Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

So I got the game because of a youtube video series. Loving it so far but making money seems... very difficult? Caravans and workshops seem to make almost no profit at all. Also how important are skills like trade, blacksmith, steward etc for the player character? I'm getting conflicting info from googling and I'd rather have some direct feedback.

I know you can get companions to learn any skill to accompany yours but they need to level up first after all.

I haven't bothered with caravans or smithing, so I can't comment on that. I've read posts from other goons in this thread saying you can make a ton of money smithing.

High trade is not necessary to make a lot of money, though there are some useful perks associated with it.

Steward is one of the most important skills in the game because it lets you field more troops in your personal party, making you more powerful even when you're not in an army, which you probably won't be for most of the game. I'd recommend allocating the maximum of five focus points to it and eventually getting your Intelligence up to something decent, at least 5.

Workshops can be quite good. Which ones have you built that you're not making any money? My default fallback is breweries just because grain villages are abundant across the map, but I have had even better luck building tanneries in cities that have villages producing cows or horses, such as Rhotae or Amitatys. They've been making 300-650 (it does tend to fluctuate a lot).
It takes a while for production to ramp up, so give it a few in-game weeks after you've built one to see what the profit is like after it stabilizes.

Your companions won't really be making you any money in most playstyles. What I do after a while in a new playthrough is give myself the Steward clan role since the PC will most likely have the highest cap, then I scour the encyclopedia for wanderers with the highest skill levels in Scout, Medicine, and Engineering, respectively. Those will be assigned the appropriate clan roles and I try to min-max only that particular skill on them (you will probably need to improve other skills anyway because of the dumb way the leveling system works). That way you can dump those skills on your own character, freeing up focus points.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/186

Be sure to manually unblock every .dll file. This mod makes most perks actually work.

For money early on, I bet on myself at every tournament I come across. I trade. I max out my workshops. Ransom prisoners. If you are really desperate, you can do as many arena fights as you want.

The money comes easier once you are a vassal and can engage as many enemy lords as you choose. The ransom/loot from those engagements is very lucrative.

As far as perks go, I'd choose riding, bow, some kind of melee weapon (two-handed, ideally) as well as leadership. Trade is a good one to develop also.

I've not tried tactics, so I can't speak to that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's weird, people keep recommending two-handed, but that's the only melee skill I always dump. I get that it wrecks fools, but don't you get destroyed while fighting multiple enemies at once or charging enemy cavalry that has polearms? I don't think I could get over the lack of a shield, in many battles I've been one-shot just because I forgot to put it up in time. I must be missing something.

e: yeah, Leadership is really useful, once you get it high enough your party morale will be at a basically permanent 100. Don't worry if it seems really slow to level at first. Once you reach tier 2 and can become a vassal, you can just 'cheese' it by forming an army with a single other party (so as to limit the speed of decay). You will then steadily accumulate Leadership xp just by running around on the map.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 20, 2020

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I try to avoid charging headlong at anyone with a spear, as the AI has really good timing. I prefer to feint at them and fire arrows or broadside them with giant axe swings once their dangerous charge has stalled out. A one-handed weapon doesn't give me as much reach from the saddle.

On foot during sieges, I prefer the battlement-clearing potential of a few axe swings. My goal is usually to carve a breach for my allies on the ladder behind me, and so I need the cleave from the two-handed axe.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

FrickenMoron posted:

So I got the game because of a youtube video series. Loving it so far but making money seems... very difficult? Caravans and workshops seem to make almost no profit at all. Also how important are skills like trade, blacksmith, steward etc for the player character? I'm getting conflicting info from googling and I'd rather have some direct feedback.

I know you can get companions to learn any skill to accompany yours but they need to level up first after all.

As far as making money goes, right now blacksmithing is broken as all hell in those regards, which makes up for trade and workshops currently being borderline useless. My trick on my latest playthrough is to take a companion that naturally has a really high endurance (previously I used my main character, but this cuts out skill points that can be better used elsewhere), designate them my main blacksmith, and then pump their blacksmithing skill up to max while also focusing on endurance until it's at least level 7. Starting out, focus on making 2-handed swords since they're worth the most and will raise your skill the fastest (often up to like 30-40 points per sword) and will also unlock a shitload of new parts. Keep making the most advanced 2-handed swords you can using your newly unlocked parts with that character while using your others to smelt down junk gear and make charcoal (always go for the extra charcoal perk on every character as the iron one is worthless) or to smelt higher level steel types.

Eventually, your 2-handed swords will be worth more money than most shops even carry (you can get 20-30k from just a tier 3 blade, and 50-70k easy from a tier 4). If you get really lucky, you might unlock some of the javelin parts, where a tier 2 head and a tier 4 mahogany shaft with decently high blacksmithing will net you 100k+ for just a couple iron and a piece of hardwood. I will regularly buy up all of the high-level gear that guarantees fine steel when smelted for like 20k, smelt it all down, then sell the crafted sword back (as well as buying all the high-level armor and horses for my companions) and still completely clean out a town of all of its cash.

Using this method, in my current game I have around 350k denars at day 104, and in my previous playthrough I had up to around 3.5 million around day 600 without even really making it a major focus. It's cheesy, yeah, but with how unbalanced everything is right now I think it's a perfectly fair trade.

Edit: This also lets you make really high level custom weapons for your characters, which is just nice.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 20, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

I try to avoid charging headlong at anyone with a spear, as the AI has really good timing. I prefer to feint at them and fire arrows or broadside them with giant axe swings once their dangerous charge has stalled out. A one-handed weapon doesn't give me as much reach from the saddle.

On foot during sieges, I prefer the battlement-clearing potential of a few axe swings. My goal is usually to carve a breach for my allies on the ladder behind me, and so I need the cleave from the two-handed axe.

I guess that would work pretty well, although I can't imagine taking on a forest bandit base with only a two-handed weapon. I'd probably make it ten seconds before dying.

I've had a lot of success alternating between mace + shield and one-handed lance + shield. Lance for the field battles, mace if you're fighting a siege or clearing a hideout.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLCoolJD posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/186

Be sure to manually unblock every .dll file. This mod makes most perks actually work.

For money early on, I bet on myself at every tournament I come across. I trade. I max out my workshops. Ransom prisoners. If you are really desperate, you can do as many arena fights as you want.

The money comes easier once you are a vassal and can engage as many enemy lords as you choose. The ransom/loot from those engagements is very lucrative.

As far as perks go, I'd choose riding, bow, some kind of melee weapon (two-handed, ideally) as well as leadership. Trade is a good one to develop also.

I've not tried tactics, so I can't speak to that.

Why the gently caress are so many perks broken if theyre easily fixed by the community in a patch? jeez.

Another dumb noob question, the game says someone wanderer hero (recruitable, right?) is staying at a certain town / was last seen there but I can't find them anywhere, checked all the buildings. I want to recruit them for their steward/trade skills.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

Another dumb noob question, the game says someone wanderer hero (recruitable, right?) is staying at a certain town / was last seen there but I can't find them anywhere, checked all the buildings. I want to recruit them for their steward/trade skills.

Sometimes The Wanderers will chase tournaments so if you go to a town where someone is supposed to be and they're not there, I've found that checking the nearby cities that have tournaments in them is a good way to locate them.

Also you never have to search for anyone on foot, the potential companions are always in the tavern.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Why the gently caress are so many perks broken if theyre easily fixed by the community in a patch? jeez.

Sometimes the wanderers are in a different town than what the encyclopedia says or they don't spawn at all. You can use a console command to find named characters on the world map (it will zoom to their location). I forgot the exact command but it is something like "locate hero." If it turns out the wanderer has not spawned at all and is basically nowhere but the encyclopedia (thie happened to me with one I wanted to hire) you can use the "telepathy" mod, which lets you initiate conversations from the encyclopedia page, to talk to them and hire them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Seems like the game has spawned zero companions with the tactics skill in my game... means i cant do any of the bandit camp missions passively? How do you even level tactics for them.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

FrickenMoron posted:

Seems like the game has spawned zero companions with the tactics skill in my game... means i cant do any of the bandit camp missions passively? How do you even level tactics for them.

Put some focus points into Tactics so they actually have room to level up (with 0 stat and 0 focus points, they're hard-capped at 0) and give them their own party. Tactics skill goes up for the party leader when people who aren't the party leader deal damage (or through auto-resolving fights, which naturally all AI fights are). As long as they have actual space to gain skill points, they'll get it naturally as they get into fights as a party leader. Even caravan leaders will get tactics skill if they've got room for it.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

FrickenMoron posted:

Unfortunately most of the wanderer/companions in the game do not have skills outside of combat, aside from a few traders.

I've added a whole slew of new companions that have lots of different skills in my mod, so you can use them as noble overlooking castles, or trading, crafting etc. (basically I just went through all skills and made characters for each of them.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently the mod that lets you change xp gain on a skill by skill basis is broken. drat shame, 2x is good for the combat skills but not nearly enough for like trade and the more intellectual stuff.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hang on, do the clan roles actually do anything?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, do the clan roles actually do anything?

Yeah they pretty much work, setting someone to the role will force them to use that skill and will level them up. But mostly the roles will auto set themselves passively to whomever has the best engineer/medicine/trade/scout.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
With the impending leveling changes, I might actually use some of the clan roles. With the way it is now, I want to get skills in everything so I can level more. I never let my companions be in charge of poo poo.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I'm hoping that the skill system is now more of a skill tree, spending points to go down the tree, rather than weird "this or that" AB choices without any rhyme or reason.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually decided to do a bit more of the "main quest" and now i have to raid a bandit hideout to get more banner pieces... except the game crashes as soon as my party is near the hideout. Any fixes? Google shows that earlier versions had a hideout crash related to a trade perk but thats not the case for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Throwing in the towel at 79 hours. Good game, need more time in oven. I wanna see late game expanded a lot more. Echoing what others said that, despite its faults, its still miles better than Warband and I wont ever play Warband again because theres already so many QoL additions. Here's the mods I used on 1.4.2 beta branch which helped keep my sanity. All are on Nexus Mods, and all work with said beta branch.

Bannerlord Tweaks - Definitely a must have, but you dear goon probably knew that. Default settings are good for the most part. Things I ended up switching were the age sliders so my offspring didn't take 15 in game years to become usable. I changed hero exp gain rate to 2.25 to allow me faster leveling on the more esoteric skills like trade and roguery. I also made it so captured lords didn't immediately escape prison after collecting them (because otherwise they come back days later with 500 troops) and set their minimum prison stay for 30 days.

ModLib - Required for Bannerlord Tweaks.

Caravans Give Trade XP - Because they don't currently and trade takes too long to level by manually going around the map and selling furs and grapes. This allowed me to get to Trade 225 which unlocks the perk that lets you buy/sell settlements.

Telepathy - Lets you talk to anyone using the ingame encyclopedia. Makes it easier to buy fiefs/ask for peace/convert nobles across the map without having to actually travel there. I felt it was a little cheaty at first when people mentioned it ITT, but it soon became a required thing for me. Hunting down nobles get tiring after a while, especially when you have to track them down using day-old clues.

War Cooldown - After you get established as a kingdom and get vassals, you will be called to war (or declared upon) by some nation once every few days. This becomes extremely exhausting. Sure you can bribe someone to get a peace deal, but that gets increasingly expensive and then they'll just declare on you again 2 days later, or your council will have you vote to declare war on them and you wont have enough influence to override their decision. Default settings make it so war can't be acted upon if its less than 30 days after the previous war.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

More little updates and tweaks to my PowerUp! vanilla mod.

Download here: PowerUp Mod v8

This is using the current beta branch...

What's new?

I wanted to take on the levelling of the game, help flatten it and make it so you can learn past the limit indefinitely at a minimum rate dependant on your focus.
Note: If you are already running a game, when you next level up a skill it will sort out where the level should be so you may gain 10 - 30 skill levels at once, which is just the system readjusting to the new system.

TROOPS
- Added T5 and T6 units to the regular Battanian tree
- Highlander and Highlander Champion, upgrades from Falxmen as a superior highly armoured two-handed claymore fighter
- (Falxman T4 -> Highlander T5 -> Highlander Champion T6)

LEVELLING
Reworked the player levelling system
- Reduced the rapid exponential growth for xp requirements at higher levels.
- XP requirement per skill is higher at level 1, but grows slower over higher levels.
- Reduced growth of SP required for gaining a level.
- Learning rate now increases overall as your level increases
- Learning rate now decays much slower depending on how far the skill is over the learning limit.
- Learning rates now has a minimum rate of 0.5x + (0.25x * Focus Level)

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 22, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm a boring idiot who actually thought that the falxes were lame (yes I know the Celts were in both Britain and Thrace) so I'm glad to see some motherfuckin' claymore infantry, thanks Fishbus! Also the skill rate tweak is sorely needed, goddamn

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a way to see all of a non-clan character's stats (including attributes) instead of just the skills they're good at? Makes a pretty big difference if someone with 100 Scouting has 2 or 7 Cunning.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a way to see all of a non-clan character's stats (including attributes) instead of just the skills they're good at? Makes a pretty big difference if someone with 100 Scouting has 2 or 7 Cunning.

Once hired, go to your start screen and click the left and right arrow on the top of the screen to change which character's stats you are looking at. Before hiring, I don't know if you can.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fishbus posted:

More little updates and tweaks to my PowerUp! vanilla mod.

I have been getting this crash every time I run your updated mod. The one I'm running successfully is a few iterations ago but these last two, crash my game with this same crash every time I open a save or start a new game.

https://imgur.com/a/XDnm3Fg

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

I have been getting this crash every time I run your updated mod. The one I'm running successfully is a few iterations ago but these last two, crash my game with this same crash every time I open a save or start a new game.

Hmm, are you on the beta branch? Because Fishbus switched to it two versions ago and that was the first thing that came to mind.

EDIT: Hoo boy that's a lot of experience. Probably should turn down this XP multiplier to like, 1.5x instead.

EDIT2: Ah gently caress, giving a companion a party role stops you from earning XP with that skill? It was probably obvious in retrospect but dang, since the game needs you to raise skills to level up, I guess the "optimal" way to do things is to be a master of all trades in the end.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 23, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah, this is because I'm now building the mod for the latest beta branch.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got a movement penalty today I've not seen before- "disorganisation" or something like that.
I'm not too worried as it was relatively small, but given the state of things irl, it was hard not to take personally.

Fishbus posted:

Yeah they pretty much work, setting someone to the role will force them to use that skill and will level them up. But mostly the roles will auto set themselves passively to whomever has the best engineer/medicine/trade/scout.

Ok, good to know. So it's an XP booster then

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

I got a movement penalty today I've not seen before "disorganisation" or something like that.
This is after a siege or battle, your troops are regathering so they don't move as fast since they're 'disorganised'.

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, good to know. So it's an XP booster then
Pretty much, it's still good to set them to your best companions, otherwise it will default to you the party leader.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Included a quick fix for the mod that suppresses the debug spam I left in regarding levelling up learning rates.

Download here: PowerUp Mod e8

This is using the current beta branch...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BigHead posted:

Once hired, go to your start screen and click the left and right arrow on the top of the screen to change which character's stats you are looking at. Before hiring, I don't know if you can.

Yeah, before hiring. Would be pretty useful. I kind of wish you were at least given the option of re-rolling the attributes of your companions.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, before hiring. Would be pretty useful. I kind of wish you were at least given the option of re-rolling the attributes of your companions.

I tend to just go to the tavern area in the town management screen, right click on the list of wanderers that appear inside and look at their main skills. Which will only show up is >50.

You tend to get a rough idea of what they are good at. Having attributes on display would also be good. I'd wish that their >50 skills was also shown on their inventory screen so i can equip them accordingly without having to continually flick back and forth between the character screen to find out how to best equip them for combat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know all of that. But if you hire a 120 scout and it turns out they have 1 Cunning, you're hosed, you can never go beyond that 120. You'd be better off with a 7 Cunning and 10 Scouting wanderer. I just want to see all of their stats.

e: anyway since a lot of you are probably also into Vermintide 2, just a heads up that the big new patch has dropped.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

There was a "respec companions" mod at some point, not sure if it still exists/is being updated.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So I played around 20 hours of a Khuzait Campaign so far. I wonder, how do you ever catch up with enemies without the massive amount of cavalry / horse archers when playing armies of other factions?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The small fries get away, but I believe that extra horses in your inventory speed up your infantry's map movement. I've had pretty good luck catching the larger groups even with my army.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gotta go fast tips:

- Get as many horses as you can (other than mules or sumpter horses), ideally stopping right before you get the Herd penalty (which you get for having too many of them). If you see on the tooltip that you're at -0.01 Herd penalty or whatever, get rid of a few horses until it disappears again.

- Make sure a large part of your army is cavalry.

- Don't run around with too many prisoners, if you're over half your prisoner limit it's probably a good idea to stock some of them in the dungeon of a fief that you own, if you own any.

- There are a couple of perks that increase party speed under certain circumstances, keep an eye out for them.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
It would be cool if you could detach a scouting/cavalry force from your army temporarily. I wonder if that's moddable or too hardcoded to change

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone discovered a way to manually mod prisoner's escape chance. Because right now it seems to be around 25% per day which is loving insane. I have a saved game from a previous version where I had a mod to prevent escape and when I updated it (and disabled the mod because it's not updated for beta) between 3 and 6 prisoners escape every day until they are all gone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Has anyone discovered a way to manually mod prisoner's escape chance. Because right now it seems to be around 25% per day which is loving insane. I have a saved game from a previous version where I had a mod to prevent escape and when I updated it (and disabled the mod because it's not updated for beta) between 3 and 6 prisoners escape every day until they are all gone.

Something is going wrong in your game, that should not be happening. Regular prisoners should never escape unless you're over your prisoner limit, and nobles should now stay put for at least a few days, long enough for you to get to the nearest town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I always stay within my prisoner limit and after hours and hours of play I think only one guy escaped before I could ransom him. For me it seems extremely rare for escapes to happen at or below your prisoner limit.