Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I'm almost done with with Travelers, great rec. I wish it moved a little faster for a 45 min show.

I started watching the rest of Always Sunny. I had been annoyed with it for awhile but I'm enjoying the later seasons.

Also started Season 2 of Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive in. I've seen Third Exorcist Movie (boring), Heather's, Animal Holocaust, One Cut of the Dead. Deadbeat at Dawn is worth a watch, and so is Brain Damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Dollhouse for the first time, and it's kind of cheesy but fun. I did like the fact that Brink made reference to BSG as a TV show in a TV show where half the cast was on BSG.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been watching Dollhouse for the first time, and it's kind of cheesy but fun. I did like the fact that Brink made reference to BSG as a TV show in a TV show where half the cast was on BSG.

I have a soft spot for Dollhouse. It has it's problems, but it actually gets better as it goes on. Or at least it become more of an ongoing story that the generic x-of-the-week concept it kind of starts as, it reminds me a bit of Person of Interest in that respect. One of those shows that they knew was going to get cancelled so they really had to accelerate the story and as a result the last few episodes get pretty bonkers.

And just read a couple of synopsis to remind myself and lol that the post-apocalyptic, it's-all-gone-to-poo poo, final episode is set in 2020 <- Actual big plot spoiler so do not read if you care at all about that.

Edit: Oh I read a bit more and that stuff was at the end of Season 1 as well so may not be as big a spoiler as I thought. I had forgotten that.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 18, 2020

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Trig Discipline posted:

Dollhouse was a show that didn't find its feet until very late, at which point it got exponentially better. But then it was over, unfortunately.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

Or at least it become more of an ongoing story that the generic x-of-the-week concept it kind of starts as, it reminds me a bit of Person of Interest in that respect.

I always use Fringe as the go-to example of this.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I decided to take everyone's advice on Schitt's Creek and just stick with it for a while. By mid-season 2 I was like "ok, this is like a different take on Corner Gas basically, I can roll with that" and then midway through season 3 a certain character (Patrick) showed up and I was officially obsessed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah we're actually near the end now and it really has just gotten better and better.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Cool. I'm tempted to do a rewatch as it's been a while, but so much current stuff to catch up on.

Julio Cruz posted:

I always use Fringe as the go-to example of this.

Yeah, that was the other one I was thinking of. I guess, speaking of things that influenced Fringe, X-files and the idea of standalone and "mythology" episodes has got to be one of the first.

Some of them signal it in the first episode with some kind of Shadowy figure watching our heroes on a monitor leans back and shrugs, "well that didn't work... onto phase 2". Life (Damian Lewis as wrongfully imprisoned cop who gets a massive settlement, decides to return to his old job)... which seems to be more of a character study thing about someone getting their life back on track, until the final minutes of the first episode the soundtrack kicks in (Dream Awake by The Frames) and there's a reveal of a big-rear end conspiracy wall the guy has hidden in his house, was a pretty cool example of this for me. Others let it stew a bit longer.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 19, 2020

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the second season of What We Do In The Shadows, which continues the wonderful recasting of the movie of the same name. It is just as good as the first season, on which it does rely heavily, with Collin Robinson as my particularly favorite character. Inoffensive, good fun.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched the second season of What We Do In The Shadows, which continues the wonderful recasting of the movie of the same name. It is just as good as the first season, on which it does rely heavily, with Collin Robinson as my particularly favorite character. Inoffensive, good fun.

Inoffensive? I was promised full bush!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finished Dollhouse and it was pretty dang good. We also just watched the unaired pilot and I had to snag this:

:magemage:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dollhouse was one of the ones that got quite hosed by the network as well. The original script for the first episode has the client wanting company for a medieval themed ball or the like but the network decided no how about a motorbike race and a club instead. So generic.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Started watching Fringe on recommendation from a friend. Really enjoying it so far.

Also burning through The Mick. Pretty great show. Too bad it got axed early. At least they got a couple of full seasons before it was trashed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I had recently asked for new shows to start binging with my wife. We had tried some of them, and usually she's the one who decides it isn't her thing and doesn't want to stick with it. Last night, Watchmen was the latest failure, although I watched it and loved it when it was first airing last fall. Homecoming Season 2 was kind of a wet fart for both of us, even though we're both huge Janelle Monae fans who have been to one of her concerts.

But last night I got her to try Scrubs, which I used to love but stopped watching when we started dating back in 2006 and never finished it. She actually liked the first two episodes, so I'm looking forward to making my way back through it with her.

EDIT: I got her to finish the first episode of Watchmen, and she got into it! We binged episodes 2-5 last night, so tonight will be 6-9 while it's still free this weekend.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Started watching Fringe on recommendation from a friend. Really enjoying it so far.

Fringe is one of those shows like The Wire, Banshee, Person of Interest, Hannibal, and Twin Peaks, where I'm jealous of anyone watching it through for the first time, only because you have so much cool stuff ahead. If you like it already, Seasons 2 and 3 in particular are going to blow your mind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 21, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished watching The Great. Really funny, witty intelligent dialogue, loved every second of it. Unfortunately they did the thing where they spend the whole season building up to one very specific very cool-sounding event. Almost every scene is serving toward the buildup to this event. And then they don't show it. I left a superb season feeling let down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Also burning through The Mick. Pretty great show. Too bad it got axed early. At least they got a couple of full seasons before it was trashed.

It was also aired way out of order which I'm sure you've noticed unless they fixed it in streaming. I liked it but very uneven in tone and content.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Constellation I posted:

Just got the Netflix notification that Marcella's new season is out. The previous season ended pretty terribly and was pretty bad overall. But I'm tempted to see how they write their way out of this one.

I just finished all three seasons in about a week. Season 1 was great. Season 2 was decently suspenseful overall, but you're right about the ending being poo poo, and there were quite a few unresolved plot points, e.g. what was the involvement of the new girlfriend, and the woman whose partner wanted to get pregnant? Wasn't the latter the one talking to creepy neighbor guy on the computer? I figured those two plus one more - maybe the woman in charge of the foundation, or the rehab center doctor - were meant to be the 3 women involved in the drug/prostitution ring mentioned in that article, but this was never fleshed out at all .

Season 3 jumped the shark entirely and I wouldn't even recommend a watch. Basically just 8 episodes of Marcella's dissociations/fugues and a threadbare plot, capped off by the most annoying of possible reveals - the "it was her along" twist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

Just finished watching The Great. Really funny, witty intelligent dialogue, loved every second of it. Unfortunately they did the thing where they spend the whole season building up to one very specific very cool-sounding event. Almost every scene is serving toward the buildup to this event. And then they don't show it. I left a superb season feeling let down.

I felt the same way at first but honestly if they do a second season I want Hoult to still be in it because he’s just so loving good. And keeping Peter around but with no power could be really fun.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hoult’s performance in The Great reminded me of John Hannah’s performance in Spartacus. What I mean by that is they both played characters that greatly elevated the shows they were on and they both had the juiciest most insane lines.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I'm four episodes into The Great. I can see how it'd work as a play, like one of those amateur farces, but the charm of its pace and absurdities wore off about half way through the first episode. Mind you, the elaborate sets, costumes and locations are gorgeous, the actors bring a lot to their roles and it is really well produced and directed, but the narrative loses traction fairly early on and there has been no sign of it improving so far. The running gags don't run very far and the dialogue is either tedious or contrived. There is little tension since you know, historically, what's going to happen, and it's not a character study since all the characters are one dimensional gimmicks. Some scenes and characters also vaguely echo Game of Thrones, which, intentional or no, does little to command attention.

It's good fun, but like watching a circus perform: all show and no matter. I like it enough - and I'm bored enough - to watch it through to the end, but I doubt any of it will stick with me.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Hoult’s performance in The Great reminded me of John Hannah’s performance in Spartacus. What I mean by that is they both played characters that greatly elevated the shows they were on and they both had the juiciest most insane lines.

I really need to watch this. Hoult was one of my uh, favorite parts of The Favourite. He's so good at being a snotty little fancyboy.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Just finished watching the Korean drama Itaewon Class on Netflix and I enjoyed it a lot. As far as kdramas go it is pretty different and the first 3/4ths were amazing where it focuses on a revenge story but it lost a bit of its steam at the end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Fringe is one of those shows like The Wire, Banshee, Person of Interest, Hannibal, and Twin Peaks, where I'm jealous of anyone watching it through for the first time, only because you have so much cool stuff ahead.

Babylon 5 says hi ! We've got a thread where 3 new watchers are trading notes as they go through it. As a long-time fan it's a real treat to see what they pick up on the show with a 2020 perspective (everybody hates Garibaldi, because he's a cop).

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Watching The marvelous Mrs Maisel with my wife, it's pretty good. It feels like a musical at moments but nothing annoying so far halfway season 2 and nobody bursted out singing thus far.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ToxicToast posted:

Just finished watching the Korean drama Itaewon Class on Netflix and I enjoyed it a lot. As far as kdramas go it is pretty different and the first 3/4ths were amazing where it focuses on a revenge story but it lost a bit of its steam at the end.

Cool, I was really impressed by Kim Da-Mi in The Witch and that little last bit in her character's description on wikipedia she is a sociopath should be good.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the 4400 over the past few days and it was alright. Although I think there was some really out of place and weird moralizing going on during it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am about halfway through season 3 of [long dramatic pause, close-up of june's head making some face] The Handmaids Tale. Watched s1 about the time it was originally released. Only now got around to s2 and s3. I find the story and world really interesting, but I hate the pacing and the constant long dramatic pauses while june makes some face. I want to know more about the events that led up to gilead and more about the outside world.

I also watched s1 & 2 of Altered Carbon. Season 1 was good, season 2 was kind of confusing.

And lastly I watched s3 of True Detective, much better than the 2nd. I liked all of it but the very, very end was maybe a little too much.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Klaaz posted:

Watching The marvelous Mrs Maisel with my wife, it's pretty good. It feels like a musical at moments but nothing annoying so far halfway season 2 and nobody bursted out singing thus far.

This is exactly what it's like, a musical with no musical numbers in it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Im watching s1 wellington paranormal and its great. The first two episodes are funny, but the haunted house one is goddamn hilarious.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
My roommates and I are completely obsessed with Alone, the History Channel show where wilderness survival experts try to outlast each other alone in extreme locations. They have a small amount of survival gear and that's it. The winner is the one who remains after everyone else taps out or is pulled for medical reasons. All filming is done by the contestants themselves, and they never see any other human except during required medical checks.

It's almost completely gimmick-free, and it increasingly attracts REALLY serious competitors, to the point where even getting on the show is now one of the highest honors in the survival/homesteading/ancestral skills/etc communities. The first couple of seasons were mostly skilled amateurs, but now winners are lasting 2+ months out there before the next-to-last person taps out, and are building full cabins with loving chimneys and stuff and taking down big game with primitive bows. It rules.

Only caveat: hunting and fishing is a big part of the show, and contestants are frequently shown killing animals onscreen. All of them are very concerned with doing it humanely, but it still might be too much for some people. My roommates are both vegetarians and have no problem with it though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We just binged through Mythic Quest in two days and really enjoyed it. Sort of like a more light-hearted Silicon Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaPCYRPhY0

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I started Person of Interest a couple weeks ago, just made it to season 2. Pretty sure I picked it up due to people talking about it here.

It’s like a weird, proto westworld/blacklist/CSI crossover show so far. Has some of the same cheesy wooden dialog you’d see in the latter two shows, but then has this wildly incongruous, epic Ramin Djawadi soundtrack that gives a good preview of the direction of his future work. Which cracks me up, some scene of a dude looking at a computer monitor will have some “The Night King” style track behind it.

Much like Blacklist it’s main story seems to be doled out over seasons, and while the S1 finale twist wasn’t quite as big as I’d hoped, the slow exposure of plot points has kept me hooked.

E: and Jim Caviezel’s delivery is like a stiffer Geralt. I’m not fully onboard with that, the monotonal whisper is way less fun without random “fucks” strewn about, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 2, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I went through the F is for Family just a couple of days ago and I need to say that

-This is like the "Simpsons", but where the continuity happens and things actually develop
-Frank surely is a grade A rear end in a top hat, but Kevin isn't exactly a winning argument against his anger
-The first season cliffhanger was just stupid; sure, why not let go the only person who could keep the company alive
-The bully kid Jimmy, again like in Simpsons with late season Jimmy et al, is just too much to be believable. That kid, along with the Simpson bullies would be in juvie/jail for most of the poo poo they seem to pull of without anyone caring about it.

But otherwise very good, very good indeed. I'd say it "the Simpsons where continuity took place", so lets see if they also get 32 seasons.

And a respectable replacement for the Sad Horse Show, since I just binged the first what, 5 years. ( I thought it was Paradise PD but with family and kept skipping it)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

My roommates and I are completely obsessed with Alone, the History Channel show where wilderness survival experts try to outlast each other alone in extreme locations. They have a small amount of survival gear and that's it. The winner is the one who remains after everyone else taps out or is pulled for medical reasons. All filming is done by the contestants themselves, and they never see any other human except during required medical checks.

It's almost completely gimmick-free, and it increasingly attracts REALLY serious competitors, to the point where even getting on the show is now one of the highest honors in the survival/homesteading/ancestral skills/etc communities. The first couple of seasons were mostly skilled amateurs, but now winners are lasting 2+ months out there before the next-to-last person taps out, and are building full cabins with loving chimneys and stuff and taking down big game with primitive bows. It rules.

Only caveat: hunting and fishing is a big part of the show, and contestants are frequently shown killing animals onscreen. All of them are very concerned with doing it humanely, but it still might be too much for some people. My roommates are both vegetarians and have no problem with it though.

this sounds good, gonna add it to my list.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I know cop shows aren't very woke at the moment, especially ones where at least one person gets shot by the Po Po every week, but I ended up working my way through both series of The Rookie fairly quickly. It's pretty much a Castle sequel.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kinda mad about this. I finished my Community binge recently and this was one of the best episodes.
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/community-netflix-and-hulu-remove-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode/

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Der Kyhe posted:

I went through the F is for Family just a couple of days ago and I need to say that

-This is like the "Simpsons", but where the continuity happens and things actually develop
-Frank surely is a grade A rear end in a top hat, but Kevin isn't exactly a winning argument against his anger
-The first season cliffhanger was just stupid; sure, why not let go the only person who could keep the company alive
-The bully kid Jimmy, again like in Simpsons with late season Jimmy et al, is just too much to be believable. That kid, along with the Simpson bullies would be in juvie/jail for most of the poo poo they seem to pull of without anyone caring about it.

But otherwise very good, very good indeed. I'd say it "the Simpsons where continuity took place", so lets see if they also get 32 seasons.

I liked the first season, but haven’t made it past the first episodes of the second one so far. My wife was like: Jesus loving Christ are they gonna keep loving swearing like this the whole loving series? So, kinda forgot about it. Should give it another try.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

showbiz_liz posted:

This was just added to Netflix and I love it. I enjoyed the original Survival Man and this show is done pretty much exactly how he did it like you said without a camera crew.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished watching through the entirety of 30 Rock over the last month. What a great series finale! There was even an Aardvark joke in it! I haven't felt this sad about running out of a tv show in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Just finished watching through the entirety of 30 Rock over the last month. What a great series finale! There was even an Aardvark joke in it! I haven't felt this sad about running out of a tv show in ages.

If you haven't seen The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, it's another show created and written by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, with a similar rapid-fire stream of jokes, more Jane Krakowski, and unfortunately more annoying score music by Tina's husband Jeff Richmond. But it's another terrific, hilarious show overall.