Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MorrisBae posted:

CHIKARA and ROH were drawing comparably at the end of 2011, and you could argue CHIKARA had more momentum when they shut down in 2012

Did we ever find out definitively why Quack shut down at that point?

ROH still ran the Hammerstein for Final Battle 2011 and drew around 1,500 so no they were not comparable at the end of 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Deathlove posted:

the unenviable position of having to defend CHIKARA :negative:

Easy defense, a CHIKARA guy won RotY 2009

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Easy defense, a CHIKARA guy won RotY 2009

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 
1. Frightmare (205) 1,451
2. Ricky Steamboat Jr. (89) 1,074
3. Brutus Magnus (94) 751
4. Ryota Hama (50) 694
5. Cody Deaner (23) 269
6. Strong Man Jon Anderson (14) 246
7. Rouge (6) 167
8. Bo Rotundo (6) 108
9. Jesse Neal 64
10. Chris Jones 49

Lmao

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tough year baybee

Frightmare is good though, or he was I dunno

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Tough year baybee

Frightmare is good though, or he was I dunno

He's terrific for his size, hes a top 5 Quack student IMO

It goes

1. Hallowicked
2. Eddie Kingston (I'd actually rather have him because of his promos but I'm strictly talking ring ability)
3. Ophidian
4. Dasher Hatfield
5. Frightmare

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I Before E posted:

I completely forgot about him. I was about to ask why he never got a sniff from Vince, but then I remembered this trainwreck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinNy5dsJqk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He's the NWA World's Champion

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know Nick Aldis has gone on to do many things in his career but I can only associate him with the time BRUTUS MAGNUS just flashed on screen for no reason in the middle of an unrelated match due to TNAchnical Difficulties

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He's the NWA World's Champion

He kind of looks like Drake Maverick got his wish and became Big.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A few years ago, Braun Strowman and Kevin Owens were feuding on Raw and they did a bit where Braun crushed Kevin's rental car. Can someone please link me to the edit someone made where Sid's "22!? OH MAN! WHY ME!" is played over this? :)

not that one, but I found this and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFFx3k43F1M&hd=1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

He kind of looks like Drake Maverick got his wish and became Big.

Weren't they a team in TNA?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Red posted:

I wonder if there's a list of every time a car has been destroyed/vandalized on a wrestling TV show. It's probably a stupidly high number.

Of all the dumb things in wrestling, smashing cars would seem to be high on the list. It's done often enough it's not shocking, thus generates no heat, but costs a lot of money to do.

Yeah, it's funny that I saw a recap of Strowman pushing over the Miz's car and didn't give a poo poo at all. It seems like it happens at least once a month at this point, so nobody cares. Long gone are the days where Austin pouring cement into Vince's convertible was a big deal.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If a wrestler doesn’t want their car destroyed, they should come to work in a limo halfway through their shift like a normal person.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Diabolik900 posted:

If a wrestler doesn’t want their car destroyed, they should come to work in a limo halfway through their shift like a normal person.

They need to do a spot where, after a car is destroyed, another wrestler comes out and laments "... but we carpooled."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

This never made sense to me.

No one believed it when JR screamed "Austin has arrived to Monday Night Raw!" at 10pm , but they always did it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
A lot of wrestlers, including Mick Foley and Ric Flair, have said that they saw star power in Steve Austin right from the onset of his career. Was this a common perspective of Austin at the time? Was he generally seen as having huge potential in the early/mid 90s?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

A lot of wrestlers, including Mick Foley and Ric Flair, have said that they saw star power in Steve Austin right from the onset of his career. Was this a common perspective of Austin at the time? Was he generally seen as having huge potential in the early/mid 90s?

He was seen as having Ric Flair type potential very early in his WCW run.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Hollywood Blondes felt like a gimmick that would lead to Austin and Pillman being major stars for WCW for years but welp that got self destructed quickly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He was a guy who got pushed from day one because he took to Chris Adams' training so well.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah, Austin was always looked upon as a future star. Not the extent he became, of course, but yeah, he was groomed from the beginning. Hell, he was in WCW after like a year or two, which was pretty rare back then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Austin was always looked upon as a future star. Not the extent he became, of course, but yeah, he was groomed from the beginning. Hell, he was in WCW after like a year or two, which was pretty rare back then.

Was making him The Ringmaster a big vote of confidence from Vince McMahon? It seems like a great midcard gimmick, but once Austin opened his mouth, you could tell the role was all wrong for him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Was making him The Ringmaster a big vote of confidence from Vince McMahon? It seems like a great midcard gimmick, but once Austin opened his mouth, you could tell the role was all wrong for him.

No, Vince is just that out of touch. He made him the Ringmaster because he saw Austin as a good mid-card guy, but nothing else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

I assume him opening his mouth is what convinced Vince he couldn't be a star, given his well-known thing accent bias.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Randaconda posted:

No, Vince is just that out of touch. He made him the Ringmaster because he saw Austin as a good mid-card guy, but nothing else.

Yeah, Austin spent months on the midcard carousel with Helmsley, Mero and Goldust before Bret came back for the feud that elevated him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah, Austin spent months on the midcard carousel with Helmsley, Mero and Goldust before Bret came back for the feud that elevated him.

The wild thing is that Austin had great programs with everyone during that time. His matches with Savio were actually good, the series with Mero was even better.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Savio wasn't a bad worker. A bit plain, but he was fine. Austin still speaks very highly of him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember some random match he had with Golddust in WWF, and I was the only person watching that night who was excited, cause I remembered the good matches they had in WCW a few years earlier

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

I remember some random match he had with Golddust in WWF, and I was the only person watching that night who was excited, cause I remembered the good matches they had in WCW a few years earlier

Here here buddy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The time between Austin 3:16 and him winning the title is strange in hindsight, being so transitional from the New Generation to the Attitude Era. Probably doesn't help that I wasn't watching until after the AE was started proper.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The time between Austin 3:16 and him winning the title is strange in hindsight, being so transitional from the New Generation to the Attitude Era. Probably doesn't help that I wasn't watching until after the AE was started proper.

It was about a year and a half. 316 started at King of the ring 96. He started his feud with a returning bret at survivor series. He had an amazing 97 that you could tell he was being groomed for the main. Tremendous royal rumble match great match with bret at mania a title match after that he headlined a bunch of raws and had an amazing rivalry with the rock for the ic title. He was clearly the man by rumble 98 attacking everyone before the rumble to the point that when he came out they all stopped fighting so they could get him and he still won and then laying the foundation of his fued with McMahon before mania

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 
1. Frightmare (205) 1,451
2. Ricky Steamboat Jr. (89) 1,074
4. Ryota Hama (50) 694
5. Cody Deaner (23) 269
6. Strong Man Jon Anderson (14) 246
7. Rouge (6) 167
8. Bo Rotundo (6) 108
9. Jesse Neal 64
10. Chris Jones 49

Lmao

Oh god I’d forgotten about Strong Man. Jesus. And he was on the occasional NJPW card a few years after that :gonk:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What year was Big Daddy Yum Yum on the ballot

He definitely won right?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Big Daddy Yum Yum was Most Improved

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBTPO37P4Q

MOST IMPROVED
1. Rusev (181): 1,372
2. Charlotte (152): 1,281
3. Sasha Banks (2): 383
4. Erick Rowan (41): 313
5. Luke Harper (15): 241
6. Bobby Lashley (19): 205
7. Tomoaki Honma (19): 182
8. Cedric Alexander (22): 172
9. Ethan Carter III (19): 154
10. Tomohiro Ishii (18): 137
HONORABLE MENTION: Seth Rollins 127, Kyle O’Reilly 125, T-Hawk 199, Tyler Breeze 114, Daisuke Harada 99, Joe Doering 92, Ricochet 90, Nikki Bella 89, Jay Lethal 78, Hanson 74, Roman Reigns 70, Adam Cole 63

(I thought Charlotte got robbed)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That election was rigged against BDYY

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I Before E posted:

5. Cody Deaner (23) 269

deaner is a top top tier comedy last name imo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if

cody creamer

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who's the biggest name that started off as absolute bottom tier garbage but eventually became huge? Someone's gotta have gone from David Flair to any WWE headliner level.

There's always been stories about how much Hogan knew about the business when he started, including one about someone breaking his leg that is almost certainly a lie. I'd love to see his first matches.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By every account I've read, him getting his leg broken by Matsuda is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who's the biggest name that started off as absolute bottom tier garbage but eventually became huge? Someone's gotta have gone from David Flair to any WWE headliner level.

There's always been stories about how much Hogan knew about the business when he started, including one about someone breaking his leg that is almost certainly a lie. I'd love to see his first matches.

If you mean in terms of quality in the ring, Trish Stratus was absolutely awful when she started. Just the drizzling shits. But she tried hard and got better and eventually became a very good wrestler who could put on main event quality matches when given the chance.