Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Serephina posted:

Don't these games need a fair amount of grind before you can build&play the deck you actually want to? Some people enjoy that but its a very different way of playing CCGs.

Can't speak for Hearthstone, but for MTGA, yes and no. The "deck you actually want to" is the applicable phrase here, since there are some cheaper decks that only use like 4 rares, but these decks are usually some form of aggro deck. The more you go towards Midrange decks, which inherently use cards that are efficient and thus rarer, or Control decks, which tend to use big effects like "Destroy all creature" type effects plus usually some rare finisher, then you would probably need more rares. And of course if you're an idiot like me who thinks, "Oh hey this deck sounds fun" but is not "competitive," then you spend a lot of rares anyway!

And then sometimes they ban a card that caused you to craft a bunch of cards that work with the banned card and only with the banned card and then you just sigh.

Compared to paper magic, though, MTGA is definitely much more f2pable, and even if you're 100% f2p (but play every day, let's say), you should be able to craft one top tier competitive deck per set. You just probably can't craft ALL the competitive decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??
Re: electronic M:TG, if you want a polished presentation w/ AI to play against, https://store.steampowered.com/app/213850/Magic_2014__Duels_of_the_Planeswalkers/ seems like a decent option. You can go through the single player campaign and then if you want more variety later on, there are mods which add a substantial amount of cards that are not in the base game but are supported by the engine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OpinionCushion posted:

Re: electronic M:TG, if you want a polished presentation w/ AI to play against, https://store.steampowered.com/app/213850/Magic_2014__Duels_of_the_Planeswalkers/ seems like a decent option. You can go through the single player campaign and then if you want more variety later on, there are mods which add a substantial amount of cards that are not in the base game but are supported by the engine.

Woah woah woah that sounds perfect for my purposes. If it goes on sale next week I'll dip for it. Thanks!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Creeper World 4 demo is great! I think they made the transition to 3D very well

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
It's one of the few early access/indie development video progressions I like watching, devs just a dude making games the way he wants. Also his latest video has his young son reminding him of things to show the viewer about his latest update it's just a nice reminder that passion projects can still end up cool and semi successful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zereth posted:

The Anor Londo area is bad.

Oh yeah yikes sorry I forgot about that. When you first see it you're like "haha, oh cool it's Anor Londo with the serial numbers poorly filed off!" and then... Uh. It is bad.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Fallom posted:

The Creeper World 4 demo is great! I think they made the transition to 3D very well

That's the only demo I'm hyped for and it kills me I'm away from my PC for the weekend. Hope I'll be able to play it after the festival.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The best part of mtgo is penny dreadful, it's a fantastic idea and it changes constantly

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fallom posted:

I had never heard of this game before but I tried out the demo just now and I think I might be super into this? Are the older games worth checking out if I dig this and want more after the demo's over?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

explosivo posted:

I had never heard of this game before but I tried out the demo just now and I think I might be super into this? Are the older games worth checking out if I dig this and want more after the demo's over?

I haven't played the demo because, barring it suddenly being trash or buggy, I'm buying it because the other games in the series are a ton of fun. There's a bundle with all the other games and they were on sale a month or so ago, I'd guess they'll be on sale next week. The Particle Fleet game is similar but different, I didn't like it as much as Creeper World 3 but it was still fun.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

buglord posted:

Nuclear Throne is kicking my butt. It feels awfully unfair when I spawn into a level in the center of a large opening with everyone shooting at me. How do you guys manage?

That's a common complaint. I'm not that good at NT but two things that can help in that situation are a) the Hammerhead mutation, and just instantly tunnel into the wall to get away from the carnage, b) a fast-swinging melee weapon to clear/deflect projectiles (screwdriver or wrench, for instance). It's a hard game, though, and it kind of delights in killing you so sometimes that's just going to happen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wild at Heart - Sort of looks like if DoubleFine made a Pikmin game. The beautiful art is betrayed a bit by puppet animation (please please please pay animators to do even just stock animations for your characters!!!). Did not progress very far into the demo because of a boulder that required 3 pikmins when I could only find 2. The steam forums show that there's a lot of gamebreaking bugs people are encountering in the demo, so this one's got some work ahead of it.

Say No! More - This felt like a full short-form experience.. I don't know exactly what a full game would be like. But anyway, the developer of The Inner World, the quirky hand-drawn point n click adventure game, has thought waaaaaay outside the bun and made a bizarre arcade game about shouting no at people. It has the same energy and aesthetic as something like Muscle March for WiiWare, but without the homoeroticism. You should at least try it once, and then agree with me that there's nowhere for there to go from where the demo ends. It almost feels like a satire on Telltale games?? But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Cris Tales - Well.. I have mixed feelings about this one, especially since it's coming out this fall. First, the demo is from the very beginning, and I've explained before about how prologue demos are a pretty bad vertical slice, and this one was no exception. Secondly, there's stuff that's kinda silly, like the cathedral has a stained glass of the main character past present and future and this has never come up before?? The timing feels slightly off on the Paper Mario-esque combat timing, and the main boss of the demo was extremely boring. There is a Colosseum option of the demo that I might try and see if it provides a level of challenge higher than 'braindead'. Obviously, the game is gorgeous, and reminds me a lot of the angular fairy tale look of disney's Sleeping Beauty. From a gameplay and story perspective though, the demo was not exciting in the slightest.

Garden Story - Here's a better way to do a demo. It's still a slice from the early part of the game, but not at the LITERAL beginning (unless there's some media res thing the full game does). So you get a little bit of everything, the combat, the gathering, the fishing, the quest system, etc. Now, it's still not perfect... it's cute as gently caress and I can see why it's one of the most wishlisted games of all the games in the festival. But the combat is frankly not very good and I hope it's only a minor portion of the full game. I'm still gonna wishlist it myself.

Nine Noir Lives - Well this is awkward, there are two different games in the festival that are noir detective games about cats. This one is trying to be pure comedy though, whereas Inspector Waffles had more of a serious/ironic attitude... I kind of prefer the other game, because the comedy here is just sort of stock "adventure game humor" and it's not very funny.

Wayward Strand - I'm not necessarily in the mood for a more melancholic game, but I actually think this one is pretty promising. It's a point and click story game (no inventory puzzling) where you are visiting a hospital on an airship. All the patients have real-time routines, and you can follow a person through their day or just go around talking to different patients. The player is writing an article about the airship, and trying to figure out the mysteries behind it. It seems like each patient has their own character arc you can be present for and influence. The dialogue options seem to indicate that you might press your luck if you choose some of them and pry too much. I say melancholic because even though its a pastel-colored game, the patients are largely older people and I'm sure that sad moments will abound in the full game.

Relicta - A story-based first person puzzle game where you put cubes on pressure platforms to open doors... who ever heard of such a thing!! This one adds magnets and gravity manipulation to the cubes... but it's still the same kind of game you've played a lot. Magrunner had magnets and cubes and also a batshit stupid story about cthulhu so relicta has a lot to live up to.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 21, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Finished Kentucky Route Zero. The music scenes were the obvious highlights, but its such an overall weird different game that will stand out for a long time. Greatly enjoyed it, even though I didn't realize I had to do certain steps to unlock the final interlude.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

explosivo posted:

Definitely. Creeper World 4 feels like a very natural evolution of the existing games, which are all excellent and fun to play, despite each one being different in presentation. Particle Fleet: Emergence is another one by the same developer that's good too, very similar to Creeper World. They've found their niche and it works well.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Good News (although I doubt it will be news to this thread): Griftlands is loving amazing. If you like Slay the Spire at all I would highly recommend it, it's like if Slay the Spire was also a Han Solo simulator with pretty drat solid writing and a fantastic animation style.

Bad News: I bought Outer Wilds based on the near-unanimous positive feedback, and nearly an hour in I'm really not enjoying it at all. I checked out a water world and it's orbiting space station and fiddled with alien tech and decoded some writing, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to actually be DOING (after about 20 mins I figured out what the end goal is, but I have no clue at all how to achieve it). Should I just refund if I don't like games with this level of self-direction?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Bad News: I bought Outer Wilds based on the near-unanimous positive feedback, and nearly an hour in I'm really not enjoying it at all. I checked out a water world and it's orbiting space station and fiddled with alien tech and decoded some writing, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to actually be DOING (after about 20 mins I figured out what the end goal is, but I have no clue at all how to achieve it). Should I just refund if I don't like games with this level of self-direction?

Yeah, it's kinda all about the joy of exploration until you start figuring out how everything connects.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's a board in your ship that tracks what you've found and indicates when there's more to discover in a particular location, which can help if you're not sure where to go next. In general the game expects you to get lost a fair amount though.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Outer Wilds is a game about a mystery. If you don't like exploring, working things out and piecing clues together on your own then it won't be a game for you. Check out the computer in your ship. It helps organize your leads and can help point you towards things to check out when you need a bump in a direction. But if you aren't having fun in general, I don't think it's likely to change from here.

EFB - What he said ^^^

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Party Boat posted:

There's a board in your ship that tracks what you've found and indicates when there's more to discover in a particular location, which can help if you're not sure where to go next. In general the game expects you to get lost a fair amount though.

Does it carry over between respawns?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This reminds me of the MGSV debate. "Oh it has a single non-optional multiplayer bit? I'm literally never buying this now"

I know this is late in responding, but what non-optional multiplayer bit? I played through the game on a broken XBox 360 that was banned from online play, so I never had to touch the multiplayer. I mean, I couldn't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I know this is late in responding, but what non-optional multiplayer bit? I played through the game on a broken XBox 360 that was banned from online play, so I never had to touch the multiplayer. I mean, I couldn't.

It makes you build a single FOB piece as part of the story progression which has the potential to open you up to base invasions but even if you played the entire game online you were unlikely to get invaded for making just the single mandatory piece. You could also completely ignore it if you were.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Does it carry over between respawns?

Yes

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Here's a new trailer for Hylics 2, a game you will buy on June 22 for 15 dollars (or maybe during the sale for those sweet extra cards?).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone play Steam games with a controller? Seems like the Microsoft Xbox Controller is the go-to? I'm thinking about the wireless one and connecting it to my computer via Bluetooth.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

Anyone play Steam games with a controller? Seems like the Microsoft Xbox Controller is the go-to? I'm thinking about the wireless one and connecting it to my computer via Bluetooth.

360, Xbone and DS4 controllers all have direct compatibility with Steam games now through Steam itself, though all three are occasionally prone to messing up and DS4 seems to be the most finicky of the lot.

Just go with whatever controller you like most.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I've used both the x360 wired/wireless and the xbone for PC controller and they're excellent, most all modern games for PC controller settings assume you're using it anyways.

Big Picture Mode and some games end up with weird controller settings you have to manually disable but it's a quick fix, I've only had a problem with Prey and some low budget jank games.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

pentyne posted:

I've used both the x360 wired/wireless and the xbone for PC controller and they're excellent, most all modern games for PC controller settings assume you're using it anyways.

Big Picture Mode and some games end up with weird controller settings you have to manually disable but it's a quick fix, I've only had a problem with Prey and some low budget jank games.

For the Xbox Wireless Controller - can you play it plugged in while it is charging? Or strictly Bluetooth only? Seems like there's a Wireless Xbox controller that comes with a dongle - I'm assuming that one is not Bluetooth.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

Reinstalling Titanfall 2 in 2020 because people are actually playing Multiplayer again, what a world we live in. I love how obvious it is that EA's been doing themselves a huge disservice by keeping their games off of Steam for so long. I just wish my games I bought on Origin worked through Steam. I mean TF2 is $10 I might just buy that poo poo again.

I prefer Steam but I've never intentionally avoided a game because it was on a different storefront/launcher. Having said that, EA moving their games back to Steam has me looking at them a lot more closely and I'll probably end up buying more just for the convenience of it. I only have a handful of games on the Origins launcher so I just rarely start it up. I would love to have the option to transfer the few EA games I have over to Steam

Orv
May 4, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

For the Xbox Wireless Controller - can you play it plugged in while it is charging? Or strictly Bluetooth only? Seems like there's a Wireless Xbox controller that comes with a dongle - I'm assuming that one is not Bluetooth.

At least for the 360 era wireless ones you needed an extra pass through kit for that, dunno about the One controllers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I’ve also had Big Picture Mode related problems with FFXV and Rocket League. It’s not a big problem when you know what’s going on, but the first time you have to fix it it’s just baffling since you probably have no idea that the Steam Controller settings even exist. I dunno why Steam loves to force you into things like that. At least it’s now in the regular Steam menu so you might stumble across it- it used to be buried in BPM only, so unless you were one of the five people that actually used BPM, good luck knowing it’s there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grounded could be cool... I'm wary because Obsidian whiffed a bit on the story content of Outer Worlds, and this is going to be less story-rich, given the genre... I will wait and see how it shapes up during Early Access. The look is very cool, and they probably can do some neat environmental storytelling with the found things (going inside the machine and walking around on the motherboard was neat). That they've only done one story quest so far seems concerning to me, but I guess they're focused on perfecting the different systems first. This could end up sorta being Fallout 76: New Vegas, to make an awkward analogy. And Obsidian doesn't make the most bug-free games...... (NO PUNS!!!)

Hellbound did not run on my potato laptop (Grounded was able to, somehow.. I would play the full game on my desktop of course, but that surprised me) but I was kinda wary about the game anyway, because it's by the developer of a bunch of lovely horror games (the Doorways series), and the one Doorways game I played was total garbage.

Roki is exactly what I thought I'd get when I first wishlisted it a couple of months ago: it's Hilda the Video Game. If you're familiar with the Hilda cartoon on Netflix or the original graphic novels, this is basically that but an adventure game. It's controlled via gamepad but there are inventory puzzles. There are also rock trolls, ravens, trees with eyes, and other such whimsical things. A nice little demo. This one comes out next month.

Well, I was not expecting the final demo to wow me, but Starstruck: Hands of Time is one of the most original games I've played in this entire festival. It's a combination of Earthbound, Katamari Damacy, and Guitar Hero rock opera. You have come from the future to observe the life of claymation kids on Earth before a calamity happens, and help them progress by inserting your hand into their hand-crafted world and wrecking poo poo. The kids play music, so there are several musical sequences (4 in the half hour that I played before stopping) of different genres. The game even supports the Guitar Hero controller if you still have it. I'm curious to see how the writing fares, since it seems slightly skewed towards a younger audience, but I am excited to see how this game pans out in 2021.

And that ends my Steam Festival demo journey. I played.. a lot of demos. And I played them all on my potato laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, intel HD 620). So I'll list all the games I wishlisted as well as jot down their performance on essentially a low end pc, if that's useful for anyone:

Platformers: Ageless (60fps), Antipole DX (60fps), Arietta of Spirits (60fps), Jack Axe (60fps), Kaze & the Wild Masks (60fps), Renaine (60fps), Wargirl (60fps),

Metroidvanias: Lore Finder (60fps with some stuttering), Gestalt: Steam & Cinder (60fps), Rubi the Wayward Mira (60fps), Exophobia (60fps)

Adventure Games: Exit: A Biodelic Adventure (60fps), Night Reverie (60fps), Roki (25-30fps), Port Valley (60fps), The Almost Gone (30fps), Willy Morgan (60fps), Jessika (30fps), Crimson Diamond (authentic Sierra speed)

Puzzle: Moncage (20fps)

Action: ProtoCorgi (60fps), Astro Dogs (60fps), Rhythm Doctor (60fps), Garden Story (60fps), Outrider Mako (60fps), Ultrakill (60fps)

Misc: BarnFinders (25fps with settings cranked down), Starstruck (20-30fps), Grounded (15-20fps with all settings cranked down and resolution scaling)

My top 5 demos in no order:
Wargirl - Just a lot of fun, potentially this year's Bleed.
Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - I'm a sucker for SOTN-likes, and I love the aesthetic.
Starstruck: Hands of Time - It's just really cute and strange and interesting.
Kaze & the Wild Masks - DKC meets PS1-esque 2D artwork.
Ultrakill - a little concerned about visual variety, but the combination of uptempo run & gun retro FPS with great movement tech is a really powerful combo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

And Obsidian doesn't make the most bug-free games......

That’s not really true since Fallout New Vegas, which was a decade ago. That reputation certainly has stuck with them, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I have the xbone controller that came with the dongle, it uses 2 AA batteries and lasts a good bit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Orv posted:

At least for the 360 era wireless ones you needed an extra pass through kit for that, dunno about the One controllers.

Actually, the 360 controller's Play & Charge kit only charged the controller, it didn't pass data. You still needed to connect the controller wirelessly, even if it was plugged in charging.

The Xbone controllers will pass data by wire if plugged in though, however they only take AA batteries so you're probably not going to be charging when plugged in. I think there is a special rechargeable battery pack that Microsoft sells that does charge by USb though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Busy Bee posted:

Its the only action my 360 controllers have seen in years

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veotax posted:

Actually, the 360 controller's Play & Charge kit only charged the controller, it didn't pass data. You still needed to connect the controller wirelessly, even if it was plugged in charging.

The Xbone controllers will pass data by wire if plugged in though, however they only take AA batteries so you're probably not going to be charging when plugged in. I think there is a special rechargeable battery pack that Microsoft sells that does charge by USb though.

Huh that actually explains some issues I had with one a while back. The more you know.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Kinda tempted by cook, serve delicious 3, didn't play 2 but had a lot of fun with original

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like the CSD fans in here have said that 3 is more in line with 1 but I wouldn't take my word on that. Paging Strix basically.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

GrandpaPants posted:

Can't speak for Hearthstone, but for MTGA, yes and no. The "deck you actually want to" is the applicable phrase here, since there are some cheaper decks that only use like 4 rares, but these decks are usually some form of aggro deck. The more you go towards Midrange decks, which inherently use cards that are efficient and thus rarer, or Control decks, which tend to use big effects like "Destroy all creature" type effects plus usually some rare finisher, then you would probably need more rares. And of course if you're an idiot like me who thinks, "Oh hey this deck sounds fun" but is not "competitive," then you spend a lot of rares anyway!

And then sometimes they ban a card that caused you to craft a bunch of cards that work with the banned card and only with the banned card and then you just sigh.

Compared to paper magic, though, MTGA is definitely much more f2pable, and even if you're 100% f2p (but play every day, let's say), you should be able to craft one top tier competitive deck per set. You just probably can't craft ALL the competitive decks.

If you go for full set completion each set, you can play all the competitive decks in Arena. This is possible for F2Pers, but you need to learn how to draft.

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2019/09/how-to-complete-mtg-arena-sets-for-free-or-maybe-cheaply/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I got a Xbone wireless controller a month ago for Steam gaming and it’s amazing. It works straight out the box and 95% of games out there support it by default in game. When a button prompt shows up in game it directly corresponds to the correct button on the controller whereas with a PS4 controller you have to know that “B” means “X”. It was loving confusing and annoying. If you try a Switch Pro controller, the button mapping is reversed which makes it even worse.

You can use it plugged in but wireless works flawlessly. It has a decent battery life on AA’s but get yourself this instead, well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LYNI9Y5

Course you also have to have a Bluetooth chip in your PC.