Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
too beautiful for this world

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not okay with that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zvahl posted:

Cursed thread is that away...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zvahl posted:

Is that the controller someone flipped out over because it wouldn't work with a new steam game in 2012?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Kinda tempted by cook, serve delicious 3, didn't play 2 but had a lot of fun with original

Orv posted:

I feel like the CSD fans in here have said that 3 is more in line with 1 but I wouldn't take my word on that. Paging Strix basically.

Hello! I put 25 hours into CSD1, 21 into 2, and 65 hours into CSD3. I think 3 > 1 >>>> 2. It takes all of the improvements of 2, ditches the bad format and other problems, and makes for the single most compelling evolution of the CSD format yet. You run a food truck as you travel across the ruined USA (post World War) and the food is delicious, the gameplay fast and fun, and it's just such a good time.

For a game in early access, this mostly means that not all of the levels are in yet (but you still get like 100+ levels it's HUGE) nor the customization options for cosmetics. (but you can put trans flags in your truck already so like what more do you want)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s not really true since Fallout New Vegas, which was a decade ago. That reputation certainly has stuck with them, though.

Nah, both Pillars games and Tyranny were pretty drat buggy at release as well. Not AS bad as New Vegas but still fairly rough.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would always laugh when I saw some American goon talking about 'eurojank' because I immediately had to think of Obsidian. I think that's improved though, I played Deadfire recently and I don't remember encountering any bugs at all.

e: caveat, I played it several years after release

Veotax
May 16, 2006

pentyne posted:

Is that the controller someone flipped out over because it wouldn't work with a new steam game in 2012?

If I remember rightly, that was Bastion. When he bitched about it on twitter the lead dev on Bastion apologised for not supporting his ancient controller and offered to send him a 360 pad, to which buddy responded with something along the lines of "how dare you try to bribe me!".

I wish I could remember who it was, I want to say Mr Bibs, but I think it was someone else who was a similar kind of stupid.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Pillars 1 had a bug at launch where the invisible traps generated by one chanter skills weren't deleted at the end of combat so you were steadily filling the world with these objects that the game would keep track of, leading to things like longer and longer load times, lag on looting items, and massive save files

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

If I remember rightly, that was Bastion. When he bitched about it on twitter the lead dev on Bastion apologised for not supporting his ancient controller and offered to send him a 360 pad, to which buddy responded with something along the lines of "how dare you try to bribe me!".

I wish I could remember who it was, I want to say Mr Bibs, but I think it was someone else who was a similar kind of stupid.

ChiibiSoma. We were just talking about him and his controller stuff in the SA Sagas thread the other day. Mr. Bibs is obtuse sometimes but he’s never a straight-up dick like that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zvahl posted:

This is what I would give Player 2 to play Mario Kart with

On N64

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I would always laugh when I saw some American goon talking about 'eurojank' because I immediately had to think of Obsidian. I think that's improved though, I played Deadfire recently and I don't remember encountering any bugs at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_Home_Interactive

Going down that list every game I've played from that company has been a janky mess, some barely playable at all including not one but 2 games that got the Game of Thrones license and were completely terrible.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The thing is that true eurojank isn't about the locale of the company, it's spiritual. You know when a game is that cause it just oozes the jank.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Ugh, now I have jank on my fingers

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Cook Serve Delicious 3 soundtrack is top-notch also. I have this song jammed in my brain just from watching someone else play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LjnEzLaqM

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
PoE1 had a funny bug at launch where equipping and unequipping items that gave stat boosts would have the bonus linger after unequipping while also stacking with itself.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Hellbound did not run on my potato laptop (Grounded was able to, somehow.. I would play the full game on my desktop of course, but that surprised me) but I was kinda wary about the game anyway, because it's by the developer of a bunch of lovely horror games (the Doorways series), and the one Doorways game I played was total garbage.
Have you played Doom, Quake, or any game derived from Doom? Then you've played Hellbound. There's nothing original in it at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I feel like something must have happened behind the scenes at Steam recently for so many games to finally being available through it all seemingly in the same short period. Sims 4, Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves. That kind of thing.

Or maybe the producers of those games are feeling economic uncertainty due to Coronavirus.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
EA owns a lot of titles. Sea of Thieves coming over had been in the works for several months, I think.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, it's just a coincidence. EA decided to hold all their games back until they could release them as part of a big event, whereas Microsoft has settled on quietly dropping each one whenever they're ready.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zesty posted:

I feel like something must have happened behind the scenes at Steam recently for so many games to finally being available through it all seemingly in the same short period. Sims 4, Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves. That kind of thing.

Or maybe the producers of those games are feeling economic uncertainty due to Coronavirus.

EA probably realized that after the reception of their last 2-3 non-sports games that they're basically just flushing potential money down the drain by not being on Steam. Even with the 30% (or whatever Steam is getting now) cut that's still a ton more people buying a game sight unseen who aren't games savvy enough to go track down Origin and then potentially not buy it because "X EA game was poo poo."

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Blessed page

Edit: sorry, I thought this was cspam for a second, so let me pad this with some content.

Got Dead Space 1 and 2 for 5 bucks apiece. Got that RE4 itch, and I figure this will help me scratch it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zvahl posted:

Not what's going on here, but I always felt like there was some design space for behind-the-controller buttons. Like the Steam Controller has, except attached to a controller that's less poo poo overall

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Not what's going on here, but I always felt like there was some design space for behind-the-controller buttons. Like the Steam Controller has, except attached to a controller that's less poo poo overall

the xbox elite controller has those, and sony makes an add-on for the ds4 which tacks them on

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

SardonicTyrant posted:

Blessed page

Edit: sorry, I thought this was cspam for a second, so let me pad this with some content.

Got Dead Space 1 and 2 for 5 bucks apiece. Got that RE4 itch, and I figure this will help me scratch it.

if you're going to play dead space 1, look up the weird early game door glitch and figure out how to get around it before you get frustrated trying to figure out if it exists or not--apparently if your computer is too good for 2008 standards there's an early game event that fails to trigger for some reason and you can't go through the door right after you get the first weapon.

there's a way to fix this but it's a huge hassle

alternately do what I did and just play 2 instead, it's mostly a better game other than that isaac never shuts up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

repiv posted:

the xbox elite controller has those, and sony makes an add-on for the ds4 which tacks them on

I have no idea why they’re not going to be standard on the next gen controllers. The back paddles are awesome for poo poo that normally gets mapped to the d-pad, or worse- the dreaded l3/R3 buttons.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
More demo impressions:

Metamorphosis: First-person platformer/walking simulator that feels like a cross between the Franz Kafka story and Alice in Wonderland, where you of course play a man transformed into a cockroach. Demo is very short, but the traversal mechanics and sense of scale feel reasonably polished; looking forward to the full game.
Chicory: A Colorful Tale: 2D Zelda with a cute paintbrush-wielding dog. Incredibly charming, although the demo only offers a pretty limited sense of how the paintbrush will impact puzzle design, but hey, it's a demo.
Milky Way Prince: The Vampire Star: Visual novel with 3D environments about an abusive gay relationship, which is somehow tied to a Little Prince-esque fairy tale about the titular Milky Way Prince. Not completely sold on the writing and unfortunately the 2D character art is embarrassingly bad, but there aren't a lot of games that explore this territory outside of Ren'Py or whatever, so I'm at least intrigued.
LOVE - A Puzzle Box Filled with Stories - Narrative puzzle game where you rotate stories of an apartment building in between past and present timelines to fill in the stories of the building's residents. Seems designed primarily for mobile and I wouldn't be surprised to see it debut on Apple Arcade first, but it controls well enough with a mouse and feels pretty polished..
Ray's The Dead: Like The Wild at Heart, another indie take on Pikmin, but this one has you as a zombie commanding other zombies and more of a focus on combat than on exploration and puzzle-solving. Not bad, but I preferred TWaH.
Industria: It's a reasonably polished walking simulator, then it's a janky-feeling first-person shooter? Nice 80s atmosphere, I guess, but I don't think the demo should have been released in this state (seriously, you have no choice but to restart the whole thing if you die)
Do Not Buy This Game: If you're going to shamelessly knock off The Stanley Parable and The Beginner's Guide, you could do worse than this, I guess. Eh.
Paradise Lost: Walking simulator/adventure about exploring a secret Nazi underground civilization in an alternate history. Seems polished and intriguing enough, though the demo doesn't incorporate any of the supernatural elements from the trailers, which would have made this more interesting.
Esothe: Semi-open-world 3D platformer where your objective is to collect orbs that have been scattered about the world. Far too janky to recommend, unfortunately, and it's baffling that you can't climb onto ledges even though it very much feels like you should.
Transient: First-person adventure/walking sim follow-up to Conarium, this time adding Observer-inspired cyberpunk (including a similar investigation system) on top of Lovecraft. Nothing amazing, but nice visuals and I'll play the full game
Sayri: The Beginning: 3D exploration game starring an alien stranded on an unfamiliar planet. decent visuals, but the environments are tedious to navigate given the lack of jumping and that running is tied to stamina, and the "puzzles" aren't particularly compelling. not recommended

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have no idea why they’re not going to be standard on the next gen controllers. The back paddles are awesome for poo poo that normally gets mapped to the d-pad, or worse- the dreaded l3/R3 buttons.

I'm also mad that Microsoft didn't put a gyro in the Series X controller so gyro aiming is going to be neglected in cross-platform games for yet another generation.

It's so good on the Switch but you almost never see it on the PS4 despite it also having a gyro, presumably because devs want parity with the Xbox version.

edit: no gyro on the xbox means no native gyro support in windows either, because the modern windows gamepad api assumes everything is an xbox pad or clone of one

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 21, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

repiv posted:

I'm also mad that Microsoft didn't put a gyro in the Series X controller so gyro aiming is going to be neglected in cross-platform games for yet another generation.

It's so good on the Switch but you almost never see it on the PS4 despite it also having a gyro, presumably because devs want parity with the Xbox version.

I think Sony put rumble in the triggers in the Duel Sense, so hopefully that'll actually used in more games finally. Seems like so few games use that on the Xbone, let alone PC ports.

But yeah, all the controllers should have gyro and back buttons.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've been playing Outer Wilds and it feels like exposure therapy for my fear of space. It's incredibly spooky in a weird way. The only other game that has triggered that particular "uggh" feeling is Google Earth VR.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

lunar detritus posted:

I've been playing Outer Wilds and it feels like exposure therapy for my fear of space. It's incredibly spooky in a weird way. The only other game that has triggered that particular "uggh" feeling is Google Earth VR.

I'm pretty burned by them offering Steam keys during their crowdfunding and then announcing a year of Epic Game Store exclusivity a couple weeks before release. I had that crowdfunded money refunded. If I get it, it's going to be on sale for less than 10 bucks. I've waited this long.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zesty posted:

I'm pretty burned by them offering Steam keys during their crowdfunding and then announcing a year of Epic Game Store exclusivity a couple weeks before release. I had that crowdfunded money refunded. If I get it, it's going to be on sale for less than 10 bucks. I've waited this long.

Isn't that Outer Worlds?

lol it keeps happening

e: no it also applies to Outer Wilds oh my God, Epic :argh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep, definitely Outer Wilds for my case.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
fortunately only one of the two outer games is worth it

weed page

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

having a dab and playing drg in honor of weed page

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

outer weeds

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Should I get God Eater 3 if I liked Monster Hunter World, but fell off the grind? I also played Code Vein but I didn't like the art style or the plot, and found the plot to be crap?

I'm tempted to get it, but if its an uglier, clunkier MHW then I'll probably give it a pass.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Phlegmish posted:

Eurojank is almost a genre description, like for example Outward is very eurojank even though the developers are Canadian. Not to romanticize it too much but it's more about a game having big ideas but not much budget leading to a unique and weird but unpolished game. If I wanted to pin a eurojank game on Obsidian it would be Alpha Protocol.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Should I get God Eater 3 if I liked Monster Hunter World, but fell off the grind? I also played Code Vein but I didn't like the art style or the plot, and found the plot to be crap?

I'm tempted to get it, but if its an uglier, clunkier MHW then I'll probably give it a pass.

God Eater is literally Monster Hunter with Code Vein's art & plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

edit: no gyro on the xbox means no native gyro support in windows either, because the modern windows gamepad api assumes everything is an xbox pad or clone of one

Same here. I bought an Xbox Elite 2 and while it feels great in hand, the lack of gyro often makes me go back to the DS4 in PC games where gyro aiming makes an improvement - which is any game with aiming really. Regret buying it now, though the buggy software doesn't help either.

Steam's ability to add gyro aiming to any game is a huge feature. BotW/Warframe on the Switch showed me how good gyro aiming can be and I now use Steam to add it to every PC game where it makes sense to run a controller.

The back buttons on the DS4 and Xbox Elite are great, but wish they were exposed as real buttons so Steam can remap them like any other button. Windows needs to add better handling for controllers and not just treat everything as the lowest common denominator.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 21, 2020