Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

The fallout 3 story is complete rear end that is only beaten in its rear end like quality by fallout 4. There is no reason to play those two games for their stinker of a plot.

I was about to say the plots are good and I liked them, but then I re read your last line.

I am playing the Last of Us right now so I can be ready for part 2, and let me tell you, I don’t think any game, without exception, is worth playing for the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VRViperII posted:

I am playing the Last of Us right now so I can be ready for part 2, and let me tell you, I don’t think any game, without exception, is worth playing for the plot.

Celeste :colbert:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

I think the city center itself was kinda bullshit. It was a bunch of tiny walled areas only accessible by the subway and navigating from any one to another was an exercise in frustration.
This is actually something I thought about quite a bit while playing Fallout 76, "wow they've really made it so that there are exactly zero 'find the secret way through the 800 tunnels'" and was very pleased about that. Fallout 3 was a revolutionary game for me and I thought what they did to enhance the Fallout series into an open world first person shooter was a monumental improvement to the wasteland survivor feel, but holy poo poo was it frustrating between the crashing and the I-just-need-to-be-right-over-there-argh navigation. I'd still put it down as one of the best games of all time, but it was a formula that was greatly improved upon by subsequent titles. I've played it through twice, but I doubt I'll ever do it again unless I want to pull the rest of my hair out.

Fallout 76 I think I've reached the end of for me. The endgame is a grind, but it is incredibly gated by the daily caps in the system. You want to run around trying to get good legendaries, but you can only turn in ~3 per day for scrip to buy 1-2 extra randoms from the purveyor. I have no problem with the exchange rate, just that you can cap out in 20-30 minutes of play. You can also collect bullion, but you're limited to 200 per day, and you can only get them from a handful of the events. The legendary scrip cap and lack of treasury notes from the other events makes me actively avoid them because I don't have space to store any more legendaries. Then there's Settler and Raider faction, which is capped at one quest per day. I don't want a game where I need to log in every day but only am being effective in the first 30 minutes.

The daily caps should be changed to refill continuously, so you get 20% of the cap back per hour and it increases when you're offline too (at a slow 5%/hour rate), up to the current cap. That means there's a benefit to keep playing instead of just checking in once a day. It is more fun to have a great time, play way too much, get all the stuff you want, then get bored and stop playing instead of it being a daily chore to log in and make a little progress.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 20, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As someone for whom the Metro tunnels were a treasured part of Fallout 3 I am surprised to hear other people did not enjoy the experience of having brief zombie survival adventures rewarded with a new topside location. Like chocolate and peanut butter!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked them the first three time I was forced into them I disliked the next 60.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The tunnels themselves were fairly well designed IIRC, I personally never felt constrained or confused trying to navigate them.

What ended up frustrating was trying to predict which specific route of connected underground and overland map sections would get you where you wanted to go if you didn’t already have the point on your map.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So in 76, what items are actually worth getting in the atom shop? I can see there's at least three or four that seem to have an actual non-cosmetic effect (minus the repair kits).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zelmel posted:

So in 76, what items are actually worth getting in the atom shop?

The Communist Collectron is :discourse:

You haven’t really played the game until you’ve been scolded by a robot garbage man for lacking sufficient revolutionary fervor. :china:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Comrade Koba posted:

The tunnels themselves were fairly well designed IIRC, I personally never felt constrained or confused trying to navigate them.

What ended up frustrating was trying to predict which specific route of connected underground and overland map sections would get you where you wanted to go if you didn’t already have the point on your map.

Did you read the in-game maps in the train stations? They were very good and told me everything I needed to know. It's entirely possible they might not have been legible on some graphics settings though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Chamale posted:

Did you read the in-game maps in the train stations? They were very good and told me everything I needed to know. It's entirely possible they might not have been legible on some graphics settings though.

I must have missed those completely, but that is a pretty cool and useful detail. :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I stopped playing Fallout: New Vegas halfway through. On the Xbox the wait screens were intolerable. Like hanging out at the airport involved a wait screen on entering the terminal and a wait screen to get to the tarmac which meant 10 seconds of game play had 3 minutes of waiting. That was the worst instance, but it was bad enough elsewhere that I still have a small amount of anxiety whenever I open a door in every Fallout game since.

I could probably give Steam $5 and play it New Vegas on a modern computer with plenty of hard drive space and breeze right through McCarren like nobodies' business.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zelmel posted:

So in 76, what items are actually worth getting in the atom shop? I can see there's at least three or four that seem to have an actual non-cosmetic effect (minus the repair kits).

As others have said, the Collectrons will pick up junk for you. They're good when you're just building up a CAMP for the first time as they'll help gather some building supplies. They don't get anything particularly useful, but they get you a lot of junk items. Repair kits are also given out as reward for the final mission "Scorched Earth" where you fight the scorchbeast queen in the southeast corner of the map. If you have a way to survive the radiation and all the enemies around, it's always completed by the high level players given enough time. Just show up, survive until they kill the queen, and you get free repair kits. It's a public event, so fast travel to it is free as well, you just got to wait for someone to drop a nuke.

Other than that, Atom shop is entirely cosmetic. Get the things that make your CAMP look good or outfits you want for your character or ally.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Zelmel posted:

Buy whatever flavor of collectron you would like. After that whatever you like the look of. The communist power srmor and the red ranger power armor both ruled. The communist armor yells poo poo when you kill enemies.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
THIS LAND’S IDEA OF LIBERTY LEADS ONLY TO IMPERIALISM. SEE THROUGH THE LIES COMRADE.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The communist potectron gives great loot too. Soups and chems.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don't get the Faschnaut Collectron, unless you really like hearing a 1960s robot doing an accordion impression.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The communist potectron gives great loot too. Soups and chems.

Every once in a while mine will bug out and only collect propaganda fliers and frag grenades when it’s in revolutionary mode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

i flunked out posted:

Every once in a while mine will bug out and only collect propaganda fliers and frag grenades when it’s in revolutionary mode.

Those are good caps!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

i flunked out posted:

this is clearly a feature, not a bug. :colbert:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I could probably give Steam $5 and play it New Vegas on a modern computer with plenty of hard drive space and breeze right through McCarren like nobodies' business.

It's great. Some of the doors in Freetown play a sound clip when you open them that's longer than the loading screen, so if you want you can run around overlaying multiple door-opening sound effects.

Fallout 4 in downtown Boston has the longest loading times of anything on my SSD, longer than booting up the latest Call of Duty or starting a huge game of Civ VI. I don't know why.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

It's great. Some of the doors in Freetown play a sound clip when you open them that's longer than the loading screen, so if you want you can run around overlaying multiple door-opening sound effects.

Fallout 4 in downtown Boston has the longest loading times of anything on my SSD, longer than booting up the latest Call of Duty or starting a huge game of Civ VI. I don't know why.

They didn't do occlusion for poo poo. It's loading in the entirety of downtown Boston.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

VRViperII posted:

Look at this person who hasn't played 2019's GOTY Disco Elysium.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Looks like the next fallout 76 is June 30th.
https://twitter.com/jg93/status/1273957170900619264?s=19

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

IUG posted:

There's one major (free?) DLC that extends the story pretty significantly. Broken Steel or something like that. It changes a lot of things about the world map only after you beat the original storyline of 3, things like clean water in most of the map, checkpoints for handing out that water, different factions move into different locations, etc. Plus the story continues until you drive out the Enclave I believe. It's probably been like a decade since I last played it.

Yes, I'm spoiling something a decade old, someone's playing FO3 right now in this thread.

Broken Steel spoils itself. Three-Dog starts talking about Aqua Pura (expansion/endgame stuff) on the radio before you even get to Megaton.

Glazius posted:

They didn't do occlusion for poo poo. It's loading in the entirety of downtown Boston.

If you disable vsync during load, it cuts the time in half, if not more (in my experience). This isn't the fo4 modding thread, but try the Load Accelerator mod if you're using an SSD.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2020

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1275072360417079299

Very unprofessional of Mr. Sakurai to get Pip-Boy's name wrong.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Smash... Smash never changes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So we have 76 fighters in Smash now?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1275072360417079299

Very unprofessional of Mr. Sakurai to get Pip-Boy's name wrong.

Finally, the content i desire

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But where's the Vault Boy 2000 skin

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

But where's the Vault Boy 2000 skin

Atom shop exclusive.

Lmao if 76 comes to the switch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Switch 76 with Nintendo's internet service would be a new level of comedy potential

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

Atom shop exclusive.

"Ever since Fallout 76 was first announced, we had fans asking us 'why can't we have this as a single player game instead of an MMO?' We heard you! Please stand by for Fallout 76: The First Wasteland, coming in July 2021 exclusively for the Switch! Be sure to get your pre-orders in now for only $79.99, or the Ultimate Edition for $549.99 (comes complete with canvas Switch Lite)."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I finally got an endgame fixer from the purvoyer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

"Ever since Fallout 76 was first announced, we had fans asking us 'why can't we have this as a single player game instead of an MMO?' We heard you! Please stand by for Fallout 76: The First Wasteland, coming in July 2021 exclusively for the Switch! Be sure to get your pre-orders in now for only $79.99, or the Ultimate Edition for $549.99 (comes complete with canvas Switch Lite)."

You missed the exclusive remake of fallout 76 as a classic crpg version included with the game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I stopped playing Fallout: New Vegas halfway through. On the Xbox the wait screens were intolerable. Like hanging out at the airport involved a wait screen on entering the terminal and a wait screen to get to the tarmac which meant 10 seconds of game play had 3 minutes of waiting. That was the worst instance, but it was bad enough elsewhere that I still have a small amount of anxiety whenever I open a door in every Fallout game since.

I played and completed both on the 360 and PC later on, and to say PC is superior is a huge understatement.

You've probably heard it before, but putting the time and effort into replaying it with Quality of Life improvements like Sprint and bullet time makes the F:NV experience worth a replay.

Playing it on the 360 it's all coming back to me. It's pretty quaint to have a game that works when you are glad you manually saved every 3 minutes, and then crash completely going into a building when you haven't saved in an hour and a half of wandering around.

Personally I don't use too many mods, but I'm betting dollars to donuts even the most bloated 30+ mod extravaganza would still be more stable than plain old 360 version.

Still can't be any worse than Oblivion. The fact that they are still using gamebryo is baffling to me at this point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I do not like CRPGs so I have never played fallout 1 or 2, but after watching a complete playthrough and story of fallout 1 I find it very fun how much of a glitchy, unfinished mess that game is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

I do not like CRPGs so I have never played fallout 1 or 2, but after watching a complete playthrough and story of fallout 1 I find it very fun how much of a glitchy, unfinished mess that game is.

2 was worse.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...huh, it does feel like a lot of sequels Avellone works on seem to be unfinished messes, especially with how much was cut from KotOR:TSL and New Vegas due to time constraints

Fallout 2 felt rather full to me, especially if you scour every area for everything to do in it

Granted, zooming through the main quest of any RPG cuts the playtime down to a fraction of what you'd get otherwise

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

Atom shop exclusive.

The Outer Worlds got a switch release recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Outer Worlds wasn't perfect, but it gave me the same feeling of the RPGs I played in high school (that's a good thing).