Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is the literal opposite of her backstory.

Yeah you can just get a license to use your quirk for businesses and stuff, her parents just didn't want her to limit herself to just following in their footsteps just to make things easier for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ochako should be the secret main villain, tbh. Would make things more interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Swell Entertainment did not read the Artemis Fowl books but DID watch the apparently bottomlessly awful Artemis Fowl and happily it is entirely terrible if you come into it cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzPfVjqRmu4

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The new Thought Slime is very nice. It’s about an ugly thing, but it’s a good take on the inherent tendency of nostalgia to tend toward reactionary politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZHN-OFdEtM

I’m particularly struck by the aside that people born 1980-1995 or so are obsessed with the past because the 1990s presented the illusion of stability to child minds while the 21st century has been full of unavoidable horror, with the clear implication that zoomers hate us and our fixation on the past so much because their childhoods were as horrible and bleak as the rest of their lives.

I get zoomers now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I meant to quote this above but missed it and thought it was a different video.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Caprisunsport is spot on.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m particularly struck by the aside that people born 1980-1995 or so are obsessed with the past because the 1990s presented the illusion of stability to child minds while the 21st century has been full of unavoidable horror, with the clear implication that zoomers hate us and our fixation on the past so much because their childhoods were as horrible and bleak as the rest of their lives.

I get zoomers now.

??? since when do zoomers hate millennials? Pretty sure they hate boomers like everyone else does.

Also a person born in 1995 probably has far more in common with zoomers than they do with a person born in 1980 but that's the rub with meaningless generational labels.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

??? since when do zoomers hate millennials? Pretty sure they hate boomers like everyone else does.

Also a person born in 1995 probably has far more in common with zoomers than they do with a person born in 1980 but that's the rub with meaningless generational labels.

https://www.insider.com/gen-z-dragging-millennials-on-tiktok-harry-potter-zoomers-twitter-2020-6
https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/living/gen-z-vs-millennial-tiktok-insults-a4469291.html
https://mashable.com/article/tiktok-millennial-generation-z-zoomer-comments/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's like the mildest dunking imaginable

(and pretty funny)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There was a funny tik tok about all the millenials who can't stop referring back to Harry Potter because it was the most involved reading they did of their own initiative before they graduated from high school and never read books that weren't related to school work again. This means the generations are at war, and not even against their mutual enemy: Gen Xers.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 20, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Lol that's like friendly roasting, and also, the kids are right.

anyway, here's an excellent youtube video that we can all enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWV1G8dAck

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There was a funny tik tok about all the millenials who can't stop referring back to Harry Potter because it was the most involved reading they did of their own initiative before they graduated from high school and never read books that weren't related to school work again. This means the generations are at war, and not even against their mutual enemy: Gen Xers.

I think I qualify as a millennial, but I read a bunch of books outside of school work that weren't Harry Potter, so I feel better about myself.

Granted, none of those books probably qualified as high literature, but then I never felt like checking out A Farewell to Arms, because at the time, I didn't think it would hold my interest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The new Thought Slime is very nice. It’s about an ugly thing, but it’s a good take on the inherent tendency of nostalgia to tend toward reactionary politics.

I get zoomers now.

Me watching the video: "lol, TheQuarterman sure is a stupid dipshi[tweet from Habley literally defending Hitler]... Oh. gently caress :stare:"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Writing articles that amount to "I saw a viral tweet" should be a felony.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I get zoomers now.

i like thought slime alot and i wish his stuff was bigger. hell i love his video on batman because he points out all the same poo poo i do about the character and the issues they bring up.

on nostalgia for the 90s. i guess it never hit me as hard as it hit various other nerds toxic or not. i was born in 91 and was hospitalized a ton and other poo poo, so it was mostly playing with star wars figures and sci fi stuff, that poo poo was my childhood. but i guess i dont get the whole "it has to be the same and can never evolve or change" poo poo. like, i grew up with the prequels and while i have a soft spot for TPM and the lore/toys, i still think they are bad movies on a ton of levels. like sure i love poo poo that gives me a nostalgia rush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2yDcrhb0A&t i know this game will.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 20, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

every generation ultimately hates the one above them. And im here for it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The idea that people born in 1995 have the capability of remembering anything about the 90s, or even anything significant about the actual world pre-9/11 seems kind of obviously wrong

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Saagonsa posted:

The idea that people born in 1995 have the capability of remembering anything about the 90s, or even anything significant about the actual world pre-9/11 seems kind of obviously wrong

This is kinda how I feel. I mean, some 90's stuff spilled over after 2001, but I was born in 93 and I consider myself an aughts kid.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Siselmo posted:

This is kinda how I feel. I mean, some 90's stuff spilled over after 2001, but I was born in 93 and I consider myself an aughts kid.

Yeah same! Also born in 93. Alot of people would say I'm a "90s kid" (TM) but like, I was a baby/toddler until 97 so that's really only 3 years of the 90s I barely remember. I'm a 2000s kid 100%

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Generations have as much validity as horoscopes.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

Eh, there's probably some validity to the thought that people born in a similar timeframe with roughly similar experience with economic trends and cultural zeitgeist would have similarities in their worldview. However, the common generational narrative (boomers -> gen x -> millennial -> zoomers) is extremely centered on American (and, to a smaller degree, Western in general) experience, and doesn't map at all to basically any other culture/society, not to mention class/race/immigrant status, etc.

Like, anecdotally and in my experience at least, people born between roughly '84 and '93 anywhere in ex-USSR and tend to have a very different outlook on everything, really, than your usual stereotypical millennial.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
As someone who could probably rate as a zoomer, I do occasionally feel resenment at how much of mainstream culture is remakes of stuff (star trek/wars, ghostbusters, ect.) trying to bank off the nostalgia of people who haven't liked anything new in said series since the turn of the millenium, like we're stuck absorbing the childhood culture of people who aren't even enjoying the repeats. Its not really a coherent complaint, and blaming millenials as a generation instead of the execs who make the decsions is unfair, but it is there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
star trek/wars/ghostbusters is boomer poo poo tbh

I'd take my dad to see the newer ones in theaters and they'd always be packed full of olds

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JustaDamnFool posted:

As someone who could probably rate as a zoomer, I do occasionally feel resenment at how much of mainstream culture is remakes of stuff (star trek/wars, ghostbusters, ect.) trying to bank off the nostalgia of people who haven't liked anything new in said series since the turn of the millenium, like we're stuck absorbing the childhood culture of people who aren't even enjoying the repeats. Its not really a coherent complaint, and blaming millenials as a generation instead of the execs who make the decsions is unfair, but it is there.

Don't worry, we're already up to the 90s, in another few years they'll be remarking stuff from the aughts, and then the teens. The nostalgia cycle is baked into consumerism, and before long they'll be pandering to you like it's going out of style.

Spoiler: if you have even an once of self-awareness, it sucks even worse to be the target of that poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Years ago I took a look at my VHSes and realized just how old most of those Disney movies were, so if I were asked I couldn't really name a single 90's thing I enjoy.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well... do adaptations of comics made in the 90s count? I mean, the easy answer to "what was good in the 90s" is Batman, X-men, maybe Spider-man if you're into that, but only one of those three was particularly faithful to what it was adapting.

If we discount that, or Star Trek... or Star Wars coming back... hmmm.

Oh! Animaniacs! That was mostly 90s! Technically wouldn't exist without Tiny Toons which in turn was framed as a spinoff of Looney Tunes, but not directly tied to any pre-90s franchise!

And of course video games made great leaps, although even then the absolute biggest 'things' in gaming were from the 80s originally. Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy...

So if you're inclined to be pedantic, the only truly 90s Big Deal thing is... Harry Potter. Which didn't fully blow up until the movie released in 2001, but technically started in the 90s. And is probably the weakest thing I've name dropped here, or at least definitely is now... in large part because it hasn't been recycled through the nostalgia-driven remake machine and is tied to its original creator, who is just The Worst.

Comparatively gen z/zoomers have Avatar so I think they're doing pretty good.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I mean, I just played video games in the 90’s. New medium and all that. TV was overrated if it wasn’t Gargoyles or Pokémon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Well... do adaptations of comics made in the 90s count? I mean, the easy answer to "what was good in the 90s" is Batman, X-men, maybe Spider-man if you're into that, but only one of those three was particularly faithful to what it was adapting.

If we discount that, or Star Trek... or Star Wars coming back... hmmm.

Oh! Animaniacs! That was mostly 90s! Technically wouldn't exist without Tiny Toons which in turn was framed as a spinoff of Looney Tunes, but not directly tied to any pre-90s franchise!

And of course video games made great leaps, although even then the absolute biggest 'things' in gaming were from the 80s originally. Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy...

So if you're inclined to be pedantic, the only truly 90s Big Deal thing is... Harry Potter. Which didn't fully blow up until the movie released in 2001, but technically started in the 90s. And is probably the weakest thing I've name dropped here, or at least definitely is now... in large part because it hasn't been recycled through the nostalgia-driven remake machine and is tied to its original creator, who is just The Worst.

Comparatively gen z/zoomers have Avatar so I think they're doing pretty good.

Not even good from the 90's just 'What the gently caress was actually made in the 90's?' for me. Like, my shelf of VHSes was all over the place, Peter Pan, The Black Cauldron, An American Tail, The Master of Disguise, The Fox and the Hound...

Well, nevermind, looking these up, Toy Story, Hercules and The Lion King were all 90's releases so that answers my question.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

i am tim! posted:

I mean, I just played video games in the 90’s. New medium and all that. TV was overrated if it wasn’t Gargoyles or Pokémon.

I am constantly upset that we haven't seen a Gargoyles revival.

I mean, gently caress, do it while Keith David is still alive. He came back for Spawn in MK11, let him do his favorite role ever again

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 90's gave us Batman: The Animated Series so it gets a passing grade, media wise.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

according to the fun "what generation do you belong to? quiz" someone left in the break room at work, i was born in 1918

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh man, Stormfront. I use to go there ironically to laugh at the idiots. (this was back in 2010/2011) I use to find it so funny to just laugh at these racist losers getting so offended and outraged whenever there was a black or gay person in a movie. They had these giant threads about which movies and video games to avoid because it had too many minorities in it.

I used to do the exact same thing. The last time I lurked there was when the 2011 Norway attacks happened and it turned out that the perpetrator was a member, IIRC they locked everything down for a while for damage control.

I always used to laugh about it back then but I feel so naive for doing so now. :(

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

i am tim! posted:

Ah snap, I forgot Gargoyles! Gargoyles definitely deserves to be singled out for quality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Generations as popularly understood aren’t meaningful and don’t really exist because material conditions determine what we experience, but in the specific case of why people in their 30s experience nostalgia to a pathological degree while people slightly younger feel contempt for that behavior or can’t understand it—even if just in a joking way—it makes sense to talk about when you were born because material conditions did that to you.

But yes basically things have been getting worse every year for a very long time now and we should be acting in solidarity, young or old.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wrt generation conversations anyone who hasn't heard the excellent ep the Citations Needed podcast did on how it gets pushed in media owes it to themselves to give it a listen.

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/episode-38-the-medias-bogus-generation-obsession

quote:

“Baby Boomers are bloating the social safety net!” “GenXers are changing the nature of work!” “Millennials are killing the housing market!". The media endlessly feeds us stories about how one generation or another is engaging in some collective act of moral failing that, either explicitly or by implication, harms another generation. It’s a widely-mocked cliché at this point, namely the near-constant analyses detailing what Millennials have “killed” or “ruined” lately - everything from Applebee's to diamonds to top sheets to beer to napkins.

The first rule of drama––and by implication, the media––is to create tension. But what if tensions that actually exist in our society, like white supremacy and class conflict, are too unpleasant and dicey to touch––upsetting advertisers and media owners who benefit from these systems? To replace these real tensions in society, the media repeatedly relies on dubious and entirely safe points of conflict, like those between two arbitrary generations. It’s not the rich or racism that’s holding me back--it’s old people running up entitlement spending or lazy youth who don’t want to work!

In this episode we talk about why this media trope isn’t just hacky and cliche, but also subtly racist and reactionary.

We are joined by Adam Conover, host of Adam Ruins Everything on truTV.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m always very skeptical when I hear people talking in terms of broad demographics that couldn’t contain even a fraction of the variety of human experience. No matter the intent, this mentality only serves to oversimplify things, often reducing them to media-driven clichés that may not have been accurate in the first place.

There are milestone events that a lot of meaning gets attached to, though. The JFK assassination was the big one for a time, or the fall of the USSR, or 9/11, but even the biggest things aren’t going to affect everyone, or affect everyone in the same way. I’m sure in ten years or so the coronavirus pandemic will be looked at like this, but there’s still no way of capturing every single person’s reaction to it and sticking a single label on them all. Not that that’ll stop the pundits from coming up with asinine terms like “post-coronavirus generation” or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
when we needed them most, our heroes returned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuS8ek6OM44&t=255s

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, they just announced they're doing a live-action Animorphs movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, they just announced they're doing a live-action Animorphs movie.
"war is cool, actually" - Animorphs, 2021(?)