Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1271128262240948224

This one was a pain in the rear end to make, but I really like how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
all of these are so neat :allears:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Raaaaarrr:

It's a lino print! Could've been printed better! Still, I'll take it.

Depicted is the 1964 version of Godzilla attacking Austin (TX), specifically the dirty sixth street area downtown. As I posted in another thread, I have zero idea why I wanted to make a print of that in particular, but... here we are.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

mudskipp posted:

Some seriously colourful & high contrast work in the thread since I last popped in, it's great!

This painting is from the end of spring, the canopy has filled in in the woods now so I think it's time to start a different type of painting approach that fits in better with that. I have really enjoyed this stint of dotting leaves amongst glazed paint though.

I really like this! I love the contrasts. The dark at the bottom works really well with the light sky. That’s harder to do than it should be.

I really like Godzilla too. Great perspective

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Went to a wine and paint thing with my mum where the theme was paint your pet. So I did. Acrylic on canvas:

The cat in question:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mudskipp posted:

Some seriously colourful & high contrast work in the thread since I last popped in, it's great!

This painting is from the end of spring, the canopy has filled in in the woods now so I think it's time to start a different type of painting approach that fits in better with that. I have really enjoyed this stint of dotting leaves amongst glazed paint though.

This is really gorgeous, I love the colors but also just how... I don't know, 'clean' it is? The grass and leaves look so neat and orderly, but not in a way that makes them look unnatural! I really dig the style.

I drew this over the last week

Acrylic pen, fineliner, gel pen

I've committed to drawing maybe 30-40 more landscapes like this then making a coffee table book

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Thanks! I think it's because it's individually all very simple in the mark making and range of colours. I've been pushing myself to opt for colour and contrast where possible, for a long time I couldn't imagine how people can use bold lines and colours like in your piece but I'm slowly convincing myself not to merge everything into a mild gradient!

Bit stuck on my current piece but will post it however it comes out once finished, having this thread around is nice to look through in lieu of seeing any stuff in person for awhile!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1274009280933289990

I improved the mechanism, they are a bit harder to set in but they are much more stable and turn more smoothly. Maybe at some point I'll try other things in addition to gears to get more kinds of motion, or maybe more 3D shapes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Chernabog posted:

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1274009280933289990

I improved the mechanism, they are a bit harder to set in but they are much more stable and turn more smoothly. Maybe at some point I'll try other things in addition to gears to get more kinds of motion, or maybe more 3D shapes.

Motorised one. Linked to a camera+facerecognition. It turns the gears when people aren't looking at it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

That would be neat. I might try the motor at some point but I literally know nothing about motors or electronics so it seems like it would be more work as far as the learning process goes.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
This is a painting that I've been working on:

It's based on this photo that I took:

I'm trying to work on two things. The first is colors - I painted this with just red, yellow, blue, white, and black, because I'm trying to get better at mixing and matching colors. The second thing is not over blending, which I've read is a common mistake for novices. If anyone has any thoughts, especially on those two things, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Trippy llama DMT trip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

CobwebMustardseed posted:

This is a painting that I've been working on:

It's based on this photo that I took:

I'm trying to work on two things. The first is colors - I painted this with just red, yellow, blue, white, and black, because I'm trying to get better at mixing and matching colors. The second thing is not over blending, which I've read is a common mistake for novices. If anyone has any thoughts, especially on those two things, I'd appreciate any feedback.

I'm going to assume you are going for a realistic/semi-realistic style. My first advise would be that before your start getting into color you work on other more pressing matters.
-First of all, your perspective is really off. Look at the slopes of the buildings, or the lines on the ground and they are going in entirely different directions. If you are interested in making paintings of buildings I'd tell you to focus on learning about perspective first. This picture is mostly in 1 point perspective which is actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

-Another thing you should learn before you get into color is values. There are three aspects to color: value, hue and saturation. Value is how light/dark something is. Hue is the actual color. Saturation is how vibrant the color is, for example between pure red and pure gray. Value is arguably the most important because it comes into play with or without color and it is what helps everything get volume. If you can make a painting in black and white with good values you should have no problem jumping into color.
The buildings in the photo are some of the darkest spots while in your painting they are some of the lightest. This makes everything look flat and non-dynamic.

-A good rule of thumb is to avoid using pure white, gray or black. If you need a shadow make it a deep blue or purple. If you need a light make it a bright yellow or pink. This makes everything look more vibrant and interesting.
If you look at the latest painting I posted here I actually broke this rule but only because the client didn't want it to look childish so I intentionally de-saturated the colors.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I got inspired by one of the goonArt discord emojis and made a thing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Crossposted from the daily drawing thread but maybe a better fit here.

First and second design are mine. The girl(s) are a famous surrealist photographer. Beer coasters with polycrylic finish. Sorry for the slight blur.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2020

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Trabant posted:

Raaaaarrr:

It's a lino print! Could've been printed better! Still, I'll take it.

Depicted is the 1964 version of Godzilla attacking Austin (TX), specifically the dirty sixth street area downtown. As I posted in another thread, I have zero idea why I wanted to make a print of that in particular, but... here we are.

i love this and also now lino printing by extension. my 3 year old is obsessed with godzilla - would it be possible to get this stamped on a sheet of paper and mailed to me in houston? id like to frame it and put it on his wall!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! I'd be happy to do so, but need to be honest (mostly to myself) about two things:

(1) I'm not exactly thrilled with the quality of the prints I've been getting, namely the uneven coverage. I doubt a kiddo would notice/care, but it does lead me to...

(2) I don't think I'll do another round of prints for a week or two. If your son's still into Godzilla at that point, I'll definitely send you a print. Drop me a PM and I'll update you once I have something halfway decent ready to go.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Trabant posted:

(1) I'm not exactly thrilled with the quality of the prints I've been getting, namely the uneven coverage. I doubt a kiddo would notice/care, but it does lead me to...

Get thee a wooden spoon

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, I tried :negative: Wooden spoon, crappy Speedball baren, copy press, bone knife -- I've never been happy with the results.

At this point I'm reasonably confident that my problem is inconsistent/uneven ink coverage more than anything. Next time around I'll try to keep to multiple thinner layers, since that's apparently what works better with Caligo safe wash inks.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 24, 2020

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

First and second design are mine. The girl(s) are a famous surrealist photographer. Beer coasters with polycrylic finish. Sorry for the slight blur.

I love the coasters you sent me, man. Photos don't really do them justice as the texture, patina, and finish are amazing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chernabog posted:

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1271128262240948224

This one was a pain in the rear end to make, but I really like how it turned out.

What is the origin of this type of painting?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is the origin of this type of painting?

Do you mean the origin as in the technique?
I was inspired by Huichol art where they paste beads over a layer of wax, usually on small sculptures. Although I used silicon glue and "diamond painting" beads for this.

If you meant the thing that's depicted, it is inspired on the "Ophanim" biblical angel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chernabog posted:

Do you mean the origin as in the technique?
I was inspired by Huichol art where they paste beads over a layer of wax, usually on small sculptures. Although I used silicon glue and "diamond painting" beads for this.

If you meant the thing that's depicted, it is inspired on the "Ophanim" biblical angel.

The technique of using gears.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, that. I started as an animator and wanted to make paintings that moved in some way so I came up with the gear concept. I started looking into woodworking to make the gears but I didn't have any of the tools or space for that so I shelved the idea for a few years. Then I started looking into 3D printing and it turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Album cover in progress

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Really like this one! It's like it's from some weird fever dream Sam & Max concept art.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Zoben posted:

Album cover in progress

Looking great as always.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

Album cover in progress

Just amazing :aaaaa:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Breaking bottles again. This is a miller lite 7oz

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

I love the coasters you sent me, man. Photos don't really do them justice as the texture, patina, and finish are amazing.

Glad you liked them. Each one is a little different and lately I can't seem to decide on how glossy I want the finish to be.

Claeaus posted:

Really like this one! It's like it's from some weird fever dream Sam & Max concept art.

Thanks! This is a different run plus a couple others. No polycrylic though.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 1, 2020

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

those are cool

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
More progress

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Zoben posted:

More progress

sick

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Did another burn of Zoben's art today.

So remember the Maya apocalypse "Baktun" back in 2012? Well... I guess it was supposed to be 2020. drat Mayan math. Definitely failed that course in school.

f

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sigma 6 posted:

Did another burn of Zoben's art today.

So remember the Maya apocalypse "Baktun" back in 2012? Well... I guess it was supposed to be 2020. drat Mayan math. Definitely failed that course in school.

f

Please do not bring on the apocalypse with your awesome pictures.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another one of my old design's burned to a 4x4 coaster.

Original here.

HopperUK posted:

Please do not bring on the apocalypse with your awesome pictures.

"As an expert in such things, I believe a death trap awaits us."

:doom:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 8, 2020

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Been feeling a little down this week so I sketched and watercolored a mermaid portrait to cheer myself up.

It didn't work, but at least I made a piece of art.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another ink study of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

Here is a little progress shot.

and some more burning of op art.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

9"x12" Acrylic Paint, Acrylic Marker, Fineliner and Gel Pen on black paper

click here for a giant 600dpi 66mb scan

(Not finished yet)

Another astral projection from quarantine~
I'm trying to work out some charitable auctions with causes like Stop Killer Robots to help good organizations and get myself some more exposure :shrug: Then I want to take all of these and make a coffee table book where they're accompanied by like, fictional almanac pages about these places

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 14, 2020