Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Its a guillotine not a healing device in the first place. The purpose is to restore the damage done by the criminal to the victim.

I never caught on to that but drat is that an awesome concept now that you call it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Why didn't Marcus just get 4-5 other people and then have everyone donate a little bit of life to Susan instead of cranking it up to MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

McCloud posted:

Why didn't Marcus just get 4-5 other people and then have everyone donate a little bit of life to Susan instead of cranking it up to MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Because he was a lovesick idiot too busy panicking to think clearly. And possibly, considering that she wasn't attracted to him and wasn't ever going to be with him (creepy as hell short story aside), possibly he decided that he'd rather die for her than live without her.

Between Marcus and Lennier, JMS had some things to say about the line between love and obsession, and what happens to people who cross from one to the other.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

McCloud posted:

Because then it wouldn’t have been him saving her, it would have been the others. This way, when he drains his entire life force and dies, Ivonova will realize how much he’s sacrificed and they’ll live happily ever after he wakes up from draining his entire life force and...wait...what...wait, oh poo poo wait, is the machine on? somebody turn off the machine I need to rethink///***

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There was a time and permission factor involved too. Everyone else was too busy to have time for the ethics debate they would have demanded to have if he'd let anyone else in on the plan.

I choose to believe Marcus is the genuine nice guy that nice guy creeps think they are. Susan even says he never asked anything in return and he never mopes or complains that he deserves her, Lennier style. The short story never happened.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
From how I remember it Medbay was busted up and there were a bunch of unconscious bodies left in his wake, Marcus was pretty laser focused on there being one possible way to save her

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

The short story never happened.

auuuuggghghghghhf

What a completely spectacular exercise in missing the point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Its a guillotine not a healing device in the first place.

You are literally ignoring the spoken text of the episode to make a point that doesn't exist.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

There was a time and permission factor involved too. Everyone else was too busy to have time for the ethics debate they would have demanded to have if he'd let anyone else in on the plan.

I choose to believe Marcus is the genuine nice guy that nice guy creeps think they are. Susan even says he never asked anything in return and he never mopes or complains that he deserves her, Lennier style. The short story never happened.

Babylon 5 in general has a strong theme of aggressive self-sacrifice in it, too.

G'Kar, Londo, Marcus, Sheridan, Those Drazi idiots from 4x06, probably others.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jedit posted:

You are literally ignoring the spoken text of the episode to make a point that doesn't exist.

I'm notorious for :justpost: and being wrong so totally can be. Could you be more specific about the spoken text? All I had available (legally) to watch was locally translated version so I might have misunderstood the details

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 20, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

younger races thread posted:

I guess the shadows have other allies? Might there be an entire axis of space evil out at the rim?

:allears:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

auuuuggghghghghhf

What a completely spectacular exercise in missing the point.

It was deliberately written to be controversial. I just don’t think JMS realized that the controversy would end up being whether the story should be treated as noncanonical or whether all copies of it should be destroyed and the thing entirely erased from our minds.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm pretty sure it was another episode designed to set up a Star Trek situation, and solve it Babylon 5 style.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not familiar with the short story in question. Is there any value in reading it or should I just go on being unaware?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not familiar with the short story in question. Is there any value in reading it or should I just go on being unaware?

Factoring in the usual disclaimers about each of us having different tastes and what offends me may not you and so on and so forth, I personally am not a happier person as a Babylon 5 fan for having read it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ultrafilter posted:

The last time that story came up, there were calls for brain bleach, and we congratulated the one goon who didn't look it up for being the Vir to our Londo. So...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jng2058 posted:

Factoring in the usual disclaimers about each of us having different tastes and what offends me may not you and so on and so forth, I personally am not a happier person as a Babylon 5 fan for having read it.

Concur.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Don’t try and track it down, don’t even look for a plot summary. It’s that bad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

If you are really curious, just know that it’s a story that’s intended to be romantic but instead is cringey and sort of pathetic. That’s really all you need to know. If someone had told me it was some sad shut-in’s fan wank I would have believed them.

I guess I wasn’t as mentally damaged as most, but it’s honestly not worth digging up.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Let's put it this way: it purports to offer a happy ending for Marcus. If it had instead told the story of Marcus being revived and going off alone to live on an asteroid, where he spent the rest of his life hallucinating that Ivanova was alive and they were living there together, that would have been considerably less horrifying and would have presented a far more healthy situation than what the story provides.

Hell, replace the hallucination with a life-sized Ivanova pillow and it's still a healthier situation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If you've watched AI, you've already read it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You know what, I believe in giving people a choice instead of acting like seventh graders with a Playboy.

https://www.scribd.com/document/79027439/Babylon-5-Space-Time-the-Incurable-Romantic
https://dokumen.tips/documents/babylon-5-space-time-the-incurable-romantic.html

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 21, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You want to just share the pain. don't fib.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

You want to just share the pain. don't fib.

No, it's more combat against the I KNOW MORE THAN YOU AND WON'T SHARE IT attitude that unpleasant nerds display and is one of the things I most despise about fandoms. I think the story loving sucked but when you get a dozen people in here one-upping each other's level of detail to demonstrate how much more about it they know in what I guess you'd call "performative shepherding," it's kind of a lovely way to proceed. Similar to how the blindwatch spoilers have gone, really.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I kinda thought of Marcus and Lennier as the goofus and gallant of nice guys, kinda like the polar opposite of the nice guy spectrum. That short story erases that distinction and just draws a big fat equation sign between them.

Also man did JMS have a hateboner for Ivanova for some reason? Her mom killed herself, her dad died estranged and bitter from her, her brother died young, her girlfriend was murdered and then dissected, Marcus died to save her life, and if the actress hadn't left she would have been the one dating psycho cult leader Byron. Like drat, give a girl a break, eh?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

I kinda thought of Marcus and Lennier as the goofus and gallant of nice guys, kinda like the polar opposite of the nice guy spectrum. That short story erases that distinction and just draws a big fat equation sign between them.

Also man did JMS have a hateboner for Ivanova for some reason? Her mom killed herself, her dad died estranged and bitter from her, her brother died young, her girlfriend was murdered and then dissected, Marcus died to save her life, and if the actress hadn't left she would have been the one dating psycho cult leader Byron. Like drat, give a girl a break, eh?

JMS wanted to bone Claudia Christian right after she’s ended a relationship but the date went badly and things were weird between them after that.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Marcus story is basically the goon printer story on roids and it sucks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Midjack posted:

No, it's more combat against the I KNOW MORE THAN YOU AND WON'T SHARE IT attitude that unpleasant nerds display and is one of the things I most despise about fandoms. I think the story loving sucked but when you get a dozen people in here one-upping each other's level of detail to demonstrate how much more about it they know in what I guess you'd call "performative shepherding," it's kind of a lovely way to proceed. Similar to how the blindwatch spoilers have gone, really.

I wasn't serious.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TK-42-1 posted:

The Marcus story is basically the goon printer story on roids and it sucks.

Honestly I feel like that comparison is a bit unfair to the printer-carrying goon.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't the phrase incurable romantic is as romantic as people think it is tbh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Midjack posted:

JMS wanted to bone Claudia Christian right after she’s ended a relationship but the date went badly and things were weird between them after that.

...well, I think that explains a lot

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Didn’t he send her a limo full of flowers or something, just like he has Corwin do in that super awful episode?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Midjack posted:

That’s not what’s happening. Anyone can google it, it’s not like the B5 masters that one one guy has.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I actually wanted Londo to get a taste of revenge for it.

Oh man, poor VG is gonna feel bad about this later.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah all of VG’s latest posts are kind of a cross between :allears: and :stonklol:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s not what’s happening. Anyone can google it, it’s not like the B5 masters that one one guy has.

So then say nothing or say why it's bad instead of just going "omigod it's soooo bad you wouldn't believe, OH NO DON'T LOOK FOR IT" like most of the replies did. Don't treat newcomers like dumbshits, treat them like equals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Were the season titles ever displayed anywhere outside the internet and the box sets? I think it might be a point of interest for the blind thread, but I don't want to even mention them if a regular viewer back then wouldn't have known about them. Amazon doesn't display them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah all of VG’s latest posts are kind of a cross between :allears: and :stonklol:

He's going to be annoyed when he finds out why 3rd August 2258 was given as a Wednesday when it's actually going to be a Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

I haven’t read her autobiography and only know part of this story. Perhaps you could elaborate at least enough to explain why you think this made a difference in the writing? When did their “date” happen in the course of production?

My favorite is Bill Mumy telling JMS he thought Lennier was in love with Delenn and JMS responding with a version of “are you sure you want that?” No failed attempt to date required.