the sequels would be received if they weren't presented / conceived as a trilogy. TFA could just be 'Star Wars 2000', TLJ could be the start of some new story that wouldn't have to write around TFA, and RotS basically does stand alone, but it could have been done a lot better if it wasn't set up as a third act. Not that I trust Disney's writers to be able to craft a stand alone story any better *cough* Rogue One *cough*, but, y'know, someone could have.

Solo suggests, "not well".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Rogue One suggests the same.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

josh04 posted:

Solo suggests, "not well".

Cease to Hope posted:

Rogue One suggests the same.

Yeah but, the reception to those movies might have been influenced by Disney's announcement of a trillion Star Wars movies from now on until you die. It's pure conjecture on my part, but I think many people got proactively kind of sick of Star Wars when Disney made clear just how hard they were going to milk the franchise, and of course the movies not being part of the trilogy structure were going to catch the worst of that. Not that Solo doesn't suck.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Rogue One was a confusing mess until the final act. I don't think framing it any different way would've fixed that.

e: Like I can't speak for anyone else, but my objection to Rogue One is that for most of the movie it's difficult to tell where a given thing on screen is happening, why it matters, or why I should care about anyone involved. If I stop and think about it, it does strike me as odd that a Star Wars movie is trying to be this gritty and cynical and bleak while still having a robot cracking wise, but it wasn't my chief objection while I was actually watching it.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 19, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Rogue One was a confusing mess until the final act. I don't think framing it any different way would've fixed that.

e: Like I can't speak for anyone else, but my objection to Rogue One is that for most of the movie it's difficult to tell where a given thing on screen is happening, why it matters, or why I should care about anyone involved. If I stop and think about it, it does strike me as odd that a Star Wars movie is trying to be this gritty and cynical and bleak while still having a robot cracking wise, but it wasn't my chief objection while I was actually watching it.

I thought Rogue One was pretty straightforward and rather simple, so :shrug: I found a lot of entertaining things to focus on, most of all the Imperial Middle Management subplot. The tone was rather bleak, but if I'm not mistaken it came out after TFA and kinda came across as a bit of an unofficial ESB, the second movie in a Star Wars trilogy, but not. A movie about a mission where everybody dies, and we know it because we have never heard of those characters. I thought the movie handled that narrative burden well enough without getting too cute about it.

Also, the cynical robot owned and was a fine mirror of fussy useless C3PO, a dull gray figure being an rear end in a top hat about everything and killing with the flick of his wrist.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought Rogue One was pretty straightforward and rather simple, so :shrug: I found a lot of entertaining things to focus on, most of all the Imperial Middle Management subplot. The tone was rather bleak, but if I'm not mistaken it came out after TFA and kinda came across as a bit of an unofficial ESB, the second movie in a Star Wars trilogy, but not. A movie about a mission where everybody dies, and we know it because we have never heard of those characters. I thought the movie handled that narrative burden well enough without getting too cute about it.

Also, the cynical robot owned and was a fine mirror of fussy useless C3PO, a dull gray figure being an rear end in a top hat about everything and killing with the flick of his wrist.

It wasn't until my second viewing that I was clear on what Riz Ahmed's character was trying to do before the third act. (Defect to Saul Garrera's Rebel outfit? I think?) I'm still unclear on what was going on with Diego Luna's character besides the fact that he was Jyn's minder.

There's this very vague and choppy movie about Jyn wandering around with unclear goals and finding all the helpers and her motivation for the heist that is the Actual Movie. It's not that there aren't individually entertaining scenes or interesting characters in this choppy mess, but it doesn't ever come together into a coherent narrative. Once they get to Scarif, the movie comes together, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rogue one had a very good (in a popcorn summer move kind of way) final act and while I didn't find the rest of the movie objectionable I can't deny it did jump around too much and too fast for its own good. If it was just a 1.5hr heist of the death star plans it would have owned.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Some Goon posted:

Rogue one had a very good (in a popcorn summer move kind of way) final act and while I didn't find the rest of the movie objectionable I can't deny it did jump around too much and too fast for its own good. If it was just a 1.5hr heist of the death star plans it would have owned.

I think all of the disney star wars are crammed with way too much stuff for their own good. On top of all the action scenes that have to be set every 25 minutes, there is no way to handle the world building, the character moments, and the important plot elements without making every one feel perfunctory.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

TLJ's plot emerges from, "So where the gently caress is Luke?" though. It's opening JJ's mystery box.

Yeah this is the problem: TFA is all about how the most important thing in the galaxy is finding Luke and then ends on the first ever Star Wars cliffhanger with Rey arriving on Luke's little planet with Finn in a coma or whatever.

Every other star war including TLJ ends with some kind of resolution where you could have things begin in media res a year later or whatever, instead of literally requiring you to start right at the moment the previous movie ends. Imagine if TLJ actually tried to gloss over Luke's importance, there'd be even another level of bitching than what we got.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rogue One is a perfectly fine heist movie that is made substantially worse by its participation in Star Wars canon, but 1) that's every Star Wars other than Empire and 2) it's a prequel.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Come to think of it, don't Rogue One and Solo belong in the prequeldome?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Maybe this is the Disneydome

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
We could make this the Disney Star Wars Superfund Site, a place where we can discuss a toxic mess

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I mean, Batuu... What the gently caress were they thinking? Imagine if Universal Studios made a Harry Potter world around Frogslime, the fallback school of wizardry for those who don't get into Hogwarts.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
For all the poo poo the prequels get, imagine if Solo had come out instead of Phantom Menace

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

For all the poo poo the prequels get, imagine if Solo had come out instead of Phantom Menace

swords at dawn in the prequeldome

THREE BAD MOVIES ENTER, MANY BAD POSTS LEAVE

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FunkyAl posted:

People would've been pretty happy? Solo isn't terrible; it's a good Star Wars action movie that undercuts itself every 10-15 minutes with a forced "ORIGIN STORY!" hook.

Here's my pitch for Solo: It shouldn't have been Solo. If it had been Beckett's Brigade, and it was a heist movie that Young Han Solo just happened to turn up in, as a member of the crew? I think it would've been given a much warmer reception (It's almost like Han's a supporting character by his very nature)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nah it should have been Part 1 of "The Calrissian Chronicles"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Solo was a pretty fun little movie when it wasn’t trying to tie itself back to the original trilogy. It’s just that when it did that it was so insanely stupid that it dragged the whole rest of the movie down lol

I liked the lead actor a lot, he was charming and did a good job playing a character that felt like a young Han Solo without just doing a Harrison Ford impression. Compared to Donald Glover who was clearly just consciously impersonating Billy Dee Williams.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I mean, Batuu... What the gently caress were they thinking? Imagine if Universal Studios made a Harry Potter world around Frogslime, the fallback school of wizardry for those who don't get into Hogwarts.

That actually sounds a lot of fun, idiot teenagers with magic.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Cease to Hope posted:

swords at dawn in the prequeldome

THREE BAD MOVIES ENTER, MANY BAD POSTS LEAVE

My jedi handicap is that I only watched the first 20 minutes of solo and then turned on scarey movie 2.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Solo is a mess with a few cromulent sci-fi/action scenes. It answers every question the audience might have had about the characters' origins in the worst possible way, ranging from the Imperial recruiting officer giving Han a last name to Lando having a room dedicated to capes. It's literally one of those dumb "The Art/Story Behind Star Wars" books in movie format, and it suffers for it. Also, Darth Maul out of loving nowhere is laughable as hell.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

the worst possible way

Lando having a room dedicated to capes

i don't understand

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's like, they had two scenes in a row where a character ham-fistedly names another character, and their names are han solo and chewbacca, and then you realize you can step away from it all

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That actually sounds a lot of fun, idiot teenagers with magic.

Instead of drinking Butterbeer and playing quidditch, you're pounding abracadabsinthe shots and eating mage-ajuana brownies.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
solo would have been better if it had leaned much harder into the cheese

this should have been the soundtrack

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I get the feeling that's what Lord and Miller wanted to do, but Kasdan shat his pants in anger over them not taking Solo seriously.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a solo movie where the story keeps loving up and they have to stop and fix the fuckup mid movie

solo movie narrated by one of the characters but they get bored halfway and start talking about something else

solo movie that's just lando telling increasingly improbable origin stories about himself

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Solo: A Shaggy Dog Story

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Cease to Hope posted:

Solo: A Shaggy Dog Story

Harrison Ford is turned into a shaggy dog, ala Tim Allen

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Harrison Ford is turned into a shaggy dog, ala Tim Allen

I mean in the last two years Harrison Ford has voiced a lovely CGI dog, and co-starred alongside a lovely CGI dog, so a third movie involving him and some kind of lovely CGI dog is just belaboring the point.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a shaggy dog story is a long and pointless story where the punchline is intentionally stupid or nonexistent, and the joke is that you listened to all of it and this dumbass punchline is all you get

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

a shaggy dog story is a long and pointless story where the punchline is intentionally stupid or nonexistent, and the joke is that you listened to all of it and this dumbass punchline is all you get

So the talent agent then asks the family, "...Okay, but what do you call your act?" And the family answers in unison, "THE SEQUEL TRILOGY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

So the talent agent then asks the family, "...Okay, but what do you call your act?" And the family answers in unison, "THE SEQUEL TRILOGY!"

:golfclap: