Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A grenade launcher??

Edit: is it worth finding some lost cargo and trying to unlock the veteran porter? I assume that’s the person near the paleontologist that’s not connected yet. There’s also one spot not connected by the photographer and I don’t know who that is or if it’s worth pursuing either. I’m not sure how many more upgraded weapons I really need. Like, with the lvl 3 non-lethal assault rifle and the anti-BT handgun I’m pretty set for any situation. If I’m going to do a mission involving mules I can kit up full level 4 armor and ammo pack, and just knock out the entire camp with the rubber bullet assault rifle. I haven’t tried the riot shotgun but I don’t think a gun with less range would be helpful at all.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It fires sleep gas grenades! And also lethal ones but psshh who needs those.

Edit: oh yeah and oil slick grenades that cause enemies to wobble and fall over like a cartoon which is hilarious. They also do this if you throw a poop grenade at them

The veteran porter and the other prepper near the photographer don't really give anything critical, just backpack accessories with various bonuses. You can skip them if you want, but you shouldn't because the veteran porter may or may not be Max Payne

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 14, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The veteran porter is easy to get to from the timefall farm.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

^^^ actually thank you for that clue. Otherwise I would’ve approached from the paleontologist lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

^^^ actually thank you for that clue. Otherwise I would’ve approached from the paleontologist lol.

That's what I did the first time too! :v:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

err spoilers i guess

WHY DID MY CARGO JUST MARRY HER BROTHER????

i hope im missing something but wtf

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hemale in pain posted:

err spoilers i guess

WHY DID MY CARGO JUST MARRY HER BROTHER????

i hope im missing something but wtf

They are not related, many people make this mistake.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Phew, just i could of sworn they were talking about mum or something. It was really weird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Phew, just i could of sworn they were talking about mum or something. It was really weird.

They were talking about her mom.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean everything surrounding those two characters is like a drat fever dream so I don't blame you for a) being confused or b) being concerned that you hallucinated the entire thing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

many people make this mistake.

:psyduck:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The Chiral Artist speaking english stands out so much because most of the other people in the game have a dubbed in voice. I like how Sam Lake (from Finland) sounds like a wild west cowboy. Dorito Pope isn't voicing by Dorito Pope. It might just be Conan OBrien and the Chiral Artist voicing themselves of the various recipients.

I google'd chiral artist because I couldn't remember if she was the artist or if her mother was and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa8Xvz7Ar2c

I expected it to be pervier based on the title of the vid. That's something I didn't even think of trying.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That’s a neat touch. Love that there’s custom dialog for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can do something similar with all of your human cargo.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Midjack posted:

You can do something similar with all of your human cargo.

But not with Mama, I guess.
Or yes?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

But not with Mama, I guess.
Or yes?

You can do it with Mama too.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

New thread title.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I mean you meet the guy, you see a recording of her with childlike music going on and she acts child like and he says "my girl" i assumed they were father/daughter at first. Seeing her in person kinda throws all that all the window though.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
^ I thought the same.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i also thought that, as did my gf

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I love this game but really, really hate the combat. It reminds me of Deus Ex where you spend the entire time sneaking around carefully, and then the game forces you into a combat arena against a hugely overpowered enemy.
I was heading to the Chiral Relay when I got caught by a BT, and had to fight the giant squid thing. I used up all my grenades (which aren't easy to aim when you're stuck in tar on a steep mountainside), the assault rifle seems to do almost no damage at all. I eventually got it down to about 5% health when it jumped me and caused a void out. So now I'm stuck on the top of a loving mountain, next to a crater, and all my gear is ruined and I'm out of supplies. Even if I'd actually killed it I wouldn't be in a much better state, except I'd have a pile of crystals for my trouble and still need to find a private room to restock and repair in.

Earlier on I was trying to shake off one BT when I ran into another, and ended up with two of the big Lion things attacking me at once, and I think I died before I even managed to line up a single shot.

I'm a delivery guy, not a super soldier!

I also know that apparently I have to fight another big BT to get across the tar lake which I'm not at all looking forward to.

Complaining aside, out of curiosity what would the map look like if you let yourself void-out in every single BT zone?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I haven't played this since December. How likely is it that all my wonderful freeways are gone?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Stoatbringer posted:

I love this game but really, really hate the combat. It reminds me of Deus Ex where you spend the entire time sneaking around carefully, and then the game forces you into a combat arena against a hugely overpowered enemy.
I was heading to the Chiral Relay when I got caught by a BT, and had to fight the giant squid thing. I used up all my grenades (which aren't easy to aim when you're stuck in tar on a steep mountainside), the assault rifle seems to do almost no damage at all. I eventually got it down to about 5% health when it jumped me and caused a void out. So now I'm stuck on the top of a loving mountain, next to a crater, and all my gear is ruined and I'm out of supplies. Even if I'd actually killed it I wouldn't be in a much better state, except I'd have a pile of crystals for my trouble and still need to find a private room to restock and repair in.

It's really easy to just run out of the BT zone which makes the boss disappear (and the ghosts don't come back for a while).

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Snuffman posted:

I haven't played this since December. How likely is it that all my wonderful freeways are gone?

I don't think anything decays when you aren't logged in.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

untzthatshit posted:

It's really easy to just run out of the BT zone which makes the boss disappear (and the ghosts don't come back for a while).

I did that with the BT that Higgs throws at you when you transport Mama. When it appeared she said "Run, Sam!" so I took that as a big Game Hint and just kept running and climbing up the hill, and it eventually disappeared. It just seems so odd that the game provides such a huge variety of weapons, most of which are pretty much useless in a fight.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I definitely took the BT with Mama as a big hint to just run since picking up Mama makes you drop any cargo you were carrying, and I didn't see any equipment popping up so I figured it didn't expect me to stick around.

I carried a quad rocket launcher all the way from the paleontologist to Edge Knot City and it was fun to shoot but I could've just taken two assault rifles instead and gotten more damage out of it. I never found a better damage combo than grenade->assault rifle through the blood cloud. I tried firing plain rockets after painting the target with blood but it never seemed to do much.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stoatbringer posted:

I did that with the BT that Higgs throws at you when you transport Mama. When it appeared she said "Run, Sam!" so I took that as a big Game Hint and just kept running and climbing up the hill, and it eventually disappeared. It just seems so odd that the game provides such a huge variety of weapons, most of which are pretty much useless in a fight.

I didn't take the hint so I stuck around to fight it. Interesting thing about that fight is that you can go back inside the facility. Not only does it provide protection from the BT but you can use the terminal during the fight so I crafted myself enough grenades and weapons to take it down. I think I had to recycle some stuff down into crystals to have enough for all the crafting. But of course by killing it I ended up with way more crystals when all was said and done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I definitely took the BT with Mama as a big hint to just run since picking up Mama makes you drop any cargo you were carrying, and I didn't see any equipment popping up so I figured it didn't expect me to stick around.

I carried a quad rocket launcher all the way from the paleontologist to Edge Knot City and it was fun to shoot but I could've just taken two assault rifles instead and gotten more damage out of it. I never found a better damage combo than grenade->assault rifle through the blood cloud. I tried firing plain rockets after painting the target with blood but it never seemed to do much.

I tried running from the BT near Mama and it ate me a couple of times, so I then tried fighting it while carrying Mama, but she was getting beaten up so I finally put her down in the lab building anteroom and killed the BT.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

I tried running from the BT near Mama and it ate me a couple of times, so I then tried fighting it while carrying Mama, but she was getting beaten up so I finally put her down in the lab building anteroom and killed the BT.

That area has those those old highway ruins, which don't get sucked into the tar when the BT spawns. I managed to climb up on one of those and then it was a clean run to the other end which was out of the tar zone. That's awesome you can still use the structure and the terminal!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm pretty sure not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about this game since finishing it. It's one of the best examples of mechanics and story/characters reinforcing one another that I can think of. The mechanics might honestly do a better job conveying its themes than the cutscenes do.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 22, 2020

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I started to reload when I actually got caught by a BT. It's not worth the stress on BB and the ammo.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The blood cloud and bullets combo makes killing bts almost as easy as just running away from them

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Are there any mule camps, preppers or distribution centres that have regular supplies of ceramics? I can find vast quantities of special alloys all over the place but struggle to build roads due to lack of ceramics. There’s a bunch of autopavers on my map which are fully loaded with metal but hardly any ceramics.

The Recycle option could do with a way of transmuting unwanted material into other substances.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Are there any mule camps, preppers or distribution centres that have regular supplies of ceramics? I can find vast quantities of special alloys all over the place but struggle to build roads due to lack of ceramics. There’s a bunch of autopavers on my map which are fully loaded with metal but hardly any ceramics.

The Recycle option could do with a way of transmuting unwanted material into other substances.

There’s a mission in lake knot where you haul ceramics from the dock to the distro center that recurs and is one of the better ways to get lots of ceramics early on.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Midjack posted:

You can also put Mama on a bridge for a special animation or just walk over one.

Forget if I posted this before but (end spoilers) I noticed the the only person cargo you ever hold are women. Mama, Daughter, Bridget = Father, Son, Holy Ghost. Also Lou.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

I was able to finish the roads after connecting all of the network areas by loading up at the different Knot Cities and distribution centers with the required metal/ceramics/chiral crystals in a truck and driving to the next autopaver. The centers refill over time and typically have enough that you can get a huge chunk of materials and still have enough to build anything you need. I also grabbed chiral crystals at preppers shelters instead of hunting it down because it was a lot faster and they also fill up over time. I used a handwritten list to make it easier to keep track of what I needed so I could budget and I'm not sure how I feel about this game tricking me into using a spreadsheet and enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure there is a mule camp with ceramics, I thought there was one for every material. Aren't there two by the Engineer? I think the one to his East has a lot of metals and the one to his West has ceramics.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I thought by midgame, Roads become unimportant. Especially because of the terrain.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

AstroWhale posted:

I thought by midgame, Roads become unimportant. Especially because of the terrain.

I am confused. Define midgame, and tell us why the roads would be unimportant during it. I built every single section of road myself, with moderate to minimal material contributions from other players, and none at all for any of the sections up in the mountains and in the marshes. I spent tens of hours doing it, and it sucked, but it was still the best time investment I made in this game.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. They’re not useful if you go back to the Eastern region at the end of the game, like I have, but they are still key when I am in the central region.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Roads are very useful if you are set on doing all the deliveries. If you just want to play for the story its not worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you're looking to quickly level up your delivery time ranking, building roads and then doing large timed deliveries is the most efficient way of doing that. The added bonus from delivery time of being able to hold your breath longer isn't terribly useful though.