Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've never played an X game before. Is there a quick start guide/new player guide somewhere?

The game looks to be somewhat less complicated than EVE, but much more complicated than Elite: Dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The new official tutorials do a decent job of explaining how to literally play the game.

For conceptually grasping the game, it's important to remember always that is a dynamic sandbox. poo poo just happens, and you have wider freedom of action than you might think from the presentation. Like you can go trading and just buy low and sell high... or you can loiter around stations that are selling goods in demand and then ambush+pirate a merchant transport after it leaves the cover of the station. Or you can hack a station's cargo terminal to eject their valuable goods and sell them back to the station at ruinous prices.

I'd also recommend against optimizing as hard as you can. If that floats your boat, y'know, whatever. But the game isn't really well balanced, so don't fuss too much over earning cash at optimum rates. Instead aim for gameplay you find interesting.

(If you look up quick start guides for X4, you'll find a bunch of guides that say "Mine crystals until you hit several million then start an automatic trading empire!" Leaving aside that crystals have been nerfed in a recent patch, neither activity may be something you actually enjoy doing.)

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 21, 2020

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The new official tutorials do a decent job of explaining how to literally play the game.

For conceptually grasping the game, it's important to remember always that is a dynamic sandbox. poo poo just happens, and you have wider freedom of action than you might think from the presentation. Like you can go trading and just buy low and sell high... or you can loiter around stations that are selling goods in demand and then ambush+pirate a merchant transport after it leaves the cover of the station. Or you can hack a station's cargo terminal to eject their valuable goods and sell them back to the station at ruinous prices.

I'd also recommend against optimizing as hard as you can. If that floats your boat, y'know, whatever. But the game isn't really well balanced, so don't fuss too much over earning cash at optimum rates. Instead aim for gameplay you find interesting.

(If you look up quick start guides for X4, you'll find a bunch of guides that say "Mine crystals until you hit several million then start an automatic trading empire!" Leaving aside that crystals have been nerfed in a recent patch, neither activity may be something you actually enjoy doing.)

Hm... it would be cool to set up automatic money generation while I go do other things. That's something you can't do in ED.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Annath posted:

Hm... it would be cool to set up automatic money generation while I go do other things. That's something you can't do in ED.

That's definitely possible and in fact inevitable. The typical sort of starting progression for passive income early game is buying miners to automine in a sector, followed by some traders to do autotrading around the universe. The pilots will level up and become more efficient.

Then you can go and do other things like missions (which can be quite lucrative, especially the easy mine-clearing missions) or just go shoot some xenon in the motherboards. Or you can go try to capture ships in unowned sectors (so you don't get sector police coming after you), etc.

Mid-game money-maker is by running your own stations, particularly a shipyard / wharf. Also doing military build missions is a great early-mid-game money maker and that's a fairly handsoff experience (design station, assign builder, go tool around for a bit, cha ching).

Fairly early on you can basically tool around and explore while your subordinates make money for you. It's the expected 'second step'.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a really pretty snappy to get your own base set up compared to autotraders because of the weird skill requirement.

My suggestion from the other page stands after you do the tutorials. Fly around the highways and look at your mission offers and do the easy looking ones. You'll be able to afford a miner pretty soon. It pays itself off ridiculously quickly and then you but more miners etc. And you suddenly have 15 million burning a whole in your pocket.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m new and still figuring a lot of this game out, but I managed to get a bunch of parts towards a SETA by salvaging an active battlefield. Just look for stations doing a shake dance and go Hoover up expensive bits and bobs from big ships.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 21, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Annath posted:

The thing to get is that despite appearances, this is a German economy game. This means that you are really playing Port Royale or Patrician in a first person mode rather than ED with industry.

You are trying to make a business empire that funds your 'driving a fleet around blowing up bad guys' gameplay.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Alchenar posted:

The thing to get is that despite appearances, this is a German economy game.
You are trying to make a business empire that funds your 'driving a fleet around blowing up bad guys' gameplay.

X series is secretly Anno 3006

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've never played any of those other games :ohdear:

E: also, will I be gimped playing with a controller?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Annath posted:

I've never played any of those other games :ohdear:

E: also, will I be gimped playing with a controller?

I have, but I like X4 much more. If flying around 1st person in a spaceship appeals, this is a good game to do it in.

As for the controller - I found it fine for normal flying around, but had problems aiming and changing speed in combat. Aiming was much easier if I used the mouse instead but because of the speed controls it was still very hard for me to keep on an enemy's tail, for example, until I got a HOTAS. But my controller was cheap and I suck at all game tasks requiring dexterity, so YMMV.

Whatever controller you have you will also need to use mouse and keyboard, there's just too much for a controller to handle.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, in fact a couple of pages back there was a thread consensus that kb+m is probably actually best.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Has anyone ITT looked into modding? I want to create a chase mod that provides some mid-end game overpowered ship parts. Does something like that exist? From what I've seen on the workshop it likely isn't too difficult to do. Thoughts?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How much money do I need to make a mining minion? And does the mining tutorial cover setting that up?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think you can set up a decent Drill for less than a million.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Version 3.30 Beta 1 (403173) - 2020-06-25
  • New Feature: Improved personnel management and crew transfer system.
  • Added new upkeep missions.
  • Added limit of 10 simultaneous accepted missions (excluding plot, upkeep and guidance missions).
  • Added Hold Position override order variant for use during attacks.
  • Added option to put docked ships into internal storage.
  • Added ability to enter space suit from docked capital ships.
  • Added ability to define multiple sectors for player alerts.
  • Added ticker notification for player-owned ships and stations coming under attack.
  • Added logbook entry for player-owned stations being attacked.
  • Added notification and logbook entry for player-owned stations getting destroyed.
  • Added option to fire unassigned crew members in Crew Info menu.
  • Added option to pause production in Logical Station Overview.
  • Added information about station supply resources to Logical Station Overview.
  • Added captions to columns in Logical Station Overview.
  • Added ship type icons to blueprint trade and Fast Travel menus.
  • Added map filter options for enemy offers and gate connections.
  • Added map background opacity option.
  • Added new input bindings for diagonal steering and strafing.
  • Added new input bindings for toggling auto-roll and aim assist options.
  • Added option to select GPU in-game (requires restart).
  • Removed ability of Cerberus to be equipped with mining lasers.
  • Improved docking process to allow S and M sized ships to be docked in reverse direction.
  • Improved Defence subordinate behaviour by reducing engagement range to 20km.
  • Improved resource handling to move surplus resources for Drones and Ammo to cargo bay if station has use for them.
  • Improved balancing of seminars (increased effectiveness, increased price, reduced quantity available).
  • Improved subordinate traders by changing priority to favour demand over distance.
  • Improved AutoMiners to make use of their factions' resource probes.
  • Improved selection of sectors for order parameters in Behaviour menu.
  • Improved wording of ship role assignments in Interact menu.
  • Improved performance of Distribute Wares order in cases where blacklists result in it having significantly smaller operating range.
  • Improved performance of mission guidance rendering on map.
  • Fixed Paranid plot mission A Small Errand getting stuck at objective Follow: Dead Drop Signal under specific late game circumstances.
  • Fixed certain plot stations being recycled due to economic issues.
  • Fixed blueprints being obtainable from data leaks on ships.
  • Fixed rebuilt build modules remaining in an inoperable state if they were wrecked before existing hack expired.
  • Fixed ships having lingering links to inoperable build modules resulting in them not being able to upgrade elsewhere.
  • Fixed ships executing order Distribute Wares sometimes finding trades in blacklisted sectors.
  • Fixed ships belonging to Godrealm of the Paranid in Split space persisting when they shouldn't.
  • Fixed AI-controlled ships sometimes jumping ahead on path after going through accelerator or gate.
  • Fixed certain ships not being able to dock manually without docking computer.
  • Fixed mass traffic ships not flying correctly when returning to dock.
  • Fixed ships getting very large number of Attack orders if they have Attack assignment and their commander engages many targets.
  • Fixed promoted subordinates sometimes inheriting an assignment that they cannot fulfil.
  • Fixed newly promoted subordinates inheriting their former commander's assignment but not updating their behaviour.
  • Fixed boarding ships sometimes not launching pods.
  • Fixed turrets in Attack my current target mode sometimes not shooting when targeting station.
  • Fixed turrets on certain stations consistently missing capital ships.
  • Fixed weapon aiming problems when shooter rotates or moves laterally to target.
  • Fixed transport or build drones remaining unavailable under certain conditions.
  • Fixed venture ship being lost due to destroyed/moved venture docks when free venture dock is available.
  • Fixed defence modules not getting turrets on some stations where they should.
  • Fixed Split storage modules missing shields and turrets.
  • Fixed stuck trades between stations and build storage.
  • Fixed ships getting stuck in docking bay.
  • Fixed wrecks triggering player alerts.
  • Fixed getting notifications and logbook entries for player-owned drones and laser towers getting destroyed.
  • Fixed laser towers stuck in highways.
  • Fixed asteroids accumulating when repeatedly saving and loading in same location (corrects previous fix).
  • Fixed higher trade ranks and associated achievements being somewhat too difficult to achieve.
  • Fixed higher fight ranks and associated achievements being much too difficult to achieve.
  • Fixed fight rank not increasing when player destroys station modules.
  • Fixed transporter doors on M ships not closing when NPCs use them.
  • Fixed exploit allowing crew members to be cloned in certain situations.
  • Fixed exploit involving selling ship equipment by transferring credits when build process is complete.
  • Fixed exploit allowing licence and blueprint purchases to be made with insufficient funds.
  • Fixed incorrectly scaled satellite ranges on map.
  • Fixed discrepancies in information presented by boarding menu during operations.
  • Fixed loadout statistics not taking equipment mods on grouped turrets into account.
  • Fixed empty Import Construction Plans context menu under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed Ship Configuration menu not working when accessed at resupply ship under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed station storage display in Info menu if station storage is empty.
  • Fixed all module categories being collapsed when editing module loadout in Station Build menu.
  • Fixed Behaviour and Individual Instruction menus jumping to top row after scrolling on right side.
  • Fixed sliders for order parameters in Behaviour menu not working correctly with mouse.
  • Fixed overlapping texts for station accounts in Object Info menu.
  • Fixed Loadout Info tab with high UI scale settings.
  • Fixed selecting hologram on Split capital ship bridge resulting in player taking control of ship.
  • Fixed multiple minor glitches related to mouse click handling, e.g. clicks on NPCs sometimes immediately selecting dialog menu option.
  • Fixed visual hole in bridge on large Argon ships.
  • Fixed positional lights on Argon defence tube appearing in wrong position in upgrade menu.
  • Fixed small Mass Driver Mk1 and Mk2 appearing visually disconnected in upgrade menu.
  • Fixed Split defence module details being disconnected in upgrade menu.
  • Fixed floating and intersecting turrets on Teladi defence platform.
  • Fixed slightly offset guns on Tuatara.
  • Fixed gun on Jaguar not being properly visually attached to ship hull.
  • Fixed shields on Wyvern not protecting surface elements.
  • Fixed misplaced rear turrets and shield generator on Rattlesnake.
  • Fixed wrongly rotated shield generator on Raptor.
  • Fixed player logos on Raptor not being properly visible.
  • Fixed Boso Ta head rotation.
  • Fixed excessive stuttering of engine sound especially on ships flying in formations.
  • Fixed several causes of crashes.

That's a promising beginning for this patch.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Has someone done a masterpost/explainer on fleet compositions? It seems like I can't ever get fleets that win battles, just ones that pulverize everything until they encounter a destroyer and then die immaculately while ignoring flee commands.

e: also i'm mostly sure a lot of that is the AI's fault; watching battles happen between the AI is a whole lot of everyone missing every shot until something nasty connects once and poof.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got this on the Steam sale after keeping it on my wishlist for a year. I've only done the first tutorial (crouching? really?) so far, but it looks promising. Any recommended mods?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is the new beta private? I was on the 3.30 beta but it disappeared this morning and now I can't load any 3.30 saves on the 3.20 branch.\

:doh: Nevermind, just had to enter the password again, same as last time. And no my saves aren't backed up because I riddle them with mods.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 2, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, you had backed up your saves, right?

Anyway, no, they just released another beta patch, which I am currently on.

RE: fleets: One carrier, two destroyers in an attack wing, mix of plasma and pulse novas in squads of 20 should do the trick fine. Pulse are better as interception wings, plasma better for attack to shred M and up. I rarely lose anything OOS.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I can't seem to get my economy off the ground. I have a microchip anf ship hull factory but that poo poo aint selling to anybody.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Sedisp posted:

I can't seem to get my economy off the ground. I have a microchip anf ship hull factory but that poo poo aint selling to anybody.

If you haven't already done so, double check your trade rules just to be sure factions are permitted to buy goods from your facilities. I had made some very strict trade rules at the start of one game and ran into the same problem until I corrected them.

Also, hull parts and microchips tend to sell rather well near conflict sectors. So, location might be a factor. However, you still may want to review your global or individual trade rules.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Set the price to 1 credit less than than 50%

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
"Fixed Boso Ta head rotation."
Game ruined, uninstalling.

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this on the Steam sale after keeping it on my wishlist for a year. I've only done the first tutorial (crouching? really?) so far, but it looks promising. Any recommended mods?

there are a bunch that I use to sidestep some grind (paintjobs 4 sale) or make the universe massive, (dead air gate overhaul) but, i guess thats stuff you might be more into after a few thousand restarts and a year of playing. or something. hm, one early annoyance is some of the stuff you pick up is tagged as naughty, but is really useful when you work out what its for, if not vital for a couple of later missions, ;)
so, legalize it or similar might be good for a starter mod.
Also, another useful (?) tip that's not immediately obvious: when ppl (anyone, either yours or any factions) are mining when you are in system, objects that are useful aside from the ores that they are mining drop, and you can send a ship to go pick them up, and grab them from the pilot (or get them to drop them off at your hq later) lodestones or spacefly eggs, for instance. both are needed for plot eventually, if you have the split expansion, (recommended cos the split ships are the mad, fun ones to fly and pew pew pew with, even better than the paranid ones.) also, spacefly caviar sells for the price of a decked out s ship.

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 6, 2020

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

If I've set up shop in Argon space am I relatively safe if I piss off the ZYA? Want to supplement my station income with piracy and get a rattlesnake or four.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Nothing inherently dangerous about being hostile with the ZYA, but I think you're probably better off capturing SCA destroyers to flip for cash and buying the rattlesnakes normally instead. Boarding a rattlesnake is a really quick way to dispose of all of your marines unless you've worked or cheated your way to a full complement of 5 star dudes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

timn posted:

Nothing inherently dangerous about being hostile with the ZYA, but I think you're probably better off capturing SCA destroyers to flip for cash and buying the rattlesnakes normally instead. Boarding a rattlesnake is a really quick way to dispose of all of your marines unless you've worked or cheated your way to a full complement of 5 star dudes.

SCA destroyers have all but disappeared for me. Haven't seen one in Noplieos or Hewas Twin in a couple dozen hours.

Was planning on loading up an L freighter or two with Marines and sending grunts to their doom.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I just randomly found a Split Dragon adrift a few km from the Player HQ. Had Mk IV engines.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Taerkar posted:

I just randomly found a Split Dragon adrift a few km from the Player HQ. Had Mk IV engines.

Oh drat, that's interesting - maybe I need to go over and take a look for it myself, assuming it's not a random spawn. (ARE some derelict ships randomly spawned? I'm not sure..)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

AI versus AI battles won't, in vanilla, result in bails. Player AI (your fleet) has an extremely low chance to produce a bail when engaged with AI.

Mods of course can change this. I used to run a mod for X3 that like quadrupled bail chances of AI to AI fights, and my universe was littered with empty ships. So I installed a mod that basically made all factions have scavengers who claimed said empty ships.it was honestly kind of awesome.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Sedisp posted:

SCA destroyers have all but disappeared for me. Haven't seen one in Noplieos or Hewas Twin in a couple dozen hours.

Was planning on loading up an L freighter or two with Marines and sending grunts to their doom.

Just in case you aren't doing this already, my go-to method for finding them is to set satellites at every gate to/from a neutral sector and create a custom alert to ping whenever an SCA capital ship is detected. The cool thing about custom alerts is that if you go to your alerts history and click the little arrow button it will jump you to the ship's current location on the map even if you don't have satellite coverage there. So you can send a really fast scout to that area, use the button in the alert history again, then rinse and repeat until your scout makes actual radar contact.

Circumstances might be different in your game, but once I got the satellites and the custom alert out, I went from hardly ever seeing SCA capitals in person to getting pinged about far more of them than I could keep up with in terms of boarding.

I think it's easily the best way to make cash once you've kitted out your own corvette for disabling them and a frigate or two for the marines (sending L ships after a boarding target takes forever because they're so slow, frigates are reasonably fast and have high crew capacity so you can just use a couple of them instead). The SCA are total pushovers and each destroyer flips for a good 8-12 million.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

timn posted:

Just in case you aren't doing this already, my go-to method for finding them is to set satellites at every gate to/from a neutral sector and create a custom alert to ping whenever an SCA capital ship is detected. The cool thing about custom alerts is that if you go to your alerts history and click the little arrow button it will jump you to the ship's current location on the map even if you don't have satellite coverage there. So you can send a really fast scout to that area, use the button in the alert history again, then rinse and repeat until your scout makes actual radar contact.

Wait wait wait, you can do this?! :aaaaa: drat this would've saved me so much time, tracking down SCA Phoenixes...are there any resources anywhere, on how to set up alerts for satellites, etc? (Additionally, could I also set up alerts for whenever a HOP/XEN/KHA ship is detected by my ships? Just so that I can pause and deal with the situation, before it gets destroyed or damaged)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

timn posted:

Circumstances might be different in your game, but once I got the satellites and the custom alert out, I went from hardly ever seeing SCA capitals in person to getting pinged about far more of them than I could keep up with in terms of boarding.

I think it's easily the best way to make cash once you've kitted out your own corvette for disabling them and a frigate or two for the marines (sending L ships after a boarding target takes forever because they're so slow, frigates are reasonably fast and have high crew capacity so you can just use a couple of them instead). The SCA are total pushovers and each destroyer flips for a good 8-12 million.

I had the alert set up but never thought the satellites would trigger the ping. Are the regular satellites good enough for this?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Wait wait wait, you can do this?! :aaaaa: drat this would've saved me so much time, tracking down SCA Phoenixes...are there any resources anywhere, on how to set up alerts for satellites, etc? (Additionally, could I also set up alerts for whenever a HOP/XEN/KHA ship is detected by my ships? Just so that I can pause and deal with the situation, before it gets destroyed or damaged)

The interface for creating custom alerts is in the global orders menu, the same place where you can set up travel restrictions and default ship behaviors.

Sedisp posted:

I had the alert set up but never thought the satellites would trigger the ping. Are the regular satellites good enough for this?

Yep, regular satellites work just fine.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Anyone try the 3.30 beta yet? The patch notes seem a bit sparse with only a few QoL changes.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I played a few hours at release and since then I'm permanently in "Oh, next patch isn't that far off, might as well wait for it!" - mode

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the steam reviews for this game are still very uneven, have the various patches made the game somewhat comparable in quality to x3, or is it still more of a rebirth?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's always been more like X3 and the split expansion adds a good amount of new sectors and plots to play. But it still plays a lot faster than X3.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

double nine posted:

the steam reviews for this game are still very uneven, have the various patches made the game somewhat comparable in quality to x3, or is it still more of a rebirth?

Played about 200 hours in 3.1-3.2 patches, completing all the plots and taking over xenon sectors. The only bugs I've seen was Boso's head twisting 180 degrees and station subordinate ship AI falling into stupor when more production modules are added until they're unassigned and reassigned.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It doesn't have the decade and a half of expansions, patches, and mod refinements X3 has so if you are well entrenched in a custom X3 and still having fun you might not be swayed.

I also don't want to say it needs another decade and a half to rival it. The economy, ally automation and control, and combat generally work as is which I would never say about any instance of X3. The long distance travel pulled in from Rebirth mixed with the X economy descended from X3 feels really good and the semi-a-la-carte campaigns are kind of exactly what I want out of a story mission line in a sandbox space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The latest patch notes mention that they "fixed" the "bug" of getting ship blueprints after emp-ing ships.
so, thats bullshit.
wtf is the point of having emp's if not for that specific purpose, I don't feel like role playing "Mr Fixit with an aggressive desire to create problems for me to fix".....