Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

wwe tried to cover up an active pedophile on their roster and i can't be sure whether that's going to be the most awful thing they end up doing this year or even this month

Deciding what the worst thing WWE did that year is has become quite difficult in the last decade, but this year the variety of vile poo poo they pulled makes it especially hard. It's like comparing pandemic apples to pedophile oranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, Smackdown was on.

Smackdown Results 6/19:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • New Intercontinental Champion AJ Styles forced Daniel Bryan to present him with the belt, and belittled Bryan's suggestion he be a fighting champion taking on all comers. Matt Riddle, who apparently is a real-life rapist, came out and got into a fight with AJ.
  • Matt Riddle defeated Intercontinental Champion AJ Styles in a non-title match. AJ will have a title match against Drew Gulak next week.
  • Jeff Hardy was interviewed about losing clean to Sheamus at the PPV, he promised he would beat Sheamus.
  • Chad Gable knocked down Mojo Rawley when Mojo tried to ambush him from behind.
  • Chad Gable defeated Mojo Rawley in a singles match.
  • Mandy Rose was a guest on The Dirt Sheet with Miz and Morrison. They brought out Sonya Deville and the two ended up fighting.
  • The New Day (C) defeated Lucha House Party in a non-title tag match. Shinsuke Nakamura and Cesaro jumped New Day post-match.
  • Various members of the women's roster were all trying to stake their claim to a shot at Bayley's Women's Championship. Alexa Bliss noticed Nikki Cross was missing.
  • Sheamus voewed to "toast" Jeff Hardy next week and told people to bring champagne.
  • Nikki Cross jumped Bayley and Sasha at the announce desk, then demanded a match against Sasha Banks.
  • Sasha Banks defeated Nikki Cross in a singles match.
  • Titus O'Neil is a finalist for the 2020 Muhammad Ali Humanitarian Award.
  • Firefly Funhouse aired, interrupted by Universal Champion Braun Strowman. Bray said he had raised the dead, and turned into the old Wyatt Family version of Bray Wyatt, blew out his lantern and told Braun to "run".
  • GDT Discussion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Leaving the fact that they prominently featured an apparent rapist aside (and that's already one hell of a sentence to start out with), this sounds like another complete nothing show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Matt Riddle got a clean win on one of the company's biggest names on the same day he was named a rapist

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rarity posted:

Matt Riddle got a clean win on one of the company's biggest names on the same day he was named a rapist

Look, this was taped like a week ago and you can't just edit out Riddle when he's about to beat the IC champ and get an title sho--

quote:

AJ will have a title match against Drew Gulak next week.

... oh

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What a bad show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Leaving the fact that they prominently featured an apparent rapist aside (and that's already one hell of a sentence to start out with), this sounds like another complete nothing show.

Apparently the Bayley/Sasha stuff was really good, but that's not really a surprise and they're doing that on the other shows too now.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So now Bray is going full Matt Hardy with his gimmicks?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My guess is that Braun is gonna beat this gimmick too, then he'll finally do the Fiend and beat him that way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, Smackdown was on.

[*] Matt Riddle defeated Intercontinental Champion AJ Styles in a non-title match. AJ will have a title match against Drew Gulak next week.

The most WWE course of events. Rapist challenger gets to beat champion in a non-title match, champion has title match with someone else next week.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The best version of Bray was when he was aping De Niro from Cape Fear, they should just go back to that and pretend the last 6 years never happened

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

[*] Jeff Hardy was interviewed about losing clean to Sheamus at the PPV, he promised he would beat Sheamus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

So now Bray is going full Matt Hardy with his gimmicks?

More Foley than Hardy

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Totally read the "oh, hi Matt" as Tommy Wiseau :xd:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
The smackdown thread didn’t have a lot of enthusiasm last night. I can’t imagine why.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
yea that's what everyone wanted, Braun vs Bray over and over and over

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It owns that they finally put the title on Braun like 3 years too late when nobody likes him anymore, and he wasn't even supposed to be champion but only got it because Roman yeeted out into self-quarantine.

So of course they have no ideas for him beyond rehashing that time he was in the Wyatt Family for like 20 minutes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the jeff hardy meme is sad because he is legally and unethically stuck there thanks to terrible contracts and legal pressure. although he sucks so idk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

0 sympathy for drunk drivers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't wait for Bayley & Sasha to get all the ratings and WWE to decide to shove Charlotte into the middle of it, because clearly she's what the fans are really waiting for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what's harder for me to process. That HHH tried to sell the idea that they have a disinfectant that once applied once kills germs on a surface for months or that the WWE employs Jack Ryan specifically to get rid of online content about its employees being sex pests.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This thread is the only wrestling community thing that I have been following recently. Until some people started joking about there not being much of NXT UK left, I was under the impression that there were only a couple of people being accused of sex crimes. Turns out there are dozens of people accused of all types of abuse and there is a whole thread documenting it. Just a heads up to anyone else who is very casually reading wrestling stuff and isn't wired into what's going on like I was.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

lmao I had a lot going on and kinda tuned out wrestling for a week, reading the latter half of this thread in one go has been QUITE A RIDE

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How often should a challenger get a crack at the belt? I ask because after Braun beat bray the first time, and I feel like that should have been it for bray in terms of championship matches since it’s not the champion getting a rematch and it’s not like the match ended in controversy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think normally it should be if you lose the title match, the feud should end. WwE will stretch things for months though.

Also, I think in WWE’s mind Bray and Fiend are separate characters so that they can have Bray take a pin without hurting The Fiend. Braun only defeated funhouse Bray but not the actual Fiend.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no problem with title rematches but it should be organic and conditional. Like if Wrestler X wins the title by cheating and then drops it on his first defense, gently caress him. But if Wrestler Y held the title for 6 months and defeated a ton of people then yeah, sure, there's no reason for him to fall to the bottom of the title. A certain number of successful title defenses should add up to at least one chance for yourself, I think. And like if a challenger loses to the champ... you know, maybe it makes sense for him to still be in contention but there should be a bunch of other parties who are and object.

I think that's the heart of my problem with WWE booking and the "rematch" issue. Its not the rematch itself. Its that everyone else on the roster just doesn't care and goes about their business waiting patiently for one of them to be called to the front of the line.

It makes sense for Bray to want the title. It makes sense for Braun to be willing to face him. It doesn't make sense that there isn't a mass of people saying "gently caress him, he had his chance, give me one."

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

It makes sense for Bray to want the title. It makes sense for Braun to be willing to face him. It doesn't make sense that there isn't a mass of people saying "gently caress him, he had his chance, give me one."

This is NJPW's default mode of things, while the loser of the match is still a crumbled heap and the champ is celebrating their victory the next guy comes out with "I won a high profile match tonight and that's why I'm next" (or w/e their claim is), and if the challenger has a solid claim the match is made right then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tonfa posted:

This is NJPW's default mode of things, while the loser of the match is still a crumbled heap and the champ is celebrating their victory the next guy comes out with "I won a high profile match tonight and that's why I'm next" (or w/e their claim is), and if the challenger has a solid claim the match is made right then.

The problem with this booking is it only works in a company where wins & losses matter to some extent.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

very similar to their covid safety precautions

Triple H has a magical sword spray for sexual harassment too!?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Jerusalem posted:

My guess is that Braun is gonna beat this gimmick too, then he'll finally do the Fiend and beat him that way.

That or Braun beats Bray Classic and then after that, The Fiend beats Braun and everyone is left wondering why he wasn't just the Fiend the whole time and also why we're right back where we were a year ago with this terrible dogshit character.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
He should turn into Husky Harris first.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

0 sympathy for drunk drivers

I hope people that feel this way have the same stance for Jericho and Matt Hardy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The majority of wrestlers who debuted in the 90s or earlier if we're being honest. and some after that. all they ever did was drive and go to bars. didn't have smartphones or any poo poo. There weren't enough designated drivers to go around in any fed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

. There weren't enough designated drivers to go around in any fed

Just don't drink, it's not hard

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

lol

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

STAC Goat posted:

WWE employs Jack Ryan specifically to get rid of online content about its employees being sex pests.

Wow Jesus Christ this company.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'll relay your msg

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rhonne posted:

It exists, it's called pepper spray. I doubt Triple H is a fan.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rhonne posted:

He's more of a hammer guy than a mace guy :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hirez posted:

yea that's what everyone wanted, Braun vs Bray over and over and over

Hey now, it could be another legendary and great rivalry that captures the fans’ imagination, like Cena v. Orton did.