Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

kimbo305 posted:

I wasn't getting anywhere with my forward breakfall until someone brought up the concept of a continous line of contact up the forearm and across the shoulder blades. The somersaulting on its own didn't get me closer to that smooth contact execution.
However, once I started trying to do that, I did get a lot of slumping off to the side instead of finishing forward.

I like to show people the line you're talking about. It actually goes from the pinky of your lead hand, which should be the first thing to touch the mat, up the forearm and back the arm, from the shoulder diagonal across the torso to the opposite hip, then down the outside of what was the rear leg and finally ending at the pinky toe, which should be the last thing to contact the mat. If you dissipate an impact over that much surface area you're going to take a lot of the oomph out of it.

If I'm helping people fix the side-slump one thing I'll point out to them is that the elbow of the lead arm is the steering wheel for the rest of the roll. If your elbow is flared out to the side, you're likely to roll in that direction. If though your elbow is pointed in line with your spine, making your lead arm like a roll cage for your head (which is it's primary job), you're more likely to go straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get what you mean with the flumpy sideways roll, - it's not aesthetic but honestly that one doesn't bug me much when I see it from a white belt or a yellow belt who is younger than 10. So long as the newbie is tucking their chin and landing correctly, I'm happy. Lots of people will start just straightening out on their own after 5-6 classes as they get comfortable with the roll itself, and once they start watching the higher belts.

But that "line of contact down the arm or shoulder blade" is what I work on I'm trying to train that out of someone who should be doing better. I can do a really slow motion rolling breakfall from my knees and stay inverted for a beat or two so they can see where the contact should be going. Alternatively one of the black belts senior to me will often say (to kids) "imagine that you're hugging onto a log or a big ball and you're rolling over that" and it usually helps them to visualize the right movement.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are resistance bands / resistance band workouts worth a drat?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
They're good for doing solo uchikomi but its boring AF.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's the latest from Antifa Fight Network.
https://twitter.com/ReavisHammond8/status/1273314441598251010
Confrontation gets going at 40s (only thing you miss before this is white shirt putting his glasses up on the counter).

Sensing some form of fighting is inevitable, white shirt goes first, punching from far too close but still landing squarely to sandals' left brow.
From here, sandals staggers back and white shirt goes hunting for a KO (landing a few punches but nothing better than the initial one) over establishing control.
I was not impressed with white shirt's wrestling. He could have handled sandals, but he let his feet get way too close to sandals' and took no measures to prevent his height or taller center of gravity from being used against him.
He ends up using strength to stop the momentum sandals' throw attempt and pushes sandals down onto his back, at the same time banging his right elbow hard into the floor at 54s. Moving his left forearm to in front of sandal's right before pushing down is nice -- gives him control of sandals' head the whole time.

The first few punches to the ribs white throws are surprisingly solid, but all land on the ribs. Sandals is in a relatively safe bottom position if he knew what to do with it, but he doesn't, at best slightly hampering white shirt's punching with his left knee under white shirt's armpit.

After the punches, white shirt clears sandals' head control postures up, all the while maintaining control of sandals' head by pressing down with his forearm and establishing a grip on sandals' left wrist. At this point, white shirt could disengage and stand up, or switch to any number of positions if he knew about them. Would have been no effort to clear half guard.
But he takes a look at sandals' face, notes that he's bleeding from a cut over his eye from that very first punch, and does some poo poo talking, "boy, you're getting hosed."
The psychological edge in poo poo talking during a fight cannot be overlooked.

From his strong top position, white shirt decides to punch with his left hand while keeping grips with his other hand. He is utterly and comically foiled by the two chairs, even looping his arm through the armrest of one of them. There is a brief struggle where sandals' tries to shield himself by holding onto a chair before white shirt rips it away.
This becomes another opportunity to disengage, but white shirt has sandals pushed into a corner and rises to his knees to try to punch some more. That abandonment of contact and control is what gives sandals a chance to roll forward onto his knees, under the ineffectively barrage of punches from white shirt. Sandals has a tiny window to reverse positions by tackling white shirt's leg, but he instead chooses to try to stand up by holding onto the chair.

At this point, white shirt could have escalated by kicking or kneeing, shoving sandals movie-style into the shelf of cosmetics, or descalating by walking away. He instead secures sandals' outside arm and instinctively sprawls at 1:31 the moment sandals inadvertently changes levels and opens up the possibility of grabbing a leg. The clearest sign yet of any wrestling training.
The next few seconds show white shirt keeping the spraw and a general tone of restraint, of not exercising options to do more damage. Sandals has found a can of hairspray but can't capitalize, as any targets are way in front of him or behind his back. White throws a couple more punches to fully convince sandals to turtle up, then asks if he sandals wants any more OF THESE HANDS. The answer is no.

Sure enough, OP said he did HS wrestling and was on the worse end of the spectrum.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
A good list of movements to do with bands:
https://simplifaster.com/articles/top-resistance-band-exercises/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Have any of you been following this Joe Rogan onyx gloves thing? Some of my fight buddies were saying that he has been marketing them as doing less brain damage which is :psyduck:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't heard anything about but I'd be really bummed to hear he was saying anything irresponsible or disingenuous about CTE; all the clips I've seen he takes it seriously and always seems to be on "the right side of history" regarding combat sport health risks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's part of why I'm asking. It was like "these sparring gloves are way safer because the foam..." And then they describe something that breaks the laws of physics. Something about a demo with a bowling ball.

I'm not going to go poison my YouTube recs to seek this poo poo out on my own

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm not going to go poison my YouTube recs to seek this poo poo out on my own

What is the exact source, a JRE interview?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks like it's this, here's a five minute video. I'm only skimming it because it's already past my bedtime, but so far it just seems like it's an incremental improvement over what the UFC uses now, I don't know if that's true or not but it doesn't sound like a snake oil pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGupKJ8Hbs

Edit: Also, I mean, it's the guy in the interview pushing it, and Joe Rogan accommodating him. Which, you know, is super on brand for Joe, for better or worse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ I really like Joe Rogan's podcasts, but he's done a lot of questionable/batshit interviews which hover on endorsement which I can't quite get behind, so that's not super surprising.

Other topic....

We do scheduled testing every 3 months, so 4 times a year. To get tested, we are graded by our masters (8th and 9th dan). Our testing regimen for senior belts (green/blue/red/black with stripes between) have a pattern component, pre-arranged sparring, and free sparring. In order to test we need to be approved to test by our primary instructors (4th+... min 20+ years experience) that we are ready to test.. in other words, we know what's expected of us and will succeed.. Our last round of testing was scheduled for mid March, literally, just as COVID was hitting the fan. We were making changes to the testing regimen right up until a couple days before testing when the pin was pulled and closed all in dojang/class stuff.

I was approved and scheduled to test for my red belt before it closed tight.

Our club finally reopened this week in our new protocols with a severely modified class structure, but drat, it's nice to be back in a club setting people and room to work and not worry about reverse kicking the TV or breaking a toe on the sofa.

I have become quite close to several instructors and our masters over the past few years (age similarities, I'm an old gently caress) and they were struggling with practically how to test with the current environment. Our local health authorities still frown on person-person contact, so sparring and associated hands-on moves are not advised (basically barring free sparring and take downs), and we're really not sure when it'll resume.. September? Maybe not until a vaccine is in widespread use? So maybe Dec/March? A full year by then?

So the masters took a step of for those of us testing this past march of differing to our instructors and if they approved us to test they are recognizing their judgement and will be promoted. So, I guess I'll be a red belt next week. :toot:

How are other clubs doing this right now?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 20, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Looks like it's this, here's a five minute video. I'm only skimming it because it's already past my bedtime, but so far it just seems like it's an incremental improvement over what the UFC uses now, I don't know if that's true or not but it doesn't sound like a snake oil pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGupKJ8Hbs

Edit: Also, I mean, it's the guy in the interview pushing it, and Joe Rogan accommodating him. Which, you know, is super on brand for Joe, for better or worse.

“The guy” is a former UFC champion. I think it’s safe to say he has some skin in the game. Obviously don’t take his marketing at face value but I don’t think it’s a stretch he wants to make a better and hopefully safer glove.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I didn't see any discussion in there about concussions or what would happen to the person being hit, other than extra side padding on the training gloves?

mewse
May 2, 2006

They mention safer for the fighters a couple times so I guess that gets game of telephoned into less concussions

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I only ever remember him talking about gloves being better because they curve the hand so less eye pokes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

They mention safer for the fighters a couple times so I guess that gets game of telephoned into less concussions

The biggest two points that Rashad talks about have to do with eyepokes and broken hands. Current UFC gloves have a tendency to force your fingers straight which leads to a fuckton of eyepokes. Pride gloves and these new ones curve your fingers making it so you can’t really straighten your fingers without a lot of effort.

The other side is more padding to protect your hands. He mentions specifically padding to keep everything aligned through your wrist and hand to prevent breaking from punches plus extra padding around the thumb area for sambo style casting punches.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't know the exact source. We're playing broken telephone with gym buds, right? I'll see if I can get a link from the group chat I guess. I just assumed that someone here would know what I was talking about.

Anyway, what they described was

a) sparring gloves, not MMA gloves

b) some demo with the special foam and a bowling ball compared to regular foam, which sounded like a lovely informercial.

c) the special foam "absorbs all of the force" so it doesn't go into your opponent which is different from regular foam because :rogan:. I asked "so does the foam heat up or something?" and my buds were just kinda were like "uh idunno"

Wow I got a reply from them before I finished typing this post:
https://onxsports.com/collections/gloves

"The bowling ball demo was on the podcast with Cejudo"

BTW we need :rogan: to be like :umberto: but with "that's REALLY interesting"
ee. If someone makes that I'll buy it. I'm due to make a spine fund donation and I don't feel like changing my av or buying one for somebody yet.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 20, 2020

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

“The guy” is a former UFC champion. I think it’s safe to say he has some skin in the game. Obviously don’t take his marketing at face value but I don’t think it’s a stretch he wants to make a better and hopefully safer glove.

You are right, but Rashad is in full salesman mode here. Those gloves might provide decent hand support, but when he starts talking about ACLs he is just blowing smoke.

Also, there is some research into gloves that reduce force. ATM foam technology is not enough so they use an air bladder. First models looked like pillow punchers. They refined it and you end up with what looks like 3-4 inches of extra glove on the knuckles. I don’t think it even reduced impact 50% at best.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

c) the special foam "absorbs all of the force" so it doesn't go into your opponent which is different from regular foam because :rogan:

d3o spreads the impact over a bigger area. I dunno if that’s what’s being discussed, though. I’d be curious how that feels on the opponent and whether it would make sense in a glove for fighting. People seem to like it for protection in motorsport gloves, etc.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I think you guys may be reading into the reduction of concussions thing a bit too much. If we are talking about the actual competition glove, you don’t really want to a glove that reduces concussions because it just means people are going to be hit more until they are KO’d. If you can make a glove that feels more natural, protects the wearer’s hands more, is less likely to snag during a fight and less likely to produce cuts you’ve designed a glove that is 100% safer.

The training version of gloves tend to be overbuild to reduce hard contact so people are less likely to develop contusions. They may also allow the striker to hit a little harder in training without upsetting their opponent, but again that would be a bad thing in actual competition.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

d3o spreads the impact over a bigger area. I dunno if that’s what’s being discussed, though. I’d be curious how that feels on the opponent and whether it would make sense in a glove for fighting. People seem to like it for protection in motorsport gloves, etc.

Yeah but spreading it around doesn't do much for mitigating brain damage, because that's just mass*velocity in the end. This is why I'm skeptical of all of these claims. Also, did you look at the loving prices on these things? Some of my buddies are thinking about preordering these gloves because they trust what they're hearing and honestly think that they're getting safer sparring equipment by paying 3-4x as much as they would otherwise.

Maybe I'll suck it up and find the actual bowling ball demonstration in the video and take it to the pseudoscience thread, then report back with my findings.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but spreading it around doesn't do much for mitigating brain damage

Some of my buddies are thinking about preordering these gloves because they trust what they're hearing and honestly think that they're getting safer sparring equipment by paying 3-4x as much as they would otherwise.

d3o would absolutely be better and safer for the puncher. It’d be like an on demand plastered wrap. That’s the ethics but i was talking about. You get better hand protection, but politely worse for the target.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think you guys may be reading into the reduction of concussions thing a bit too much.

I think we’re trying to track down if any claim on concussions has been made at all for these gloves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

d3o would absolutely be better and safer for the puncher. It’d be like an on demand plastered wrap. That’s the ethics but i was talking about. You get better hand protection, but politely worse for the target.

I think we’re trying to track down if any claim on concussions has been made at all for these gloves.

Yeah but the pitch (as summarized by my buds) was that it's better for the recipient of the blow.

I'm opening up a private window and browsing through the cejudo one now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Got it - it's Gaethje and Whittman, and it's a marble/bearing, not a bowling ball.

"technology foam"

It looks like most of the claims are about protecting the puncher, not the punched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICrqTmO3Eo4&t=6014s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know if d3o is in that foam, but that's exactly how it behaves in terms of absorbing impact.
I love the features Wittman is adding to his shinguard. The extra layer on the joint (that's usually just elastic fabric) between the instep pad and the shin pad would def help with bruising on misplaced kicks. I'm not as sold on L/R specific pads. Not that I don't think it's worth trying, just that people's legs are already quite varied in shape, that you might not benefit that much more from a side specific shaping.

Nevertheless I think it's a real downside to sparring how reflexively we stop and relax immediately when a partner holds up a hand because their shinguard is rotated 90deg after a kick catch attempt. Incredibly unsporting, but I'm sure you could draw that kind of deescalation just by holding up your hand and making a "hold up" face during a real fight. You see it frequently enough when fighters put their hands to a poked eye.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

kimbo305 posted:

Nevertheless I think it's a real downside to sparring how reflexively we stop and relax immediately when a partner holds up a hand because their shinguard is rotated 90deg after a kick catch attempt. Incredibly unsporting, but I'm sure you could draw that kind of deescalation just by holding up your hand and making a "hold up" face during a real fight. You see it frequently enough when fighters put their hands to a poked eye.

This is the punchsports equivalent of a war crime

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but the pitch (as summarized by my buds) was that it's better for the recipient of the blow.

So basically your gym buds don't have listening comprehension.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xand_Man posted:

This is the punchsports equivalent of a war crime

Regarding sparring habits, I don't wanna be too humorous, but I think the skills you gain from training are going to vastly outweigh any conditioned responses from sparring etiquette.

Like, regular rear end dudes can't control their reaction to a one - two, and that's way worse than me not internalizing the cobra kai mantra.

Edit: oh, i don't know what glib means, I looked it up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 22, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding sparring habits, I don't wanna be too humorous, but I think the skills you gain from training are going to vastly outweigh any conditioned responses from sparring etiquette.

Like, regular rear end dudes can't control their reaction to a one - two, and that's way worse than me not internalizing the cobra kai mantra.

Edit: oh, i don't know what glib means, I looked it up.

I'm being glib, yeah, but also serious. It's basically attacking under a false flag of truce; I had a visceral reaction to the idea.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I quoted you more as a way to continue that conversation than to disagree with what you said, I should have been clearer about that, sorry. Not that I really think any of this topic was 100% serious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Virtuous is he who has never intentionally let a loose piece of equipment twist during an exchange to get a breather.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My shin pads didn't fit me and it meant that every 30 seconds the pro fighter babying me through a 2 minute round had to stop his merciless assault to let me gently caress with them...but I bought them through the gym and sort of silently waited for the gym owner to see that they don't fit me before I bought new ones (which did happen after like the third time, thank god).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

Virtuous is he who has never intentionally let a loose piece of equipment twist during an exchange to get a breather.

The best is when you and your partner are wiped and sort of tactically agree gear to adjust gear or clinch up and half rear end pummel for a minute.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it seems like people are looking to the lifeboats with all this forum drama.

I don't know much of the details but seeing a lot of discords popping up.

(Posted in grappling thread too)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Can't believe I'm doing this, on several levels, but:

If SA goes out unexpectedly, I say we use Twitter and some SA # to reform in discord.

Been 16 years and counting and I don't want everything to blow up.

Just in case.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are there any mma/grappling Slacks to glom onto? IRC is so old school.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Update:

There is an MMA discord we can flee to. Use this list to join + other goon channels

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

Update:

There is an MMA discord we can flee to. Use this list to join + other goon channels

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/

Yo thanks for this.

I love this place even if I don’t post much, it’s a shame Lowtax seems determined to explode everything he’s ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Np.

dk how this shakes out but if SA goes under due to cash flow issues, I doubt there will be warning.