Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the rate of hospitalization and deaths in sweden having slowed down significantly despite all measures suggesting we're very far from any kind of herd immunity has suggested one thing to me: getting herd immunity among the systematically irresponsible goes a long way towards keeping things under control.

so don't despair too badly, if indeed you were, jonny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm pretty sure i'm going to get corona every spring and fall until i die at the ripe old age of 53

i just want to outlive nargle, it's my duty to give her the fullest and longest happy life that i can. that's honestly all i care about any more.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

haveblue posted:

I work(ed) in a two bank building, one side of the hall went to the bottom half and one went to the top. I though there were pretty clearly labeled but yeah people would constantly get on the wrong ones and get confused when there was no button for their floor

only about 30 floors too, I’m surprised they thought it was worthwhile but I’m not an architect
The solution to several problems here is to have the floor destination buttons in the lobby; after pressing one the system then tells you which elevator to get on. Other cars might arrive before yours, but they're not going to the floor you want.

This way you can program it for throughput efficiency. Less instances of one person going to a single floor, as you can have the car that was already bound for there pick them up on the way.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm still lolling at how badly the actual dangers of covid were messaged. there's are still people out there who think it's just like the flu except a little worse or exclusively a respiratory virus that can only cause lung damage

meanwhile it turns out that covid can (and does) affect any system that has an abundance of ace2 receptors which, while definitely including the nose, mouth, and lungs, also includes the gi system, kidneys, liver, heart, and vascular system

we're in for a rough time as more people get infected

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm pretty sure i'm going to get corona every spring and fall until i die at the ripe old age of 53

i just want to outlive nargle, it's my duty to give her the fullest and longest happy life that i can. that's honestly all i care about any more.
it's everyone's duty to outlive kissinger

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

well i mean none of the health experts were really saying masks didnt work because they honestly believed they didnt work. they were lying to prevent a run on masks so there were enough for healthcare workers. maybe the government shouldnt constantly ruin its credibility if it wants people to listen
to the extent this is true (there are several permutations of “the lie”) a rational adult could still process it in full and come out on the side of “welp i knew we should have worn masks all along so i’m deffo going to wear one now”. this has been the experience in canada for the most part

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
well, eastern canada at least. can’t really vouch for the chud petrosexual outposts in alberta

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
we (Newfoundland) have had one case in the last 40 days and are still opening cautiously lol y’all are hosed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

scottch posted:

we (Newfoundland) have had one case in the last 40 days and are still opening cautiously lol y’all are hosed
most of the atlantic provinces have done quite well, but are still taking it easy until there’s a vaccine. generally good role models that no one will pay any attention to lol. glad to be here instead of some of the more dangerous places like toronto or montreal, these days

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1274549340053307392?s=21

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

you're going to be ok man.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
jonny is a survivor and a good dude.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

We had an all hands meeting about coming back to work with our manager this past week and upper management also sat in. Upper management was shocked that the majority of us outside of the chuds, refused to go in until late 2020, early 2021. :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm still lolling at how badly the actual dangers of covid were messaged. there's are still people out there who think it's just like the flu except a little worse or exclusively a respiratory virus that can only cause lung damage

meanwhile it turns out that covid can (and does) affect any system that has an abundance of ace2 receptors which, while definitely including the nose, mouth, and lungs, also includes the gi system, kidneys, liver, heart, and vascular system

we're in for a rough time as more people get infected

It’s completely loving insane and criminally irresponsible that this is being communicated as 1% die / 99% live when something like 40% of people evince long term consequences. It’s a continuum of life-affecting consequences, not a binary.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It’s completely loving insane and criminally irresponsible that this is being communicated as 1% die / 99% live when something like 40% of people evince long term consequences. It’s a continuum of life-affecting consequences, not a binary.

40% of people infected have long term after effects?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it’s in rich people’s interests that the rest of the world not think about more than 20 minutes into the future.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DuckConference posted:

it ages your respiratory and circulatory systems anywhere from 5 to 30 years, yes.

before and after on a weightlifting RN

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

it ages your respiratory and circulatory systems anywhere from 5 to 30 years, yes.

before and after on a weightlifting RN

Wasn't this guy on a ventilator?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah and that was right after he got back from the hospital iirc, not (necessarily) permanent damage done to him

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DuckConference posted:

That’s the ballpark figure I saw, yeah.

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/09/long-haul-symptoms

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DuckConference posted:

i think it might be 40% of people who have to be put on a ventilator and/or oxygen?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

prefect posted:

i think it might be 40% of people who have to be put on a ventilator and/or oxygen?

yeah that's the gist I'm getting from a quick googling, but there just aren't solid studies of this yet I think. eg. https://www.yalemedicine.org/stories/covid-19-recovery/

you and the people you love are probably going to be ok. yeah there is a risk that they might not be and we need to do what we can to reduce that, but even still your risk of serious negative outcomes is probably low. even if your loved one is in a nursing home, it seems that they still are still more likely than not to make it through COVID*

*the rate of death from CVOID19 for people living in nursing homes from seems to be in the 10-20% range

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde
my wife has not seen a patient over 70 survive it yet

however her patients are vets, so there's some bias there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doctors only see the people who are sick enough to go into the hospital

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's gotta be tough :sympathy:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah we aren't witnessing the 70+ year olds dying at home

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

doctors only see the people who are sick enough to go into the hospital

and palliative doctors in particular are not seeing, uh, ideal patients in the first place too

but then again these are people who have the american version of socialized healthcare, so fwiw they're more likely to avail themselves of the system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like when i started riding a motorcycle a relative who works in physical therapy was like "oh my god, no, every motorcyclist i know got in a horrible accident" and it's like hmmmmm do you think you're seeing a representative sample of the population or

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

oh hey, it me

i've been having symptoms off and on since april 9th. after the first awful 3 weeks (flu-like symptoms + shortness of breath) they went away for 2 weeks and then came back. now they're off and on and vary. sometimes it's just deep exhaustion. sometimes awful headaches. right now it's some awful reflux and bloating

it really loving sucks and i'm not excited to see what my body is doing in 6 months or a year

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and palliative doctors in particular are not seeing, uh, ideal patients in the first place too

but then again these are people who have the american version of socialized healthcare, so fwiw they're more likely to avail themselves of the system

is that what your wife does? palliative? super-important and good work, but it seems like it would be psychologically difficult

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

prefect posted:

is that what your wife does? palliative? super-important and good work, but it seems like it would be psychologically difficult

married to an Engineer so psychologically difficult is old hat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

married to an Engineer so psychologically difficult is old hat

she puts up with me because i do all the cooking lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

she puts up with me because i do all the cooking lol

brb photoshopping a justin wilson head onto the dancing robot gif

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

like when i started riding a motorcycle a relative who works in physical therapy was like "oh my god, no, every motorcyclist i know got in a horrible accident" and it's like hmmmmm do you think you're seeing a representative sample of the population or

she is seeing a representative sample, actually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

she is seeing a representative sample, actually

nah

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

My grandmother is like 82 and had it no worse than a bad cold, there's deffo lots of variability even at that age.

IDK if it's still current but there were some stats from a while ago suggesting that the fatality rate in old people was very close to their existing one year fatality rate, which is still pretty high!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably hard to judge, but the skew with age continues to be gigantic. in sweden where schools were never closed, and the general advice was to let kids live as normal, the skew remains pretty complete:

(deaths per age group)

i'd cite the death/survival rates in intensive care by age group, but i don't think those stats compare things in a very useful way, as the number of deaths is significantly higher than the unique intensive care cases (most likely a lot of patients who are immediately judged extremely unlikely to survive ventilation).