Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

Stupid question because it turns out this is a section of tech I'm deeply ignorant about.

I have a UPS coming today that I want to plug my modem and router into. It's exceptionally unlikely they have long enough cords to reach the UPS from where they are. Obviously, an extension cord is not an option. So can I replace their wall warts with ones with longer cables, and if so, what should I get and from where?

From their spec sheets:
Modem power supply:

Router power supply:
AC Input : 110V~240V(50~60Hz)
DC Output : 19 V with max. 1.75 A current

You should always prefer longer AC-carrying cords to longer DC-carrying cords (like the ones coming from the wall warts). As long as you don't use a surge protector, a AC extension cord plugged into the UPS output is just fine as long as you pay attention to the power draw, as you are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JelloHelmet
Nov 4, 2012
Fun Shoe
Hey Guys, quick question.
My company has had a recent string of bad luck with Dell laptops. Basically one out of every 10 we purchase will BSOD and on reboot give a "hard drive not detected" error. It'll go away after a few more reboots but I'm sick of going through the rma process with Dell support. they have been doing this on every batch we order over the last year or so. I think its something to do with whoever they source their 256Gb M.2 drives from? not sure but it sucks.

any other vendors you recommend? any I should avoid?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My company is a Dell shop. What model(s) of laptop are giving you this issue? I'd like to know in case any of mine are affected.

Also, you might want to try asking in the laptop megathread.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
How much should I care about a motherboard's VRM if I have no intention of overclocking? What is considered good/bad? What effect (if any) does it have on performance/longevity?

JelloHelmet
Nov 4, 2012
Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My company is a Dell shop. What model(s) of laptop are giving you this issue? I'd like to know in case any of mine are affected.

Also, you might want to try asking in the laptop megathread.

oh lol good point, I'll check over there.

it seems to range from a bunch of different models. it started with inspiron 3 and 7000 series so we switched to Latitude 3301s thinking the QA was a bit better. but nope, also happened on them.
and it just happened on a brand new XPS so it seems to be a pretty wide range.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

disaster pastor posted:

I've always been told never to chain together any kind of multi-outlet solutions.

This is only because people otherwise tend to plug a kjillion things into a single outlet, overloading the capacity of the outlet or wires or the UPS. As long as you actually pay attention to how much load you add, it doesn't matter how you wire it up.

(Just don't use garbage-tier hair-thin cables)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
I just ordered a new laptop, a Portg X30-F1352 [Reference PUR33U-06500C], and am interested in swapping the stock keyboard out for a german one.

IPC-Computer.de sells replacement DE keyboards for the Portege X30-E series, which looks like it would be compatible with the X30-F models.

How much of a pain in the rear end would a job like this be? I've only messed around with swapping out laptop drives/memory/batteries before.

Edit: Looking at this video of a different model, it seems like it would involve taking the mobo out. How bad could a patient adult actually gently caress that up?

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 16, 2020

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
It's kind of crazy seeing people talk about the mSATA drives in Dell laptops go bad, I just had one die on me a month ago (in a Latitude, forget the exact model #) and it seemed a little fishy for how new it was (computer was 4 years old, I had it refurbed for about 1 year so it's somewhere in that time frame). Are mSATA drives more likely to fail then regular SSDs?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I asked this in the VR thread but I kinda wanted to get any other opinions on it.

Right now I have an i7 8700k running a 1080Ti and 16gigs of ram. Is it really worth it to bump that up to 32gigs? Ram doesn't seem terribly expensive but if I'm really not going to get anything out of it I'm not sure I'd do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I asked this in the VR thread but I kinda wanted to get any other opinions on it.

Right now I have an i7 8700k running a 1080Ti and 16gigs of ram. Is it really worth it to bump that up to 32gigs? Ram doesn't seem terribly expensive but if I'm really not going to get anything out of it I'm not sure I'd do it.

Just look and see if you're running out of RAM when you use your PC. If you are then buy more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Senjuro posted:

How much should I care about a motherboard's VRM if I have no intention of overclocking? What is considered good/bad? What effect (if any) does it have on performance/longevity?

if you're not trying to overclock, then it's probably not going to matter all that much, because the motherboard is just going to ease off the gas if it's getting too hot

there are maybe edge cases where trying to pair a 16-core Ryzen processor with an A320 motherboard is not great because even if the motherboard/CPU is never going to run at a pace which will be a problem for the VRMs, it might mean that you're leaving some performance on the table, but it's difficult to come up with a recommendation without getting into specifics

in any case, anyone who is going to buy a 16-core Ryzen probably also has a particular use-case where an A320 is not going to be sufficient for their needs in terms of SATA ports and PCI-e slots and rear I/O and all of that stuff, so they're also probably going to buy one of the higher-end enthusiast boards anyway, just so that they can mount their five hard drives and their video capture card and their six peripherals, even if they're not going to specifically use the overclocking functionality

so I would think about THAT first, and if you still find yourself in a position where the basic H310 motherboard looks like it's good enough for you, but you still think you might pair it with an i9-9900, then you can ask

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you're not trying to overclock, then it's probably not going to matter all that much, because the motherboard is just going to ease off the gas if it's getting too hot

there are maybe edge cases where trying to pair a 16-core Ryzen processor with an A320 motherboard is not great because even if the motherboard/CPU is never going to run at a pace which will be a problem for the VRMs, it might mean that you're leaving some performance on the table, but it's difficult to come up with a recommendation without getting into specifics

in any case, anyone who is going to buy a 16-core Ryzen probably also has a particular use-case where an A320 is not going to be sufficient for their needs in terms of SATA ports and PCI-e slots and rear I/O and all of that stuff, so they're also probably going to buy one of the higher-end enthusiast boards anyway, just so that they can mount their five hard drives and their video capture card and their six peripherals, even if they're not going to specifically use the overclocking functionality

so I would think about THAT first, and if you still find yourself in a position where the basic H310 motherboard looks like it's good enough for you, but you still think you might pair it with an i9-9900, then you can ask

Let's say we're talking about the 8 core Ryzen 3800x and a B550 board. What would be considered a safe minimum to avoid throttling? I'm seeing VRM configurations all the way from 4+2 to 14+2. At what point is it overkill at stock speed?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Senjuro posted:

Let's say we're talking about the 8 core Ryzen 3800x and a B550 board. What would be considered a safe minimum to avoid throttling? I'm seeing VRM configurations all the way from 4+2 to 14+2. At what point is it overkill at stock speed?

I've tried to do some research on this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o

but it's difficult to make any hard conclusions without this sort of in-depth review on a board-by-board basis

I would say that given your spec of a 3800X, at stock, you should avoid anything that doesn't have a heatsink, and anything that's only four phases, in order to be sure

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've tried to do some research on this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o

but it's difficult to make any hard conclusions without this sort of in-depth review on a board-by-board basis

I would say that given your spec of a 3800X, at stock, you should avoid anything that doesn't have a heatsink, and anything that's only four phases, in order to be sure

That's a pretty useful spreadsheet, even without B550.
Thanks.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MarcusSA posted:

are you running low on memory running the things you want to run?

your task manager is a good resource to figure out if you need more ram. odds are at 16gb youre doing fine

even running a shitload of tabs and TSRs and who knows what, i still have ~5 GB free playing call of duty on my rig with 16

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

are you running low on memory running the things you want to run?

your task manager is a good resource to figure out if you need more ram. odds are at 16gb youre doing fine

even running a shitload of tabs and TSRs and who knows what, i still have ~5 GB free playing call of duty on my rig with 16

Yeah thanks.

I checked my task manager while gaming and it said Im only using 63% so I guess Im good!

Thanks for the replies.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah thanks.

I checked my task manager while gaming and it said Im only using 63% so I guess Im good!

Thanks for the replies.

Also understand that unused RAM is wasted ram. Don't be alarmed if you're constantly at 80%+ RAM usage, your computer will try and use as much RAM as you have because what's the point of keeping that empty and leaving things on disk?

As long as you aren't paging to disk, you're fine.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just brought my RAM up to 24 gigs on a machine running Windows 7 Home edition, but found out that particular OS will only support 16 gigs RAM maximum. I COULD just upgrade Windows, but had just read about RAM hard drives. As a workaround, could I create a RAM hard drive out of the extra 8 gigs, and designate that as virtual memory? Would it have the same effect as just using the extra RAM?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just brought my RAM up to 24 gigs on a machine running Windows 7 Home edition, but found out that particular OS will only support 16 gigs RAM maximum. I COULD just upgrade Windows, but had just read about RAM hard drives. As a workaround, could I create a RAM hard drive out of the extra 8 gigs, and designate that as virtual memory? Would it have the same effect as just using the extra RAM?

It won't be the same as having more ram because the system will treat it as paging to disk so it won't use it most of the time. It may help a bit if you do end up paging to disk but bear in mind that extra RAM does nothing unless you need it. It's not like processor speed or RAM speed where more is almost always better, it will do nothing until you fill it up. I kind of have to ask though, if you've got a machine that regularly goes over 16GB of RAM usage why is it still on Windows 7, and home edition worst of all? It's probably time to upgrade it to Windows 10.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 7 has been out of support for half a year now, I think it's time to let it go instead of going for more and more convoluted workarounds.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Computer audio question: I'm up to three separate computers at my desk now and use (bog standard 3.5mm stereo jack style) audio from each of them for different things. Would like to stop fiddling between those three inputs and two outputs (headphones and desk speakers) and just plug all five cables into one box, ideally having the sound mixed (eg hear alerts from one source on top of music from another) but I'd accept switching if I had to.

Mildly perplexed that nobody seems to sell something sitting in between "KVM switch with computer audio" (already have a regular USB switch, plus those things' audio is usually awful) and "bona fide audio mixer like what Rolls sells, and audio nerds hate 3.5mm jacks so have fun with a pile of adapter dongles".

Am I missing some product line here or am I doomed to choose between these three worlds (manual fiddling, poor audio switchery, or overpay and overdongle)?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would something simple like a Belkin Rockstar fit your needs?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bitprophet posted:

Am I missing some product line here or am I doomed to choose between these three worlds (manual fiddling, poor audio switchery, or overpay and overdongle)?
Rolls MX41b?

edit: pardon me, I didn't see the two outputs requirement. You'd need some additional switch for that

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 18, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rexxed posted:

It won't be the same as having more ram because the system will treat it as paging to disk so it won't use it most of the time. It may help a bit if you do end up paging to disk but bear in mind that extra RAM does nothing unless you need it. It's not like processor speed or RAM speed where more is almost always better, it will do nothing until you fill it up. I kind of have to ask though, if you've got a machine that regularly goes over 16GB of RAM usage why is it still on Windows 7, and home edition worst of all? It's probably time to upgrade it to Windows 10.

It's a computer that's been used sparingly for low-level office stuff up until recently, but I was trying to upgrade it for use with Adobe Premiere. (I was holding on to Windows 7 for the sake of my girlfriend, who uses it too and is kind slow to learn new computer stuff.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You should upgrade because Windows 7 is no longer getting any security updates. Unless you love having your PC taken over, it's time to let go.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Fame Douglas posted:

Would something simple like a Belkin Rockstar fit your needs?

Had to noodle a bit to find what you posted (the more common Rockstar is the lightning plus aux dongle, which amusingly I have in my car). Interesting. Reviews imply that it can work relatively well for arbitrary inputs/outputs if you don't suffer too much of the "mismatched impedance == volume drop" issue. It's cheap enough I could experiment with it and a few gender changers. Worth considering, thanks!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Rolls MX41b?

edit: pardon me, I didn't see the two outputs requirement. You'd need some additional switch for that
I didn't clarify but the two outputs is somewhere between a nice to have and a real requirement, considering I will not be using both outputs at once, most mixers have a single output, and I can always use a Y splitter if I really want.

Amusingly I had found the MX42 and MX51S but not the MX41B, so thanks for digging it and its 1/8" jacks up. It and the MX42 will have the same possibility of volume shenanigans as the Rockstar, but they also have knobs to futz with to possibly counteract.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep. :sever: with Windows 7 and if your girlfriend doesn't like you for it, :sever:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

You should upgrade because Windows 7 is no longer getting any security updates. Unless you love having your PC taken over, it's time to let go.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep. :sever: with Windows 7 and if your girlfriend doesn't like you for it, :sever:

Fair enough, thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I plan on buying a Macbook soon, and I just want to know where to buy an actual, not-bullshit, USB-c/TB3 to HDMI 2/2.1 cable that supports 4k60p in Canada.
Amazon is just so full of conflicting reviews/broken english in product descriptions, and fly by night "brands" that it's nigh impossible to know what's good and what's poo poo.

Preferably an actual cable, and not an adapter, just so I don't have to buy two things. Length doesn't matter.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

what's the current easiest/best way to diagnose what could be going wrong on a computer? is there a utility that'll stress test the whole thing and spit out the data and identify issues?
I'm a heavy chrome user and it used to always be fine, but lately (mainly using google chat or browsing really long email threads) the computer will begin to grind to a halt. I'm wondering if it's my RAM that is starting to fail or my GPU, or if it's something else (throttling?), but it has been a while since i've done any diagnostics on my machine... so i'm out of practice and out of the loop!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you still have a working computer, I would recommend getting HWMonitor to check temperatures, and windows task manager to see what's chugging

if you're running out of RAM, you should be able to see it
if something is maxing-out your CPU or GPU utilization, you should be able to see it
if very high temperatures are causing your CPU or GPU to throttle, you should be able to see it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nvm

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you still have a working computer, I would recommend getting HWMonitor to check temperatures, and windows task manager to see what's chugging

if you're running out of RAM, you should be able to see it
if something is maxing-out your CPU or GPU utilization, you should be able to see it
if very high temperatures are causing your CPU or GPU to throttle, you should be able to see it

wonderful, thanks!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I had an mSATA drive die on me about a month back, and after unsuccesfully trying a new adapter, wrote off my losses and figured it's probably dead (I know that solid state memory tends to just plain die, it's not like a spinny that usually gives you warning signs and has several degrees of failing before stuff is unrecoverable.) But I was browsing YouTube today, and heard someone offhandedly reference "reballing" an SSD by heating it up. Is it legitimate, or is it just weird placebo effect nonsense? If anyone has done it and could share any particular tips it would be really helpful, I have a heat gun as well so no need to contaminate my toaster oven. I also figure since it's currently dead, if this doesn't work it's not like I'll make it more dead ya know.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DildenAnders posted:

I had an mSATA drive die on me about a month back, and after unsuccesfully trying a new adapter, wrote off my losses and figured it's probably dead (I know that solid state memory tends to just plain die, it's not like a spinny that usually gives you warning signs and has several degrees of failing before stuff is unrecoverable.) But I was browsing YouTube today, and heard someone offhandedly reference "reballing" an SSD by heating it up. Is it legitimate, or is it just weird placebo effect nonsense? If anyone has done it and could share any particular tips it would be really helpful, I have a heat gun as well so no need to contaminate my toaster oven. I also figure since it's currently dead, if this doesn't work it's not like I'll make it more dead ya know.

Short answer: no it doesn't work

Long answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a coworker who is buying an i9-9900K, and he needs a cooler. He's interested in my H55i (a 120mm AIO), but I don't want to sell something that provides insufficient cooling. If he doesn't plan on overclocking, would that be fine?

I assume since it cooled my 2070 Super just fine but I figured I'd double check

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a coworker who is buying an i9-9900K, and he needs a cooler. He's interested in my H55i (a 120mm AIO), but I don't want to sell something that provides insufficient cooling. If he doesn't plan on overclocking, would that be fine?

I assume since it cooled my 2070 Super just fine but I figured I'd double check

I have an h115i pro (280mm rad) on my 9900k and it's fine. The issue is more getting the heat across the spreader into the fluid, I think the h55i would be alright if he's not trying to OC like crazy. Should be benchmarks out there.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I had a GPU with a 120mm AIO on it which handled ~180w just fine and kept the GPU temps below 60C, a 9900k worst case AVX stock is about that much power so it will be fine. The thermal bottleneck on a 9900k is pretty much the die itself which is unusually thick compared to previous generations (probably to help it deal with the mechanical stresses caused by rapid thermal cycles).

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The only applications where I think you'd notice performance loss from a 120mm AIO getting soaked from heat would be code compiling and over 144hz gaming. If he's super duper interested in big numbers in those aspects he might want a 240 or 280 but otherwise he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If my little homelab rack draws right around 105 watts under load, how do I calculate what size UPS I need to get about 15-20 minutes of runtime?

I am bad at math and electricity.