Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's just showing the subway systems of the world connected in a subway-looking map. You're really reading too much into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

no the imagined infrastructure has to be like THIS

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I.... I guess Dallas has a subway? i mean it goes underground for a bit but really thats it.

Any Urban railway I think.

In the context of a stylized map for a book cover on a book about railway maps it's perfectly fine, without context, yeah, it's cringy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unless they added some very recently since I moved away, I don't think San Jose has any subway

it does have surface light rail, though

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's just showing the subway systems of the world connected in a subway-looking map. You're really reading too much into it.

Specifically, it's made to look like the London Underground map:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah it makes a lot more sense that they couldn't do a very good job when you know they're literally trying to overlay one map on another.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Specifically, it's made to look like the London Underground map:

Which also is wildly distorted:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ITT: Goons discover subway maps are topological maps.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Antigravitas posted:

Meanwhile…

Almost a perfectly solved cat's cradle, except for northern Spain and the direct line from Hamburg to Frankfurt bypassing Köln. I missed a plane last year trying to figure that last one out, and the signage on the station was no help at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

ITT: Goons discover subway maps are topological maps.

Well what do you expect, this is the graphs and charts thread and not maps and globes thread. We can't be expected to know everything!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just Solve the Traveling Salesman Problem, idiots

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Snake Maze posted:

I doubt there’s any not-terrible way to hook up all the current subway systems of the world.

There isn't even a not-terrible way to hook up all the rail systems of the US. Most of the systems are standard gauge, but Philly, DC, and San Francisco are all nonstandard, and San Fran rails are wider by more than a foot, so any inter-gauge rail cars (cars with two sets of wheels that can transition between gauges) would have to be extremely cleverly designed to work in the smaller underground systems. Beyond that, the different clearances of different lines would mean your Super Train would have to be both narrower and shorter than the subways and trains you're used to.

MacheteZombie posted:

I always knew passenger rail was bad but honestly I was shocked by how bad that trip log was.

That's because all sorts of insane laws were made back when trains were the only real mode of interstate travel (like making it illegal to close or move stations) because the railroad tycoons were all insane douchebags that would rob the people blind if they could get away with it.

Then when the Interstates got built, auto manufacturers lobbied to keep those restrictions, because they knew it would cause the rail industry to collapse. The plan succeeded for over a decade, and most railroad companies went out of business.

By the time the Federal government stepped in to create Amtrak, most of the US rail lines had been sold or scrapped. The popular conspiracy (that this was all GM) is not true, but it doesn't have to be. Ruthless advertising in the 60s and 70s had painted trains as slow, expensive, and dirty, an image the public has trouble letting go even to this day.

So now there's no railroads and public transit infrastructure sucks here, hooray.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Twisted tracks: watch metro maps transform to real-life geography

Can you identify the world cities from their 'naked' metro maps?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

vivat virtute posted:

Just Solve the Traveling Salesman Problem, idiots

The Vehicle Routing Problem is more appropriate here, that's a generalisation of the TSP but for n vehicles (or n salesmen I guess).

quote:

The vehicle routing problem (VRP) is a combinatorial optimization and integer programming problem which asks "What is the optimal set of routes for a fleet of vehicles to traverse in order to deliver to a given set of customers?"

Although the VRP often assumes all vehicles start from some central location, I don't know where that'd be in this case.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you're trying to lay out the global subway map, you can just take the complete graph whose edge weights are the distance between cities and form its minimum spanning tree.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Plastik posted:

Beyond that, the different clearances of different lines would mean your Super Train would have to be both narrower and shorter than the subways and trains you're used to.

So, a hyperloop then. :hmmyes:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/1273975403326181376

If you're interested in public transit, Alon is a must-follow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's funny that Jacksonvile is listed as having a metro system as, while they do technically have one, it has only two fewer stops than the Disney monorail and is a bit smaller

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/1273975403326181376

If you're interested in public transit, Alon is a must-follow.

They're okay on things they know about but they are also one of those really smart people who think they are also absolutely correct about anything they've formed an opinion on.

E: for pronouns

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Jun 19, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's okay on things he knows about but he is also one of those really smart people who think they are also absolutely correct about anything they've formed an opinion on.

I don't mean to dunk on you for that, but it's funny to me that despite their having pronouns right in the twitter name, and your clearly following them on twitter, you still managed to use the wrong pronouns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/1273986191277375500

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

I don't mean to dunk on you for that, but it's funny to me that despite their having pronouns right in the twitter name, and your clearly following them on twitter, you still managed to use the wrong pronouns.

Woah, that's embarrassing! I used to follow them but unfollowed quite a while ago so I guess my brain kind of filtered out the contents of the current name.

My brain's also in a "Hebrew name parsing mode" when I encounter a Hebrew name, and there's not really a good way for gender neutral in that language, which probably didn't help. I'll try to pay closer attention next time.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

A better subway map:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mass transit is stored in the balls.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hunts Point is where you want to go for a really fun time.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Woodhaven. New York City's butthole.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Where the gently caress is Staten Island?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Taken off. It was a lovely bris.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ultrafilter posted:

You need to turn it over, the other testicle is staten.

Wish they’d done the PATH to include a bhole

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

The spunk is out of the picture.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's funny that Jacksonvile is listed as having a metro system as, while they do technically have one, it has only two fewer stops than the Disney monorail and is a bit smaller

This thing is a loving joke that goes nowhere and is usually just full of homeless people getting some rest in the A/C

It's literally dumber than the monorails on the Simpsons

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Bloop posted:

This thing is a loving joke that goes nowhere and is usually just full of homeless people getting some rest in the A/C

It's literally dumber than the monorails on the Simpsons
At least it's a benefit to society then.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Every attempt for it to actually go somewhere (basically the airport or the beach) have been stymied for all of the reasons transit gets stymied.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i like the Glasgow Subway, which is the second oldest Subway in the world and has made great use of its 120-year history to expand from its initial fifteen stops in a circle to... the same fifteen stops in a circle

Every now and then someone tries to get an extension planned but it never seems to work out. it did manage to upgrade to powered vehicles in 1935 from the previous system of a big moving cable that the cars clamped on to, but that's about it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Angepain posted:

i like the Glasgow Subway, which is the second oldest Subway in the world and has made great use of its 120-year history to expand from its initial fifteen stops in a circle to... the same fifteen stops in a circle

I thought it was Swansea that was the graveyard of ambition, not Glasgow.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
glasgow has always seemed like the swansea of scotland to me

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angepain posted:

Every now and then someone tries to get an extension planned but it never seems to work out. it did manage to upgrade to powered vehicles in 1935 from the previous system of a big moving cable that the cars clamped on to, but that's about it

SF still has a small region that's served by the cable cars, it's pretty cool.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Angepain posted:

Does it still only move in one direction so if you wanted to go one stop the other way you would have to go 14 stops the other direction to get there?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Nap Ghost
Cincinnati built a whole subway system and then shuttered it because cars became a thing. They also had a massively popular streetcar system, and a massive beautiful central train station called Union Terminal that got shuttered.

Thankfully Union Terminal got mostly saved and now serves as a museum (and you can sometimes check out the train yard that still functions for cargo!) but there's a whole lotta what-might-have-beens in that city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

vyelkin posted:

Does it still only move in one direction so if you wanted to go one stop the other way you would have to go 14 stops the other direction to get there?

They go in both directions now.