Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize that you had to maintain an active Audible subscription to use your credits. I signed up for the "4 months at half price" deal a while back, and I've racked up 5 credits that I need to spend before I cancel my subscription, which renews tomorrow. So I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm mainly looking for SF/F and horror, and I have zero interest in a multi-book series. Short storie collections are even better, and I value good narration above all else.

SF without a multi-book series, that's a hard one.

I would say most things by Neal Stephenson. The Rise and fall of D.O.D.O was fun, and well narrated. Along a similar line, Artemis by Andy Weir.

Though technically a series, I've owned the Dramatized version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for about 35 years in various forms, from cassette tapes to the current version on Audible. It has a tremendous relisten value. I've probably listened to it literally hundreds of times.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize that you had to maintain an active Audible subscription to use your credits. I signed up for the "4 months at half price" deal a while back, and I've racked up 5 credits that I need to spend before I cancel my subscription, which renews tomorrow. So I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm mainly looking for SF/F and horror, and I have zero interest in a multi-book series. Short storie collections are even better, and I value good narration above all else.

The Martian by Andy Weir is a good choice. I'd also recommend William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope. Just like the movie it's based on, it can stand on its own just fine.

And as far as the whole credit thing, you used to be able to keep credits indefinitely, but they decided that was too convenient.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lester Shy posted:

The Automatic Detective - A. Lee Martinez (Sci-Fi)
Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain - A. Lee Martinez (Sci-Fi)
Second Hand Curses - Drew Hayes (Fantasy)
Dr. Anarchy’s Rules for World Domination: (Or How I Became God-Emperor of Rhode Island) - Nelson Chereta (Sci-Fi)
The Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age - Stanislaw Lem (Sci-Fi)
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie (Fantasy) - Side story/standalone novel in his First Law series
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian - Robert E. Howard (High Adventure) - Organized in publication order
The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York - Deborah Blum (non-fiction)
Soon I will be Invincible: A Novel - Austin Grossman (Sci-Fi)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

Deptfordx posted:

Also if there's nothing you want right now. You can preorder a book that's not out for 6 months, then after you've cancelled your membership cancel the preorder and get a credit back which you can still use later when there's something you actually do want.

You can do this for multiple books. I've still got 2 credits left I haven't spent yet from the last time I did this.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

The Automatic Detective - A. Lee Martinez (Sci-Fi)
Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain - A. Lee Martinez (Sci-Fi)

These are super fun. Adding Gil's All Fright Diner

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why are there no audiobooks of Romance of three Kingdoms? Why does the google web crawler find me long dead posts from other people, like me, screaming into the void asking this question, and maybe one reply saying either "nah I don't think so" or "if there is one it's probably on audible".

Am I crazy? Am I thirty six years old and still not sure how to google? Please, please, prove me wrong, call me an idiot, anything, just help me either find an audio book for sale as a digital download or at least tell me with some certainty that there isn't one so I can quit looking.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Why are there no audiobooks of Romance of three Kingdoms? Why does the google web crawler find me long dead posts from other people, like me, screaming into the void asking this question, and maybe one reply saying either "nah I don't think so" or "if there is one it's probably on audible".

Am I crazy? Am I thirty six years old and still not sure how to google? Please, please, prove me wrong, call me an idiot, anything, just help me either find an audio book for sale as a digital download or at least tell me with some certainty that there isn't one so I can quit looking.

Audible has an absurdly abridged version here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Three-Kingdoms-Audiobook/B00S8FD2HM

It is about 40 minutes long.

E: There is an abridged Chinese one on audible here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-Audiobook/B0764LXKMQ but people don't like that one either.

E2:Someone is working on (but I don't know if they've completed) a podcast/youtube version http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/subscribe-podcast/list-of-all-episodes/
https://www.youtube.com/user/3kingdomspodcast/featured

E3: And finally, if you're desperate for audio you can grab the text from gutenberg http://www.self.gutenberg.org/eBooks/WPLBN0002827913-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-by-Guanzhong-Luo.aspx and either record it yourself or make the computer either read and record it or just read it https://www.softwarert.com/convert-text-to-speech-audio-windows-10/ (though I shudder to imagine the pronunciation- if you choose this it may be wise to experiment with finding and replacing names with phonetic equivalents).

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you so much for helping me see my options and restoring some of my sanity; it's about as bad as I feared.

Might just be me but I don't really want to read a text version because I'll mispronounce every noun. I'll check in on the podcast, if it's not done maybe listening to what's there will help me finish the rest in text.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So what's the deal with Audible? It seems like I have to do equations before I can figure out if spending a credit is worth it. Some books become $7.50 if you buy the Kindle version, making the listed price of $19 or $27 irrelevant. So a credit, on the platinum club, costs $22.95 / 2, blah blah blah... this one would be $9 to buy WITH the kindle version so it doesn't make sense to spend a $10.50 credit on it.

If I cancel my membership, will I still have access to the books I've purchased already? Or do I need to get a new credit each month to keep access to all my old books?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

escape artist posted:

So what's the deal with Audible? It seems like I have to do equations before I can figure out if spending a credit is worth it. Some books become $7.50 if you buy the Kindle version, making the listed price of $19 or $27 irrelevant. So a credit, on the platinum club, costs $22.95 / 2, blah blah blah... this one would be $9 to buy WITH the kindle version so it doesn't make sense to spend a $10.50 credit on it.

If I cancel my membership, will I still have access to the books I've purchased already? Or do I need to get a new credit each month to keep access to all my old books?

You'll keep any books you've bought already but you'll lose any credits you have stored up. So make sure you spend all your credits before you cancel.

And yeah it can be kind of complicated to get the most bang for your buck. I generally only buy 15-20+ hour novels or courses with credits since those are usually $20-30. Anything cheaper I'll just buy outright if I want it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Audible, like every other company is first and foremost meant to separate people from the most money they can at the lowest cost to them possible. This informs their whole decision making process. The "doing equations" you talk about is part of this, because if you screw up it means more money for them. If you watch the shopping cart while ordering multiple books, it doesn't automatically apply the credits to the most expensive items, forcing you to do this manually. In practice a certain percentage of people will screw up and use their credit on the deal of the day, usually netting audible an extra $10 or so.

As far as cancellation, you keep your books but lose any spare credits. You used to keep the credits forever but they decided that was causing too many people to cancel when they let their credits pile up. You might lose audible content that is free access to members such as the workouts or meditations and not proper purchases. Free audible original stuff presumably counts in the purchase pile but I'm not 100% sure on that. This free audible original stuff is also part of audible's efforts to separate you from your money, because you fear missing out on a deal.

If you attempt to cancel your membership, they often will give you the option to pause your membership for 3 months or go to an unofficial every other month program, but there's no guarantee. I've heard some people say you can talk to customer service directly to get a deal for 1 credit every 3 months in some cases, but more likely the every other month mentioned earlier.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

escape artist posted:

My strategy is to buy it outright if it's under the price of a credit, or wait for a site-wide sale if it's under six hours long.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been listening to David Sedaris' Theft by Finding. It's excerpts from his voluminous personal diaries from 1977 - 2002.

He's had some...interesting...adventures.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been listening to David Sedaris' Theft by Finding. It's excerpts from his voluminous personal diaries from 1977 - 2002.

He's had some...interesting...adventures.

That book's great, especially if you've read/listened to all of his earlier stuff because you'll hear different parts or more details of stories he's told previously. And it all makes a lot more sense now because you realize he was stoned out of this mind most of the time. Like the entire time he was a mall Santa elf.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

That book's great, especially if you've read/listened to all of his earlier stuff because you'll hear different parts or more details of stories he's told previously. And it all makes a lot more sense now because you realize he was stoned out of this mind most of the time. Like the entire time he was a mall Santa elf.

I have all of his audiobooks. I have this and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk left to finish.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have all of his audiobooks. I have this and Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk left to finish.

Aw man, I was excited because I hadn't heard that one before and turns out it's one of his 3 hour, $25 titles and nope. He does have 2 new books coming out within the next year or so though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aw man, I was excited because I hadn't heard that one before and turns out it's one of his 3 hour, $25 titles and nope. He does have 2 new books coming out within the next year or so though.

That's why I wait and get them on ebay. I snagged that one for $9 including shipping.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I bought the audiobook of William Gaddis' JR narrated by Nick Sullivan because I thought it would be impossible to do well and I wanted to hear an interesting failure, but instead it's one of the best drat audiobooks I've ever heard. I don't know how the gently caress he was able to keep up with it. In case you don't know Gaddis' style, it's almost all dialogue in which the speakers aren't identified and you're just kind of a floating ear moving from conversation to conversation just barely holding on to about fifty different plot threads... It should be a complete clusterfuck for a single narrator to do, but Sullivan pulls it off.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

XBenedict posted:

.Though technically a series, I've owned the Dramatized version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for about 35 years in various forms, from cassette tapes to the current version on Audible. It has a tremendous relisten value. I've probably listened to it literally hundreds of times.

Yeah, me too. I have probably listened to it more than any other single audio recording. It never ever gets old. Just the production values alone are worth a relisten.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The definitive version of HHGTTG for me is the LP (later cassette) release of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It's cut down to about an hour but it's completely re-recorded with the original cast and it just sounds so much more polished and even the delivery of some of the jokes is better than the original radio versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguL_w2Oerw
I must have listened to this a hundred times on cassette as a teen.

I always loved how every version of HHGTTG just kind of builds on and reinterprets the previous versions without taking them as gospel, it just kept being rewritten with every version from radio to book to tv to radio version of the books, etc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rachel Aaron's Shadowrun-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off Detroit Free Zone trilogy wrapped up a month or three ago.
The third entry is considerably longer, and wraps everything up to a pretty definite conclusion. Not bad.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
She has also confirmed more books to be set in universe. To be fair I do expect there to be some retconning- whether intentional or not because all of her series I've read have had this happen. Don't get me wrong she's one of my favorite authors, but her high speed writing philosophy, much like other authors known for high speed (I'm looking at you Drew Hayes, and yes you're one of my favorites too) gets her into trouble at least once per series.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Flea’s autobiography is a really good audiobook. I’m not a big Chillis fan but he comes across as a really nice dude, honest and thoughtful. It’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve read/listened to and it’s great hearing something read by the author.

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!

Idaholy Roller posted:

Flea’s autobiography is a really good audiobook. I’m not a big Chillis fan but he comes across as a really nice dude, honest and thoughtful. It’s one of the best autobiographies I’ve read/listened to and it’s great hearing something read by the author.

Awesome, this is a great find!

Some audiobooks biographies I really enjoyed:

Open: An Autobiography
by Andre Agassi
I never had an interest in tennis, and apparently Agassi hated the game too. He had a pretty messed up childhood and even when he went on to become a pro player his life was a rollercoaster of so many ups and downs.

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
by William Finnegan
This is read by Finnegan himself. Finnegan grew up during the early days of surfing. He goes on all sorts of crazy adventures to find the best places to surf. I think it is the perfect thing to listen to these days where beaches are closed...

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer

by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin
Oppenheimer is one of the most important physicists of the 20th century. He headed the manhattan project and went on to fight against nuclear proliferation afterwards. It's amazing how many major events/people he was connected to. This biography is extremely well researched too. While the content is fantastic, I do have to warn you that the recording has some issues. There are clearly sentences or fragments that were re-recorded and those re-recordings sound like they were done on a potato. But in spite of that I think it is still worth a listen.

Roundabout fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2020

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I want to try and get a hold of grover gardner to get him to hear the bad port of Robert Caro's Master of the Senate. Do you think they would fix it if he knew how bad it is?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

If you enjoyed this discussion, a fun book to read is How to Invent Everything: A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler by Ryan North. It's available in audio as well and makes for some nice summer listening.

I posted this in the small questions thread in response to a time travel discussion and figured I'd recommend it here as well. It's one of the few books read by the author that I've actually purchased after listening to the sample.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

$6.95 sale on Audible. Modest selection, but it does include the first two novels in the not-Shadowrun trilogy Minimum Wage Magic

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Currently almost done with Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr and am enjoying it immensely. It’s a story of the first crow to acquire a name and his adventures with humans throughout history. It’s narrated by the author and I dig his voice and cadence. I swear it sounds like a crow is telling the story. I don’t know how I’d know if that were a thing, but I feel it anyway. It’s great.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Facetious posted:

$6.95 sale on Audible. Modest selection, but it does include the first two novels in the not-Shadowrun trilogy Minimum Wage Magic
Just finished the first book of this, the narrator was outstanding although the volume fluctuated a lot depending on the scene and character. I guess I'll grab the second one on sale!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So Audible's now gone the Prime route with a new 'Free With Membership' catalog. There are a handful of full series of books I've been meaning to fully read (The Parker novels, Maisie Dobbs, Agatha Raisin, Lew Archer) so I bit the bullet and upgraded from my Silver membership.

Note that this comes automatically with the $14.95 a month plan, but can also be its own separate plan with no credits for $7.95. I'm going to try it out for a month and see how much use I get out of it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There are a lot of good books in this weird free book Audible thing. It’s a very eclectic mix but a lot of stuff that’s been on my wish list forever is suddenly free. You can add it to your library, but apparently it disappears if you cancel your subscription. Not sure how that work.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I just went hard in the non-fiction section, added about 10 to the library

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
2x (or more) is your friend. A lot of nonfiction is read slowly and there are often chapters in nonfiction that are mostly about how amazing the author is for finding this information.

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!
If you aren't listening to Obama read A Promised Land, then you are missing out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Roundabout posted:

If you aren't listening to Obama read A Promised Land, then you are missing out.

Was that the one where some goon remixed Dreams for my Father into an entirely new book?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I haven't listened to a lot of audio books, but I'm here to recommend any of the William books by Richmal Crompton, read by Martin Jarvis. They are fantastic, I didn't know it was possible for one guy to do 20 distinct upper class english accents and have them all sound like idiots.
Here's a seasonal sample from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9L0o2jzRo

yaffle fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 6, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

yaffle posted:

I haven't listened to a lot of audio books, but I'm here to recommend any of the William books by Richmal Crompton, read by Martin Jarvis. They are fantastic, I didn't know it was possible for one guy to do 20 distinct upper class english accents and have them all sound like idiots.
Here's a seasonal sample from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9L0o2jzRo

Ok but did you get into these because of Good Omens?

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!

Mister Facetious posted:

Was that the one where some goon remixed Dreams for my Father into an entirely new book?

Haha, I somehow missed that one. How did it turn out?

A Promised Land came out recently. It is the first volume of Obama's memoir, which covers his early political career up to the later part of his first term as president. Unfortunately, it does not include anything about SA's choom gang thread in D&D. On the flip side, he does some great impressions.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My bad, it was "Son of Strelka, Son of God".

Archives needed.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422981&perpage=40&noseen=1

quote:

Hey y'all. Long time no see. For the past four years, I've been working slowly but obsessively on a very odd project. Bit by bit I’ve dissected Obama’s self-read autobiography into thousands of very short phrases, usually one to ten words or so, and have used these snippets to tell a completely different story from the original. I’ve then set the story to music. The story is called Son Of Strelka, Son Of God. Broadly speaking, it tells the story of an ugly dog-faced demigod who recreates the world after it is destroyed. It's about thirty minutes long, and lies in some weird grey area between audiobook and electronic music.

YouTube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw-jIvFxpgIDIlxOnvHr9rN_2TUv87Ju_

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just finished Other Minds by
Peter Godfrey-Smith. It’s a self-described philosophy book but goes into quite a bit about the evolution and behavior of cephalopods with emphasis on their minds. I liked it and the narration was good.