Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure if it's in those links, but he also said in an interview that he keeps nerdy things in his home to disarm women because he describes himself as "very threatening"

In current times, wouldn’t nerdy stuff make you look MORE threatening instead of less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

KitConstantine posted:

Story just came out about Ansel Elgort so Baby Driver's icky for two reasons now!

WARNING: The story is kinda graphic so read at your own risk. I've put it in spoiler tags in case

https://twitter.com/ltsgabby/status/1273974928853827584?s=20

Since the account holder has made her tweets private (going to guess "torrents of abuse from angry Ansel stans"), it's an allegation that he raped a 17 year-old girl (I think it's the person who made the claim on Twitter) back in 2014.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Since the account holder has made her tweets private (going to guess "torrents of abuse from angry Ansel stans"), it's an allegation that he raped a 17 year-old girl (I think it's the person who made the claim on Twitter) back in 2014.

Correct, the person I linked to was the victim herself coming forward. Though I've seen a few other allegations popping up today of him dm'ing other 16/17 year olds as well.

Seems like he's a habitual predator from reports.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MacheteZombie posted:

Not sure if it's in those links, but he also said in an interview that he keeps nerdy things in his home to disarm women because he describes himself as "very threatening"

This tracks with a guy from the Flop House saying he used to come into his store and buy Warhammer poo poo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Now Baby Driver is twice as uncomfortable to watch.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Correct, the person I linked to was the victim herself coming forward. Though I've seen a few other allegations popping up today of him dm'ing other 16/17 year olds as well.

Seems like he's a habitual predator from reports.

When there's one accusation, others always come floating back up to the surface.

If he did it once, he definitely did it on other occasions, and I'm pretty sure that the original accuser probably isn't even his first victim.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Vagabundo posted:

When there's one accusation, others always come floating back up to the surface.

If he did it once, he definitely did it on other occasions, and I'm pretty sure that the original accuser probably isn't even his first victim.

Can we please just focus on the facts?

This has not happened with every accusation. It feeds directly into the “witch hunt” mindset when we just make poo poo up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

teacup posted:

This has not happened with every accusation. It feeds directly into the “witch hunt” mindset when we just make poo poo up.

I do agree that fantasizing about the number of rapes right off the bat doesn't help accusations of the salacious attitude of these sort of things.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i didnt watch baby driver, as a precaution

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KitConstantine posted:

Story just came out about Ansel Elgort so Baby Driver's icky for two reasons now!

WARNING: The story is kinda graphic so read at your own risk. I've put it in spoiler tags in case

https://twitter.com/ltsgabby/status/1273974928853827584?s=20

gone?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Now Baby Driver is twice as uncomfortable to watch.

which is funny cuz when Kevin Spacey was getting canceled they asked him for comment and he was like "yeah weird dude"

Carthag Tuek posted:

i didnt watch baby driver, as a precaution

overrated AF

sync up a car chase to your favorite song and then pat yourself on the back

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steven Speilberg must be kicking himself after a few months of lockdown editing on West Side Story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

digitally replace him with new golden boy timothee chalamet!

@woketwitter "We regret to inform you that timothee....(1/49)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it came out during the filming of Cats that Taylor Swift is pretty much owned as property by her dad, who forced Tom Hooper to include the catnip orgy scene because it made her "sexier"

Taylor Swift's life is an absolute rabbit-hole of staggeringly awful that nobody wants to go down

Sorry this is from a couple days ago, but this is a really wild leap to make from the story that was told:

quote:

And so in the middle of this meeting, Dad just pipes up and says, ‘Hey, I got an idea. What if you had a scene where they are all at the Jellicle Ball and they all get catnipped so they all just start going crazy?’

Tom Hooper goes, ‘What’s catnipped?’

All of us are like, ‘You don’t know what catnip is?’ We start pulling up all these YouTube videos of cats on catnip.

Tom looks at Dad and goes, ‘That’s going to be in the movie. That’s exactly what we’re going to do.’ So my dad walks around going, ‘Hey, I’m the reason there’s catnip in the scene.’

There is absolutely nothing about it making Swift sexier, nothing about her being 'property' and nothing about Hooper being forced to use that idea and I have no idea where you got any of that from. I think it's important not to make salacious assumptions about complete strangers when there is zero evidence behind it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How did Tom Hooper not know what that was.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The thing that I’ve noticed is that if they are an abuser, they end up being a serial abuser and have lots of allegations pop-up. Not to say that every situation is like that, but the ones that get away with it once or twice then think they can get away with it always. And then you break open the floodgates and you get a hundred stories and at least a few have evidence, etc. that can’t be refuted.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also this exists: https://twitter.com/ChemicalMishap/status/1273159524791259137?s=20

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah that's the real question. And they chose that man to direct Cats??

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

because despite directing the film cats, he hates cats.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

professor metis posted:

Yeah that's the real question. And they chose that man to direct Cats??

Tom Hooper on Cats preproduction meeting day 1: Okay, I'm going to need someone to explain to me what a cat is.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not entirely sure anyone ever actually did explain that to him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

teacup posted:

Boywhiz88 posted:

The thing that I’ve noticed is that if they are an abuser, they end up being a serial abuser and have lots of allegations pop-up. Not to say that every situation is like that, but the ones that get away with it once or twice then think they can get away with it always. And then you break open the floodgates and you get a hundred stories and at least a few have evidence, etc. that can’t be refuted.

Basically the point I was trying to make, which somehow some chose to interpret as me rubbing one out to rape fantasies. Like, how?

Pardon loving me for being pretty sure that there'll be more, like often seems the case.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 20, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vagabundo posted:

Basically the point I was trying to make, which somehow some chose to interpret as me rubbing one out to rape fantasies. Like, how?

Pardon loving me for being pretty sure that there'll be more, like often seems the case.

That sounds a lot more reasonable, though I'm not happy about it!!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Vagabundo posted:

I never said you were doing that

I’m just saying it harms the cause to just randomly throw it out there

I agree many times it’s worse than the initial reports! But in some it isn’t. Also it doesn’t matter! One rape is bad enough! We can still feel bad about enjoying baby driver all over again without going “surely he is a serial rapist”

I mean it’s not the biggest deal but throwing out imaginary information is a bad thing online with many news items these days and it’s led to some own goals that have made proper reporting and discussion look bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not entirely sure anyone ever actually did explain that to him.

He also didn't understand how CGI worked, and they couldn't get him to do anything with the production footage because he didn't want to see it until it was finished.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you watch Cats, it becomes clear Tom Hooper also doesn't understand how making films works.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

One of the major things about Cats was also that people who knew the original Cats dance/music routines were also insulted by how bad the work on the movie was. Hooper was completely out of his depth and it's so bad that people have re-examined older Tom Hooper movies and realized that these are also quite poo poo in many cases. Cats was a perfect storm of terrible though, because Les Miserables didn't require require a bunch of CG for example (nor did Cats, but one thing at a time).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we're doing gaming right?

cuz this one's a doozy

https://twitter.com/SJBsMama/status/1274175397337411586?s=20
https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1274322238905475078?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

apparently smaller wrestling circuits too

https://twitter.com/rwrhouston/status/1274476124874190849?s=20

https://twitter.com/IPW_NZ/status/1274469380202524673?s=20

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The entire wrestling industry is a #metoo bomb waiting to go off, as the baseline behavior of even top of the industry wrestlers is amazingly scummy. One of the most famous women wrestlers ran a prostitution ring using recruits that helped lead women's wrestling to mostly be a joke with no punchline for decades.

As well, it's come out that many WWE-tier wrestlers have #metoo problems and there have already been firings.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/speakingout-wwe-airs-matt-riddle-debut-releases-jack-gallagher/

Notably the main difference between Gallagher and Riddle is that WWE wants to push Riddle, and Gallagher is a smaller wrestler generally used as a comedy act/jobber.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 21, 2020

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The entire wrestling industry is a #metoo bomb waiting to go off, as the baseline behavior of even top of the industry wrestlers is amazingly scummy. One of the most famous women wrestlers ran a prostitution ring using recruits that helped lead women's wrestling to mostly be a joke with no punchline for decades.

As well, it's come out that many WWE-tier wrestlers have #metoo problems and there have already been firings.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/speakingout-wwe-airs-matt-riddle-debut-releases-jack-gallagher/

Notably the main difference between Gallagher and Riddle is that WWE wants to push Riddle, and Gallagher is a smaller wrestler generally used as a comedy act/jobber.

It isn't waiting to go off - it's been blowing up the last few days. SA has a thread- link below. Ranges across the spectrum of sexual assault and abuse, all levels of the sport, mostly in the UK/EU and US for now, but people are waiting to see if Japanese wresting has its own reckoning.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928394&pagenumber=32&perpage=40

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Within 10 posts the steam game thread had 2 people chiming in to go "oh, so we just believe whatever someone posted on twitter?"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

pentyne posted:

Within 10 posts the steam game thread had 2 people chiming in to go "oh, so we just believe whatever someone posted on twitter?"

First of all, it's a Steam thread so of course, and second of all, it's Gaming Darling Chris Avellone of Obsidian so there's going to be a ton of people either saying it didn't happen or it's not a big deal if it did happen. People who'll be more angry at people calling him out than the fact that he's a rapey creeper.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you know anything at all about the pro wrestling industry this is utterly unsurprising. WWF, as was, covered up the hilariously obvious murder of a woman by one of it's big stars in the 1980s. It's a business littered with sadists,dealers, junkies, crooks and brain injuries.

By Vince McMahon's own words he is in "the garbage business".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pentyne posted:

That's absurd because Games will jump on any "leak" posted to Twitter as being a valid leak

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of the wrestlers involved, Matt Riddle, had his lawyer release a press statement on his behalf. In fact, the lawyer had to release it 3 times. Why? The first time the statement was printed out on a sheet of address labels:

https://twitter.com/WWFCody/status/1274100043872690183?s=20

Second time, it was released on a sheet of CD labels. It was only by the third release that he got it "right".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Davros1 posted:

One of the wrestlers involved, Matt Riddle, had his lawyer release a press statement on his behalf. In fact, the lawyer had to release it 3 times. Why? The first time the statement was printed out on a sheet of address labels:

https://twitter.com/WWFCody/status/1274100043872690183?s=20

Second time, it was released on a sheet of CD labels. It was only by the third release that he got it "right".

looool

"look I printed it on address labels in case you wanted a lawyer for future reference"

"look I printed it on a cd label it's because I would like you to have my mixtape for it is fire"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There was a whole thing about five years ago when Avellone parted ways with Obsidian and was almost definitely fired. Wonder if this had anything to do with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you know anything at all about the pro wrestling industry this is utterly unsurprising. WWF, as was, covered up the hilariously obvious murder of a woman by one of it's big stars in the 1980s. It's a business littered with sadists,dealers, junkies, crooks and brain injuries.

By Vince McMahon's own words he is in "the garbage business".

I mean, poo poo, look at how they glorify the Fabulous Moolah, and the poo poo she basically got away with.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know what you mean. Let's name a pay per view event after our company's known people trafficker, in the year 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

There was a whole thing about five years ago when Avellone parted ways with Obsidian and was almost definitely fired. Wonder if this had anything to do with it.

He was fired for accusing his bosses of shady payment deals and not following up on promised agreements with him.

He had a major online meltdown where he started naming names and slinging mud at his personal enemies or something, he nuked his own reputation and basically exiled himself to the hard right video game websites where he was crowned as their king and master.

His raging alcohol problem was also an open secret and all his cheerleaders on the hard R gamer forums praised him for being honest about it.

Now it seems he's trying to pull a dan Harmon and pretend to be all sorry and recalcitrant about his 20+ years treating women like poo poo in the industry.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 21, 2020