Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm confused about which horses are good. Though it doesn't seem to matter at all.

Do I have the guide for you.

The guide is attempting to help make a selection for RDO, but the stats aren't different. They're just Chapter locked and a couple more horses should be available like the Warped Brindle Arabian.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was in Strawberry I saw someone fishing so I thought it was my big chance to learn how, but no. I wandered off and saw that there was a doctor's office, thinking I might be able to get an exam before my health takes a turn for the worse, but it was closed, with a "Gone Fishing" sign in the window.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hakarne posted:

It boggles my mind that they're not doing anything with online, it's like already in maintenance mode. No season pass, new content, barely any fixes... nothing. Like hell, even if they were like "hey guys we're working on stuff it was delayed by covid" that'd be a massive improvement.

It feels like they've abandoned it. I've been wanting to pick it up again but I've been waiting for new content as I was starting to get burn out from logging in just to do a daily. I don't want to get started on that again until there's something new to jump on for.

same. the only dim hope i have at this point is that it'll be a repeat of the GTAO cycle, where on 360/PS3 we barely got more than the beach bum update, then they re-released on PS4/Xbone and started supporting the game with loads of content for real

but i dunno, GTAO is still coming on the next-gen consoles and i can't imagine RDR2 even has the potential to be that kind of moneymaker for them as an online service so who knows. those articles from late last year with the devs they talked about grand plans about a bunch of stuff that we still haven't seen, so i guess we'll see

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was in Strawberry I saw someone fishing so I thought it was my big chance to learn how, but no. I wandered off and saw that there was a doctor's office, thinking I might be able to get an exam before my health takes a turn for the worse, but it was closed, with a "Gone Fishing" sign in the window.

You'll learn fishing in a story mission at the camp.

Doctor's offices just sell potions. I never go in those. You might something see interesting if you look hard enough though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can only buy them and only towards the end of the game, it sucks.

You could always spawn one in with a mod if you want to go to that effort.

Argh, ok. As for the mod, no thanks. This is like the only game I've ever played where I get a weird pang of regret if I cheat or mod in stuff I haven't earned. Weird, I know.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I want more. Any truth to that RDR1 remaster?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Be an outlaw they said. See the world they said!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

toggle posted:

I want more. Any truth to that RDR1 remaster?

no evidence whatsoever as far as I know. just collective wishful thinking and that the old map is mostly there but underused. even Mexico is actually rendered but without towns or roads if you glitch over there

it seems like such an obvious thing to do given the majority of resources are already made and in the game and RDR1 never got a PC port, remaster, or even a multi-console uprezzed rerelease like other R* games. and that RDR2 is a direct prequel and a massive success and many people never played RDR1 and have limited ways to play it. for any other developer it 100% would’ve been done already.

but you know, R*

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I tried knocking out a dude with a fishing rod and couldn't take it, so that's one bit of misinformation disproven.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Argh, ok. As for the mod, no thanks. This is like the only game I've ever played where I get a weird pang of regret if I cheat or mod in stuff I haven't earned. Weird, I know.
Said it already last page, but modding in a way to toggle off bounties and such really make the game ten times more fun to me. I finally feel like the sneaky robber bastard I wanted to be instead of like I'm constantly standing under a giant floodlight blinking "hey, criminal here, come get him."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What trainer are you using?

Also the sad truth is that even though they put so much time and effort into it, RDR2 didn't come close to making the same amount of money as GTA5. I guess from Rockstar's perspective, working on Red Dead 2 at this point is just putting money on the table

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Rampage, you can get it on the Nexus. It's pretty well-designed and has a lot of other nice uses, but any of then has the same feature would do.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also the sad truth is that even though they put so much time and effort into it, RDR2 didn't come close to making the same amount of money as GTA5. I guess from Rockstar's perspective, working on Red Dead 2 at this point is just putting money on the table

much respect to the RDO guys for looking at how tedious and exploitative GTAO was deciding not to go down that path despite it making insane amounts of money for R*

I mean it might have killed support for the game but still

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't really agree with that assessment, I feel like any lack of exploitation is accidental on their part. Rumor has it the next role is going to be photography which is just :lol: I mean its cool I guess but its about the laziest fuckin thing they could have come up with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mandrel posted:

no evidence whatsoever as far as I know. just collective wishful thinking and that the old map is mostly there but underused. even Mexico is actually rendered but without towns or roads if you glitch over there

it seems like such an obvious thing to do given the majority of resources are already made and in the game and RDR1 never got a PC port, remaster, or even a multi-console uprezzed rerelease like other R* games. and that RDR2 is a direct prequel and a massive success and many people never played RDR1 and have limited ways to play it. for any other developer it 100% would’ve been done already.

but you know, R*

I thought that the coding on RDR1 was so hilariously janky that it's a small miracle that the consoles didn't burst into flames when you put in the disk. Which made it impossible to port it or remaster it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A game where birds can spontaneously turn into people kind of defines "janky," yes. It's frankly a miracle the game worked as well as it did even on its original console.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Despite my poor marksmanship I decided to go on an adventure to bag the Legendary Buck because I'd heard that the trinket is most useful if you get it early in the game.

It was a long ride, and at first I couldn't pick up the clues. So I wandered around with my horse walking behind me. Stumbled into a gang camp and took it out. Killed a few varmints.

Eventually I found the clues, and saw what might have been the buck. I had a handful of slugs so I loaded them into the shotgun, and after the initial shot, chasing it on foot and a few more rounds I got it!

On the way to the closest trapper I got jumped by a puma that was harassing a bear, fell off my horse but managed to survive and finally wrapped up the adventure with a journey to the fence to get my trinket.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Despite my poor marksmanship I decided to go on an adventure to bag the Legendary Buck because I'd heard that the trinket is most useful if you get it early in the game.

It was a long ride, and at first I couldn't pick up the clues. So I wandered around with my horse walking behind me. Stumbled into a gang camp and took it out. Killed a few varmints.

Eventually I found the clues, and saw what might have been the buck. I had a handful of slugs so I loaded them into the shotgun, and after the initial shot, chasing it on foot and a few more rounds I got it!

On the way to the closest trapper I got jumped by a puma that was harassing a bear, fell off my horse but managed to survive and finally wrapped up the adventure with a journey to the fence to get my trinket.

The #1 most important thing to remember about legendary animals is that no matter what you use to hunt it, you will always get a perfect pelt. This game also gives you explosives. Just coincidentally mentioning that.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I wish I could burn Van Horn off the map. Also Saint Denis.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, flames spread and fire bottles are fairly cheap to make...

I actually haven't seen a single puma or another bear since the intro section of the game. I wonder when I'll finally run into one of those. Also, why the gently caress are there so many alligators? They're practically small dinosaurs, there's no way that little patch of ground in Bayou N'wah should be able to feed them all. I am making it a point of killing as many of these as I can whenever I see them, because the locals seemingly don't seem to care about all the child-eating giant lizards right outside their doors.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tried to grab the oil wagon from that petroleum camp and that was most unpleasant. Going to see if there's an easier place somewhere else.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Things really just keep going from bad to worse. Not that that's unexpected for the western epic genre.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My horse is a moron.

So I had just chased down a train and jumped on board. I'm thinking, awesome! My first real train robbery (that isn't a tutorial.) I'm finding all of jack poo poo, because apparently train robberies are just about the least profitable thing you can do in this game, which is kind of pathetic by the way, as I get a message that my horse is injured and dying and I will lose it if I don't heal it quickly. So I have to jump back off the train, which has mercifully stopped at this point, and the idiotic thing had managed to get itself run over by a loving train in its rush to follow me. I guess I should be grateful it's still in piece, but still.

I mean, I knew horses are pretty stupid, but I didn't think they were that stupid. Oh well, at least my white Arabian is still alive.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, flames spread and fire bottles are fairly cheap to make...

I actually haven't seen a single puma or another bear since the intro section of the game. I wonder when I'll finally run into one of those.
Black bears are fairly common if you know where to look for them. I also think it's a nice touch that the two different bear species act like they would in real life. Black bears will generally try to avoid you while grizzlies will loving charge you.

quote:

Also, why the gently caress are there so many alligators?
It's especially annoying since you can't craft that many things with alligator skin. Meanwhile, animals you can craft a variety of things with are more scarce and difficult to hunt.

Cardiovorax posted:

My horse is a moron.

Every horse in this game is a moron. And yet I will desperately try everything to save them from dying when they get spooked by a geysir.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i hated all my horses and when they fail their corpses get molotoved. there should be a glue factory so u can get some bux back at least and destroy other peoples horses. the only good thing any of them do is poo poo in funny places and you can't even control or weaponise that!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know, it might be possible to mod in a Rocket Poop function. Horse poo poo is a physics object, which means that technically, it can also be a projectile. Just turn around and fire from all barrels.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

You know, it might be possible to mod in a Rocket Poop function. Horse poo poo is a physics object, which means that technically, it can also be a projectile. Just turn around and fire from all barrels.

would reinstall for that

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm at the beginning of chapter 5 and it finally dawned on me that Micah is a plant. I suppose it could also be Charlie but he's so unlikely for the authorities to use. Not spoiling myself yet but this run of bad luck can't be just chance or literary themes.

Also now passing myself on the back for noticing Arthur's persistent cough all the way back in chapter 3

I just wish Arthur would advocate more effectively with Dutch. It's clear that without Dutch holding him back Arthur would have shot Micah months ago and nobody else in the gang would have complained.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 21, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dutch's biggest problem is that he's really not half as smart as he thinks he is and nobody has the courage to tell him. Wouldn't be such a bad thing if not for the fact that it keeps getting everyone around him killed.

I went to Annesburg today and somehow managed to offend some random dude by walking into what was apparently a restricted area of some sort, not that it was actually marked in any way, so I had to slaughter the entire population of the town. Yay me, what a big drat hero I am.

♫ Ooooh, I went to Annesburg today, the place is kind of poo poo so I didn't stay... ♪

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the epilogue:
Overall completion: 85%
Legendary animals killed while in story mode: 11/13
Best campmembers: Sadie and Charles. If there ever is a direct sequel before the heat death of the universe it would be a crime if it isn't about Sadie Adler, bounty hunter
Number of horses I went through: 4 Buell being the favorite. Both because of the way you get him and because he is more or less trained when you get him
Worst gang: A tie between the Murfree Brood and the Skinner Brothers I guess.
The only challenges I actively pursued: The hunting challenges.
Best sidequests: Teaching the widow to hunt, hunting with Hamish and realizing that Arthur will never escape with Mary Linton

I was really glad that Tilly and Pearson made it out alive and that Tilly even had a family

The ending is really bittersweet. John has settled down on the ranch and even got the money from Blackwater. But you know that by the end he will be killed by the Pinkertons and that his son will follow his footsteps as an outlaw.

It was really weird how Micah seems to be the only one who has aged between the ending and the epilogue.

While the game's portrayal of native americans weren't actually offensive it would've been nice to have them being portrayed as something other than sympathetic victims.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Rains falls has it worse than everyone else in the game I think, the fact he isn’t hellbent on revenge is the biggest heroic feat

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I've read only negative comments about online mode I thought I'd jump in for a quick look. Did not expect it to have a story, and the character creation process was quite entertaining. Looks complicated so I'm going to leave it alone until I finish the normal mode.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Although I've read only negative comments about online mode I thought I'd jump in for a quick look. Did not expect it to have a story, and the character creation process was quite entertaining. Looks complicated so I'm going to leave it alone until I finish the normal mode.

It’s really a lot of fun, it’s just been severely under supported relative to its promise and people’s expectations. I’ve spent hundreds of hours in online alone and enjoyed every minute, it’s just been a bummer to have R* suddenly go radio silent on it for like 7 months now

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah it's nuts. the first job update came at like the end of August last year and bootlegger in November? After that absolutely nothing. Now with them remaking gta 5 again for the ps5 maybe they just cut their loses.

They were talking about other jobs right after the update and maybe owning land or property but after that initial news report it's been nothing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dutch's problem is that he's a charismatic user and a two bit con man. Of the three original Van der Lindes he's clearly the least intelligent.

Also if you pay attention he has at least an untreated concussion and more likely a TBI in chapter 4

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

You can find pieces of his speech in chapter 3 where there's notes to himself in it and it reads like he's just stringing whatever Deep Thoughts from books together to keep folks under his thumb and he knows it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You watch Tiger King? Dutch and the gang is basically the same thing. (Actual spoilers for Chapter 6) You would think that someone so paranoid and so controlling would at least be better at spotting a rat, but nooooo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If I were a development lead on this game I would have pushed hard for leaving Arthur's guns and satchel at the bottom of the Caribbean. It would make the player feel just as kicked in the balls as Arthur at that point in the story.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Finally ran my bounty up above ten dollars, so Bounty Hunters come looking for me. YAY!

They show up when I'm in a swamp, near a riverbank, and mostly spawn across the river. Cue Yellowboy sniping action as they have trouble pathfinding, or try to swim their horses across. :clint:

Head down to the Shine Shack to make my run, and find that Fucko McFrenchie won't let me do it because of the bounty. :smith:

Also, found that I'd somehow missed making level 30 Bounty Hunter, so I bought another HORF and have been playing with him most of the day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just started chapter 6. Arthur is so skinny :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You would expect for a game that's so detail oriented that nasty scar on Arthur's left shoulder would be permanent. He certainly acts like it hurts for the rest of the game if you watch his idle animations.