Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Creeper World is back!! It's only an alpha tech demo for now, available for the next week with the Steam Summer Games Festival. The next chapter in the Creeper World saga, such as it is, is now open to our first peek.

ETA, 11.19.20: The trailer is out for CW4 (thanks ousire for being quick on the draw in noticing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHN8Hoc_zgU. The expected release date is December 3 now, at which point I intend to hit the ground running.

ETA, 12.3.20: We're now up and running with the release of the full game!

What is this Creeper World you speak of?

My previous bloated adventures covered Creeper World, Creeper World 2, Creeper World 3, and Particle Fleet. This is to be the 5th iteration of the concept. It's somewhat hard to describe, but basically a stripped-down, casualish RTS/tower defense hybrid with a lot of support for scripting and user-created maps in the later versions, and an active community adding IMO the best content that way.

What happens between now and the full version of CW4?

I'll resume doing user maps of the other games via the 'Grab-Bag' series in the interim. We'll get a taste now, then hopefully dive into the rest at launch. That's technical issues permitting, as Steam and my PC have been having an ongoing conflict for several weeks now, and at first the demo wouldn't run at all for me so ... fingers crossed. But there'll be something to put up here regardless; the other games in the CW franchise are still fine. I'll return to weekly uploads during the interim.

The Misadventure So Far
Herein lie the tales of woe that constitute humanity's struggles against the Creeper

Demo Missions

09 Leo 266 (11:00)
Farsite (19:17)
Home (10:51)
Not My Mars (19:45)
Ruins Repurposed (18:11)
Mark V Sample (32:24)
Before Time (37:08)
Day of Infamy (26:07)
Easter Egg Hunt (43:33)
Shaka (44:33)

Grab-Bag
Back to weekly missions from the previous games until the full version of CW4 is unleashed

Even More Rooms (2:43:16)
It's Not Useless (38:58)
Field of Glory (2:22:02)
Where Am I? (31:04)
Castle Wars (31:35)
Planet X954S2 (PAC) (1:06:48)
Creeper World 2: Next Step (37:01)
Era of the Sleeper (27:25)
Exponential Growth (11:37)
Asteroid Rail Gun V2 (1:30:58)
Red Vs Blue 4 (1:25:22)
CSM-197 (1:28:22)
Mortar Land (23:21)
Creeper Comeback (1:00:20)
The Labyrinth (1:07:52)
Matasia (22:55)
Death From Above (14:03)
CW 2.5 Predicament (14:33)
Building Blocks (21:02)
CSM-07 SG-3(Hard) (51:11)
The Most Annoying Map in CW2 (1:09:41)

Release Version

Intro & 09 Leo, 266 (15:45)
Farsite (17:46)
Home (11:04)
Not My Mars (19:44)
Ruins Repurposed (19:03)
We Know Nothing (16:36)
We Were Never Alone (21:28)
Hints (25:39)
Serious (19:17)
More and More (29:18)
War and Peace (28:14)
Shattered (23:51)
Archon (8:47)
Archon Revisited: Reclaim Adventures (4:02)
The Experiment (18:19)
Somewhere in Spacetime (17:02)
Tower of Darkness (40:19)
The Compound (31:04)
Sequence (41:52)
Wallis (34:13)
Founders (55:52)
Ever After (36:14)

Bonus Content

Colonies Maps, Span Experiments, Randomly generated, perhaps other things - everything CW4 that I'm doing but isn't in the Farsite Expedition campaign goes here.

The Wave (55:02)
Far York Farm (20:35)
Orbital Insertion (29:38)
First Person Creeper World (17:52)
Let Blue Rain (1:02:28)
Beat the Lanes (59:09)
Cascades (14:22)
Parasite (29:04)
Schism (56:36)
Troublesome Totems (25:35)
The Depths (1:00:36)
Wave Pool (14:00)
Holdem 2 (56:54)
Hold The Line (33:04)
TerraMoon (22:47)
Learning Process: The Price (Blind) (39:31)
Four Missions (55:53)
Cheap Construction (31:39)
Play As Creeper Is Back (53:49)

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
09 Leo 266 (11:00)

An interesting real historical reference, a couple of new-yet-familiar characters, and the storytelling style we all know and ... well, we all know. Our first bite at the apple, and I plan on getting a couple more missions up tomorrow.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Now is it soylent as in the novel, which is about overpopulation, soylent as in the movie, which is about eating people, or soylent as in the company, which is about making people fart a lot and also their insane CEO who killed all his gut bacteria and wears a new plastic jumpsuit shipped overseas each day instead of washing clothes because he figures it's more water efficient?

i offer no apologies about this being the first non OP post in the thread. I'm super hype for CW4 and the videos Virgil's put out every now and then have shown some pretty fun stuff, which is being confirmed here.

The storytelling is as we know and love it.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 17, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It looks like he's increased the gel coefficient of the creeper from earlier more water like physics to the previous games' consistency. On the one hand, that makes it easier to not bone yourself with explosives, on the other hand I kind of liked the possibility of boning yourself with explosives. I expect modding that is going to create some amazeballs scenarios though.

The recorder I like.

Complications fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 17, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Lawl i was briefly seen in the video as an entry in high scores screen.

Are you gonna show off the easter eggs for this?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

On easter eggs, depends on whether I run into them. I don't know where the one in the first mission is, second mission will be up soon and I think I found that one. Third one is supposed to be in the last mission and not obvious, so ... probably unlikely.

Soylent? Uh ... no clue?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:getin:

Think I found the second and third one.
Looking forward to seeing what other people think of 'em. If you do find 'em, of course.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The easter egg in mission one requires you to embrace 2020 fully.
:suicide:

EDIT: i noticed that you never realized that what the temple did was not a shield because shields don't happen to spread across the terrain. Really, was it THAT not obvious what it actually was?

Regallion fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 17, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yes, it was that not obvious, at least to me. With how different everything looks in this game - I mean, I don't know how shields work so I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been an expanding shield. Towers don't work the same as collectors exactly, there's no reason shields couldn't have been changed to expand.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Farsite (19:17)

A direct assault upon the English language, and a blast from Creeper World 3's past highlight - or is it lowlight - our second mission.

Up Next

Thanks to a county-wide power outage (though many got it worse than we did) it's quite unlikely there will be a second mission today. Hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Seems they fixed it so the demo is properly available through the store page. https://store.steampowered.com/app/848480/Creeper_World_4/

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'd wondered if the story's writing was going to get any better this time, and thus am I answered. Creeper World is always going to have :allears: story.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am at my wits end in the later missions. My weapons are just not getting energy when they are next to power for some reason. I don't seem to be using those supply caches either. The power towers are not connecting sometimes when there is a line connecting them. Demo problems.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Gonna be forced to suspend this. Good news is the demo will still be available past the end of the Summer Festival, and they're considering adding a level or two to it eventually. Bad news is it won't run again and nothing I do is working to convince it otherwhise. I've got a support request in to Steam (it appears to be on their end, not the game's, I'm having the same issue with another game or two as well though most of them work), but no idea when or if that gets resolved. If it does, I'll do more of the demo levels.

Arglebarglezorz.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am at my wits end in the later missions. My weapons are just not getting energy when they are next to power for some reason. I don't seem to be using those supply caches either. The power towers are not connecting sometimes when there is a line connecting them. Demo problems.

I had that first problem in the non-story mission, until I remembered that the long-range relays in CW3 transported packets at double-speed. It's the same here. Just build a relay line from your base to close to where you're fighting. Expand with towers, because they're cheap and small, but make a relay line for packet transport. The game really should explain that somewhere.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ok, I think I'm going to be able to resume. Aiming for tomorrow. I took the 'nuclear option' and reinstalled Windows. That appears to have cleared up the issues, but ofc now I have the joy of reinstalling & setting up a bazillion applications to get things back to where they were (sans the malfunctions).

I'm not superstititious at all, but I'm still tempted to cross my fingers just because it can't hurt.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The obligatory mortar-crater introduction mission, also with pipes as we move from Not Farsite to Not Home.

Up Next

Everything is working as it should now, so there will be another mission later today - I plan on getting through the rest of the demo missions this weekend.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am at my wits end in the later missions. My weapons are just not getting energy when they are next to power for some reason. I don't seem to be using those supply caches either. The power towers are not connecting sometimes when there is a line connecting them.

I haven't had these issues yet, but definitely sounds frustrating. There is still one more mission left that I haven't completed though.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

The obligatory mortar-crater introduction mission, also with pipes as we move from Not Farsite to Not Home.

Up Next

Everything is working as it should now, so there will be another mission later today - I plan on getting through the rest of the demo missions this weekend.

Video is marked as private. Something go wrong?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I haven't had any issues with things just not functioning; my advice if something isn't building or getting energy is to click the button called visible on the right hand side of the screen, then check 'all lines' to get the CW3 effect of all connections being visible at all times. I do that anyway because I'm used to it, but I can understand the differing default UI. I know that the cell size especially at far zooms is smaller than previous Creeper World titles, so if you're dropping something at the edge of its range it's easy to twitch it one cell further and you'll never realize because the energy connections aren't visible by default until something starts to go through them.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

There's also some line of sight stuff going on. If you build a relay at the top of a hill it might not reach a blaster at the bottom.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

kaosdrachen posted:

Video is marked as private. Something go wrong?

Sorry about that. I switched it to unlisted since it was going to go public when I was at work a couple hours after I posted, but apparently something didn't play nice with that.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Not My Mars (19:45)

We have pet names now. For AIs. Be afraid. Be very afraid. But we also have other things like Miners and Pylons.

Up Next

Two more tomorrow, and hopefully finishing up on Sunday with the demo. I do have a question for the thread to consider though; is it worth going back to do the first mission again for the easter egg, or do we not care? If there's enough interest in it I'll try, otherwhise I'll just leave it be.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 19, 2020

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fix your link, it goes to the previous video.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I just liked that one so much I wanted everyone to watch it twice.

Totally meant to do that. Sure.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo! CW4. I got the demo downloaded as well and got the five story missions done. I am stupidly eager for this.

Not to be too nitpicky, but for these last two videos, you've really gone mortar heavy. Same rules apply with mortars in CW4 as they do in 1 and 3 (and 2 with rockets). Cannons are better for low level creeper, and for pushing it back. Mortars are best for deep creeper pools. Both mission 3 and 4 would have gone better for you with more cannons and less mortars.

The next mission is by far my favorite of the demo, and it's a CW4 version of the CW3 official mission that I've replayed the most times.

Easter eggs: Yeah, definitely go back and get the easter egg. Is it confirmed that the Easter eggs are on missions 1, 2, and 5?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Complications posted:

I haven't had any issues with things just not functioning; my advice if something isn't building or getting energy is to click the button called visible on the right hand side of the screen, then check 'all lines' to get the CW3 effect of all connections being visible at all times. I do that anyway because I'm used to it, but I can understand the differing default UI. I know that the cell size especially at far zooms is smaller than previous Creeper World titles, so if you're dropping something at the edge of its range it's easy to twitch it one cell further and you'll never realize because the energy connections aren't visible by default until something starts to go through them.

Tomfoolery posted:

There's also some line of sight stuff going on. If you build a relay at the top of a hill it might not reach a blaster at the bottom.
More helpful than the tutorial.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone put the easter eggs in spoiler tags or something? I finished the demo and I've been looking for them but I can only find the one in the first level.

As for tech issues: this might just be because linux compatibility for Steam games is still in beta but if I try turning up the quality settings to full it just hangs my entire system.

Tomfoolery posted:

I think the length of a connection takes height into account as well as horizontal distance. You literally can't make a connection between two towers if they're right next to each other but one is very low and the other is very high up. You need pylons for that.

Edit: Also, towers need an absolutely tiny area to build. If you need to you can build a line down extremely narrow ridges.

Also also it's really fun when you're fighting on one front and forget about your energy situation for a second which causes a nullifier to run out of energy, the emitter starts up again, kills your nullifier, and the core of your network gets overrun so you can basically start over.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 19, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I did that map with 6 gen. It took forever and thought I had to speedrun it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

carbon dioxide posted:

Easter eggs: Yeah, definitely go back and get the easter egg. Is it confirmed that the Easter eggs are

Redacted by request.

1, 2, and 7 actually. You've probably found the one in level 2 but didn't know it, it's not as dramatic as the other two apparently are. If you're watched my playthrough of it, you've seen it

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

for these last two videos, you've really gone mortar heavy. Same rules apply with mortars in CW4 as they do in 1 and 3 (and 2 with rockets). Cannons are better for low level creeper, and for pushing it back. Mortars are best for deep creeper pools. Both mission 3 and 4 would have gone better for you with more cannons and less mortars.

Disagree on the third mission, which is nothing but deep creeper pools basically. But another issue here is how the creeper is displayed logarithmically in terms of depth, so that it looks a lot deeper to me in a lot of instances than it actually is. I don't have a good handle on what cannon-level and mortar-level are with that yet.

You're really going to be annoyed by this in the next couple of levels probably, because I think I doubled down on that.

carbon dioxide posted:

this might just be because linux compatibility for Steam games is still in beta

Probably. I have quality up all the way with no issues from that.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 19, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Easter eggs
Map 1
commit sudoku. Effect will be immediately notable
Map 2
supply Liftic to a temple structure. Causes it to spew some AC before exploding to ensure you cannot run out of liftic.
Map 7
build 21 snipers. Best done at start of map. Effect will be very notable and will make the map significantly harder.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think you should do the mission 7 easter egg for masochism's sake and aside from that meh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, I did some testing. CW4 hangs my Linux machine specifically when I set antialiasing to anything greater than None and also enable Shadows.

I told the CW Discord but I'm not sure if that's the right place for it, never been very involved with the community.

Edit: They replied. Turns out the problem was that I was running an old version of Proton.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 20, 2020

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Regallion posted:

Easter eggs
Map 1
commit sudoku. Effect will be immediately notable
Map 2
supply Liftic to a temple structure. Causes it to spew some AC before exploding to ensure you cannot run out of liftic.
Map 7
build 21 snipers. Best done at start of map. Effect will be very notable and will make the map significantly harder.

Map 2 was pretty meh.
Map 1 I tried twice, failed both times :v: By the time I get my control centre back, there is not enough space to reestablish myself.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had the same problem with map 1. I'm going to retry by killing almost all the creeper, and leaving just enough to sucks the control center into.

And yes, it's completely possible to clear out the creeper on mission 1 with just your given units.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Okay, so on the map 1 easter egg:

You don't need to clear creeper first, the emitters aren't that bad. To get to a stable point you can push out from on Mission 1, place your blasters so as to cover your inner ring of emitters from the get go. Once the two blasters land where you have to place them and you can move your command center again move them back instantly and drop the command center into deep creeper. Your blasters should have enough charge for the 10s respawn timer to not be an issue, then you respawn and can re-place them. Build two-three more blasters then. You'll want to have enough blasters to have at least one able to fire on any point in a circle around you.

After you respawn, build towers up to the north-northwestern high point and plant a mortar on it, place another mortar to the east, and a mortar to fire on the northern crater. You can then carefully re-expand to cover your plateau to the east and south. If you've done it right, the creeper should be just barely covering the hills north and east of your mortar on the high ground, and you can expand over that. You'll have enough power to start expanding however you like afterwards.

The problem with mission 1 isn't that you don't have enough power to re-expand, the problem is that you'll expand slightly too far and the ring of creeper will creep its way in.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ruins Repurposed (18:11)

As has been said, this is a recyling of a CW3 map, Meso I believe. It's still a good one though. Also the Factory debuts, which is useful in more ways than can be seen in the demo.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Mark V Sample (32:24)

A modified example of a procedurally generated map, this brings a new resource, a couple new-but-familiar enemies, and similarly new-but-familiar weapons to counter them.

Up Next

The grand finale for the demo. It's a worthy one I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol I never noticed you only need to power the totems to leave each map. I nullified everything on every one.